Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Smoot lays the smack down (Skins/Bills) - mattyk edition

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2011, 03:27 PM   #166
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16,755
Re: Smoot lays the smack down (Skins/Bills) - mattyk edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
LaRon Landry: People love his big highlight reel head shots. Trouble is, that is all he has in his game bag. He has NEVER been able to cover a turtle with a mattress blanket; he spends waaay too much time chasing someone who has the ball into the end zone. (Remember DeSean Jackson on Play One of the 59-28 debacle last year...?) He has never been held accountable for giving up big plays as a safety so all he does is continue to do the only thing he knows how to do - - make the highlight reel with a headshot. That is your "safety"; he is the guy who gives up TDs when he makes a mistake; he makes lots of mistakes. But it is the fanbase who has adored him for his big hits who feels the pain because they expect him to actually be an effective safety and he is not. [By the way, isn't this Landry's contract year? I think it is. Right now, would you give him a "payday" and a 5-year deal? I would not.]
I think Laron Landry can thank D. Hall for getting him off the hook on this one, because very few people criticize Landry for giving up big plays. On a serious note, I think our defensive backs continue to have communication issues, hence the example from yesterday when Fletcher went off on Landry for a blown coverage. I know at the beginning of the season, communication was an issue due to the lack of practice/playing time. But now Haslett needs to figure out how to make that unit work.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried - Agianst

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-31-2011, 03:29 PM   #167
MVP
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 10,139
Re: Smoot lays the smack down (Skins/Bills) - mattyk edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by #56fanatic View Post
Injuries in our case is HUGE. We haven't put an emphasis on building depth for 10 years, so when starters go down it is a very big problem. As far as playcalling ability, Kyle was trying to roll out but Beck was missing some receivers that were open, tried some quick 3 step drops to get the ball out of his hands, but he was holding the ball or the receivers were not getting open. Having a whole new left side of the line causes issues all over the offense. We couldn't run, we couldn't pass protect so what else is there? Chan Gailey, SF, and Carolina have bonified playmakers on their team. Whether is Fitzpatrick, Fred Jackson, Steve Johnson on the bills, Frank Gore, Edwards, Vernon Davis, Crabtree on SF or Cam newton, DeAngelo Williams, Jonathan Stewart and STEVE " FREAKING" SMITH, along with greg olson and Shocky. so before you start calling out WHY other teams are better, they have better players. Those teams have used their draft picks over the last 5-7 years to gain those playmakers, we have not!! Lets not call out the coaching staff, they are dealing with what they have on the roster and are making it better. Kyle ran a very impressive offense in Houston for a few years, so I doubt he forgot how to coach.
Are you serious? SF's offense was pathetic last year. Harbaugh has come in there and given that offense an identity. He's instilled confidence in that offense! What's our identity?? One freakin run play and run some stupid ass reverses and then throw the ball and not protect your passer??? And I'm 100% calling out the coaching staff cause they got shut out by a 31st ranked defense!!!!! As I said, if your offense sucks then fine, but AT LEAST show me that you're trying! Show me some diversity! Buffalo ran the wildcat so why aren't we? Why didn't we keep feeding Hankerson after he made a nice play? Why do we have one run play? Why do they rotate 50 wr's every week? Why don't we keep in extra blockers? I could go on and on. Kyle sucked shit yesterday and he's sucked for pretty much the entire year. No way to sugar coat it. FIRE YOUR KID MIKE. ENOUGH!!!!
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:36 PM   #168
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16,755
Re: Smoot lays the smack down (Skins/Bills) - mattyk edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Are you serious? SF's offense was pathetic last year. Harbaugh has come in there and given that offense an identity. He's instilled confidence in that offense! What's our identity?? One freakin run play and run some stupid ass reverses and then throw the ball and not protect your passer??? And I'm 100% calling out the coaching staff cause they got shut out by a 31st ranked defense!!!!! As I said, if your offense sucks then fine, but AT LEAST show me that you're trying! Show me some diversity! Buffalo ran the wildcat so why aren't we? Why didn't we keep feeding Hankerson after he made a nice play? Why do we have one run play? Why do they rotate 50 wr's every week? Why don't we keep in extra blockers? I could go on and on. Kyle sucked shit yesterday and he's sucked for pretty much the entire year. No way to sugar coat it. FIRE YOUR KID MIKE. ENOUGH!!!!
Harbaugh kept his QB instead of wasting a 2nd rounder on a washed up QB from a divisional opponent.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried - Agianst

