Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Lets look at future positives

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2011, 03:08 PM   #1
Impact Rookie
 
skinster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 754
Lets look at future positives

So, shit sucks for this year, and I don't see us being a superbowl team anytime soon, but I can draw some (hopeful) positives from this year.

1. Laron Landry going on IR and Fred Davis getting suspended in their contract years. Will probably lower the price on both their heads to retain (hopefully other teams don't swoop in and overbid for either one of them...which I'm kinda afraid of)

2. Perry Riley starting over rocky. I dunno how well he's actually played considering I've been watching less and less of the Redskins as the year goes on, but I hate rocky and its good to see that one of our draft picks has outplayed him.

3. Roy Helu looks like he can contribute in the backfield. I'm still not sold on him being our featured back. The numbers are there but my personal philosophy likes consistency over 1-2 good runs a game that inflate the numbers (especially on 3rd and long draws), which I don't believe Helu is doing. But he looks good enough to contribute to our team for a while.

4. Jarvis Jenkins, Leonard Hankerson, Kory Lichtensteiger, and possibly Tim Hightower coming back. Especially Jenkins, who looked like a beast in pre-season. I'm not going to be sold on either rookie until they produce well for a solid season, but I'm hopeful that they both will be positives on our teams to come. The run game had a significant drop off after Kory went down. Hightower looks like more of a workhorse than helu, but I don't like big backs...don't think they last too long.

5. Our (hopefully) high draft picks. Here's to hopefully doing worse than the dolphins, and the jaguars new head coach taking a chance on gabbert (who I'm saying right now, will never be good). And Here's to there hopefully being quality nfl qbs beyond Luck in the draft. What I believe the most underrated part of having a top pick is that EVERY round we have a top pick. The worst team's 2nd pick is essentially the same value as the best team's first.

6. Trent Williams/Fred Davis's suspension. Hopefully they realize they are in the doghouse, come back with new attitudes and take the game more seriously.

7. The outside linebackers blitzing better. We all love the orakpo/kerrigan mix, but I'm not as in love as everyone else. Orakpo seemed like a much better DE, and Kerrigan seems to get his numbers when he gets mismatches. I'm looking for both of them to have better years after another year in Hasletts system. I think they'll need it as I anticipate a worse year for our secondary.
skinster is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-15-2011, 03:15 PM   #2
Playmaker
 
CrustyRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: RatherbeinDC, TX
Posts: 2,656
Re: Lets look at future positives

That pretty much summs it up, not a bad assessment rook. Itl be interesting to see how Hightower heals, i liked how he ran, but if not for his injury we might not have seen much of the other rb's.
__________________
Lafayette, we're here.

HTTR. Your wern't a bunch of losers on 10-27-14.

Last edited by CrustyRedskin; 12-15-2011 at 03:24 PM.
CrustyRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:18 PM   #3
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,892
Re: Lets look at future positives

These might be the most backhanded positive I've ever read
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:41 PM   #4
Impact Rookie
 
skinster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 754
Re: Lets look at future positives

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
These might be the most backhanded positive I've ever read
Lol sorry, just trying to be realistic. I do believe that all the things I said are potential positives though, but I don't like hoping for things that probably won't happen (i.e. terrence austin becoming a competent receiver).
skinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:42 PM   #5
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 82,988
Re: Lets look at future positives

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
These might be the most backhanded positive I've ever read
lol seriously

hey lets look at the kinda sorta somewhat positives we may possibly have going for us... maybe
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:16 PM   #6
Franchise Player
 
ArtMonkDrillz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Age: 32
Posts: 8,004
Re: Lets look at future positives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
lol seriously

hey lets look at the kinda sorta somewhat positives we may possibly have going for us... maybe
Here's a positive for the near future: we only have to watch terrible football for a few more weeks!!! Yay for the offseason!
__________________
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." The Dude
ArtMonkDrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:31 PM   #7
Playmaker
 
CrustyRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: RatherbeinDC, TX
Posts: 2,656
Re: Lets look at future positives

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMonkDrillz View Post
Here's a positive for the near future: we only have to watch terrible football for a few more weeks!!! Yay for the offseason!
And if they dont get the ship right, we're gona be watching it for 16 weeks again next year!!! This years draft to me is the most important one we have had since we got the 2nd and 3rd picks way back when!!!
__________________
Lafayette, we're here.

