Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Panthers)

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2011, 08:58 PM   #46
MVP
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Age: 26
Posts: 12,065
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Panthers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
How many Belichick have without Tom Brady? How many did Bill Walsh have without Montana and Young? How many did Tony Dungy have without Peyton Manning?
Seriously. I hate the "what has he done without Elway" argument. What if our next qb turned out to be as good as Elway? Would fans start up a "yeah, well what has he done when he didn't have (insert HOF caliber passer here)?" argument even if we were winning lots of games as a result of the excellent coach/passer combo?
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-23-2011, 09:03 PM   #47
Playmaker
 
celts32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hackettstown NJ
Age: 43
Posts: 2,656
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Panthers)

Could not agree more on the Haslett conservative scared game plan. It went against everything that they have been trying to build on defense this year. They sat back on thier heels all day as if they were playing against Tom Brady.

As for the other side of the ball...Kyle and his shotgun 3rd & 2 calls are driving me up a fkn wall. We are averaging 7 yards a carry and on 3rd and 2 in panther end of the field we go shotgun. run there or at least throw off playaction...shotgun only helps carolina defend the play. He made the same call other times in the game to.
__________________
Section 115 Row 23

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

http://victorybeer.com/
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:05 PM   #48
Impact Rookie
 
calia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Woodside, CA
Age: 46
Posts: 737
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Panthers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Whole team today was poor IMO except beck TH and Davis
I disagree about Davis. I realize he had a few good catches and a bunch of yards, but he dropped what would have been a key third down conversion that would have extended a drive when it was still a close game. We ended up giving Carolina the ball back, and they stuck it to us. It was a pass that bounced off of his hands and totally killed our momentum. No excuses. A good game isn't good enough -- you want to be elite, dude? Catch the passes that hit you in the hands EVERY TIME.

Furious about the whole effort. By the way, I disagree about Wilson. I thought he had very good positioning on Steve Smith most of the game, but between Cam's really well placed passes and Smith's crazy talent, it's just hard to stop, The bigger problem, in my view, is that Cam had all freaking day. All day. We had 4 sacks in the first half and then the pressure just stopped, and he picked us apart.

So frustrated.

Last edited by calia; 10-23-2011 at 09:06 PM.
calia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:10 PM   #49
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,714
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Panthers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
How many Belichick have without Tom Brady? How many did Bill Walsh have without Montana and Young? How many did Tony Dungy have without Peyton Manning?
All fair points Smoot. But Dungy had some very good TB teams and he had them within a few points of a SB. He's the man behind the Tampa 2 defense that's used around the league by so many teams. Bill Walsh was a GREAT head coach who put a stamp on the league in so many ways. BB failed in Cleveland but he was the coordinator of some of the best defenses the league has ever seen.

After seeing MS since he's been here, I just don't put him on the level of the great head coaches that I've seen.....Gibbs 1, Walsh and there probably a few I'm leaving out.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:10 PM   #50
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Panthers)

I thought Kyle called a decent game today. The run wasn't always there, but he gave it an honest chance. And the pass was there in the second half and he stayed with it, giving us a chance to get back in it.

Now, Kyle still makes me cringe multiple times per game and I don't think he's very good at his job. But I thought he gave us an honest chance to win the game today. Using Logan Paulsen was a good call. And Kyle didn't make Gaffney suck, he in fact went back to him after he handed Carolina three points.

I don't think he knows how to use his runningbacks to consistently run the ball, because he doesn't typically commit to it. Our best back, Helu, has two carries in two weeks. We'll never, ever, ever be a good running team under Kyle Shanahan. Houston wasn't and we won't be. He gave it an honest chance to work today. But you can't just decide in the second quarter to commit to a ground game. You need to decide that in July and August.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:12 PM   #51
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,893
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Panthers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by calia View Post
I disagree about Davis. I realize he had a few good catches and a bunch of yards, but he dropped what would have been a key third down conversion that would have extended a drive when it was still a close game. We ended up giving Carolina the ball back, and they stuck it to us. It was a pass that bounced off of his hands and totally killed our momentum. No excuses. A good game isn't good enough -- you want to be elite, dude? Catch the passes that hit you in the hands EVERY TIME.

Furious about the whole effort. By the way, I disagree about Wilson. I thought he had very good positioning on Steve Smith most of the game, but between Cam's really well placed passes and Smith's crazy talent, it's just hard to stop, The bigger problem, in my view, is that Cam had all freaking day. All day. We had 4 sacks in the first half and then the pressure just stopped, and he picked us apart.

So frustrated.
That's a good point on Wilson.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:15 PM   #52
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Panthers)

I do think Kyle runs the ball to keep the defense honest. And that style of offense works in the NFL. Except when John Beck and Rex Grossman are your quarterbacks, and Santana Moss and Jabar Gaffney are your receivers. Then you just look dumb out there every week.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:19 PM   #53
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,341
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Panthers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
I do think Kyle runs the ball to keep the defense honest. And that style of offense works in the NFL. Except when John Beck and Rex Grossman are your quarterbacks, and Santana Moss and Jabar Gaffney are your receivers. Then you just look dumb out there every week.
Great post, Agree 100%
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:26 PM   #54
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,388
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Panthers)

Soooo I guess the collective patience has worn thin for the rebuilding process that was the chant of favor last season?
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
“God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.” – Joe Gibbs
Hog1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:30 PM   #55
MVP
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Age: 26
Posts: 12,065
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Panthers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
Soooo I guess the collective patience has worn thin for the rebuilding process that was the chant of favor last season?
Not for me it hasn't. I'll handle the highs and lows of this season if it means we progress by next year. There's a lot of questions and problems on the roster that need to be fixed though.

For example the fact that the head coach and the offensive coordinator want to play two different styles of offense, and the offense that would work for us right now is the head coach's, while the offense that might work in future seasons with the right talent is the offensive coordinator's. Oh yeah and the head coach and offensive coordinator are father and son, which makes it more complicated.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:32 PM   #56
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,117
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Panthers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
You Yeah I'm looking at you. Your posts in the gameday thread are getting tired. Just shut up already....no don't worry, I'm not talking about you. I'm talking about you (I think we all know who you are)

You mean the village idiots calling for Snyder to come in after the season and clean house?
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:34 PM   #57
MVP
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Age: 26
Posts: 12,065
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Panthers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
You mean the village idiots calling for Snyder to come in after the season and clean house?
To be fair, that was only one village idiot (that I am aware of).
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:34 PM   #58
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,388
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Panthers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Not for me it hasn't. I'll handle the highs and lows of this season if it means we progress by next year. There's a lot of questions and problems on the roster that need to be fixed though.

For example the fact that the head coach and the offensive coordinator want to play two different styles of offense, and the offense that would work for us right now is the head coach's, while the offense that might work in future seasons with the right talent is the offensive coordinator's. Oh yeah and the head coach and offensive coordinator are father and son, which makes it more complicated.
I'm sure it complicates things....HTTR
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
“God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.” – Joe Gibbs
Hog1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:34 PM   #59
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,117
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Panthers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
How many Belichick have without Tom Brady? How many did Bill Walsh have without Montana and Young? How many did Tony Dungy have without Peyton Manning?
Preach.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:39 PM   #60
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,883
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Panthers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
Soooo I guess the collective patience has worn thin for the rebuilding process that was the chant of favor last season?
Not for me. I have lost patience with the way that Kyle runs the offense. But our overall effort to create a good team is on the right track, it just hasn't had full time to develop.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.39573 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25