Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Samuels Update

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2005, 01:05 AM   #1
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,776
Samuels Update

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...len&id=1977710

Washington Redskins officials are determined to improve the team's offensive line play in 2005 and are looking to upgrade at the center spot. But the Redskins might also need a new left tackle in another month or so. ESPN.com has confirmed that Jimmy Sexton, the agent for tackle Chris Samuels, huddled with Washington owner Dan Snyder this week to discuss the burdensome contract of the five-year veteran and former first-round draft pick. The Redskins would prefer that Samuels sign an extension, as fellow 2000 first-rounder LaVar Arrington did toward the end of the 2003 season, to lower his salary cap charge. Samuels has demonstrated in the past that he is willing to aid the Redskins' salary cap plight but might not be as inclined to rework his deal for a third time. If he doesn't, though, he could be released. Both sides will have to think long and hard about the ramifications of such a move. Washington would have to find a left tackle -- no small feat, even with Walter Jones of Seattle rumored to be headed to free agency, after three seasons playing under the "franchise" tag -- and that would be an expensive proposition. For his part, Samuels, who played better in 2004 after a couple of subpar and injury-marred campaigns, has to be certain there is a market for him if he forces Snyder's hand.
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-29-2005, 04:26 AM   #2
Special Teams
 
Shane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 277
I think Chris Samuels will rework his contract. He is an excellent player when working in a non-Spurrier system. I'm confident that Samuels will see that the Redskins have paid him very fairly and that it's untenable for him to refuse to rework his contract. He appreciates playing with Joe Bugel, his career and self-confidence are rejuvenated and the Redskins are building something special here which I think he will want to be a part of.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 10:28 AM   #3
The Starter
 
GoSkins!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Yorktown, Va
Age: 45
Posts: 1,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
Jimmy Sexton, the agent for tackle Chris Samuels, huddled with Washington owner Dan Snyder this week to discuss the burdensome contract of the five-year veteran and former first-round draft pick. The Redskins would prefer that Samuels sign an extension, as fellow 2000 first-rounder LaVar Arrington did toward the end of the 2003 season
Sounds like they are getting things worked out. It rang a bell with me that they mentioned Lavar in there. Made me think that even if something was agreed upon last week, Sexton will spend all the time he needs to look over every detail of the paperwork after all the Lavar Arrington contract issues.

Hope to hear something good on Samuals, Pierce, and Smoot soon...
__________________
Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts. A. Einstien
GoSkins! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 03:22 PM   #4
Pro Bowl
 
SKINSnCANES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: New Jersey
Age: 32
Posts: 5,421
i hope he signs an extension. people with his physical attributes dont come around everyyear. we've got great coaches, we definitly should keep him and sign him to a long term, cap friendly deal
__________________
"I'm used to winning, coming from the University of Miami. " Clinton Portis
SKINSnCANES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 06:40 AM   #5
The Starter
 
RedskinPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Camino,Ca
Posts: 1,174
So who is better???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...len&id=1977710

Washington Redskins officials are determined to improve the team's offensive line play in 2005 and are looking to upgrade at the center spot. But the Redskins might also need a new left tackle in another month or so. ESPN.com has confirmed that Jimmy Sexton, the agent for tackle Chris Samuels, huddled with Washington owner Dan Snyder this week to discuss the burdensome contract of the five-year veteran and former first-round draft pick. The Redskins would prefer that Samuels sign an extension, as fellow 2000 first-rounder LaVar Arrington did toward the end of the 2003 season, to lower his salary cap charge. Samuels has demonstrated in the past that he is willing to aid the Redskins' salary cap plight but might not be as inclined to rework his deal for a third time. If he doesn't, though, he could be released. Both sides will have to think long and hard about the ramifications of such a move. Washington would have to find a left tackle -- no small feat, even with Walter Jones of Seattle rumored to be headed to free agency, after three seasons playing under the "franchise" tag -- and that would be an expensive proposition. For his part, Samuels, who played better in 2004 after a couple of subpar and injury-marred campaigns, has to be certain there is a market for him if he forces Snyder's hand.
For the people in the know who is better right now....Walter Jones or Chris Samuels?
RedskinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 11:18 AM   #6
Playmaker
 
skinsfanthru&thru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 34
Posts: 3,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinPete
For the people in the know who is better right now....Walter Jones or Chris Samuels?
I'd take Jones and releasing samuels and signing jones couldn't be nearly as expensive as keeping samuels with his current contract next year.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 12:15 PM   #7
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,776
Jones will be looking for a big contract, our best case scenario is to restructure Samuels.
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 12:15 PM   #8
Playmaker
 
sportscurmudgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,159
Right now and for the next year or two, Walter Jones is a significant upgrade over Chris Samuels. Jones is an elite OL; Samuels is above average.

The reason Samuels might be your OT of choice is that he has - absent injury - a long future in the NFL. Jones has a long career in the NFL and a much shorter future.
__________________
The Sports Curmudgeon
www.sportscurmudgeon.com
But don't get me wrong, I love sports...
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 01:31 PM   #9
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,524
And the reason why we're restructuring Samuel's contract in the first place is to free up some cap space....otherwise they wouldn't need to touch his contract at all....
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 01:56 PM   #10
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,776
I really would like to see Samuels stay and continue to work with Bugel. I think Buges has him on the right road.
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 09:46 PM   #11
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 32
Posts: 17,524
I agree. With Jansen back and some more work with Bugel, they could be a great tackle duo.
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 09:56 AM   #12
Puppy Kicker
 
Daseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Age: 31
Posts: 8,220
Let's not forget Samuels had a very solid season and was injured all year!
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 10:10 AM   #13
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 32
Posts: 17,524
We'll see how much passion and team-spirit he has if he restructures to help the team out.
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 02:49 PM   #14
F the Shannys

 
CrazyCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,881
I'd like to know what's taking so long. We've been discussing this Samuels thing for years now. How long can these 2 sides negotiate?

I'd like to have Samuels back with a restructure, but these delays don't seem to bode well for a new deal IMO.
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 01:40 AM   #15
Pro Bowl
 
SKINSnCANES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: New Jersey
Age: 32
Posts: 5,421
Samuels was tired of reworkign his contract all the time. He wanted to earn some of the money that he had a right to for a change. Which is fair. he also said after this year he would sign an extension to help the team. Well, the year is up, lets see what happens. Somethign will definitly happen thats for sure.
__________________
"I'm used to winning, coming from the University of Miami. " Clinton Portis
SKINSnCANES is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.28994 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25