Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Vick is a crybaby

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2011, 04:05 PM   #91
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,341
Re: Vick is a crybaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
SS33, you're weaving the dog fighting charge into this argument which I have no interest in discussing.
It's not the dogfighting issue, but the mindset in his letter to the judge. I have experiences with young people who have done some dumb $hit, all while having it pretty good. The type of responses and justifications I've heard are similar to Vick's.

Quote:
The title of the thread seems a little disingenuous because it singles out Mike Vick as soft or whiny and I don't feel he has a history of whining about being hit late or when things on the gridiron don't go his way.
Him and Reid were whining back in Dec. 2010. Here's another link: Reid, Vick want more protection from officials - Philly.com

As SS & Matty mentioned, work the refs on the field, not in the media.

I take issue with folks saying Vick is so "tough". He's no tougher than any other QB in the league. Is he completely soft, no. He's a smaller guy that absorbs some hits, but it's because of how he plays. Let's not make it like he's FB tough or something. This whiny-baby stuff in the media in itself is soft.

Quote:
My final point is, who in the hell are you ---or any of us-- to say Michael Vick has been coddled all of his life?
Has Vick improved recently, yes. Before his exit from the NFL did he "work his ass off", absolutley not. He's admitted as much.

I'm sure his upbringing prior to folks looking at him for his football abilities wasn't the best. But once he got to HS as a star athlete of his caliber, the rules and treatment are different, I've seen it first hand (not him specifically but with other D1 level athletes). In HS, if he was working harder (and coached better) it could have been him and Warwick in the State Championships instead of Ronald Curry and co. At VT, Vick was the team at the time, and Beamer and co. took care of him. If Vick was "working his ass off" he would've been a lot more prepared to read an NFL defense. It's not all Vick's fault, as VT certainly wasn't/isn't anywhere close to a good NFL development program for QBs. But again Vick's work ethic likely didn't go from stellar in college to crap with the Falcons.

If Vick doesn't have the physical gifts he's been blessed with, he'd be forced to work hard to be the starter. But with his talent, Vick was better than any other QB the Hokies had, or pretty much any QB in the NCAA at the time. In the NCAA (just like HS) players with great talent can get away with not putting in the same work and have a different set of rules from everyone else (coddled).
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-26-2011, 04:50 PM   #92
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,456
Re: Vick is a crybaby

We could go round and round with hypotheticals about Vick's work ethic and gifts. If Vick wasn't blessed with those physical gifts he might be working in a lumber yard instead of playing professional football and the whole conversation is moot. How much better would/could he be if he put in more hours? Tom Brady good? Drew Brees or Petyon Manning good? I don't know. What I do know is, at this point, he's one of the best quarterbacks in the league. He's not among the elite pure passers, but he's definitely one of the best.

We both can agree that our modern day sports culture cater to the most talented and gifted at an early age. Vick is no exception, but he shouldn't be demagogued or singled out for it either.

Last edited by 12thMan; 09-26-2011 at 04:52 PM.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:10 PM   #93
Playmaker
 
mlmpetert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 3,257
Re: Vick is a crybaby

i want to say that as ive stated in other threads i am a huge Vick fan but i hate philly more then any other team. I love watching him play, a perfect world to me is if Vick plays lights out but philly looses each game because of stupid mistakes.

12th i respect your opinion and agree with you on a lot of stuff, but honestly Vick is straight up coddled. And while he may have been busting his ass recently that is primarily a new thing, before joining philly Vick got by on the minimum. And how hard he worked is relative; if you compare him working hard to his peers at the high school, college and pro days with Atlanta would you say he worked harder or less hard then the average starting QB at that respective level?

Vick being coddled:

Vick: Goodell, advisors pushed me to Philly - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

Roger Goodell says he's proud of Michael Vick's success story - ESPN

Michael Vick Wins Subway Sportsman of the Year at BET Awards (With Nike Update)

Michael Vick to be honored at Norfolk arts gala | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Debate on Vick and the Ed Block Courage Award continues | ProFootballTalk

And my favorite:

Philadelphia Eagles' Michael Vick gets key to city in Dallas ceremony - ESPN Dallas
__________________
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:46 PM   #94
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,456
Re: Vick is a crybaby

Hopefully, this is my last post re: Vick, because I'm really trying to get my Redskins on.

How does having the Commish speak highly of you or landing major endorsements equate to being coddled? These are perks that Vick earned as a result of his production on the field and his impact on the game at large. These companies have simply placed a dollar amount on his perceived value as a sports icon. They are not arbitrary and didn't happen in a vacuum.

