Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Who Can Lead This Team?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 01:02 PM   #31
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 79,506
Re: Who Can Lead This Team?

Is Beck really the long term answer though?

I'm all for giving him a shot if Rex strings together a few really bad outings or we're simply out of contention, just saying it's premature to be thinking about a change already.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-27-2011, 01:05 PM   #32
The Starter
 
dgack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The ATX (formerly Balmer)
Posts: 1,125
Re: Who Can Lead This Team?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanarchist View Post
Just because you wouldn't "bail on him", doesn't mean we shouldn't. If this is an 8-8 season, which it seems like many people agree on, why not play Beck. We already know what we have in Grossman...a glorified backup.

And I agree there are plenty of other places to point the finger. But 2 redzone picks last week, another fumble, the "heat" is well placed.
Because it's not all about the QB's development. The rest of the offense needs to develop its ability to make big plays. Putting Beck in might help his development but stunt the growth of other parts of our offense as a result.

Ultimately neither Rex nor Beck is the answer, and everyone (except those two) know it. That said, I think Rex's complete lack of conscience and memory probably helps develop the passing game more than we realize each week.

For example, right now, J.Campbell is allegedly a far superior QB according to those awful ESPN QBR stats. But they've won running McFadden into the ground and JC17 throwing short and sparingly. We've been there and done that, and I'm willing to bet when he DOES need to try and win a game with his arm, the team isn't going to be ready.

Think of Rex as simply a practice machine designed to give live game reps to our WRs, blockers and O-Line in the downfield vertical game, with some ball-hawk drills thrown in to spice it up, and you'll have a much calmer fan experience.
__________________
"To bring a Sherm Lewis in to a Jim Zorn and whoever his offensive coordinator is, it's like bringing in another man to help teach you how to make better love to your wife or something." -- Tre Johnson
dgack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:11 PM   #33
Special Teams
 
fanarchist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 106
Re: Who Can Lead This Team?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Is Beck really the long term answer though?

I'm all for giving him a shot if Rex strings together a few really bad outings or we're simply out of contention, just saying it's premature to be thinking about a change already.
How many more bad outings do you need to see from this guy? It's obvious that he hasn't corrected the problems that have plagued him his entire career. If you, like these stubborn coaches, want to ride the Rex train until the wheels fall off, be my guest, but I refuse to jump on board with a guy who is the epitome of perpetual disappointment. I prefer to test the road less traveled.
fanarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #34
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 10,630
Re: Who Can Lead This Team?

if Grossman has a poor game at St Louis....bye week Shannys will make the switch
__________________
@RSherman_25 just make sure you stay in Seattle cause without that pass rush you are who we thought you were. 5th rd PK no speed good hands

ó DeAngelo Hall (@DeAngeloHall23) March 14, 2014
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:32 PM   #35
Special Teams
 
fanarchist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 106
Re: Who Can Lead This Team?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgack View Post
Because it's not all about the QB's development. The rest of the offense needs to develop its ability to make big plays. Putting Beck in might help his development but stunt the growth of other parts of our offense as a result.

Ultimately neither Rex nor Beck is the answer, and everyone (except those two) know it. That said, I think Rex's complete lack of conscience and memory probably helps develop the passing game more than we realize each week.

For example, right now, J.Campbell is allegedly a far superior QB according to those awful ESPN QBR stats. But they've won running McFadden into the ground and JC17 throwing short and sparingly. We've been there and done that, and I'm willing to bet when he DOES need to try and win a game with his arm, the team isn't going to be ready.

Think of Rex as simply a practice machine designed to give live game reps to our WRs, blockers and O-Line in the downfield vertical game, with some ball-hawk drills thrown in to spice it up, and you'll have a much calmer fan experience.
Thanks for your concern for my sense of calm. I actually made a similar statement to a friend last night. In the vein of Rex being an automaton on the field, and my follow up to that statement was, "but humaniods rarely make mistakes". If that were the case, and he were less erratic with the ball, ala Jason Campbell, we would probably be staring at a 3 in the win column.

