Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack (2) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2011, 11:13 AM   #31
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,147
Re: Hall of Fame Class of 2012

I didn't say Sharpe should be in before anyone else, I know there's a log jam at WR, I'm just saying he shouldn't be eliminated from consideration based solely on the fact he "only" played 7 years.

He averaged 85 catches, 1162 yards, and over 9 TDs per season. I'd guess those numbers stack up very favorably against anyone else's in the Hall.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-01-2011, 11:28 AM   #32
Special Teams
 
Leader In Sports's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 385
Re: Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I didn't say Sharpe should be in before anyone else, I know there's a log jam at WR, I'm just saying he shouldn't be eliminated from consideration based solely on the fact he "only" played 7 years.

He averaged 85 catches, 1162 yards, and over 9 TDs per season. I'd guess those numbers stack up very favorably against anyone else's in the Hall.
Yes, he had a great short career. I think time is not on his side. As you say, there is a log jam that is only growing. He just doesn't make the cut at his position. Now, if you make him a running back with those numbers - I would be arguing the other way.

Edit:

I just saw this video on the HOF website and thought it fit with our comparison of short careers:

Multimedia

Last edited by Leader In Sports; 10-01-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Leader In Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:00 PM   #33
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,027
Re: Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Sharpe played 7 years, shouldn't that be enough?
7 sounds fine to me but I guess you would have to look at the body of work and the quality of the teams he(the player) played against and with.
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:07 PM   #34
Special Teams
 
Leader In Sports's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 385
Re: Hall of Fame Class of 2012

No Redskins on the list:

Enshrinement » Class of 2012 semifinalists

Class of 2012 semifinalists

11/22/2011


Two first-year eligible candidates, coach Bill Parcells and guard Will Shields, are among the 26 semifinalists being considered for the Pro Football Hall of Fame’s Class of 2012. Although technically a first-year eligible candidate, Parcells has been a finalist twice before (2001, 2002) following his announced retirement as head coach of the New York Jets in 1999. At the time the Hall of Fame By-laws did not require a coach to be retired the now mandatory five seasons. Parcells returned to coach the Dallas Cowboys in 2003 and the five-year waiting period was in effect when he retired from coaching in 2006.

The semifinalist list is usually limited to 25, this year there are 26 resulting from a tie for the final position. The Pro Football Hall of Fame By-laws for the Selection Committee provides that the list shall consist of “twenty five nominees plus all ties.”

The Hall of Fame’s Selection Committee chose the 26 semifinalists from the previously announced list of 105 preliminary nominees. In addition to the two first-year eligible nominees, four other previously eligible candidates, Steve Atwater, Clay Matthews, Karl Mecklenburg and longtime contributor Ron Wolf have made it to the semifinalist’s list for the first time. Each of the remaining 20 nominees on the Selection Committee’s list has been a semifinalist at least once prior to this year.

The complete list of 26 modern-era semifinalists is as follows:

Steve Atwater, S – 1989-1998 Denver Broncos, 1999 New York Jets
Jerome Bettis, RB – 1993-95 Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams, 1996-2005 Pittsburgh Steelers
Tim Brown, WR/KR – 1988-2003 Los Angeles/Oakland Raiders, 2004 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Cris Carter, WR – 1987-89 Philadelphia Eagles, 1990-2001 Minnesota Vikings, 2002 Miami Dolphins
Don Coryell, Coach – 1973-77 St. Louis Cardinals, 1978-1986 San Diego Chargers
Roger Craig, RB – 1983-1990 San Francisco 49ers, 1991 Los Angeles Raiders, 1992-93 Minnesota Vikings
Terrell Davis, RB – 1995-2001 Denver Broncos
Dermontti Dawson, C – 1988-2000 Pittsburgh Steelers
Edward DeBartolo, Jr., Owner – 1979-2000 San Francisco 49ers
Chris Doleman, DE/LB – 1985-1993, 1999 Minnesota Vikings, 1994-95 Atlanta Falcons, 1996-98 San Francisco 49ers
Kevin Greene, LB/DE – 1985-1992 Los Angeles Rams, 1993-95 Pittsburgh Steelers, 1996, 1998-99 Carolina Panthers, 1997 San Francisco 49ers
Charles Haley, DE/LB – 1986-1991, 1999 San Francisco 49ers, 1992-96 Dallas Cowboys
Cortez Kennedy, DT – 1990-2000 Seattle Seahawks
Curtis Martin, RB – 1995-97 New England Patriots, 1998-2005 New York Jets
Clay Matthews, LB – 1978-1993 Cleveland Browns, 1994-96 Atlanta Falcons
Karl Mecklenburg, LB – 1983-1994 Denver Broncos
Bill Parcells, Coach – 1983-1990 New York Giants, 1993-96 New England Patriots, 1997-99 New York Jets, 2003-06 Dallas Cowboys
Andre Reed, WR – 1985-1999 Buffalo Bills, 2000 Washington Redskins
Willie Roaf, T – 1993-2001 New Orleans Saints, 2002-05 Kansas City Chiefs
Donnie Shell, S – 1974-1987 Pittsburgh Steelers
Will Shields, G – 1993-2006 Kansas City Chiefs
Paul Tagliabue, Commissioner – 1989-2006 National Football League
Steve Tasker, ST/WR – 1985-86 Houston Oilers, 1986-1997 Buffalo Bills
Aeneas Williams, CB/S – 1991-2000 Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals, 2001-04 St. Louis Rams
Ron Wolf, Contributor – 1963-1974, 1978-1990 Oakland/Los Angeles Raiders, 1975-77 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 1990 New York Jets, 1991 -2001 Green Bay Packers
George Young, Contributor – 1968-1974 Baltimore Colts, 1975-78 Miami Dolphins, 1979-1997 New York Giants, 1998-2001 National Football League
Leader In Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:32 PM   #35
Pro Bowl
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 7,361
Re: Hall of Fame Class of 2012