It seems we're confusing whether or not Michael Vick is deserving of said endorsements with getting special treatment and currying favor with people in high places, in spite of his contribution to the game. The two go hand in hand. One is "coddled" because he/she is special and bring a unique something to their world and/or profession. The lazy, non-productive, and indifferent don't get special treatment. Those that rise do. It's true in sports, politics, medicine, academia, etc.

Last edited by 12thMan; 09-26-2011 at 05:48 PM.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:49 PM   #95
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,050
Re: Vick is a crybaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
As mooby pointed out consistency is the problem. Instead of giving Vick more calls, perhaps just call everything the same for every QB would be a better alternative? Set a standard, let everyone know what the standard is, show everyone the full rule not just generalities of it, and call things equally for everyone.

lets be honest here Vick thinks he is a "Brady" .../..".Peyton" caliber QB...nope not even close.Once and only once has he been healthy a whole season....not true of Brady/Peyton...both have Super Bowls...Eaglets nope,he just needs to STFU!!!

1) Both release the ball quicker then he does
2) He runs ...they don't...
3) their O lines block...

.....end of it.
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:35 PM   #96
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: Vick is a crybaby

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...VUzK_blog.html
__________________
A revolution is coming and it will be televised.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:03 PM   #97
The Starter
 
rypper11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Winston Salem, NC
Posts: 1,225
Re: Vick is a crybaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
Once in a while.
How many times does it take to make a trend?

BTW I rewatched the Panthers Jags game this afternoon. Both qb's got hit a lot more than Vick and neither bitched after the game. I guess they just haven't yet learned that if you are an overpriced face of a franchise the officials should bend the rules to make you look good.

If only Ryan Leaf would have known this rule.
__________________
Playing a kids game for a kings ransom.
rypper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:09 PM   #98
Special Teams
 
Shadowbyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 397
Re: Vick is a crybaby

Bullshit Tom Brady is the biggest crybaby in the NFL. Every time he gets hit he looks at the ref and motions his hands for a flag. I can't count how many times I've seen him plead to the refs whenever he's nicked. Anyone complaining about Vick stating the obvious didn't like Vick to start with.
Shadowbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:16 PM   #99
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,636
Re: Vick is a crybaby

Someone didn't read previous posts it seems
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:33 PM   #100
Special Teams
 
Shadowbyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 397
Re: Vick is a crybaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Someone didn't read previous posts it seems
Maybe someone didn't need to if they were responding to the authors initial post.
Shadowbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:41 PM   #101
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,341
Re: Vick is a crybaby

God forbid the NFL turns into the NBA when it comes to officiating and crying for foul calls.
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:16 PM   #102
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: Vick is a crybaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
God forbid the NFL turns into the NBA when it comes to officiating and crying for foul calls.
The league promulgated the necessity for much of the unrest with the changing of the rules on how and where you can actually hit the QB. The author here is expressing one mans opinion, my personal stance on the matter I stated in an earlier post in this thread.
__________________
A revolution is coming and it will be televised.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:54 PM   #103
The Starter
 
SolidSnake84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stephens City, VA
Posts: 1,862
Re: Vick is a crybaby

I am going to go on record and say that while I don't think it is a conspiracy or anything like that, I feel like Michael Vick is indeed a marked man and the officials certainly know and have known for a while that Vick is not being afforded the same type of treatment as other QB's.

He doesn't have to be Manning or Brady caliber, but as others have rightfully pointed out, the second anyone even gets close to those two there is a flag thrown. Vick is not treated the same way. He has taken alot of hits, many of them illegal, probably some of them with the intent to injure him. He was heated after this last loss and he was just speaking his mind, others have done the same thing. He has since apologized so i don't think it is that big of deal, players do this all the time.

What coach Andy Reid should do is continue to send in the video evidence like he did last year. At some point the refs will be forced to do their job.
__________________
Time to nut up or shut up
SolidSnake84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:44 AM   #104
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,050
Re: Vick is a crybaby

[QUOTE=SolidSnake84;841726]
He doesn't have to be Manning or Brady caliber, but as others have rightfully pointed out, the second anyone even gets close to those two there is a flag thrown. Vick is not treated the same way. He has taken alot of hits, many of them illegal, probably some of them with the intent to injure him. He was heated after this last loss and he was just speaking his mind, others have done the same thing. He has since apologized so i don't think it is that big of deal, players do this all the time.

QUOTE]

So you don't believe Vicks style of play has a thing to do with the hits?
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:06 PM   #105
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,050
Re: Vick is a crybaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
but cantys hit was definitely a penalty



TomRock_Newsday Tom Rock
Chris Canty has not received a FedEx envelope from the league for his hit on Vick, so it looks like he won't be fined.
16 minutes ago
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.42712 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25