Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


The "Inside Word" on the QB Search

Redskins Locker Room


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2012, 10:59 PM   #646
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,680
Re: The "Inside Word" on the QB Search

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Deezel View Post
Already? 0-0 for 0 yards, 0 TDs and 0 INTs. Let's get that HOF Bust ready
Took the words right out my mouth
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline  

Advertisements
Old 01-17-2012, 11:10 PM   #647
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Hoyer-Foles
Jack Daniels this early?

#Hail to the Redskins
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is online now  
Old 01-17-2012, 11:24 PM   #648
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
you know, someone on here recommended brandon weeden which I shot down, but if you think about it, I shouldn't, and nor should we, shoot down the possibility of getting him, regardless of his age, because he may enter the league as a 28 year old, but, Kurt Warner also did the same thing, and it's QB, a position where guys will play until their in that late 30's, early 40's. Vinny Testerverde played until he was like 46 or something.
For me it's not his age I just don't think he's that good, playing w a loaded offense and a conference with no d helped him a bunch, unlike Sam who proved he had all the tools

#Hail to the Redskins
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is online now  
Old 01-17-2012, 11:26 PM   #649
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 25
Posts: 12,090
Re: The "Inside Word" on the QB Search

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Deezel View Post
Already? 0-0 for 0 yards, 0 TDs and 0 INTs. Let's get that HOF Bust ready
0 INTs though.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline  
Old 01-17-2012, 11:54 PM   #650
Playmaker
 
Paintrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Age: 43
Posts: 4,920
Re: The "Inside Word" on the QB Search

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Well, if the Skins should sign Flynn as a FA then I'd like to see them trade down to the middle of the 1st Round.

If they were to trade down that far, they should be able to pick up a 2nd Round pick and a 4th Round pick. Then, I'd like to see them trade up (using one of their three 4th Round picks and lower picks) to get another 3rd Round pick. That would give them one 1st Round pick, two 2nd Round picks, two 3rd Round picks, and two 4th Round picks. They should be able to get a lot of talented players with 7 picks in the first four rounds.

Add that to a good FA group and the Skins should be much improved.
Here's the problem with the whole 'gather picks' idea. The reason it works for New England and Philly (except last year) is because they already have a core of highly talented players and can afford to use the shotgun approach to the draft and hope they hit on some good players with 10-12 picks. We need to hit on most of our picks or leverage some of them to get to the place where we have that talented core.

The mindset of gathering picks is akin to 'we need to draft more OL'. There are only 53 roster spots and 22 starters. Let's say for example we get another 12 picks and 11 of them make the team again. Let's also say that the holdovers from Shanny's 1st 2 classes stick around also. That's 25-26 of a 53 man roster with less than 3 years experience, including many late rounders. How good do you think that team will really be? That's also removing 10-11 players from this roster and that's not accounting for any free agent pickups.

Your scenario would seemingly reduce the number of overall players we pick up for a top heavy draft but again, put the controller down, it just doesn't happen that way in the real world.
__________________
Challenge Greatness! Be A Leader! Make A Difference!
Paintrain is offline  
Old 01-17-2012, 11:57 PM   #651
Impact Rookie
 
ethat001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 721
Re: The "Inside Word" on the QB Search

Interestingly, Jason Campbell was not great but at least he would have been cheap and wouldn't have cost us multiple draft picks and years of agony over McNabb, Rexy, and some guy named Beck. Bad choices come back to haunt you. But yes -- now we need a real QB.


My choices in order of preference:
1) Bradford (if this happens, would be ecstatic).
2) Luck (if Colts pass on him so Peyton and rookie get along better)
3) RG3 - I'm still skeptical on running QBs, but does seem smarter & accurate..
4) Flynn - one game wonder, sure, but he still looked better than Rex ever did.
5) Orton - doesn't seem to win, but his numbers always seem to look good
6) Hoyer - Wouldn't be excited about this, but rumors here say he's highly regarded


Bradford would be wonderful, because we could land a proven franchise QB. Our O-line and WR core sucks - but is probably better than the Rams. Think he would do well here. I've read Clausen's name thrown around, but wouldn't want him here - seems like a bust already.
ethat001 is offline  
Old 01-18-2012, 12:06 AM   #652
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: The "Inside Word" on the QB Search

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I feel like a lot of people have changed their opinion on the whole trade picks to get your QB idea. I don't remember such a groundswell of support for Cutler
Cutler? WTF? lol. No I don't think so. Picking up Cutler would remind me too much of Grossman2, Orton would be Grossman3. I'm sure stats will be thrown my way but why would we want another Chicago reject?

