Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Redskins have dinner with WR Troy Williamson

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2005, 04:31 PM   #16
Mr. Brightside
 
Big C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Age: 28
Posts: 4,442
williams was a bigger playmaker than this guy williamson, and i havent seen williamson on any boards i dont think. kiper has williams in the top 10, i dont think williamson was in the top 30.
__________________
"I don't care what nobody say I'm a be me, stay hood stay real, cause I'm out here grindin'" -Joe Gibbs
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-25-2005, 04:33 PM   #17
Mr. Brightside
 
Big C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Age: 28
Posts: 4,442
i mean...ppl go from saying that mike williams is our savior to saying that we would take this guy that hasnt been talked about on this board at all, i just dont see how this one article makes everyone change their minds from mike williams to a guy who isnt jrojected near #9, just dont get it.
__________________
"I don't care what nobody say I'm a be me, stay hood stay real, cause I'm out here grindin'" -Joe Gibbs
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 04:36 PM   #18
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,621
Just as long as he isn't another Michael Westbrook!
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 04:38 PM   #19
Impact Rookie
 
skins009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 528
Troy Williamson with the ninth pick are you kidding me. I wouldn't be surprised if he fell to the second round. Definetly not worth such a high pick. The skins need to draft a d-linemen or Braylon Edwards with the 9th pick.
skins009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 04:50 PM   #20
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,892
I think NFL Draft Countdown has him going to Baltimore at 22
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 05:08 PM   #21
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 82,988
So much can and will change from now until draft day, everything now is pure speculation.
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 05:48 PM   #22
Impact Rookie
 
SkinsRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Crofton, MD
Age: 44
Posts: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
So much can and will change from now until draft day, everything now is pure speculation.
Exactly. Last year at this time, a lot of people had us picking a RB early...no one had a clue about the Portis/Bailey trade, which affected both teams' draft. Not saying the Redskins will be quite a splashy with their moves (I really don't think we will be), but the draft is nearly impossible to predict until after free agency really gets going. Then, everyone gets a much better idea as to who needs what, not to mention draft picks being traded for players.
SkinsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 06:41 PM   #23
Special Teams
 
Shane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 277
From ESPN Insider - Scouts Inc.:

14. Carolina Panthers (7-9)
Troy Williamson* | WR | South Carolina
If the Panthers get Steve Smith back healthy and are able to re-sign Muhsin Muhammad before he becomes a free agent, wide receiver will no longer be a pressing need. However, if the team loses Muhammad, which is a likely scenario, drafting a big-play, vertical threat like Williamson would be a great value. Williamson is an underrated prospect right now because people haven't evaluated the underclassmen as much to this point. Once the 6-2, 205-pound playmaker runs a 4.4 during postseason workouts, his draft stock will skyrocket.

4. Chicago Bears (5-11)
Braylon Edwards | WR | Michigan
The Bears desperately need a wide receiver who can stretch the field vertically, and Edwards is the best this class has to offer. Some think the Bears will shy away from using another top pick on a Michigan wide receiver, but that theory is ridiculous. For starters, the current regime wasn't in place when the Bears drafted David Terrell. Secondly, Edwards is bigger and faster than Terrell and made far more big plays at the collegiate level than Terrell did. In our opinion, Edwards is the best receiver in this year's draft and has elite NFL potential.

12. San Diego Chargers (12-4)
Mike Williams | WR | USC
Despite their impressive turnaround in 2004, the Chargers still have several positions of need to address. With two picks in the first round (12 and 28), the team can either elect to package the two to move up or stay put and add two quality first-round youngsters. If it's the latter, drafting a dynamic wide receiver like Williams here would be awfully tempting. Williams doesn't have great speed and has been out of football for a year, but he is big enough and athletic enough to develop into a vertical threat. Adding a playmaker like Williams to go along with TE Antonio Gates and RB LaDainian Tomlinson would make the Chargers' offense frightening to match up against no matter the signal-caller.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 06:48 PM   #24
Special Teams
 
Shane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 277
The Sporting News
Draft Watch: Top underclassmen

Top underclassmen prospects

Marion Barber III, 5-11/215, RB, Minnesota. Is a gifted runner with vision and power who could sneak into the bottom of the first round. Isn't a burner. Has good hands and also can return punts.