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:44 PM   #169
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: Smoot lays the smack down (Skins/Bills) - mattyk edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Are you serious? SF's offense was pathetic last year. Harbaugh has come in there and given that offense an identity. He's instilled confidence in that offense! What's our identity?? One freakin run play and run some stupid ass reverses and then throw the ball and not protect your passer??? And I'm 100% calling out the coaching staff cause they got shut out by a 31st ranked defense!!!!! As I said, if your offense sucks then fine, but AT LEAST show me that you're trying! Show me some diversity! Buffalo ran the wildcat so why aren't we? Why didn't we keep feeding Hankerson after he made a nice play? Why do we have one run play? Why do they rotate 50 wr's every week? Why don't we keep in extra blockers? I could go on and on. Kyle sucked shit yesterday and he's sucked for pretty much the entire year. No way to sugar coat it. FIRE YOUR KID MIKE. ENOUGH!!!!
Yeah pretty much. I don't think you fire Kyle right now, but I think Mike needs to reel him in big time. His playcalling is mind boggling.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:47 PM   #170
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 45,112
Re: Smoot lays the smack down (Skins/Bills) - mattyk edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Are you serious? SF's offense was pathetic last year. Harbaugh has come in there and given that offense an identity. He's instilled confidence in that offense! What's our identity?? One freakin run play and run some stupid ass reverses and then throw the ball and not protect your passer??? And I'm 100% calling out the coaching staff cause they got shut out by a 31st ranked defense!!!!! As I said, if your offense sucks then fine, but AT LEAST show me that you're trying! Show me some diversity! Buffalo ran the wildcat so why aren't we? Why didn't we keep feeding Hankerson after he made a nice play? Why do we have one run play? Why do they rotate 50 wr's every week? Why don't we keep in extra blockers? I could go on and on. Kyle sucked shit yesterday and he's sucked for pretty much the entire year. No way to sugar coat it. FIRE YOUR KID MIKE. ENOUGH!!!!
Who did Buffalo run the wildcat with? Brad Smith and Tyler Thigpen? Two converted QBs that can run? Who do you suppose we run the wildcat with? Grossman, a QB who can't run? Or Banks, a non QB who can run? Heck the Panthers ran the option with Cam Newton? How come we never try that?
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:48 PM   #171
The Starter
 
Chief X_Phackter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lakewood, CO
Posts: 1,082
Re: Smoot lays the smack down (Skins/Bills) - mattyk edition

Smackdown - unrealistic expectations and the lockout.

I think as fans we all probably wanted to believe that this team would take a big step forward this year. Maybe not big enough to get in the playoffs, surely not big enough to do anything if we made it; but at least a big enough step to look competitive and feel good about what we could accomplish in 2012 after acquiring a few more pieces.

Then came the 3-1 start, and again as fans, naturally a lot of people started "drinking the koolaid" and having visions of taking the division and having a big playoff run...I think I even saw the word Superbowl and Redskins in the same sentence a few times about three weeks ago.

The big issue to me, is I don't think there is any question that the lockout hurt this team in a bad way. If you look around the league, the teams that are doing well are the teams that did well last year or were starting to put it together towards the end. They had less to work on - more cohesion...Most of the teams that had major personnel moves, scheme changes, and new pieces to plug in are the ones that are struggling. There are a few exceptions, but overall it is what it is. This team needed a full offseason to put it all together and since they didn't get it, they were forced to make the best decisions they could with the players they had, and hope the guys learn on the fly and stay healthy while doing it. Well, good fortune and health lasted about four weeks and that was it. Now you see this team decimated with injuries and the rest of the division getting healthy. This will be a long season if you are expecting to see this team win a lot of games. However, if you are satisfied with seeing progress despite the youth, inexperience and devestating injuries I think you can still look forward to that...
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:52 PM   #172
MVP
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 10,139
Re: Smoot lays the smack down (Skins/Bills) - mattyk edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Harbaugh kept his QB instead of wasting a 2nd rounder on a washed up QB from a divisional opponent.
You know what I saw on TV?? Harbaugh went back and looked at every single play that Smith has had over the years and BUILT the offense around his sucessful plays ONLY! He didn't install any of his negative plays. That's coaching! That's being prepared. I don't think SF is going to win a SB with Alex Smith but they've obviously coached him up. Not seeing any of that going on around here.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:53 PM   #173
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 45,112
Re: Smoot lays the smack down (Skins/Bills) - mattyk edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Harbaugh kept his QB instead of wasting a 2nd rounder on a washed up QB from a divisional opponent.
Remarkable how everyone is lauding Harbaugh for sticking with Smith when last year when someone here mentioned that maybe Smith was getting a bad rap, the general response was "He's garbage. He totally sucks!"

