Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Peyton manning cleared to play

Redskins Locker Room


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 07:29 AM   #151
The Starter
 
REDSKINS4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Born and raised in D.C.....but I'm a New Yorker now....
Posts: 2,177
Re: Peyton manning cleared to play

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins89moss View Post
We are talking about a HOF QB Peyton Manning here not, signing Jeff George. Manning has proven he is 1 of the best QB's ever to play. No GM could fault the Redskins for signing Peyton if he is healthy. He could give us 3-4 years while we find a future franchise QB. We keep all of our draft picks or trade down from #6 for more picks and get our young QB in the later rounds. This is a win situation for us. Peyton will is a top 5 QB when healthy and RGIII or Luck have not done squat in the NFL.
I agree completely. But the question/concern about Peyton Manning playing in for the Redskins is this: Can he play quarterback effectively in a west coast offense after being in one offense for so many years? Can Manning do what Mike Shanahan and Kyle Shanahan want him to do? Will the Shanahans attempt to alter the things that Peyton does best on the field and try and change him like how they did with McNabb? Will Mike Shanahan and Kyle Shanahan allow Peyton Manning to call his own plays like he had been doing for Indianapolis? What if the situation blows up like it did with McNabb?
REDSKINS4ever is offline  

Advertisements
Old 02-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #152
The Starter
 
SolidSnake84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stephens City, VA
Posts: 1,916
Re: Peyton manning cleared to play

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
I agree completely. But the question/concern about Peyton Manning playing in for the Redskins is this: Can he play quarterback effectively in a west coast offense after being in one offense for so many years? Can Manning do what Mike Shanahan and Kyle Shanahan want him to do? Will the Shanahans attempt to alter the things that Peyton does best on the field and try and change him like how they did with McNabb? Will Mike Shanahan and Kyle Shanahan allow Peyton Manning to call his own plays like he had been doing for Indianapolis? What if the situation blows up like it did with McNabb?
This is an excellent question. The move with McNabb seemed good on paper, but he truly was shot as a QB and his fate in Minnesota proved that. Nobody knows if Manning is physically done. His neck has healed fully, but there are lingering doubts about his arm strength/velocity and I think one doctor has already said that it arm will not be what it used to be.

That being said, the man is still a genius and has the mental tools to command an offense. Can he find ways to win like Chad Pennington, even though he doesn't have the arm anymore? I think so. How many times do you really see a guy throw an 80 yard bomb that results in a touchdown? It happens but not often. If Peyton has decent velocity at 50 yards, he can make things happen. I just think his arm strength is too up in the air right now.

I dont want to see him end up being like Mark Brunell, who was a great QB, but by the time he got here his arm was basically shot. Thats why I beleived Manning would never come back if he couldn't be what he was before...We will see.

Peyton as a redskin gives us instant credibility, but at the same time, are we a team that is built to win right now? I don't think so. I think anybody who gets Manning will have him for one more season, possibly two, but we all could be wrong and Peyton could play for 4 or 5 more seasons. I hope he is healthy enough to do that because the NFL will be weird with Manning gone for good, and "that other great QB" (over-rated Tom Brady) won't be long to follow him, as he has already hinted at retirement a few times this past season...
__________________
Time to nut up or shut up
SolidSnake84 is offline  
Old 02-05-2012, 12:06 PM   #153
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: Peyton manning cleared to play

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
I agree completely. But the question/concern about Peyton Manning playing in for the Redskins is this: Can he play quarterback effectively in a west coast offense after being in one offense for so many years? Can Manning do what Mike Shanahan and Kyle Shanahan want him to do? Will the Shanahans attempt to alter the things that Peyton does best on the field and try and change him like how they did with McNabb? Will Mike Shanahan and Kyle Shanahan allow Peyton Manning to call his own plays like he had been doing for Indianapolis? What if the situation blows up like it did with McNabb?
Good questions.
But I think the larger question is this: do you trust Mike/Kyle to recognize that PM has proven to be successful enough in his passing offense to warrant adapting their entire offense to more or less mirror Peyton's passing game?

Therefore I don't think it becomes a question of whether PM can learn the Kyle's playbook and verbiage or do what they want him to do.

I think Mike/Kyle would have to come to an understanding that if the sign PM they're signing on to install the 'PM passing offense'.

My thinking is that PM would teach the passing offense to Mike/Kyle/Matt LeFleur/Ike Hilliard.
They would then translate PM plays into their verbiage.
Peyton would have to learn to speak the language of our offense so he could call his plays and our players would understand; which imo would be no problem.
Then sit back and watch PM take charge of the passing game taking every rep from the start of OTA til the playoffs.
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole

Last edited by 30gut; 02-05-2012 at 12:14 PM.
30gut is offline  
Old 02-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #154
Playmaker
 
artmonkforhallofamein07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Charleston , SC
Posts: 4,716
Re: Peyton manning cleared to play

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
Good questions.
But I think the larger question is this: do you trust Mike/Kyle to recognize that PM has proven to be successful enough in his passing offense to warrant adapting their entire offense to more or less mirror Peyton's passing game?

Therefore I don't think it becomes a question of whether PM can learn the Kyle's playbook and verbiage or do what they want him to do.

I think Mike/Kyle would have to come to an understanding that if the sign PM they're signing on to install the 'PM passing offense'.

