Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Start John Beck Madness Thread

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 05:16 AM   #136
Camp Scrub
 
zeesson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 42
Re: Start John Beck Madness Thread

Do yall remember when the Bears were having this same debate. All Lovie Smith would EVER say is "we are X and 2 with Rex as our starter" He completely ignored the fact that they didn't win games "because" of Rex, they won games "in spite" of Rex. He will do this to us all year long. You can't be a "game manager" if you randomly turn the ball over for no reason at all, and don't learn from your mistakes from week to week. I was on the Beck side of things from the beginning so I'm a little biased, but I have to say when Rex ran for that first down today, all I could think about was how he was holding the ball in one hand like he was pulling a shopping cart. The same exact thing that cost us a fumble last week. How can he not cover the damn ball?!? How can he still be making the same mistakes from a week ago?
zeesson is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-03-2011, 06:13 AM   #137
Special Teams
 
polywog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Somewhere in Maryland....
Posts: 196
Re: Start John Beck Madness Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeesson View Post
Do yall remember when the Bears were having this same debate. All Lovie Smith would EVER say is "we are X and 2 with Rex as our starter" He completely ignored the fact that they didn't win games "because" of Rex, they won games "in spite" of Rex. He will do this to us all year long. You can't be a "game manager" if you randomly turn the ball over for no reason at all, and don't learn from your mistakes from week to week. I was on the Beck side of things from the beginning so I'm a little biased, but I have to say when Rex ran for that first down today, all I could think about was how he was holding the ball in one hand like he was pulling a shopping cart. The same exact thing that cost us a fumble last week. How can he not cover the damn ball?!? How can he still be making the same mistakes from a week ago?
I really like this post, noob.

I'm hoping that, once again, Mike see's something that I can't.

Right now though, Rex looks like he is going downhill, i.e. returning to his old ways.
polywog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:21 AM   #138
The Starter
 
GoSkins!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Yorktown, Va
Age: 45
Posts: 1,587
Re: Start John Beck Madness Thread

I wonder if the Cowboys fans are having this same discussion after their QB actually cost them their game?
__________________
Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts. A. Einstien
GoSkins! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:05 AM   #139
The Starter
 
#56fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Charlotte NC
Age: 40
Posts: 1,789
Re: Start John Beck Madness Thread

switching the QB isn't something we should do at all. Yes we are 3-1 for starters, two of those wins directly related to Rex's play. Putting the dagger in the Giants when we normally would have gone 3 and out and gave up a game tying score. the 4th down beautiful throw to Moss, which a QB has to have the stones to even attempt that throw trailing late in the 4th quarter. Rex had a bad outing, every QB has a bad outing. The 4th quarter against the Cowboys was a little rough, but our offense as a whole had zero rhythm. Everyone points to the picks, but of the last 4 or 5, yesterdays to the LB was the only one I can remember that was just something he shouldn't have thrown. I can count 2 or 3 that went off the receivers hands, Moss fell down on one, and Armstrong had his arm held down when the one went off his hand. So lets not jump all over Rex. I think as a whole he has done quite well. Lets not forget the Giants, Cowboys have had pretty good defenses as well as Arizona's heavy pressure D.

There are really good things that came out of yesterdays game, great pass protection, and the re-emergence of Ryan Torain. It just looked like a totally different running game with him in the there.
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:23 AM   #140
Camp Scrub
 
zeesson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 42
Re: Start John Beck Madness Thread

I see your point 56. But I can't help the fact that Grossman makes me nervous.
zeesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:44 AM   #141
The Starter
 
#56fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Charlotte NC
Age: 40
Posts: 1,789
Re: Start John Beck Madness Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSkins! View Post
I wonder if the Cowboys fans are having this same discussion after their QB actually cost them their game?

Yeah, last week it was Romo is god, Romo the warrior, Romo the savior blah blah blah...I actually thought I was going to throw up with all the talk before the SKins game monday night... Lets see that is 2 games that he has single handily lost for the Cowboys.. Wonder if the Savior, God, Warrior crap is still being discussed this morning. Or do they have the "lets start Kitna thread!"
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:59 AM   #142
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 27
Posts: 8,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
For once I agree with Alvin Walton.

I don't understand why people are suprised at Grossman's style of play so far. In the words of Jamie Dukes, he is what he is. You're gonna get some good, you're gonna get some bad. Right now Grossman has gotten us to 3-1. As long as we win games I don't see why he needs to be benched.
This. Start Beck if we lose 3 to 4 games in a row. If not, ride it out.

