Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


I See QB Rumors (2012 QB Thread: The Sixth Sense)

Redskins Locker Room


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack (7) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 09:22 PM   #316
Camp Scrub
 
Higskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Metro area
Posts: 74
Re: I See QB Rumors (2012 QB Thread: The Sixth Sense)

I know that Chris Russell has been pushing this issue hard lately, and there's been conflicting reports, but I'm beginning to think there's something to it.

Redskins | Very interested in Matt Flynn? - NFL Hot off the Wire

The Washington Redskins might target free-agent QB Matt Flynn (Packers) when free agency opens in mid-March. The Redskins are "very interested" in Flynn, according to one source within the organization. Offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan and head coach Mike Shanahan had a detailed conversation about Flynn's Week 17 performance against the Detroit Lions in which he tossed six touchdown passes.
__________________
The future is now ~ George Allen

Last edited by Higskin; 01-30-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Higskin is offline  

Advertisements
Old 01-30-2012, 09:23 PM   #317
Playmaker
 
sportscurmudgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,159
Re: I See QB Rumors (2012 QB Thread: The Sixth Sense)

Back from Chicago - - on a trip with "The Client From Hell"... Pardon me while I exhale for a moment.

The three way trade I have been hearing about for the last two weeks or so which involves the Skins/Rams/Vikes is definitely on the back burner at the moment because the Vikes supposedly want two players - - potential starters - - and not as many lower round picks.

There is a ton of time to negotiate all of this because the draft is not going to happen for the next twelve weeks; but at the moment, this one is "not happening". Stay tuned because this could be the "hot topic" starting again tomorrow at noon. That is the essence of the NFL off-season.

For the record, there is a huge difference between when a trade can be announced officially and when a trade becomes so widely known that the fact that it has been consummated can no longer be denied. Sort of like some free-agent signings that happen immediately after the signing window opens... Amazingly, those teams and the agents for those FAs figure out all the details in about 32 minutes flat.

However, as of this moment, decrease the probability that the Skins get Bradford and give up Orakpo plus picks as their end of the deal.
__________________
The Sports Curmudgeon
www.sportscurmudgeon.com
But don't get me wrong, I love sports...
sportscurmudgeon is offline  
Old 01-30-2012, 09:46 PM   #318
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: I See QB Rumors (2012 QB Thread: The Sixth Sense)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
Back from Chicago - - on a trip with "The Client From Hell"... Pardon me while I exhale for a moment.

The three way trade I have been hearing about for the last two weeks or so which involves the Skins/Rams/Vikes is definitely on the back burner at the moment because the Vikes supposedly want two players - - potential starters - - and not as many lower round picks.

There is a ton of time to negotiate all of this because the draft is not going to happen for the next twelve weeks; but at the moment, this one is "not happening". Stay tuned because this could be the "hot topic" starting again tomorrow at noon. That is the essence of the NFL off-season.

For the record, there is a huge difference between when a trade can be announced officially and when a trade becomes so widely known that the fact that it has been consummated can no longer be denied. Sort of like some free-agent signings that happen immediately after the signing window opens... Amazingly, those teams and the agents for those FAs figure out all the details in about 32 minutes flat.

However, as of this moment, decrease the probability that the Skins get Bradford and give up Orakpo plus picks as their end of the deal.
Interesting. I think most of us here would say Orakpo going to them and back into a 4-3 defense makes the Rams better. I don't know that Bradford coming here makes the Skins a ton better. I would think the Rams should be offering the Skins draft picks included in the trade to sweeten the lot vs the Skins tossing in draft picks to sweeten the pot.

Who knows maybe Bradford turns out to be the next Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Breeze. I just don't see it but if that's the plan I hope it works out.
SBXVII is offline  
Old 01-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #319
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 11,017
Re: I See QB Rumors (2012 QB Thread: The Sixth Sense)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
If Tannehill is drafted at 6 by us I am going to drink and cry myself to sleep.
Tannehill not ready to be a QB in this league. Sorry he just isnt.

We draft him a 6th to sit the bench I guess. Might as well start a thread of who replaces Shanny after this year if Tannehill is the starter outta camp, double digits loses will be close behind.
__________________
@RSherman_25 just make sure you stay in Seattle cause without that pass rush you are who we thought you were. 5th rd PK no speed good hands

DeAngelo Hall (@DeAngeloHall23) March 14, 2014
Chico23231 is offline  
Old 01-30-2012, 10:18 PM   #320
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Tannehill not ready to be a QB in this league. Sorry he just isnt.

We draft him a 6th to sit the bench I guess. Might as well start a thread of who replaces Shanny after this year if Tannehill is the starter outta camp, double digits loses will be close behind.
I'm with you, I have watched him play and saw him live here and he looked avg at best.. he has some upside but not the 6th pick worthy
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline  
Old 01-30-2012, 10:21 PM   #321
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,587
Re: I See QB Rumors (2012 QB Thread: The Sixth Sense)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higskin View Post
I know that Chris Russell has been pushing this issue hard lately, and there's been conflicting reports, but I'm beginning to think there's something to it.

Redskins | Very interested in Matt Flynn? - NFL Hot off the Wire

The Washington Redskins might target free-agent QB Matt Flynn (Packers) when free agency opens in mid-March. The Redskins are "very interested" in Flynn, according to one source within the organization. Offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan and head coach Mike Shanahan had a detailed conversation about Flynn's Week 17 performance against the Detroit Lions in which he tossed six touchdown passes.
Until someone other than Chris Russell says it, I'm going to stick with they are not interested
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline  
Old 01-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #322
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Until someone other than Chris Russell says it, I'm going to stick with they are not interested
I just have a good feeling he'll be in Miami
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline  
Old 01-30-2012, 10:25 PM   #323
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by los panda View Post
has there ever been a more physically gifted wr than calvin johnson?
Yeah um TO
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline  
Old 01-30-2012, 10:44 PM   #324
Playmaker
 
sportscurmudgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,159
Re: I See QB Rumors (2012 QB Thread: The Sixth Sense)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Interesting. I think most of us here would say Orakpo going to them and back into a 4-3 defense makes the Rams better. I don't know that Bradford coming here makes the Skins a ton better. I would think the Rams should be offering the Skins draft picks included in the trade to sweeten the lot vs the Skins tossing in draft picks to sweeten the pot.