Darryl Blackstock, 6-3/240, LB, Virginia. Is a playmaker best suited as an outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense but also could be a middle 'backer in a 4-3 or an end in an up-the-field 4-3 scheme. Is a good pass rusher who also can run and cover.

Channing Crowder, 6-3/241, LB, Florida. Is an old-school linebacker who plays big. Is instinctive and athletic. Is ideal at middle linebacker, and teams also will consider him as an outside 'backer.

Thomas Davis, 6-1/220, S, Georgia. Is a fast, aggressive, physical prospect. Has good measurables with a feel for the position. Is tough.

Adam Jones, 5-10/190, CB, West Virginia. Is a playmaker with excellent speed and quickness. Has ball skills. Plays taller than he is.

Shawne Merriman, 6-4/253, DE, Maryland. Would be perfect as an outside 'backer in a 3-4. Is small for an end. Has raw tools and can pass rush.

Heath Miller, 6-5/255, TE, Virginia. Draft's top tight end prospect has a nice blend of receiving and blocking skills. Shows good effort as a blocker.

Justin Miller, 5-11/200, CB, Clemson. Is a strong, explosive corner who can play man or zone. Has the speed to run with top receivers. Is a little inconsistent. Also is a fine return man.

Vernand Morency, 5-10/215, RB, Oklahoma State. Fast, powerful runner hits the hole hard. Has the body to be a workhorse. Bounces off tacklers.

Brodney Pool, 6-2/200, S, Oklahoma. Active and instinctive playmaker who stands out on a great team. Is smart and tough. Has decent speed.

Aaron Rodgers, 6-2/210, QB, California. Has good velocity and solid mechanics. Makes good decisions. Played in a quarterback-friendly system. Could be the first player selected.

Alex Smith, 6-4/210, QB, Utah. Is a very smart passer who makes good decisions. Has top intangibles. Is an accurate thrower. Might not have the raw skills and arm strength of some top quarterbacks.

Justin Tuck, 6-5/255, DE, Notre Dame. Has good body control and is explosive. Productive sack artist has the strength to play the run.

Mike Williams, 6-5/230, WR, USC. Sat out a year, which could hurt him. Great athlete has soft hands and makes circus catches. Lacks top speed.

Troy Williamson, 6-2/200, WR, South Carolina. Speedster has great body control and hands. Makes a lot of plays. Is put together well.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 06:49 PM   #25
Special Teams
 
Shane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 277
The Sporting News
Draft Watch: Top underclassmen

They list two wide receivers as "Top underclassmen prospects"

Mike Williams, 6-5/230, WR, USC. Sat out a year, which could hurt him. Great athlete has soft hands and makes circus catches. Lacks top speed.

Troy Williamson, 6-2/200, WR, South Carolina. Speedster has great body control and hands. Makes a lot of plays. Is put together well.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 08:22 PM   #26
Special Teams
 
shallyshal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 336
IMHO taking this fellow at #9 would be way too high. he reminds me some of ashley lelie, the denver wideout. he has turned into a fine wideout, but it has taken him the better part of 2 years to get there. taking him that high in this draft is foolish because he will not be productive for this team next year. much better to take a wideout a bit later in the draft. there will be guys in rounds 3-4 who could help us just as much as this guy will next year.

besides, i would far prefer to grab someone like givens, who will be a free agent after this year if the pats do not resign him. with all the depth they have at wideout (branch, patton, troy brown, bethel johnson and givens) someone of quality is going to get released. patton is cheap. brown can play corner and returns for them. branch has amazing speed as does bethel johnson. givens could be the odd man out. if so, someone is going to get a bigtime receiver. did you all hear this stat on him?? in his entire college/pro career he has NEVER lost a fumble. that has joe gibbs written all over it.

while we are at it, the only receiver i could see the skins taking at #9 would be mike williams. that is a guy who WILL be productive next year.