That said, credit Harbaugh for above all else not asking Smith to do too much
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:55 PM   #174
MVP
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 10,139
Re: Smoot lays the smack down (Skins/Bills) - mattyk edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Who did Buffalo run the wildcat with? Brad Smith and Tyler Thigpen? Two converted QBs that can run? Who do you suppose we run the wildcat with? Grossman, a QB who can't run? Or Banks, a non QB who can run? Heck the Panthers ran the option with Cam Newton? How come we never try that?
Yes, Banks. Or let Helu do it. Just try something in order to keep some drives alive, get some 1st downs. We can't score points so time to empty out your sorry ass playbook Kyle.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:56 PM   #175
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16,755
Re: Smoot lays the smack down (Skins/Bills) - mattyk edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
You know what I saw on TV?? Harbaugh went back and looked at every single play that Smith has had over the years and BUILT the offense around his sucessful plays ONLY! He didn't install any of his negative plays. That's coaching! That's being prepared. I don't think SF is going to win a SB with Alex Smith but they've obviously coached him up. Not seeing any of that going on around here.
We seem to have a culture of coaches wanting to fit players into schemes and not trying to develop schemes that will make better use of a player's ability.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried - Agianst

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:00 PM   #176
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16,755
Re: Smoot lays the smack down (Skins/Bills) - mattyk edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Remarkable how everyone is lauding Harbaugh for sticking with Smith when last year when someone here mentioned that maybe Smith was getting a bad rap, the general response was "He's garbage. He totally sucks!"

That said, credit Harbaugh for above all else not asking Smith to do too much
I don't remember me saying anything negative about Alex Smith, and I think I have been the only one pointing out that Harbaugh stuck with him (b/c you know how much everyone hates Jason Campbell). I am sure a lot could still go wrong with the 49ers, but I think Harbaugh could have easily done what Shanahan did and try to find his own QB. I don't think we could have been better off with one more year of Jason Campbell, but given how well the team drafted in the second round this year, I am sure they could have done something better with that 2nd rounder than wasting it on McNabb.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried - Agianst

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:02 PM   #177
Registered User
 
Gary84Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,035
Re: Smoot lays the smack down (Skins/Bills) - mattyk edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Smackdown - unrealistic expectations and the lockout.

I think as fans we all probably wanted to believe that this team would take a big step forward this year. Maybe not big enough to get in the playoffs, surely not big enough to do anything if we made it; but at least a big enough step to look competitive and feel good about what we could accomplish in 2012 after acquiring a few more pieces.

Then came the 3-1 start, and again as fans, naturally a lot of people started "drinking the koolaid" and having visions of taking the division and having a big playoff run...I think I even saw the word Superbowl and Redskins in the same sentence a few times about three weeks ago.

The big issue to me, is I don't think there is any question that the lockout hurt this team in a bad way. If you look around the league, the teams that are doing well are the teams that did well last year or were starting to put it together towards the end. They had less to work on - more cohesion...Most of the teams that had major personnel moves, scheme changes, and new pieces to plug in are the ones that are struggling. There are a few exceptions, but overall it is what it is. This team needed a full offseason to put it all together and since they didn't get it, they were forced to make the best decisions they could with the players they had, and hope the guys learn on the fly and stay healthy while doing it. Well, good fortune and health lasted about four weeks and that was it. Now you see this team decimated with injuries and the rest of the division getting healthy. This will be a long season if you are expecting to see this team win a lot of games. However, if you are satisfied with seeing progress despite the youth, inexperience and devestating injuries I think you can still look forward to that...
Sorry Chief but the Shannahans need to be held accountable. They are mean spirited bullies that hold every one else accountable except themselves. Hubris is not a good character quality. In other words, they can dish it, let's see if they can take it.
Gary84Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:08 PM   #178
MVP
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 10,139
Re: Smoot lays the smack down (Skins/Bills) - mattyk edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Remarkable how everyone is lauding Harbaugh for sticking with Smith when last year when someone here mentioned that maybe Smith was getting a bad rap, the general response was "He's garbage. He totally sucks!"

That said, credit Harbaugh for above all else not asking Smith to do too much
Smith has been pretty bad his whole career but to be fair he gets a new OC every single year. Yeah they're not asking him to do too much cause they know he's limited, just like our QB's, they're limited... and I wouldn't ask them to do too much.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:12 PM   #179
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 45,112
Re: Smoot lays the smack down (Skins/Bills) - mattyk edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
I don't remember me saying anything negative about Alex Smith, and I think I have been the only one pointing out that Harbaugh stuck with him (b/c you know how much everyone hates Jason Campbell). I am sure a lot could still go wrong with the 49ers, but I think Harbaugh could have easily done what Shanahan did and try to find his own QB. I don't think we could have been better off with one more year of Jason Campbell, but given how well the team drafted in the second round this year, I am sure they could have done something better with that 2nd rounder than wasting it on McNabb.
I did say "general response"

Jevan Snead is out there. I'm not saying...I'm just saying

Seriously though...we need a QB!
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:22 PM   #180
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16,755
Re: Smoot lays the smack down (Skins/Bills) - mattyk edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I did say "general response"

Jevan Snead is out there. I'm not saying...I'm just saying

Seriously though...we need a QB!
I do remember people giving you a lot crap when you talked about Alex Smith though. You need to wear your "I told you so" t-shirt. LOL.

By the way, Chase Daniel just got a bit teary-eyed about your Snead comment. He was hoping you would start the "let's-trade-for-Chase" bandwagon. :headbange
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried - Agianst

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.36401 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25