I'd actually rather trade draft picks for Brian Hoyer back up to Brady in NE, or Flynn. I think the team will try to make a run a Flynn especially if he's a FA (which I think he will be). Neither has played much and they are somewhat unknown compared to Cutler, but atleast they were sitting behind bonified QB's learning what it takes and how to play instead of being thrown on the field to learn by themselves which hasn't really done them a great service.
SBXVII is offline  
Old 01-18-2012, 12:16 AM   #653
Mr. Brightside
 
Big C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Age: 28
Posts: 4,439
Re: The "Inside Word" on the QB Search

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethat001 View Post
Interestingly, Jason Campbell was not great but at least he would have been cheap and wouldn't have cost us multiple draft picks and years of agony over McNabb, Rexy, and some guy named Beck. Bad choices come back to haunt you. But yes -- now we need a real QB.


My choices in order of preference:
1) Bradford (if this happens, would be ecstatic).
2) Luck (if Colts pass on him so Peyton and rookie get along better)
3) RG3 - I'm still skeptical on running QBs, but does seem smarter & accurate..
4) Flynn - one game wonder, sure, but he still looked better than Rex ever did.
5) Orton - doesn't seem to win, but his numbers always seem to look good
6) Hoyer - Wouldn't be excited about this, but rumors here say he's highly regarded


Bradford would be wonderful, because we could land a proven franchise QB. Our O-line and WR core sucks - but is probably better than the Rams. Think he would do well here. I've read Clausen's name thrown around, but wouldn't want him here - seems like a bust already.
id be happy with bradford, but i wouldnt say hes a "proven franchise QB". hes far from proven. he had a decent rookie season and was injured much of this season. all that he has proven is that he can be decent with a shitty team. he has great potential though.
__________________
"I don't care what nobody say I'm a be me, stay hood stay real, cause I'm out here grindin'" -Joe Gibbs
Big C is offline  
Old 01-18-2012, 12:21 AM   #654
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: The "Inside Word" on the QB Search

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba305-ST21- View Post
When did I ever say i think MS may lose his job? I believe in him and I think he knows what he is doing, I just want a good cornerstone qb.
No you didn't but the RGIII crowd in general. Basically these were comments being made recently by many different people who feel the Skins "must" do whatever it takes to get RGIII. I'm just lumping you in with the other RGIII fans. Sorry.

You know whats funny? throughout the season fans were clammering about Luck and how the Skins needed to do whatever it took to get him. I wanted Barkley. Then when the Colts were on the "Suck for Luck" campaign and we realized Luck was out of our reach, fans jumped on the Barkley bandwagon, and I said we would end up with RGIII who might be better. Now that Barkley is off the board and RGIII has moved up fans are in sorta a shark frenzi about RGIII and how we "have" to get him or else. I'm kinda turned off of RGIII due to the frenzi.
SBXVII is offline  
Old 01-18-2012, 12:25 AM   #655
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 25
Posts: 12,090
Re: The "Inside Word" on the QB Search

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Cutler? WTF? lol. No I don't think so. Picking up Cutler would remind me too much of Grossman2, Orton would be Grossman3. I'm sure stats will be thrown my way but why would we want another Chicago reject?

I'd actually rather trade draft picks for Brian Hoyer back up to Brady in NE, or Flynn. I think the team will try to make a run a Flynn especially if he's a FA (which I think he will be). Neither has played much and they are somewhat unknown compared to Cutler, but atleast they were sitting behind bonified QB's learning what it takes and how to play instead of being thrown on the field to learn by themselves which hasn't really done them a great service.
A) When did he say Cutler was coming here now? That was from 2 years ago and B) Don't insult Cutler by calling him Grossman2
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline  
Old 01-18-2012, 12:32 AM   #656
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: The "Inside Word" on the QB Search

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
you know, someone on here recommended brandon weeden which I shot down, but if you think about it, I shouldn't, and nor should we, shoot down the possibility of getting him, regardless of his age, because he may enter the league as a 28 year old, but, Kurt Warner also did the same thing, and it's QB, a position where guys will play until their in that late 30's, early 40's. Vinny Testerverde played until he was like 46 or something.
I was the one who asked about him simply because he looked good in the bowl game against none other then Luck.

