Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Around The NFL - Divisional Round

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #31
Playmaker
 
sportscurmudgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,159
Re: Around The NFL - Divisional Round

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
I am always higly amused at the general opinion of many fan bases of their idiot, know nothing, etc....owners. I'm thinking...you do know this dude is a self-made Billionaire? He may actually know a thing or two....
Believe me, I will be the first to acknowledge that the folks who own NFL teams are intelligent people who know an awful lot about the business world - - plenty more than a thing or two.

I do draw a distinction between "being smart and knowledgeable" and "knowing football" in the sense that the very rich owner can actually sit down and discuss "football" with his head coach or his assistants. The majority of NFL owners cannot do that without a lot of tolerance on the part of the coaches involved.

The only two owners in the NFL that I can think of who played football at the elite college level or at the pro level are Jerry Jones and Jerry Richardson.
__________________
The Sports Curmudgeon
www.sportscurmudgeon.com
But don't get me wrong, I love sports...
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-10-2012, 07:07 PM   #32
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,187
Re: Around The NFL - Divisional Round

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
You do know that Jerry Jones was the captain of the Arkansas football team that won the National Championship back in the 60s, right? Oh, and Jimmy Johnson was his teammate - - and I think they were fraternity brothers also - - at Arkansas.

He did indeed run an oil service business; that is where he made the money it took to buy the Cowboys. But Jones did play the game at a fairly high level.

Ok, so he played football some 40 years ago. What type of scouting or football operations did he run after those 40 years while he was running a oil surveying company? What type of coaching experience does he have to make personnel decisions or understand which players are going to fit which schemes? What type of film/scouting experience makes him qualified to say who's better than another?

Him playing college football on a national championship team back in the 60's doesn't mean jack squat, and doesn't do anything to back up your argument he does in fact know football.

Just because a person was successful in one area of their life, doesn't mean they are going to be successful in another area. Dan Snyder was awesome at the phone slamming business, but he sucks as a NFL owner. (or has in the past decade)

The only years Jerry has been successful, are the years that Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells (and their talent) were there. That is no coincidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
I am always highly amused at the general opinion of many fan bases of their idiot, know nothing, etc....owners. I'm thinking...you do know this dude is a self-made Billionaire? He may actually know a thing or two....
See above. Success in one area doesn't mean success in another.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #33
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,187
Re: Around The NFL - Divisional Round

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
The only two owners in the NFL that I can think of who played football at the elite college level or at the pro level are Jerry Jones and Jerry Richardson.
You need to add Mike Brown to that list. He is the son of the great Paul Brown after all, and no doubt has had his share of football knowledge passed on to him.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #34
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,456
Re: Around The NFL - Divisional Round

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Ok, so he played football some 40 years ago. What type of scouting or football operations did he run after those 40 years while he was running a oil surveying company? What type of coaching experience does he have to make personnel decisions or understand which players are going to fit which schemes? What type of film/scouting experience makes him qualified to say who's better than another?

Him playing college football on a national championship team back in the 60's doesn't mean jack squat, and doesn't do anything to back up your argument he does in fact know football.

Just because a person was successful in one area of their life, doesn't mean they are going to be successful in another area. Dan Snyder was awesome at the phone slamming business, but he sucks as a NFL owner. (or has in the past decade)

The only years Jerry has been successful, are the years that Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells (and their talent) were there. That is no coincidence.



See above. Success in one area doesn't mean success in another.
No it does not, BUT when you are a self made Billionaire (like many of his counterparts) it does mean you know a thing or two about success...and plenty of it. To amass that kind of loot does require a certain ability to succeed above all else....improvise....adapt....overcome
AND fans get so little real information it is completely irresponsible to judge him on what little we see or....think we know.
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
“God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.” – Joe Gibbs
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:38 AM   #35
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,237
Re: Around The NFL - Divisional Round

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
I am always highly amused at the general opinion of many fan bases of their idiot, know nothing, etc....owners. I'm thinking...you do know this dude is a self-made Billionaire? He may actually know a thing or two....


Like what?Dan Snyder failed and lost everything more then once before he hit it big.In JJ case just becuase you know Oil does'nt mean you know football.
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:52 AM   #36
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,456
Re: Around The NFL - Divisional Round

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Like what?Dan Snyder failed and lost everything more then once before he hit it big.In JJ case just becuase you know Oil does'nt mean you know football.
No....but it does mean you know success and how to build it in everything you do. Do you deny his success in the NFL? If I had to make a choice who gets the nod in a....football discussion between JJ and the avg fan, such as yourself.
Based on spelling and punctuation alone, JJ wins is by a landslide......
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
“God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.” – Joe Gibbs
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #37
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,731
Re: Around The NFL - Divisional Round

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Walton View Post
I cant believe that Houston has gotten this far with the QB staff that they have.
They have been playing on borrowed time.
I think Baltimore's defense will put the hurt on them.
Kind of shows that when you have a solid team the QB doesnt need to be superman, just do the basic things and not turn the ball over.