Last edited by shallyshal; 01-25-2005 at 08:26 PM. Reason: typos
shallyshal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 08:43 PM   #27
Special Teams
 
Shane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 277
One of the things about Williamson I like is his speed. Having Ramsey as your quarterback means you want guys to be able to get downfield fast to take full advantage of his strong arm. Williamson has good hands I have read and he has excellent body control - so he isn't just a converted track star. Furthermore, going against top cornerbacks - he has dominated them it is reported.

With Mike Williams you have another terrific prospect, but does he fit with the Redskins best? We need the downfield dimension, - a new "downtown Charlie Brown" and Williams' talents are better in other areas it seems.

With Braylon Edwards, I would think it is pretty likely we would have to trade up to draft him.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 08:56 PM   #28
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 82,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsRock
Exactly. Last year at this time, a lot of people had us picking a RB early...no one had a clue about the Portis/Bailey trade, which affected both teams' draft. Not saying the Redskins will be quite a splashy with their moves (I really don't think we will be), but the draft is nearly impossible to predict until after free agency really gets going. Then, everyone gets a much better idea as to who needs what, not to mention draft picks being traded for players.
good point, free agency can change everything
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 09:52 PM   #29
Special Teams
 
jrocx69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Dallas
Age: 33
Posts: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by shallyshal
IMHO taking this fellow at #9 would be way too high. he reminds me some of ashley lelie, the denver wideout. he has turned into a fine wideout, but it has taken him the better part of 2 years to get there. taking him that high in this draft is foolish because he will not be productive for this team next year. much better to take a wideout a bit later in the draft. there will be guys in rounds 3-4 who could help us just as much as this guy will next year.

besides, i would far prefer to grab someone like givens, who will be a free agent after this year if the pats do not resign him. with all the depth they have at wideout (branch, patton, troy brown, bethel johnson and givens) someone of quality is going to get released. patton is cheap. brown can play corner and returns for them. branch has amazing speed as does bethel johnson. givens could be the odd man out. if so, someone is going to get a bigtime receiver. did you all hear this stat on him?? in his entire college/pro career he has NEVER lost a fumble. that has joe gibbs written all over it.

while we are at it, the only receiver i could see the skins taking at #9 would be mike williams. that is a guy who WILL be productive next year.
your not understanding the purpose of having this guy... he will be great for stretching the D, with 4.3 speed and good hands, rookie or not, the D will have to pay attention to him. meaning the FS is gonna slide over and play deep. and thats great, we made more of an opening for portis... get it? no one respected our wr's last year, and no one will this year... we need that caliber player to help us out with that (and gibbs calling more deep routes). Stretching the opposing D is what portis needs. you just dont see alot of speed and hands combination unless they are drafted in round 1. so anyway, i love the idea, yet i still want a DE. we pass them up every year and go to the FA market. WE NEED TO GROOM OUR OWN DAMN DE. AND I LOVE POLLACK OR JUSTIN TUCK. they can really make a difference for us against mcnabb for two games and we play atlanta next year as well, which i think would help considerably vs vick
jrocx69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 10:39 PM   #30
The Starter
 
GoSkins!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Yorktown, Va
Age: 45
Posts: 1,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrocx69
your not understanding the purpose of having this guy... he will be great for stretching the D, with 4.3 speed and good hands, rookie or not, the D will have to pay attention to him. meaning the FS is gonna slide over and play deep. and thats great, we made more of an opening for portis... get it? no one respected our wr's last year, and no one will this year... we need that caliber player to help us out with that (and gibbs calling more deep routes). Stretching the opposing D is what portis needs. you just dont see alot of speed and hands combination unless they are drafted in round 1.
I have to agree with that. Having a speedster will help with stretching the d. Short passing routes and the running game will be more productive. Think of how many tackles Shawn Taylor made against the run last year. He did it because he didn't have to play deep very often (thanks to our corners). We need to take opposing safteys away from the line of scrimmage.
Imagine... Coles, Williamson, Jacobs, Thrash in a 4 receiver set. Now send them deep and pass to Portis (with a step) one on one against an LB. Talk about room to run....
__________________
Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts. A. Einstien
GoSkins! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.34941 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25