I'm scratching my head on why was Bobby Beathard left of these list. Beathard was as successful as George Young or even more than him and Ron Wolf. Total BS!!
__________________
Joe Gibbs- The best coach of all time, Lombardi trophy should be renamed Gibbs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.


Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:51 AM   #36
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,027
Re: Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
I'm scratching my head on why was Bobby Beathard left of these list. Beathard was as successful as George Young or even more than him and Ron Wolf. Total BS!!

.......not really.
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:24 AM   #37
Pro Bowl
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 7,361
Re: Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
.......not really.
7 SB with 4 teams, 4 SB rings. KC, Miami and 2 with Redskins. I bet you didn't know that.
__________________
Joe Gibbs- The best coach of all time, Lombardi trophy should be renamed Gibbs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.


Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:59 AM   #38
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,027
Re: Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
7 SB with 4 teams, 4 SB rings. KC, Miami and 2 with Redskins. I bet you didn't know that.
What was he did(responsabilities) in KC and Miami ?
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:19 AM   #39
Pro Bowl
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 7,361
Re: Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
What was he did(responsabilities) in KC and Miami ?
He earned his first AFL championship ring as a member of the 1966 Chiefs organization.

Beathard served as a scout for the Atlanta Falcons from 1968 through 1971. In 1972, Beathard was named director of player personnel for the Miami Dolphins. The Dolphins won the following two Super Bowls.

In 1978, the Washington Redskins named Beathard general manager. During his tenure in Washington, Beathard and head coach Joe Gibbs led the Redskins to three Super Bowls and two championships. In addition, the 1991 championship team for the Redskins was primarily composed of players that Beathard had brought to the Redskins. Prominent Beathard draft picks for the Redskins include Art Monk, Joe Jacoby, Mark May, Russ Grimm, Dexter Manley, Charlie Brown, Darrell Green, Charles Mann, and Gary Clark.

Beathard retired as general manager of the San Diego Chargers in 2000 after 10 seasons with the club. In just his third season in San Diego, the organization won its first AFC Western Division championship in more than a decade and, after five years, appeared in its first Super Bowl.
__________________
Joe Gibbs- The best coach of all time, Lombardi trophy should be renamed Gibbs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.


Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:29 AM   #40
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,627
I wonder if being associated with Shula and Gibbs hurts Beathard.

I mean when people say "Can you believe Gibbs won a Super Bowl with Williams at QB and Timmy Smith at RB?!" they're basically saying he won despite the talent. Which is not a good indictment of Beathard as GM.

I'm not saying I agree with this assessment, just wondering if some may think that
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:32 AM   #41
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,027
Re: Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Not saying he was'nt good, you're saying he's better ...and I say not really.Don Shula brought more of those players in then Beathard in Miami but at no time am I trying to shoot down his achivements.
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.

Last edited by Giantone; 11-25-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:35 AM   #42
Pro Bowl
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 7,361
Re: Hall of Fame Class of 2012

His grandson, C.J. Beathard, is committed to the University of Mississippi as a quarterback in the class of 2012.
__________________
Joe Gibbs- The best coach of all time, Lombardi trophy should be renamed Gibbs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.


Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:36 AM   #43
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,027
Re: Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I wonder if being associated with Shula and Gibbs hurts Beathard.

I mean when people say "Can you believe Gibbs won a Super Bowl with Williams at QB and Timmy Smith at RB?!" they're basically saying he won despite the talent. Which is not a good indictment of Beathard as GM.

I'm not saying I agree with this assessment, just wondering if some may think that
Point ,Tim Smith did what after the super bowl???
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:40 AM   #44
Pro Bowl
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 7,361
Re: Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Not saying he was'nt good, you're saying he's better ...and I say not really.Don Shula brought more of those players in then Beathard in Miami but at no time am I trying shoot down his achivements.
First off, I didn't say he was better than Young, but I did say he was better Wolf. Isn't the the job of the director of player personnel to get the talent for the team? He did that for the Dolphins, why do you think the Redskins hired him? Because of what he did in Miami. George Young was a great scout, Coach, GM. Beathard also turned around the perennial loser Chargers and took them to the SB after his 3rd year there. I say Beathard was just as responsible for the 2 SB by the Dolphins as Shula.
__________________
Joe Gibbs- The best coach of all time, Lombardi trophy should be renamed Gibbs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.


Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:52 PM   #45
The Starter
 
REDSKINS4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Born and raised in D.C.....but I'm a New Yorker now....
Posts: 2,111
Re: Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Chris Doleman deserves to go. He terrorized quarterbacks from the defensive end position for the Vikings like no other. Donnie Shell should have been in the HOF a long time ago, and he deserves enshrinement.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.30549 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25