NE destroys Den
Balt over Hou
NYG over GB
NO over SF.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:53 AM   #38
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,187
Re: Around The NFL - Divisional Round

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
No....but it does mean you know success and how to build it in everything you do. Do you deny his success in the NFL? If I had to make a choice who gets the nod in a....football discussion between JJ and the avg fan, such as yourself.
Based on spelling and punctuation alone, JJ wins is by a landslide......


It really doesn't and no idea why you even remotely think that.(see Dan Snyder's other business ventures for proof) There is a lot of luck involved with making it big as well, but keep telling yourself it's simply a smart person knowing how to succeed.

JJ should know more by now. He's had 20 years to be around coaches, game film and much much more. That said, he's still never coached and his last playing experience was over 40 years ago (much has changed). How's he going to know good footwork from bad footwork when it comes to OL/QB? How's he going to know if a WR runs a proper route? These are things you learn while you coach (and play).
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty

Last edited by NC_Skins; 01-11-2012 at 10:10 AM.
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #39
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,187
Re: Around The NFL - Divisional Round

NFL referee Tony Corrente is fighting a brave battle with cancer | Shutdown Corner - Yahoo! Sports

Good story.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:29 AM   #40
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,187
Re: Around The NFL - Divisional Round

The NY Jets are a hot mess right now.

NY Jets players bash Mark Sanchez, say they want Peyton Manning and GM Mike Tannenbaum should trade young quarterback away - NY Daily News


Quote:
“We have to bring in another quarterback that will make him work at practice,” said one player. “He’s lazy and content because he knows he’s not going to be benched.”
Quote:
A Jets spokesman declined to make Sanchez available for this story. A source close to the team pointed out that Sanchez’s inability to handle mounting criticism prompted him to unfollow every Jets beat writer on Twitter earlier this season.
Quote:
“They see the organization babying him,” said a Jets source. “They see him with a sense of entitlement. He’s been given all this and hasn’t done anything. They call him ‘San-chise.’ They make him the face of the organization. They gave him the captain tag. He’s not a captain. He should have never been a captain.”

None of the players who spoke to the Daily News for this story agreed with Ryan’s decision to anoint Sanchez as a captain.

No thanks to trading for this guy. Nothing worse than a QB with a bad work ethic and shaky confidence.


Also, seems Rex Ryan doesn't know how to spot leaders or award the correct people with captains. I suppose he's basing it off salaries.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty

Last edited by NC_Skins; 01-11-2012 at 10:35 AM.
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:35 AM   #41
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,962
Re: Around The NFL - Divisional Round

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
The NY Jets are a hot mess right now.

NY Jets players bash Mark Sanchez, say they want Peyton Manning and GM Mike Tannenbaum should trade young quarterback away - NY Daily News





No thanks to trading for this guy. Nothing worse than a QB with a bad work ethic.
From what I'd heard, his work ethics definitely took a serious step back this season. I don't really know why that is. Because for the past two years it wasn't like that at all. But this year, there were stretches when he did the minimum. He needs a threat behind him at QB. That's not Brunell
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #42
The Starter
 
mbedner3420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,842
Re: Around The NFL - Divisional Round

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
From what I'd heard, his work ethics definitely took a serious step back this season. I don't really know why that is. Because for the past two years it wasn't like that at all. But this year, there were stretches when he did the minimum. He needs a threat behind him at QB. That's not Brunell
All that talk about trading for Sanchez has gone by the wayside at this point right? Because it looks like everything else from that scenario may fall into place.
mbedner3420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:43 AM   #43
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,962
Re: Around The NFL - Divisional Round

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbedner3420 View Post
All that talk about trading for Sanchez has gone by the wayside at this point right? Because it looks like everything else from that scenario may fall into place.
It's been quiet lately
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:25 AM   #44
Playmaker
 
SkinzWin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 2,725
Re: Around The NFL - Divisional Round

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
It's been quiet lately
Make it go away. I feel like making a move for Sanchez could be the #1 step backwards for us this offseason. Must avoid at all costs.
__________________
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Draft winners, not stars.

Hail to the Redskins
Hail victory
Braves on the warpath
Block for RG3
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:41 AM   #45
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,339
No thanks to Sanchez again he sucks and is basically Rex grossman
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.47553 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25