Who knows maybe Bradford turns out to be the next Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Breeze. I just don't see it but if that's the plan I hope it works out.
My rumor mill scenario had Orakpo going to the Vikes not the Rams.

The reality is that most of the NFL execs know that the Skins covet a new QB who can actually play. Therefore, no matter what any of us may think about the greatness of any Redskins roster player at the moment, the fact is that if the Skins are trying to acquire a QB - - player or draft pick - - the Skins are going to have to "pay up" to get him. Execs around the league know for sure that the Shanahans are not going to go into the 2012 season with Grossman, Beck and "some guy who led a Division III team to the playoffs" as their QB tandem.

The reality is that the teams holding the QB or the draft pick that the Skins think they want/need are in the driver's seat as of now.

But that could change dramatically once the free-agency period starts if the Skins sign a viable free-agent. The guy they might sign need not be Drew Brees or anyone of that caliber just so it is a guy that folks can believe is the team's focus as the starting QB. That alone would change the price tag on a trade for a draft pick...
__________________
The Sports Curmudgeon
www.sportscurmudgeon.com
But don't get me wrong, I love sports...
sportscurmudgeon is offline  
Old 01-30-2012, 10:51 PM   #325
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,587
Re: I See QB Rumors (2012 QB Thread: The Sixth Sense)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
My rumor mill scenario had Orakpo going to the Vikes not the Rams.

The reality is that most of the NFL execs know that the Skins covet a new QB who can actually play. Therefore, no matter what any of us may think about the greatness of any Redskins roster player at the moment, the fact is that if the Skins are trying to acquire a QB - - player or draft pick - - the Skins are going to have to "pay up" to get him. Execs around the league know for sure that the Shanahans are not going to go into the 2012 season with Grossman, Beck and "some guy who led a Division III team to the playoffs" as their QB tandem.

The reality is that the teams holding the QB or the draft pick that the Skins think they want/need are in the driver's seat as of now.

But that could change dramatically once the free-agency period starts if the Skins sign a viable free-agent. The guy they might sign need not be Drew Brees or anyone of that caliber just so it is a guy that folks can believe is the team's focus as the starting QB. That alone would change the price tag on a trade for a draft pick...
'Twas my scenario that had Orakpo in St. Louis.

It still doesn't entirely make sense to me, and I know we discussed this, why the Vikings were in this in the first place. Do they really need to go through Minnesota for the 1st or 2nd pick or Bradford?

But to your point, they need to sign a FA QB just so we're not "desperate" come end of April.

I'm torn on who that FA QB should be though
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline  
Old 01-30-2012, 10:58 PM   #326
Playmaker
 
sportscurmudgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,159
Re: I See QB Rumors (2012 QB Thread: The Sixth Sense)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
'Twas my scenario that had Orakpo in St. Louis.

It still doesn't entirely make sense to me, and I know we discussed this, why the Vikings were in this in the first place. Do they really need to go through Minnesota for the 1st or 2nd pick or Bradford?

But to your point, they need to sign a FA QB just so we're not "desperate" come end of April.

I'm torn on who that FA QB should be though
True 'dat.

And I told you originally that I did not see why Orakpo to the Vikings was a great idea from the Vikings' standpoint...

Nonetheless, the word as of late this afternoon is that this deal has cooled down.

And you are absolutely correct about the need to sign a credible FA at QB prior to the draft just so the 5 teams ahead of the Skins cannot effect highway robbery just to allow a team that is desperate for a QB to move up a few spots in the draft.

My favorite of the FAs at QB would be Orton. I think he will get more than a bit of attention but he would be my pick if there were no other constraints on the selection.
__________________
The Sports Curmudgeon
www.sportscurmudgeon.com
But don't get me wrong, I love sports...
sportscurmudgeon is offline  
Old 01-30-2012, 11:00 PM   #327
Playmaker
 
los panda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: los angeles, ca
Age: 29
Posts: 4,051
Re: I See QB Rumors (2012 QB Thread: The Sixth Sense)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Yeah um TO
i just don't remember him winning as many jump balls as moss or calvin johnson
__________________
7 9 21 28 33 42 43 44 49 65 70 81
los panda is offline  
Old 01-30-2012, 11:20 PM   #328
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,587
Re: I See QB Rumors (2012 QB Thread: The Sixth Sense)

Shame to see what's happening, potentially, with Peyton Manning's career. I know Irsay was hoping he could play one more year and retire at least on his own terms. But that's looking, unfortunately, like less and less of a possibility
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline  
Old 01-30-2012, 11:31 PM   #329
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,587
Re: I See QB Rumors (2012 QB Thread: The Sixth Sense)

That said though, I don't see him retiring right away. Might as well wait through the spring and summer to see how he recovers...if he recover
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline  
Old 01-30-2012, 11:39 PM   #330
Playmaker
 
los panda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: los angeles, ca
Age: 29
Posts: 4,051
Re: I See QB Rumors (2012 QB Thread: The Sixth Sense)

it is a shame, but at least he won a ring
__________________
7 9 21 28 33 42 43 44 49 65 70 81
los panda is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.40304 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25