Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


2012 Free Agency Wish List

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack (2) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 04:16 PM   #136
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: 2012 Free Agency Wish List

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
It's hard to look at Landry on the coaches' tape and not think that he's going to be a star at some point. With that said, the only way to correctly value him is to treat him as damaged goods at this point.

The franchise tag in this case seems like a total no-brainer. I'll understand if the tag gets put on Fred Davis instead, but I guess I don't even see the reasoning for letting Landry go star elsewhere (provided health) instead of putting the franchise tag here and make him get his act together. If you are Landry, you look around and see the success that others have had after leaving Washington...well of course you want out. But the Redskins need to begin doing what is best for the Redskins.
Landry's talent was never in question. He's a total knucklehead, though. He just ignored the recommendation of a renowned surgeon and refused surgery on that achilles tendon... the same thing he did last offseason, and we all see how that worked. I guess the franchise tag wouldn't be terrible to use on him since there's no long term issue.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-31-2012, 04:16 PM   #137
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,811
Re: 2012 Free Agency Wish List

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
It's hard to look at Landry on the coaches' tape and not think that he's going to be a star at some point. With that said, the only way to correctly value him is to treat him as damaged goods at this point.

The franchise tag in this case seems like a total no-brainer. I'll understand if the tag gets put on Fred Davis instead, but I guess I don't even see the reasoning for letting Landry go star elsewhere (provided health) instead of putting the franchise tag here and make him get his act together. If you are Landry, you look around and see the success that others have had after leaving Washington...well of course you want out. But the Redskins need to begin doing what is best for the Redskins.
I say tag Davis and let Landry test the market. Landry is going into his 6th year and has really played dominant ball for half a season. I just don't think the guy is a student of the game. He doesn't work at his craft so to me he's never going to truly reach his potential.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:23 PM   #138
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: 2012 Free Agency Wish List

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I say tag Davis and let Landry test the market. Landry is going into his 6th year and has really played dominant ball for half a season. I just don't think the guy is a student of the game. He doesn't work at his craft so to me he's never going to truly reach his potential.
Which, yeah, that's fine with me.

You don't have much of a defense without an effective Landry (though I would argue that Landry was easily our best safety last year, even considering that he played a half-season at 80%), and letting him walk for the $6 million of salary cap room he frees up sure seems like a gamble that we're going to get it done on offense this year. The head coach is an offensive guy, so he has the clout to make that gamble, I suppose.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:25 PM   #139
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: 2012 Free Agency Wish List

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Landry's talent was never in question. He's a total knucklehead, though. He just ignored the recommendation of a renowned surgeon and refused surgery on that achilles tendon... the same thing he did last offseason, and we all see how that worked. I guess the franchise tag wouldn't be terrible to use on him since there's no long term issue.
My thing is even if you judge Landry on what is (a guy with a bad achillies), and not what can be, he's still worth about $5-$8 million a year and starts for every team.

You just don't want to tie up signing bonus money in an injury liability, just because of the way SB money affects the cap. Based on that, the tag is the best of both worlds: you get him below his market value, and you don't have a commitment to him beyond 2012.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:39 PM   #140
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: 2012 Free Agency Wish List

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
My thing is even if you judge Landry on what is (a guy with a bad achillies), and not what can be, he's still worth about $5-$8 million a year and starts for every team.

You just don't want to tie up signing bonus money in an injury liability, just because of the way SB money affects the cap. Based on that, the tag is the best of both worlds: you get him below his market value, and you don't have a commitment to him beyond 2012.
I agree. It's just frustrating because we all know his ceiling is a top 2 or 3 safety in the NFL- we've seen it. But he can't stay healthy... so now he has his first full normal offseason under Shanahan, he has a great opportunity to get fully healthy and have the surgery, and he just blows off the doctors orders.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:50 PM   #141
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: 2012 Free Agency Wish List

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
I agree. It's just frustrating because we all know his ceiling is a top 2 or 3 safety in the NFL- we've seen it. But he can't stay healthy... so now he has his first full normal offseason under Shanahan, he has a great opportunity to get fully healthy and have the surgery, and he just blows off the doctors orders.
At the risk of being crass, Mike Shanahan is getting $7 million per year from Dan Snyder to deal with players like Landry being difficult, not to get rid of every player who is being difficult.