The fact that you infatically claim to know how Beck will play without the evidentiary material to back it up is pretty shortsighted.

I don't want a machine out there. I wanted someone with enough cognitive ability to be able to adapt and adjust to the situation on the fly. Do I know, unequivocally, that Beck can do that. No. But the point is I know Rex can't.

Last edited by fanarchist; 09-27-2011 at 01:43 PM.
fanarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:52 PM   #36
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 79,506
Re: Who Can Lead This Team?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanarchist View Post
How many more bad outings do you need to see from this guy? It's obvious that he hasn't corrected the problems that have plagued him his entire career. If you, like these stubborn coaches, want to ride the Rex train until the wheels fall off, be my guest, but I refuse to jump on board with a guy who is the epitome of perpetual disappointment. I prefer to test the road less traveled.
More than 1.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:57 PM   #37
Special Teams
 
bertoskins2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canada
Age: 40
Posts: 260
Re: Who Can Lead This Team?

Tim Tebow
bertoskins2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:58 PM   #38
Special Teams
 
fanarchist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 106
Re: Who Can Lead This Team?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
More than 1.
I guess "bad" is subjective.
fanarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:59 PM   #39
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 79,506
Re: Who Can Lead This Team?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanarchist View Post
I guess "bad" is subjective.
Guess so.

Amazing we started 2-0 with such bad performances.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:00 PM   #40
The Starter
 
dgack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The ATX (formerly Balmer)
Posts: 1,125
Re: Who Can Lead This Team?

Quote:
Thanks for your concern for my sense of calm.
Hey, it's your season, you can be angry or zen, or anywhere in between. The only thing you can't do is change the decisions of the coaching staff. /shrug

Quote:
If that were the case, and he were less erratic with the ball, ala Jason Campbell, we would probably be staring at a 3 in the win column.
Don't get me wrong; I was a HUGE JC17 supporter here (check my post history). I am pulling for him in Chokeland. But the knock on him was "he's a mediocre game manager and will never be able get you a win if you need to put the ball in his hands" and that's largely continued to be true in OAK. They aren't winning because of him, he's just there not to eff it up.

Rex is definitely who we thought he was, which is to say, Favre-lite, minus the dong pics. But the coaches obviously felt that they needed that big-play gunslinger mentality more than a dink-and-dunk game manager, which is what Campbell has become.

Quote:
The fact that you infatically claim to know how Beck will play without the evidentiary material to back it up is pretty shortsighted.
I don't claim to know. I leave that up to Mike and Kyle Shanahan.

Quote:
Do I know, unequivocally, that Beck can do that. No. But the point is I know Rex can't.
I'm not saying Beck can't either (though again, I think he's had ample time to prove that he is markedly better than Rex and failed, which is fairly damning in and of itself). I'm just saying I don't really think a QB controversy and rebooting the offense right now in the name of chasing wins, under the very Snyder-esque pretense that we're close to being a contender, is a very productive thing to do.
__________________
"To bring a Sherm Lewis in to a Jim Zorn and whoever his offensive coordinator is, it's like bringing in another man to help teach you how to make better love to your wife or something." -- Tre Johnson
dgack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:15 PM   #41
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,378
Re: Who Can Lead This Team?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Guess so.

Amazing we started 2-0 with such bad performances.
We could have very easily been 1-1 though. I guess I'm wanting to know what people are really expecting from Rex? I'm expecting him to play as an average QB who can make some better decisions than what Jason Campbell did, but I'm not expecting him to turn into Steve Young. And, if the former is what we're getting, then that's OK for now - I'll continue to back Grossman, but I'm not so sure he's the long term answers as well as I'm not sure Beck is. I still think that is a vital piece that we need to get before this team can make a realistic Super Bowl run. I hope I'm wrong on that and I hope Rex Grossman makes me look foolish for saying that.
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #42
Special Teams
 
fanarchist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 106
Re: Who Can Lead This Team?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgack View Post
Hey, it's your season, you can be angry or zen, or anywhere in between. The only thing you can't do is change the decisions of the coaching staff. /shrug
I do recogize the things which are in my power to control. I'm not deluded and the governing of existential emotion doesn't elude me. But this is a forum where I am afforded the opportunity to speak candidly on my personal position.


