Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Dolphins)

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 12:12 AM   #46
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,342
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Dolphins)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
We came thiiiiiis close to Locker, which would have made me happy, but then no Kerrigan and company. Could have gotten someone like Stanzi though I suppose

The whole Beck thing confuses me
I get not drafting a QB in this draft, didn't like the class much. Dalton had some questions with arm strength, level of competition etc. I don't think anyone expected him to perform so well.

The Beck thing seems like a matter of Daddy and Jr. trying to work together as co-OCs rather than having a unified direction. Daddy is Zone run, PA. Jr. is spread & throw. Daddy liked Beck, Rex is Jr's guy. When Rex was crapping himself, Daddy said let's give Beck a shot. Problem is (as we found out), Beck is a better fit for Daddy's system, not Jr's. What we also found out is that Daddy appears to be committed to Jr's system even if we continue to stick circle pegs in square holes. What needs to happen is Daddy should take control and essentially make Jr as postion coach (QBs) and call the plays himslef. Jr needs to sit back and learn the run/PA game and when we have a QB, then you can open up and let Jr have his headset back.

Bottom line, with no QB, Jr's system won't work. Plus, I believe power run mixed w/PA & balanced passing is the way to go in the NFC East. I don't want to say "suck for Luck", I think Indy has that locked....but my feeling is Rex is back in because he's the best option in-house to execute Jr's system so the young guys can get prepared for next year....when we hopefully have a QB.

Rebuilding is tough, but it is what it is. That being said, if we're in the same boat this time next year, I think Daddy & Jr are out.

And I'll throw this out too, if we're in the same boat this time next year for the money DS is paying the coaching staff (particularly the HC). You give me half that amount, and I guarantee I'd have a young, hungry staff in 30 days that could field a competitive team with the players in-house.
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-14-2011, 12:18 AM   #47
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Dolphins)

GTripp For complaining about having a young guy like Perry Riley on the team last week.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:32 AM   #48
Pro Bowl
 
SirClintonPortis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,052
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Dolphins)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
The Beck thing seems like a matter of Daddy and Jr. trying to work together as co-OCs rather than having a unified direction. Daddy is Zone run, PA. Jr. is spread & throw. Daddy liked Beck, Rex is Jr's guy. When Rex was crapping himself, Daddy said let's give Beck a shot. Problem is (as we found out), Beck is a better fit for Daddy's system, not Jr's. What we also found out is that Daddy appears to be committed to Jr's system even if we continue to stick circle pegs in square holes. What needs to happen is Daddy should take control and essentially make Jr as postion coach (QBs) and call the plays himslef. Jr needs to sit back and learn the run/PA game and when we have a QB, then you can open up and let Jr have his headset back.
I'm not sure if Beck is a fit for any NFL caliber system. He just can't process the info fast enough to play in this league, regardless of his physical skills .
__________________
Analysis using datasets (aka stats) is an attempt at reverse-engineering a player's "goodness".

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:39 AM   #49
The Starter
 
REDSKINS4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Born and raised in D.C.....but I'm a New Yorker now....
Posts: 2,200
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Dolphins)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirClintonPortis View Post
I'm not sure if Beck is a fit for any NFL caliber system. He just can't process the info fast enough to play in this league, regardless of his physical skills .

I think Beck can play. He just can't go four years without taking a snap and expect to play well once he's given an opportunity. There's no logical or rational explanation for Mike Shanahan to place a QB atop the depth chart who hasn't started nor even played in a game since 2007. That alone tells me that Mike Shanahan doesn't truly know how to evaluate quarterbacks like he says he does. And add the inconsistent Rex Grossman to compete with Beck for the starting job in preseason/training camp, and you have an offense going absolutely nowhere.

And why in the hell didn't Mike Shanahan keep Kellen Clemens? At least Clemens, unlike John Beck, has wins in the NFL as a starting QB.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:43 AM   #50
MVP
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Age: 26
Posts: 12,110
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Dolphins)

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
I think Beck can play. He just can't go four years without taking a snap and expect to play well once he's given an opportunity. There's no logical or rational explanation for Mike Shanahan to place a QB atop the depth chart who hasn't started nor even played in a game since 2007. That alone tells me that Mike Shanahan doesn't truly know how to evaluate quarterbacks like he says he does. And add the inconsistent Rex Grossman to compete with Beck for the starting job in preseason/training camp, and you have an offense going absolutely nowhere.

And why in the hell didn't Mike Shanahan keep Kellen Clemens? At least Clemens, unlike John Beck, has wins in the NFL as a starting QB.
For all the people clamoring for Clemens (see what I did there?), ask yourselves this: If Clemens is so good, how did he not at minimum claim a roster spot, or even beat out Beck or Grossman for the starting job? I swear the grass is always greener mentality on these boards is so dumb. Have you ever thought that maybe, just maybe, it doesn't matter who the starter or backup is? They all suck. Clemens must be a pretty shitty qb if he can't beat out these worthless hacks we have alternating at qb recently.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:44 AM   #51
Registered User
 
CultBrennan59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,527
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Dolphins)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
For all the people clamoring for Clemens (see what I did there?), ask yourselves this: If Clemens is so good, how did he not at minimum claim a roster spot, or even beat out Beck or Grossman for the starting job? I swear the grass is always greener mentality on these boards is so dumb. Have you ever thought that maybe, just maybe, it doesn't matter who the starter or backup is? They all suck. Clemens must be a pretty shitty qb if he can't beat out these worthless hacks we have alternating at qb recently.
Amen!