Although Grossman has had his issues he has been starting for 4 weeks. Beck would be relatively fresh. I feel we would be taking a step backwards in the middle of the season to get him up to speed, bye week or not.
__________________
Vacancy
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:03 AM   #143
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 27
Posts: 8,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeesson View Post
I see your point 56. But I can't help the fact that Grossman makes me nervous.
As I was telling another poster, QB decisions (or K) aren't made because of your comfort level.
__________________
Vacancy
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:33 AM   #144
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,365
Re: Start John Beck Madness Thread

Rex is pretty short and I don't think he sees around the rushers, or even his own linemen very well. He'll make throws where you go, how the flying F did you not see the LB sitting right there square in the throwing lane??

There has been more than one occasion when Beck's mobility would have come in handy, too. Rex is what he is, decent passer when protected, and turnover prone when pressured. We'll start losing games because of him if we're not careful.

Not that Beck's really the answer, neither of them are the answer. So whatever, make the switch, don't make the switch, either way. If we're going to win, it won't be because of our QB.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:38 AM   #145
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,811
Re: Start John Beck Madness Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Rex is pretty short and I don't think he sees around the rushers, or even his own linemen very well. He'll make throws where you go, how the flying F did you not see the LB sitting right there square in the throwing lane??

There has been more than one occasion when Beck's mobility would have come in handy, too. Rex is what he is, decent passer when protected, and turnover prone when pressured. We'll start losing games because of him if we're not careful.

Not that Beck's really the answer, neither of them are the answer. So whatever, make the switch, don't make the switch, either way. If we're going to win, it won't be because of our QB.


I disagree. Beck has the ability to makes plays that can win you a game. Not saying he's the answer either but we know Grossman isn't.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:45 AM   #146
Pro Bowl
 
SirClintonPortis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,052
Re: Start John Beck Madness Thread

I think we give Grossman a few more games to see if this is just a bad string of games or if this is really the best he can do.

He earned the starting job. Let him "earn" his removal from that job, IF that ever happens. He's definitely capable of losing the job, but let's give him some more games. Maybe four or six more games.
__________________
Analysis using datasets (aka stats) is an attempt at reverse-engineering a player's "goodness".

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:58 AM   #147
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,732
Re: Start John Beck Madness Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
[/B]

I disagree. Beck has the ability to makes plays that can win you a game. Not saying he's the answer either but we know Grossman isn't.
How exactly do you know this since the minute amount of regular season starts Beck has shows the opposite. If Beck made plays that win games he wouldnt be a career back-up.

IMO, a lot of Rex's problems stem from him being too short. After watching him so far this season it just seems to me that he struggles to see over the line and that lack of vision creates his INT problems.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:07 AM   #148
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16,405
Re: Start John Beck Madness Thread

Beck had his opportunity to show what he has in two games in the preseason. He looked pretty average in one game and looked somewhat average against the Bucs 2nd stringers in the last game of the preseason. This probably wasn't fair to him given his injury, but sh*t happens. If Beck was a rookie QB or younger, I'd be all for starting him sometime this season if Rex causes us to lose more games. But he isn't, he's just another journeyman QB that won't be the future of any team (neither will be Rex by the way).
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried - Agianst

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:09 AM   #149
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,508
Re: Start John Beck Madness Thread

Neither Rex or Beck are the long term answers here anyway. Might as well ride Rex as long as we're winning. Makes no sense to make a change right now.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:25 AM   #150
The Starter
 
#56fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Charlotte NC
Age: 40
Posts: 1,789
Re: Start John Beck Madness Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Neither Rex or Beck are the long term answers here anyway. Might as well ride Rex as long as we're winning. Makes no sense to make a change right now.

Absolutely.. Stay with Rex. I hate when this QB controversy stuff comes up. Rex knows this offense a whole of a lot better than Beck. Like I have said before, dude has done pretty decent this season. The last quarter in Dallas, and this game weren't so hot. But if Moss catches the one 3rd down ball that is a big gain, he cuts inside and may have taken it to the house there wasn't anyone behind the corner. Hightower doesn't drop the drive killer, who knows what happens. Instead you get a pick and a punt. THe two home games are a direct result of Rex (in my opinion) He made a nice drive to put the final TD up against the Giants, and that HUGE throw on 4th down against Arizona. SO people need to give it a rest.
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.29266 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25