If changing the culture simply meant getting rid of the source be it Haynesworth/McNabb/Landry, and then taking your lumps on the field on Sundays, then there's about 150 people in the world who could have done that on a salary of $1.2 million a year.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:36 PM   #142
Special Teams
 
biffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 137
Re: 2012 Free Agency Wish List

Ben Grubbs
Brandon Carr (dump Hall)
Dashon Goldson (let Landry walk)
Mario Manningham
Ryan Harris
Chad Henne (let Grossman walk)
biffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:24 PM   #143
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,355
Re: 2012 Free Agency Wish List

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffle View Post
Ben Grubbs
Brandon Carr (dump Hall)
Dashon Goldson (let Landry walk)
Mario Manningham
Ryan Harris
Chad Henne (let Grossman walk)
welcome and not a bad list except I don't care for Henne
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:42 PM   #144
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,967
Re: 2012 Free Agency Wish List

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
welcome and not a bad list except I don't care for Henne
I'm hoping we sign him because when he inevitably has a bad game or two I'm itching to use the thread title "Henne on the Rocks"
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:48 PM   #145
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: 2012 Free Agency Wish List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
This baffles me....So...doesn't represent 'that big of a need'?
Yes, WR doesn't represent that big of need to warrant a big name FA signing.

Quote:
I think Hankerson will be fine and a starter.. Paul is likely more a ST player than a legitimate WR prospect.. Other than that, where's the optimism coming from about our current WR group? Outside of QB, this is our worst offensive unit and needs the most attention.
I have no idea what Hankerson will become.
I agree that he's shown potential and he could become something greater then he was last year.
But I don't base my optimism about the WR corps on him.

I the think decline in the production of both Moss and Armstrong was directly linked to both injury and near league worst QB play.
And I don't think poor QB play is a reason to replace the WRs.
Imo Moss and Armstrong are still every bit as talented as they were in 2010 where Moss was top 10 in catches and in yards and Armstrong was a viable deep threat with near league best ypc of 19.8 ypc behind only Mike Wallace.
Would I like a big name WR? Would a big name WR help the passing game?
Yes and yes, but is a big name FA WR a need? No not imo.

As far as the worst units on offense after QB its OL in my book.
If you look at the passing game even despite the injuries and poor QB play the passing game was ranked 14th in the NFL. (down from 8th in 2010 w/ McNabb a QB that didn't even get along with the OC)

However the OL gave up 42 sacks which is 22th only 4 down from 2010.
Imo clearly, the OL is the biggest weakness after QB specifically RT and I wouldn't look to solve the RT/OL via a big name FA either.
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole

Last edited by 30gut; 01-31-2012 at 08:55 PM.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:51 PM   #146
Special Teams
 
biffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 137
Re: 2012 Free Agency Wish List

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
welcome and not a bad list except I don't care for Henne
I prefer him to Rex, and that's why I list him. A better and younger back-up to, hopefully, RG3.

Last edited by biffle; 01-31-2012 at 08:57 PM.
biffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:43 PM   #147
Start RG

 
CrazyCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,905
Re: 2012 Free Agency Wish List

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I'm hoping we sign him because when he inevitably has a bad game or two I'm itching to use the thread title "Henne on the Rocks"
Sounds like a 47-pager... I look forward to it.
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:22 PM   #148
Gamebreaker
 
DynamiteRave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington DC
Age: 28
Posts: 12,795
Re: 2012 Free Agency Wish List

Looks like there's still a TE issue. I wish we'd just hold onto Davis and Cooley.

Redskins' Tight End Position Bears Watching
__________________
Establishment, establishment, you always know what's best.

"We're officially horrible." -RedskinRat

I'm a chick, damnit.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:27 PM   #149
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,509
Re: 2012 Free Agency Wish List

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
Looks like there's still a TE issue. I wish we'd just hold onto Davis and Cooley.

Redskins' Tight End Position Bears Watching
I'm sure we will, but a later round flyer on one wouldn't bother me.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:17 PM   #150
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 25
Posts: 12,231
Re: 2012 Free Agency Wish List

I don't see how someone can say WR isn't a need for us. It's arguably our 2nd biggest need.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.32738 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25