I think a lot of people on this board need reality checks when it comes to this team.
CultBrennan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:47 AM   #52
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Dolphins)

No sense is discussin the offense for the remainder of the season.

Defensively though, I think the greatest myth in Skins history is this absurd notion Shanny/Haslett have improved the defense. It's...just...effing...absurd. The average defensive units in the Williams/Blache era would have held the Dolphins to less than ten points today. I understand new fans, as in those who just "followed" Mike the Rat to DC, as believing the defense is improved. Certainly our avg at best defense (this year) is better than worst in the league (last year), so again I understand the mistake from a new fan. But for anyone who's watched this team since about '04...c'mon people denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

I soooooooo miss the Williams/Blache days of run stuffing, contain defense. With a legit FS and QB we would have been elite. Eff Shanny for setting the defense back so far.

...btw BIG props to Andre Carter for a monster game tonight. Love that guy!! Miss him and the group he was part of.

Last edited by The Goat; 11-14-2011 at 02:49 AM.
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:49 AM   #53
The Starter
 
diehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Norfolk, Va (OV)
Posts: 1,566
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Dolphins)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
Amen!

I think a lot of people on this board need reality checks when it comes to this team.
I say every fan of this team get there eyes checked and go root for another team
__________________
'Any NFL team will win with RG3. Imagine how exciting it will be watching him do it.'
diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:53 AM   #54
MVP
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Age: 26
Posts: 12,110
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Dolphins)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehard View Post
I say every fan of this team get there eyes checked and go root for another team
I was actually planning on going to get my eyes checked, just so I can plan my breakout year rooting for another team on another forum. I hear the Virginia Destroyers of UFL fame could use some more fans, I just might take my talents elsewhere next season.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:02 AM   #55
Pro Bowl
 
SirClintonPortis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,052
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Dolphins)

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
I think Beck can play. He just can't go four years without taking a snap and expect to play well once he's given an opportunity. There's no logical or rational explanation for Mike Shanahan to place a QB atop the depth chart who hasn't started nor even played in a game since 2007. That alone tells me that Mike Shanahan doesn't truly know how to evaluate quarterbacks like he says he does. And add the inconsistent Rex Grossman to compete with Beck for the starting job in preseason/training camp, and you have an offense going absolutely nowhere.

And why in the hell didn't Mike Shanahan keep Kellen Clemens? At least Clemens, unlike John Beck, has wins in the NFL as a starting QB.
There is no excuse for Beck. His frequent double-clutching and panic checkdowns tells me he just isn't quick enough. He has had 1 year in the system to study the playbook, something Alex Smith and JC did not have. The onus is on HIM to remain prepared if pressed into action. The onus is on HIM to practice throwing routes, etc to maintain chemistry with his WRs. Todd Collins came in and led the offense competently when JC went down in 2007 because he kept himself prepared. The WaPo article on Todd was quite revealing about him. The dude studied, studied, studied like he was trying to pass a class with a 100%. IF he did all those things and yet he still came out with the dud performances he did the past few, then I doubt he can improve much at all.

Heck, Carson Palmer has only had a few weeks and probably a simplified playbook, and he sure as hell didn't look like the deer headlights Beck was. Sam Bradford and Cam Newton, rookies who transitioned from that dread spread, didn't double clutch and panic checkdowned all over the place. Or hell, Tom Brady, 6th round pick, steps in and takes a team to the Super Bowl. The examples are numerous where QBs are pressed into starting and they don't look like completely lost.

I'm not saying "processing speed" is completely innate(aka they're born with it) to the player. It is just that their "slowest" speed in their first few starts is not so slow that they're constantly hesitating and not going through the progressions within 3 seconds.
__________________
Analysis using datasets (aka stats) is an attempt at reverse-engineering a player's "goodness".

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:06 AM   #56
Pro Bowl
 
SirClintonPortis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,052
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Dolphins)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
For all the people clamoring for Clemens (see what I did there?), ask yourselves this: If Clemens is so good, how did he not at minimum claim a roster spot, or even beat out Beck or Grossman for the starting job? I swear the grass is always greener mentality on these boards is so dumb. Have you ever thought that maybe, just maybe, it doesn't matter who the starter or backup is? They all suck. Clemens must be a pretty shitty qb if he can't beat out these worthless hacks we have alternating at qb recently.
As Devil's Advocate. :FIREdevil
I counter that, the Shanahans were not completely biased and wanted to see their boy make the roster. After all, Joey Galloway didn't really need to compete at all. :FIREdevil
__________________
Analysis using datasets (aka stats) is an attempt at reverse-engineering a player's "goodness".

