Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


A Jabar Gaffney thread

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 01:17 PM   #1
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
A Jabar Gaffney thread

Jabar Gaffney needs 81 receiving yards against the Eagles to finish with 1,000 yards receiving, while catching passes from John Beck and Rex Grossman.

1,000 yards for a rusher doesn't mean much anymore, but it's still pretty rare for a receiver to get 1,000 yards. Santana Moss has done it three times as a Redskin. Jabar Gaffney hasn't done it in his 10 year career.

He is under contract for next year. But if we're going to actually rely on him for the future, we should extend him now as opposed to waiting for next season and then trying to decide how valuable he is at the end of next year.

Interestingly enough, Fred Davis probably would have gone over 1,000 yards this year had he not been suspended and remained healthy. The Redskins could have (although it would have been unlikely) produced two 1,000 yard receivers this year.

Looking at film, I think our passing game is still pretty limited. It still relies on the opponent playing a lot of zone coverage to create passing lanes. You pretty much have to man cover the Redskins. When you do, you get games like the Jets game where Grossman looks terrible. But not every defense in the NFL is comfortable playing man coverage.

But two different guys approaching 1,000 yards this year is not insignificant, and suggests that the passing game may be improving. Maybe not improving by a lot, but the ability to beat up on teams that play zone is much improved over being unable to beat any team.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-26-2011, 02:17 PM   #2
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,456
Re: A Jabar Gaffney thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehard View Post
Gaffney will be starting alongside Hankerson next year.
This.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:32 PM   #3
Playmaker
 
Paintrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Age: 43
Posts: 4,920
Re: A Jabar Gaffney thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Jabar Gaffney needs 81 receiving yards against the Eagles to finish with 1,000 yards receiving, while catching passes from John Beck and Rex Grossman.

1,000 yards for a rusher doesn't mean much anymore, but it's still pretty rare for a receiver to get 1,000 yards. Santana Moss has done it three times as a Redskin. Jabar Gaffney hasn't done it in his 10 year career.

He is under contract for next year. But if we're going to actually rely on him for the future, we should extend him now as opposed to waiting for next season and then trying to decide how valuable he is at the end of next year.

Interestingly enough, Fred Davis probably would have gone over 1,000 yards this year had he not been suspended and remained healthy. The Redskins could have (although it would have been unlikely) produced two 1,000 yard receivers this year.

Looking at film, I think our passing game is still pretty limited. It still relies on the opponent playing a lot of zone coverage to create passing lanes. You pretty much have to man cover the Redskins. When you do, you get games like the Jets game where Grossman looks terrible. But not every defense in the NFL is comfortable playing man coverage.

But two different guys approaching 1,000 yards this year is not insignificant, and suggests that the passing game may be improving. Maybe not improving by a lot, but the ability to beat up on teams that play zone is much improved over being unable to beat any team.
Wouldn't you agree this is more of a talent issue than a scheme issue? For example, if we had better talent at the position routes like the deep crosses would be tougher to cover with man coverage. I'm actually looking forward to this scheme with a better cast of characters. Not taking anything away from Gaffney, he's had an excellent year-only noting that if he has 1,000 yards, Davis would have been close or eclipsed 1,000 yards and even with his poor ball security Grossman is close to achieving career yardage totals, the system ain't broke.
__________________
Challenge Greatness! Be A Leader! Make A Difference!
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:05 PM   #4
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,753
Re: A Jabar Gaffney thread

Gaffney is solid, he just knows how to get open. We got a steal in that trade.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:18 PM   #5
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: A Jabar Gaffney thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
Wouldn't you agree this is more of a talent issue than a scheme issue? For example, if we had better talent at the position routes like the deep crosses would be tougher to cover with man coverage. I'm actually looking forward to this scheme with a better cast of characters. Not taking anything away from Gaffney, he's had an excellent year-only noting that if he has 1,000 yards, Davis would have been close or eclipsed 1,000 yards and even with his poor ball security Grossman is close to achieving career yardage totals, the system ain't broke.
Not being able to handle man coverage is a talent issue, not an issue with the Redskins being unable to call routes that beat man coverage.

The passing scheme is limited by the fact that it doesn't use the whole field sideline to sideline: it's a one-part of the field vertical attack off of play action. It's good because it attacks the safety level of the defense relatively often, and there aren't enough good safeties in this league to stop it. But we don't use the whole field and motion to create match-ups. The only matchups we take advantage of are gameplanned. There are no adjustments-on the fly in the passing game. It's the same thing every week, every drive. Which limits the kinds of looks we can give a defense.

