Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Roster transition in the Shanny era

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 05:50 PM   #46
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,993
Re: Roster transition in the Shanny era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Well at least we've moved on to players worth talking about.
Wait only veteran starters are worth talking about?

I suppose we could start discussing McNabb and Haynesworth. What are those two worth going forward?
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-04-2012, 05:54 PM   #47
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,584
Re: Roster transition in the Shanny era

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Are you asserting they did not?

Because their efforts to bring either of them back onto the 2011 team, well, failed.
Blamed is the not word I would use

**awaits 10 paragraph response**
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #48
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,993
Re: Roster transition in the Shanny era

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Blamed is the not word I would use

**awaits 10 paragraph response**
Let's try "soured" then.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #49
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,584
Re: Roster transition in the Shanny era

So we're not going to talk about how it was Andre Carter who went to the Redskins front office initially and said "no hard feelings but I don't think where you guys are headed and what I'm looking for mesh anymore" or that basically the whole league "soured" on Carlos Rogers' initial contract demands
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #50
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 8,983
Re: Roster transition in the Shanny era

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
So we're not going to talk about how it was Andre Carter who went to the Redskins front office initially and said "no hard feelings but I don't think where you guys are headed and what I'm looking for mesh anymore" or that basically the whole league "soured" on Carlos Rogers' initial contract demands
It seems the Skins Mgmt stated that he requested the trade to find a team more in line with his abilities......AND they honored it because he's a great dude that worked hard...Super Smart....Always fighting his guts out...etc
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
Win! Always win!
By fair means or foul, by soft words and hard deeds...
by treachery, by cunning, by malpractice...
but always win--Edward Teach
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #51
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,993
Re: Roster transition in the Shanny era

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
So we're not going to talk about how it was Andre Carter who went to the Redskins front office initially and said "no hard feelings but I don't think where you guys are headed and what I'm looking for mesh anymore" or that basically the whole league "soured" on Carlos Rogers' initial contract demands
Do you or do you not feel like we could have used those two guys on this years team?

I think I'm guilty of misrepresenting my own points at times. I do not think the Redskins have failed under Mike Shanahan because they granted Andre Carter his release instead of talking him into staying and making a fortune on his annual salary, and because they decided they could replace Carlos Rogers through free agency. We have more or less replaced the contribution of those "pro bowlers" with a first round pick and a free agent signing at corner. The issue, of course, is the lack of steady (2009-2012), clear improvement. But I think those are high-profile lapses in judgement/talent evaluation brought to light by the combination of the Redskins not being good and those guys (justifiably) being elected to the pro-bowl.

I wanted to talk more about how the Redskins struggle to evaluate talent, but oddly, no one seems to wants to argue against that point. Of course, whenever I talk about other symptomatic mistakes the Redskins make more consistently that maybe don't get as much publicity...well, why don't you go back through the thread and I can save you six paragraphs.

In short: people dismiss minor symptomatic moves as trival mistakes that no one should care about, and then they come up with individual justifications for moves that received a lot of publicity and were obviously wrong (McNabb). Then, based on some creative justifications, they arrive at the conclusion that the Redskins don't have an issue evaluating talent. For someone like me who doesn't need to eat food because I can sustain myself on a diet of haterade, well, logic and reasoning are much easier without the delusion.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

Last edited by GTripp0012; 01-04-2012 at 06:34 PM.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #52
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,993
Re: Roster transition in the Shanny era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
It seems the Skins Mgmt stated that he requested the trade to find a team more in line with his abilities......AND they honored it because he's a great dude that worked hard...Super Smart....Always fighting his guts out...etc
And, I mean, heck of a signing by the Patriots. It's too bad about his injury, it would have been fun to watch Andre Carter in the playoffs again.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:31 PM   #53
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 8,983
Re: Roster transition in the Shanny era

Kinda' makes me hungry for.....BBQ
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
Win! Always win!
By fair means or foul, by soft words and hard deeds...
by treachery, by cunning, by malpractice...
but always win--Edward Teach
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:48 PM   #54
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,584
Re: Roster transition in the Shanny era

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Do you or do you not feel like we could have used those two guys on this years team?

I think I'm guilty of misrepresenting my own points at times. I do not think the Redskins have failed under Mike Shanahan because they granted Andre Carter his release instead of talking him into staying and making a fortune on his annual salary, and because they decided they could replace Carlos Rogers through free agency. We have more or less replaced the contribution of those "pro bowlers" with a first round pick and a free agent signing at corner. The issue, of course, is the lack of steady (2009-2012), clear improvement. But I think those are high-profile lapses in judgement/talent evaluation brought to light by the combination of the Redskins not being good and those guys (justifiably) being elected to the pro-bowl.

I wanted to talk more about how the Redskins struggle to evaluate talent, but oddly, no one seems to wants to argue against that point. Of course, whenever I talk about other symptomatic mistakes the Redskins make more consistently that maybe don't get as much publicity...well, why don't you go back through the thread and I can save you six paragraphs.