Quote:
Originally Posted by dgack View Post
Rex is definitely who we thought he was, which is to say, Favre-lite, minus the dong pics. But the coaches obviously felt that they needed that big-play gunslinger mentality more than a dink-and-dunk game manager, which is what Campbell has become.
I don't think I could disagree more vehemently with this statement as long as we're not purely speaking stats. The stats, in the int department, are somewhat similiar. But the similarities between Farve and Grossman stop there. I abhor this mentality of applying the "gun slinger" euphemism to any player who is careless with the rock. Rex doesn't throw darts he throws balloons, and he'll dress like a clown and perform a spasmodic magic routine at your childs birthday party for $7 an hour. And where are these mythological big-plays you speak of. All I've seen are underthrown long balls and floating out routes in that catagory. There have been a number of missed opportunities in that realm though.



Quote:
Originally Posted by dgack View Post
I don't claim to know. I leave that up to Mike and Kyle Shanahan.
I simply don't trust them enough to make the right player personel decisions based on what I've seen so far. Kyle seems like an arrogant coat tail climber who wants things his way, and he'll throw a temper tantrum to Daddy if he doesn't get them. It was clear from the genesis of his tenure here that he wanted Rex to be his QB. Because Rex is pandering, calling his offense brilliant, and him a genius, it fed his ego, and it also helped that Rex was malleable and did exactly what he was told without criticism.



Quote:
Originally Posted by dgack View Post
I'm not saying Beck can't either (though again, I think he's had ample time to prove that he is markedly better than Rex and failed, which is fairly damning in and of itself). I'm just saying I don't really think a QB controversy and rebooting the offense right now in the name of chasing wins, under the very Snyder-esque pretense that we're close to being a contender, is a very productive thing to do.
I don't know what you consider ample time. Is it being picked up from the Ravens just before the first preseason game in 2010. Or is it vying for a job as a starter in a lockout addled offseason. Or maybe missing the first preseason game this year due to injury.

I don't believe that there is a reboot to Kyle's offense. It is what it is. And there is no controversy if you make a definitive decision to change QBs without fluctuation. I don't believe we're close to being a contender which is the fundamental reason I would make a change to the guy who doesn't have real game film, or experience vs playing the guy who will forever remain a carbon copy of his former self.

Last edited by fanarchist; 09-27-2011 at 03:49 PM.
fanarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:08 PM   #43
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,502
Re: Who Can Lead This Team?

Grossman has made several big plays, not just this year but also at the end of last year. The fumble at the end of the game was terrible. But let's not pretend like he hasn't made any plays for us
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:34 PM   #44
Special Teams
 
fanarchist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 106
Re: Who Can Lead This Team?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Grossman has made several big plays, not just this year but also at the end of last year. The fumble at the end of the game was terrible. But let's not pretend like he hasn't made any plays for us
You're right. He's made enough plays to garner himself a .500 record with this team. He's average, and gives away as many games as he wins. He is a good backup. I just want to see if there is untapped talent lingering in the wings.

I love this team, as does everyone here, but I can't stand idly by, being a blindly faithful zealot if I don't believe in the content.

Last edited by fanarchist; 09-27-2011 at 04:38 PM.
fanarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:53 PM   #45
Pro Bowl
 
SirClintonPortis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,052
Re: Who Can Lead This Team?

You sound like a Pukes fan, OP. Romo was simply pissed at FUNDAMENTAL MISTAKES ANY ****ING QB WOULD EXPLODE AT. Now, him blowing up at his incompetent receivers and center's mistakes is "how" Grossman should act.

"HOW" a message is delivered is not as important as "WHAT" is being sent.

And that jab at Beck is calumny at its finest. Oh, a Mormon white boy just HAS to be effeminate and a choir boy, huh?
__________________
Analysis using datasets (aka stats) is an attempt at reverse-engineering a player's "goodness".

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.51231 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25