HTTR. Your wern't a bunch of losers on 10-27-14.
CrustyRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:40 PM   #8
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Lets look at future positives

I'm not sure there are any real positives on the horizon under the existing regime i.e. the risk/reward ratio just doesn't engender optimism. FO/coaching decisions at QB, and probably on offense as a whole, have been one mistake after another for two consecutive seasons, and I don't think the law of averages applies in this case to "reward" them with better luck in the third season. Fundamental errors, based on poor player/talent evaluation, do not tend to correct themselves.

On the other hand, given our draft outlook and personnel on defense especially (though probably in a version of the 4-3), we could be optimistic under a different regime and FO structure.
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:41 PM   #9
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 82,988
Re: Lets look at future positives

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMonkDrillz View Post
Here's a positive for the near future: we only have to watch terrible football for a few more weeks!!! Yay for the offseason!
The big positive is playoff football is right around the corner. Whether the Skins are involved or not, it's always the best time of the year.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:27 PM   #10
Playmaker
 
sportscurmudgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,159
Re: Lets look at future positives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
The big positive is playoff football is right around the corner. Whether the Skins are involved or not, it's always the best time of the year.
Gotta agree with that...
__________________
The Sports Curmudgeon
www.sportscurmudgeon.com
But don't get me wrong, I love sports...
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:36 PM   #11
Playmaker
 
sportscurmudgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,159
Re: Lets look at future positives

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinster View Post
So, shit sucks for this year, and I don't see us being a superbowl team anytime soon, but I can draw some (hopeful) positives from this year.

1. Laron Landry going on IR and Fred Davis getting suspended in their contract years. Will probably lower the price on both their heads to retain (hopefully other teams don't swoop in and overbid for either one of them...which I'm kinda afraid of)

2. Perry Riley starting over rocky. I dunno how well he's actually played considering I've been watching less and less of the Redskins as the year goes on, but I hate rocky and its good to see that one of our draft picks has outplayed him.

3. Roy Helu looks like he can contribute in the backfield. I'm still not sold on him being our featured back. The numbers are there but my personal philosophy likes consistency over 1-2 good runs a game that inflate the numbers (especially on 3rd and long draws), which I don't believe Helu is doing. But he looks good enough to contribute to our team for a while.

4. Jarvis Jenkins, Leonard Hankerson, Kory Lichtensteiger, and possibly Tim Hightower coming back. Especially Jenkins, who looked like a beast in pre-season. I'm not going to be sold on either rookie until they produce well for a solid season, but I'm hopeful that they both will be positives on our teams to come. The run game had a significant drop off after Kory went down. Hightower looks like more of a workhorse than helu, but I don't like big backs...don't think they last too long.

5. Our (hopefully) high draft picks. Here's to hopefully doing worse than the dolphins, and the jaguars new head coach taking a chance on gabbert (who I'm saying right now, will never be good). And Here's to there hopefully being quality nfl qbs beyond Luck in the draft. What I believe the most underrated part of having a top pick is that EVERY round we have a top pick. The worst team's 2nd pick is essentially the same value as the best team's first.

6. Trent Williams/Fred Davis's suspension. Hopefully they realize they are in the doghouse, come back with new attitudes and take the game more seriously.

7. The outside linebackers blitzing better. We all love the orakpo/kerrigan mix, but I'm not as in love as everyone else. Orakpo seemed like a much better DE, and Kerrigan seems to get his numbers when he gets mismatches. I'm looking for both of them to have better years after another year in Hasletts system. I think they'll need it as I anticipate a worse year for our secondary.

Losing Laron Landry in free agency would not be the worst thing that could happen to the Redskins. Losing Fred Davis in free agency would be tougher to overcome than losing Landry, but that would still be far short of disastrous.

I sure would love to see a Tim Hightower (healed and healthy)/Roy Helu tandem at RB. Play them in whatever order pleases you; both look like they can play well.

I will temper my enthusiasm for both Jenkins and Hankerson until I see them play well on Sundays in games that matter against guys who have made the final cuts on other NFL teams. Jenkins looked good in exhibition games and Hankerson had one very good real game. Great! Now do it every Sunday in the Fall and Winter.

I do not know that Gabbert will NEVER be any good - - but I do know that he is not good now. That should be a cautionary tale for the Redskins who will be looking to draft a QB this year. Gabbert was highly rated and sought after in last year's draft. College football and the NFL are not the same game.