My thinking is that PM would teach the passing offense to Mike/Kyle/Matt LeFleur/Ike Hilliard.
They would then translate PM plays into their verbiage.
Peyton would have to learn to speak the language of our offense so he could call his plays and our players would understand; which imo would be no problem.
Then sit back and watch PM take charge of the passing game taking every rep from the start of OTA til the playoffs.
A better statement would be to sit back and watch Peyton take charge of the passing game for every rep from the start of OTAs to the final seconds of next years Super Bowl.
__________________
Robert Griffin III welcome to the Washington Redskins!

Year 1 - NFC EAST Champions at 10-6

Year 2 - 3-10... Benched 14 weeks to late.....

Year 3 - Pure Awesomeness!!

http://site.fandangoracinginc.com/
artmonkforhallofamein07 is offline  
Old 02-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #155
MVP
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Age: 26
Posts: 12,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
So you just gonna throw me under the bus?
I'm a little late here Quake but what are you talking about? I was talking about RexKelly and every other newb that joins here and writes 10 posts and then starts a new thread promoting their blog or w/e.
mooby is offline  
Old 02-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #156
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 25
Posts: 12,223
Re: Peyton manning cleared to play

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I'm a little late here Quake but what are you talking about? I was talking about RexKelly and every other newb that joins here and writes 10 posts and then starts a new thread promoting their blog or w/e.
The foof comment. LOL
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline  
Old 02-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #157
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: Peyton manning cleared to play

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmonkforhallofamein07 View Post
A better statement would be to sit back and watch Peyton take charge of the passing game for every rep from the start of OTAs to the final seconds of next years Super Bowl.
Touche; makes me think of a quote from Games That Changed the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jaworski
With some teams, the differece between their first-string and back-up isn't that much, but if your number one guy is a superstar, it's a different story...As we[Ron Jaworski/Jon Gruden] watched, we were surprised to see Manning taking virtually all the reps in the session. Jon asked Tom [Tom Moore Colts OC] why he wasn't giving some snaps to Peyton's backups....He looked us both in the eye, paused for a moment, then said in that gravelly voice of his, "Fellas, if '18' goes down, we're *bleeped*. And we don't practice *bleeped*."
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline  
Old 02-05-2012, 04:21 PM   #158
MVP
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Age: 26
Posts: 12,104
Re: Peyton manning cleared to play

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
The foof comment. LOL
LOL. You can pretend it was an accident all you want but we all know you were jonesing to start a thread where we can discuss foof using code language. But don't worry, your secret's safe with me.
mooby is offline  
Old 02-05-2012, 05:12 PM   #159
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 25
Posts: 12,223
Re: Peyton manning cleared to play

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
LOL. You can pretend it was an accident all you want but we all know you were jonesing to start a thread where we can discuss foof using code language. But don't worry, your secret's safe with me.
Weirdly enough Jones is my last name.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline  
Old 02-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #160
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Peyton manning cleared to play

Now this is funny and interesting, I hope the Rams get burned and left SOL.

2012 NFL Trade Rumors: Peyton Manning On Washington's Radar - Turf Show Times

Quote:
Washington might be less inclined to swap picks if they sign Manning. Miami is expected to pursue Matt Flynn of the Packers. That leaves Cleveland, Arizona and Seattle as the most quarterback needy teams. NFC West teams will be less likely to trade up with their division rivals. If Cleveland has no interest in trading up, Washington gets Manning and Miami gets Flynn, the Rams may be S.O.L. looking for a trade partner. Seattle or Arizona could then make a deal with Minnesota or Cleveland for RG3.
I just love seeing greedy teams getting burned cause they were asking for a mint in trade and then couldn't.
SBXVII is offline  
Old 02-06-2012, 12:07 AM   #161
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,962
Re: Peyton manning cleared to play

How crazy would it be to draft the guy who replaced Heath Shuler at Tennessee more than 15 years after the fact
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline  
Old 02-06-2012, 12:17 AM   #162
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 25
Posts: 12,223
Re: Peyton manning cleared to play

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
How crazy would it be to draft the guy who replaced Heath Shuler at Tennessee more than 15 years after the fact
Great if we actually drafted him.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline  
Old 02-06-2012, 12:39 AM   #163
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,190
Re: Peyton manning cleared to play

Peyton Manning flexible on deal demands, sources say - ESPN

Quote:
A 2010 study of 99 players with neck injuries showed that 76 percent successfully returned to the playing field. Eight quarterbacks were part of the study, including Chris Weinke and Brad Johnson.

Weinke and Manning have been in contact with each other because their cases are similar, according to Weinke, who won a Heisman Trophy and national title at Florida State a year after a neck injury that required a fusion and total nerve regeneration.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline  
Old 02-06-2012, 12:46 AM   #164
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,962
Re: Peyton manning cleared to play

I still would be surprised if he does sign here, but I'm 100% behind making a run at him
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline  
Old 02-06-2012, 12:57 AM   #165
Registered User
 
CultBrennan59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,527
Re: Peyton manning cleared to play

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I still would be surprised if he does sign here, but I'm 100% behind making a run at him
Interesting how Kyle wants him and Mike doesn't. I thought I heard the opposite somewhere else.

I'd be down for Peyton if he were 100% healthy, younger, and wasn't in this bootleg offense.


SS, if, If, we get PM, what WR's would we go after?
CultBrennan59 is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.32952 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25