The offensive staff made some awful personnel decisions in the running game, and so we pretty much did not have a running game for the first 9 or 10 games of the season. Now they've added a few wrinkles with end arounds, reverses, and even something as simple as using the toss play off of inside zone blocking to give the defense fits. We've done a good job of attacking defenses on the ground in the month of December, even though it couldn't have made less of a difference to the staff most of the season. That's the bizarre angle.

So more offensive wrinkles have made the Redskins more difficult to defend, which is a big plus. It's also dictating more zone coverage in early downs, when the Redskins like to throw. And in third down and manageable, our OL has improved and our WRs are finally getting open.

But I would say that we're still very limited in the passing game. Limited doesn't mean bad, it just means no margin for error. I don't think our passing scheme will ever go out and just systematically light people up, regardless of who we get at quarterback and who we get at receiver. I think we'll continue to have success attacking the safety level of the defense. And like I said before, the ways to adjust to the Redskins are to increase the supply of good cover safeties in the NFL, or to play a lot of man coverage.

Kyle has not proven that if the Redskins see a steady diet of press man coverage to throw off the timing of the Redskins passing game, that he is comfortable running the ball to win the game. But I think he's calling much more diverse games than he was even a month ago.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:01 AM   #6
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,104
Re: A Jabar Gaffney thread

Jabar has been a great sign for sure, I just hope we get a true 1 next yr
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:48 AM   #7
The Starter
 
REDSKINS4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Born and raised in D.C.....but I'm a New Yorker now....
Posts: 2,125
Re: A Jabar Gaffney thread

Rod Gardner was the last number 2 wide receiver that we had that had over 1,000 yards in a season. I hope Gaffney reaches that milestone. Gaffney was a 2nd round selection of the Houston Texans back in 2002. During his career he hasn't really played up to his potential. He has some productive seasons. If he tops 1,000 yards this season, I will buy his jersey.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:19 PM   #8
The Starter
 
vallin21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vienna Va
Posts: 1,029
Re: A Jabar Gaffney thread

Really surprised to hear he hasn't hit the 1,000 yrd mark at least once already in his 10 seasons; and even if he doesn't get to 1,000 yards, this would still be a great season for him, considering he was traded for almost nothing (Jarmon), how consistent he's been, and how inconsistent our QB play was this yr. If anything we at least know we have a decent #2 WR for '12.
vallin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:42 PM   #9
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,524
Re: A Jabar Gaffney thread

Gaffney, Hankerson, Moss. I can live with that.
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:34 PM   #10
The Starter
 
Swarley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Age: 25
Posts: 1,035
Re: A Jabar Gaffney thread

Gaffney has been one of my favorite Redskins this season. Straight up steal on that trade.
__________________
doing it all in the spirit of the salary cap!
Swarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:40 PM   #11
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,456
Re: A Jabar Gaffney thread

You can tell he's really staring to enjoy being a Redskin too.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:59 PM   #12
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: A Jabar Gaffney thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
Gaffney, Hankerson, Moss. I can live with that.
I cant. There is not a single #1 receiver on that list. Hopefully we'll sign one in free agency. Add a #1 receiver and i'm happy with the other three.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:53 PM   #13
Special Teams
 
SkinItup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 155
Re: A Jabar Gaffney thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
I think Gaffney is just a solid number 2 in the NFL. people forget that he was the 4th receiver for NE when they went 18-1, and he was a solid guy with Denver as their number 3. Well this is what he can do as a number 2.


Our WR's next year Could/Should be:

1. FA WR Marques Colston or DeSean Jackson
2. Gaffney
3. Moss
4. Hankerson
5. Paul
6. Austin
We tried to get holmes last year. I'm sure they will be looking for another number one this year. DJax is a one trick pony and seems to be regressing. I think we go for VJax, Colston, Bowe, or Stevie Johnson. I think Vjax is the only one who leaves his current team.
SkinItup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:52 PM   #14
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: A Jabar Gaffney thread

I'll take Colston over Jackson any day of the week and twice on Sunday, but regardless we need to add talent at the WR position.

Gaffney isn't a spring chicken any longer which is certainly why his trade value was/is so low. How many good years does he have left?
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:01 PM   #15
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,456
Re: A Jabar Gaffney thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
I'll take Colston over Jackson any day of the week and twice on Sunday, but regardless we need to add talent at the WR position.

Gaffney isn't a spring chicken any longer which is certainly why his trade value was/is so low. How many good years does he have left?
Gaffney just turned 31 like three weeks ago, so I'd say he has plenty left in the tank. Not to make any direct comparisons, but Wes Welker is 30, Reggie Wayne is 33 and both are still lighting it up. Just saying.

Jabar is a tweener. Not really a number one, though he could put up those numbers in a good offense, and not a true position receiver, though I'd lean towards the latter. I think if add some talent at WR, good a decent QB, he could play well into his 30s.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.29769 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25