Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Rams)

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2011, 06:12 PM   #31
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,731
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Rams)

Rex really has a problem when it comes to reading the underneath coverage. He gets fooled too often on basic stuff.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #32
The Starter
 
Chief X_Phackter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lakewood, CO
Posts: 1,069
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Rams)

Cardinals beating Giants now 20-10...this could turn out to be a great week for the Skins.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #33
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,628
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Rams)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I think it should be obvious, but we all know Shanny loves to play games with the media. Hard to see us not going with Torain considering his great day today combined with the fact he had an excellent game in our first game against Philly last year.
Just for the sake of reminding people why Torain should start against Philly

May I direct your eyes to the first play.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:20 PM   #34
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,628
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Rams)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Cardinals beating Giants now 20-10...this could turn out to be a great week for the Skins.
At the very least if they're going to loose I don't want them to start until hockey season. Dealing with a loss for an entire week sucks when you have nothing to watch in between.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:22 PM   #35
MVP
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Age: 26
Posts: 11,883
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Rams)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Just for the sake of reminding people why Torain should start against Philly
May I direct your eyes to the first play.
Hard to forget that first play. That touchdown run where he put the bang on Quentin Mikell is one of his defining moments as a Redskin.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:25 PM   #36
The Starter
 
skinsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,224
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Rams)

I dont like how KS continues to shy away from running on 3rd and short.
We had a huge lead with time our only enemy.
Down in FG range...he dialed up a pass, when we had a guaranted 20-0 lead...of course, it was a pick, easy to predict.
Then at our own 20 or so, with a 3rd and one up by 10 with like 8 minutes left, he call a pass again...with Torrain tearing it up...I just don't get it...I really don't...of course it was incomplete, stopping the clock, etc.

This crap may work with some teams, but sooner or later, we won't be so lucky with our defense. We need to learn to run, run, run with a lead, and there was no evidence it would fail, we were starting to dominate. I don't buy all the balanced crap at the end of the game, the first 5 plays of the game were all passes, it became hard to establish the run until we had the lead then we threw Torrain in.

Yes, we have red zone issues, I believe the solution may be Torrain 3 times straight.
I frankly don't care if we don't get a TD...but at least we will get 3 instead of equal shot of a TD pass and a pick. We need to establish a power running game and our only shot is Torrain. Why we didn't pull a Gibbs at that point and punch them in the mouth when they were taking body blows is beyond me.

Like I said, this may work with poor teams...but we need to run out the clock with power rushing if we want to win in the NFC East...some things never change.

on the other hand....we WON and I did not expect to be 3-1 at all
Go SKINS!
__________________
I hate Dallas...Period
skinsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:25 PM   #37
The Starter
 
rbanerjee23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,392
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Rams)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Just for the sake of reminding people why Torain should start against Philly
May I direct your eyes to the first play.
Ooof, that hit was painful -- hope he plows over some of the new Eagles in two weeks
__________________
"Tough times don't last but tough people do"

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:26 PM   #38
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,628
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Rams)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanerjee23 View Post
Ooof, that hit was painful -- hope he plows over some of the new Eagles in two weeks
It was actually very similar to his TD run today.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:33 PM   #39
MVP
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Age: 26
Posts: 11,883
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Rams)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsnut View Post
I dont like how KS continues to shy away from running on 3rd and short.
We had a huge lead with time our only enemy.
Down in FG range...he dialed up a pass, when we had a guaranted 20-0 lead...of course, it was a pick, easy to predict.
Then at our own 20 or so, with a 3rd and one up by 10 with like 8 minutes left, he call a pass again...with Torrain tearing it up...I just don't get it...I really don't...of course it was incomplete, stopping the clock, etc.

This crap may work with some teams, but sooner or later, we won't be so lucky with our defense. We need to learn to run, run, run with a lead, and there was no evidence it would fail, we were starting to dominate. I don't buy all the balanced crap at the end of the game, the first 5 plays of the game were all passes, it became hard to establish the run until we had the lead then we threw Torrain in.

Yes, we have red zone issues, I believe the solution may be Torrain 3 times straight.
I frankly don't care if we don't get a TD...but at least we will get 3 instead of equal shot of a TD pass and a pick. We need to establish a power running game and our only shot is Torrain. Why we didn't pull a Gibbs at that point and punch them in the mouth when they were taking body blows is beyond me.

Like I said, this may work with poor teams...but we need to run out the clock with power rushing if we want to win in the NFC East...some things never change.

on the other hand....we WON and I did not expect to be 3-1 at all
Go SKINS!
Was it easy to predict the ball would bounce off Santana Moss' chest and into the Rams' db? Or was it easy to predict that it was 3rd and long and we were on the outskirts of field goal range so they knew they had to pass to keep the drive alive?

As said on ESPN, come on man.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:34 PM   #40
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,731
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Rams)

Moss & Hightower both dropped catchable balls that killed drives.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:35 PM   #41
The Starter
 
skinsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,224
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Rams)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanerjee23 View Post
Ooof, that hit was painful -- hope he plows over some of the new Eagles in two weeks
It seemed to me that 75% of Torrain's runs were in 2nd and long.
I'd love to see some 3rd and 2's.
Once we are able to do that, we may become a playoff team that scores Redzone running TDs.
__________________
I hate Dallas...Period
skinsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:39 PM   #42
The Starter
 
skinsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,224
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Rams)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Was it easy to predict the ball would bounce off Santana Moss' chest and into the Rams' db? Or was it easy to predict that it was 3rd and long and we were on the outskirts of field goal range so they knew they had to pass to keep the drive alive?

As said on ESPN, come on man.
I remembered 3rd and 3 or so...what was predictable was a short pass, not the pick...my point is why would you not run the ball to seal the game at 20-0?
Folks complained about over aggressive play calling last week with the D last week when we lost the game in a critical 3rd and long, this was an equally critical 3rd and short and we didn't need to gamble with a 17 point lead.
__________________
I hate Dallas...Period
skinsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #43
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,731
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Rams)

Throwing on short yardage isn't much of a "gamble" to me, and these coaches have shown they are going to be aggressive. Gotta keep the pedal down in this league.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:44 PM   #44
The Starter
 
skinsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,224
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Rams)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Moss & Hightower both dropped catchable balls that killed drives.
Agreed, but as you pointed out, Grossman struggles with underneath stuff. The picks and near picks Grossman seems to throw are between the tackles under 10 yards. I just worry about those 3rd and 5 situations...that is the defenses best shot and getting a pick with a safety or LB against Grossman...They know it...so should our OC....why not run or direct him to do a pump and go or throw deep?
Just some ideas to help cover Grossman's weakness
__________________
I hate Dallas...Period
skinsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:47 PM   #45
The Starter
 
skinsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,224
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Rams)

I think Grossman's struggles underneath are directly correlated to the Skins Red Zone troubles, which is why we really need to establish short yardage running as an alternative....or a fade or something. Why is it Grossman only throws picks in the redzone of either side?...it must be the defense in aggressive situations
__________________
I hate Dallas...Period
skinsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.28339 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25