If Trent Williams comes back next year and the team allows him to have the "Captain's Insignia", then the inmates are running the asylum.
__________________
The Sports Curmudgeon
www.sportscurmudgeon.com
But don't get me wrong, I love sports...
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:13 PM   #12
The Starter
 
SolidSnake84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stephens City, VA
Posts: 1,898
Re: Lets look at future positives

I am always guilty of analyzing only the offense, but i feel like I know the most about that.

QB: I think Grossman returns next year. Even if we draft a QB, unless he is absolutley top flight, i think Grossman starts until the skins get out of playoff contention. There will be temptation to try and pick up Manning and "win right now", but I honestly hope we look the other way. He is on the way wrong side of 30, and by all accounts is physically disabled after his 3rd surgery. He is throwing the ball again, but his arm strength has plateaued, he has problems with his tricep because of the nerve damage, and he also has to get back injections because of spasming, also a result of nerve damage. I'm not honestly sure if Peyton will play ever again.

RB: I like what I see from Helu, not sure if he can be a feature back. I am intrigued at the thought of a Helu / Hightower combination. I think a two back system is a must in today's NFL.

WR: I think its the same old same old. Moss returns, but we are basically going to try and do more with less. I would like to see a big, physical wide receiver that is at least 6'3" or so.

TE: If Davis comes back from his suspension and he is all there mentally, then we are set. I really don't think Cooley will return. He might be brought back for depth if he can work a new deal out, but I honestly think he might run into a situation where he is put on PUP or something. I last heard that one of his legs is slightly shorter than the other because of the infection / bone injury whatever.

OL: We are seeing improvement, but i still think this could be addressed through the draft. It might just be me, but I think the line has played great at times this year. we need consistency out of those guys, maybe one big free agent lineman pickup.
__________________
Time to nut up or shut up
SolidSnake84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:29 PM   #13
Franchise Player
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 7,695
Re: Lets look at future positives

Helu and Royster
Hankerson and Paul
Gomes and Thompson
Hurt and Willie Smith
Markus White
Kerrigan and Jenkins
Riley

Drafting a QB, CB, G/C, T and S, WR.

Injuries, lack of depth, suspensions and QB play killed this team. Now they are starting to find depth in the OL, another great draft starting with either Barkley or RGIII, a cover corner with the 2nd pick and filling more depth all around this team could next years 49ers. There's a lot to be positive about, can't wait for the draft and next year.
__________________
Joe Gibbs- The best coach of all time, Lombardi trophy should be renamed Gibbs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.


Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:01 AM   #14
Impact Rookie
 
skinster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 754
Re: Lets look at future positives

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Helu and Royster
Hankerson and Paul
Gomes and Thompson
Hurt and Willie Smith
Markus White
Kerrigan and Jenkins
Riley

Drafting a QB, CB, G/C, T and S, WR.

Injuries, lack of depth, suspensions and QB play killed this team. Now they are starting to find depth in the OL, another great draft starting with either Barkley or RGIII, a cover corner with the 2nd pick and filling more depth all around this team could next years 49ers. There's a lot to be positive about, can't wait for the draft and next year.
I disagree with just about everyone when its said that qb play killed this team. I think that Rex Grossman is a capable qb in this system, IF the system works. IF the run is set up well, rex seems to do well on the play action passes. We have to consider that the run game was terrible, the wrs were scraped together, and the o-line was in a dissaray this whole season. I think rex played well considering the circumstances, and I don't think it was qb play that killed the team. Rex isn't a guy that will put the team on his back, but I think he played well enough to say that we could have won if he had the proper support (which he didn't have).
skinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:06 AM   #15
Franchise Player
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 7,695
Re: Lets look at future positives

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinster View Post
I disagree with just about everyone when its said that qb play killed this team. I think that Rex Grossman is a capable qb in this system, IF the system works. IF the run is set up well, rex seems to do well on the play action passes. We have to consider that the run game was terrible, the wrs were scraped together, and the o-line was in a dissaray this whole season. I think rex played well considering the circumstances, and I don't think it was qb play that killed the team. Rex isn't a guy that will put the team on his back, but I think he played well enough to say that we could have won if he had the proper support (which he didn't have).
16 games w/ 16 int's. How do you explain that? Grossman is not a starting caliber QB, have you watched the games? I won't blame Grossman for everything but he is a big part of the problem.
__________________
Joe Gibbs- The best coach of all time, Lombardi trophy should be renamed Gibbs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.


Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.32497 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25