In short: people dismiss minor symptomatic moves as trival mistakes that no one should care about, and then they come up with individual justifications for moves that received a lot of publicity and were obviously wrong (McNabb). Then, based on some creative justifications, they arrive at the conclusion that the Redskins don't have an issue evaluating talent. For someone like me who doesn't need to eat food because I can sustain myself on a diet of haterade, well, logic and reasoning are much easier without the delusion.
Rogers yes, Carter no
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:54 PM   #55
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,993
Re: Roster transition in the Shanny era

I think if Carter played all of Adam Carriker's snaps this year at the same position, plus played the edge in sub package pass rushing situations, I think he would have had a heck of a year for us. Then we would have been able to use an extra linebacker in the dime package for the interior rush and gotten even more pressure on quarterbacks in those long yardage. I think Carter absolutely would have helped, but they would have needed to come to an agreement on not trying to make him a 3-4 linebacker.

Then again, I'm not a proven defensive talent evaluator, so what the heck do I know?
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #56
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,426
Re: Roster transition in the Shanny era

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Wait only veteran starters are worth talking about?

I suppose we could start discussing McNabb and Haynesworth. What are those two worth going forward?
More so than dime a dozen roster fillers like Tryon and Williams, yes.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:00 PM   #57
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,245
Re: Roster transition in the Shanny era

yeah, carter and rogers would have been to have, but carter didn't fit, and i'm not sure he'd be a great 3-4 end with his size... he's one of those guys that loses body weight during the season from what i remember.

meanwhile, carriker wasn't wanted in STL and has been solid here. I really don't feel like responding about tryon or reinhart - they showed us nothing and tryon may not be in the league, and even if they are, there are about 1000 other guys that can do the same thing. they're NFL bodies, nothing special, and guys that generally aren't that important to your W/L record.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:15 PM   #58
Impact Rookie
 
Bushead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 763
Re: Roster transition in the Shanny era

Gtripp, I've read a lot of the posts you've had since the season ended and I'm just not quite sure I follow your vendetta. You seem completely against anything and everything Shanahan has done from free agents, drafting, playing certain players, play calling, time management, personnel.

I personally just don't get it. I'm not saying you are wrong or your opinion is not backed up, but can you succinctly tell me why you are so anti-Shanahan when it comes to almost everything?
Bushead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:16 PM   #59
Playmaker
 
Paintrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Age: 43
Posts: 4,908
Re: Roster transition in the Shanny era

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Do you or do you not feel like we could have used those two guys on this years team?

I think I'm guilty of misrepresenting my own points at times. I do not think the Redskins have failed under Mike Shanahan because they granted Andre Carter his release instead of talking him into staying and making a fortune on his annual salary, and because they decided they could replace Carlos Rogers through free agency. We have more or less replaced the contribution of those "pro bowlers" with a first round pick and a free agent signing at corner. The issue, of course, is the lack of steady (2009-2012), clear improvement. But I think those are high-profile lapses in judgement/talent evaluation brought to light by the combination of the Redskins not being good and those guys (justifiably) being elected to the pro-bowl.

I wanted to talk more about how the Redskins struggle to evaluate talent, but oddly, no one seems to wants to argue against that point. Of course, whenever I talk about other symptomatic mistakes the Redskins make more consistently that maybe don't get as much publicity...well, why don't you go back through the thread and I can save you six paragraphs.

In short: people dismiss minor symptomatic moves as trival mistakes that no one should care about, and then they come up with individual justifications for moves that received a lot of publicity and were obviously wrong (McNabb). Then, based on some creative justifications, they arrive at the conclusion that the Redskins don't have an issue evaluating talent.
For someone like me who doesn't need to eat food because I can sustain myself on a diet of haterade, well, logic and reasoning are much easier without the delusion.
So were T. Williams, Riley, Paulson, Bowen, Carriker, Cofield, Gaffney, Hightower, Kerrigan, Jenkins, Hankerson, Helu, Gomes and Royster examples of poor talent evaluation? Were the 52 players released and now out of the NFL examples of poor talent evaluation?

I guess I kinda feel like Col. Jessup in A Few Good Men.. Please tell me you have more than Rinehart, E. Williams and Justin Tryon.. Please tell me this is about more than Carter and Rogers.. We're talking about the future of our beloved franchise, please tell me you're basing your argument on something more than Stephon Heyer.. I'm going back to my base..

So again, for clarification, is the issue who is NOT here anymore or the fact that better players who replaced the 52 departed aren't better players. That I would agree is an issue but I'd offer that there's more at play than just 'poor' talent evaluation.
__________________
FREE RG3!
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:03 AM   #60
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Roster transition in the Shanny era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
It seems the Skins Mgmt stated that he requested the trade to find a team more in line with his abilities......AND they honored it because he's a great dude that worked hard...Super Smart....Always fighting his guts out...etc
Word. Pretty hard to find sh!t to complain about with AC...he's about as high-character as they come.
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31603 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25