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:02 AM   #57
The Starter
 
REDSKINS4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Born and raised in D.C.....but I'm a New Yorker now....
Posts: 2,200
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Dolphins)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirClintonPortis View Post
There is no excuse for Beck. His frequent double-clutching and panic checkdowns tells me he just isn't quick enough. He has had 1 year in the system to study the playbook, something Alex Smith and JC did not have. The onus is on HIM to remain prepared if pressed into action. The onus is on HIM to practice throwing routes, etc to maintain chemistry with his WRs. Todd Collins came in and led the offense competently when JC went down in 2007 because he kept himself prepared. The WaPo article on Todd was quite revealing about him. The dude studied, studied, studied like he was trying to pass a class with a 100%. IF he did all those things and yet he still came out with the dud performances he did the past few, then I doubt he can improve much at all.

Heck, Carson Palmer has only had a few weeks and probably a simplified playbook, and he sure as hell didn't look like the deer headlights Beck was. Sam Bradford and Cam Newton, rookies who transitioned from that dread spread, didn't double clutch and panic checkdowned all over the place. Or hell, Tom Brady, 6th round pick, steps in and takes a team to the Super Bowl. The examples are numerous where QBs are pressed into starting and they don't look like completely lost.

I'm not saying "processing speed" is completely innate(aka they're born with it) to the player. It is just that their "slowest" speed in their first few starts is not so slow that they're constantly hesitating and not going through the progressions within 3 seconds.
As a enormous Redskins fan, I'm just shocked as hell to find out that Mike Shanahan, two time Super Bowl winning head coach, doesn't know QBs. He coached Joe Montana, Steve Young, John Elway, Jake Plummer, and Jay Cutler. As a offensive coordinator and head coach, he won with those QBs, right?

Now let's fast forward to Mike Shanahan's tenure as head coach of the Washington Redskins. He cuts Todd Collins, doesn't re-sign Jason Campbell, trades a 2nd and 4th round pick for Donovan McNabb, trades for John Beck, signs Rex Grossman, and then trades McNabb. Then the worst of all decisions that he could possibly make results in him not drafting a QB in the 2011 draft, and not signing Matt Hasselback or another veteran QB that has played in the west coast offense after the NFL lockout was finished. That's eight TERRIBLE decisions that Mike Shanahan has made right there that's resulted in nothing but mediocrity at the quarterback position.

SHANAHAN HAS GOTTEN IT HORRIBLY WRONG WITH ALL OF THE DECISIONS THAT HE'S MADE PERTAINING TO THE QB POSITION SINCE HE'S BEEN THE HEAD COACH OF THE WASHINGTON REDSKINS!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by REDSKINS4ever; 11-14-2011 at 05:03 AM.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:08 AM   #58
The Starter
 
Swarley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Age: 25
Posts: 1,035
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Dolphins)

cutting Todd Collins was a terrible decision? And I'd highly disagree that signing Rex Grossman as a backup qb was a bad decision.

In truth Shanahan took a big chance on McNabb, and failed. Chose not to draft a QB this past draft which looks like a mistake until at least next year. That equals two mistakes, not 8.
__________________
doing it all in the spirit of the salary cap!
Swarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:40 AM   #59
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Dolphins)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Mike Shanahan - yes because he wanted these 2 QBs and didn't draft a rookie after having a chance at Dalton in the 2nd.. What a sad joke

Rex Grossman- Dude you make some good throws until it's time to actually score then u **** it all up over and over.

Defense - played ok but too many holes in the secondary and I thought that would b a strong point.

Kyle again- 3rd and 2 and u don't run ? Speechless
Why do people keep saying we had a chance at Dalton?? I've read that over and over. Dalton was taken with the 35th pick in the second round and we had the 41st pick. The plan clearly was never to package some sort of deal to move up -- they wanted to maximize their selections or trade down to get more. Yes, Dalton sure looks better than anything we have now -- but here's the key point: Dalton has some semblance of a supporting cast around him. Dalton would be running for his life with no running game and no one to throw to if he was here.

As far as Kyle's playcalling goes, I seem to remember several runs going for less than 2 yards. Apart from a couple of draw plays by Helu late in the game, it didn't look to me like they were capable of getting yardage on the ground when they needed it. But people just won't give up bashing the offensive coordinator for the line's inability to run block...

Last edited by Beemnseven; 11-14-2011 at 08:49 AM.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:49 AM   #60
Playmaker
 
CrustyRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: RatherbeinDC, TX
Posts: 2,678
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Dolphins)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekSkin View Post
cutting Todd Collins was a terrible decision? And I'd highly disagree that signing Rex Grossman as a backup qb was a bad decision.

In truth Shanahan took a big chance on McNabb, and failed. Chose not to draft a QB this past draft which looks like a mistake until at least next year. That equals two mistakes, not 8.
WHile Ryan Mallet is picking boogers in New England.
__________________
Lafayette, we're here.

HTTR. You wern't a bunch of losers on 10-27-14.
CrustyRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.33373 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25