I could be totally wrong but I see yes an older QB but I also see a more mature, safer with the ball, knoweledgable QB. I think the older people get the better decisions they make, the question is can their bodies hold up to their decision making. lol. The good news is Weeden has not been beaten up in the NFL yet at 28. I wouldn't have a problem with Flynn and Weeden as our QB's next year and possibly a UDFA to compete for the PS spot with Crompton.
SBXVII is offline  
Old 01-18-2012, 12:37 AM   #657
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: The "Inside Word" on the QB Search

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
Here's the problem with the whole 'gather picks' idea. The reason it works for New England and Philly (except last year) is because they already have a core of highly talented players and can afford to use the shotgun approach to the draft and hope they hit on some good players with 10-12 picks. We need to hit on most of our picks or leverage some of them to get to the place where we have that talented core.

The mindset of gathering picks is akin to 'we need to draft more OL'. There are only 53 roster spots and 22 starters. Let's say for example we get another 12 picks and 11 of them make the team again. Let's also say that the holdovers from Shanny's 1st 2 classes stick around also. That's 25-26 of a 53 man roster with less than 3 years experience, including many late rounders. How good do you think that team will really be? That's also removing 10-11 players from this roster and that's not accounting for any free agent pickups.

Your scenario would seemingly reduce the number of overall players we pick up for a top heavy draft but again, put the controller down, it just doesn't happen that way in the real world.

Dang, people complain about the team being too old, now they complain the team is too young. There really is no pleasing anyone. I don't know about Philli but NE used that theory from the beginning. They got younger, faster, and healthier in a short period of time. It was after they had their team somewhat built that Darth Hoodie would pick up maybe 1 or 2 FA's he felt still had something in them.
SBXVII is offline  
Old 01-18-2012, 12:54 AM   #658
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: The "Inside Word" on the QB Search

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
A) When did he say Cutler was coming here now? That was from 2 years ago and B) Don't insult Cutler by calling him Grossman2
Smoots comment might have been refering to two yrs ago, but recently Cutlers name came up yet again on this site. Something about the coaching staff supposedly wanting him two yrs ago and might still want him and try for him again.

and to be honest... I don't see much difference between the two. Insult or not he's not that much better in my book which is why he was traded away. For me Grossman, Orton, and Cutler all having played for the Bears and having been benched, traded, or whatever are all pretty much the same. I'd rather we pass and go for some other teams QB's.
SBXVII is offline  
Old 01-18-2012, 01:13 AM   #659
Impact Rookie
 
sdskinsfan2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Age: 31
Posts: 860
Re: The "Inside Word" on the QB Search

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
Cousins wasn't a bad QB in college. He's not RG3, Andrew Luck, Matt Barkley or Landry Jones, but he was fairly consistent. When most people view Cousins as a quarterback, they see him as a developmental prospect. In his senior year at Michigan State, he throw completed 267 of of 419 for 331 with a completion percentage of 63.7 with 25 TDs 10 INTs ending with a 145.1 QB rating.

His numbers in college actually wasn't bad at all. He's exactly what Colt McCoy was in his final year at Texas. But Cousins would be anywhere from a 3rd to a 5th round selection.
He has a good arm, good mobility, and is a great leader. Went 22-5 the last 2 seasons, he wins! I like him a lot if we could get him with our 2nd round pick. I love RGIII but I don't want to trade the farm for him, when we have plenty of other players in this draft that can help us at O-line, CB, Safety, ILB, WR., etc.

*If Shanny/Allen do decide to trade for RGIII, I will be on board with it, and all in. Just wouldnt be my 1st choice. If Cleveland doesn't draft him I will chug a record amount of beers.

Last edited by sdskinsfan2001; 01-18-2012 at 01:15 AM.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline  
Old 01-18-2012, 07:50 AM   #660
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,832
Re: The "Inside Word" on the QB Search

Cutler and Grossman shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.35544 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25