Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Peyton manning cleared to play

Redskins Locker Room


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 01:20 PM   #61
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,431
Re: Peyton manning cleared to play

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinzWin View Post
He is NOT healthy, I guarantee you that. No one that has had 3 neck fusion surgeries in 10 months is healthy at this point or IMO even by the beginning of next season. And I will bet everything I own on the fact that he will never play at as high a level as he has in the past IF he even ever plays again at all. I know everyone is enamored with the fact that we could get him for cash instead of picks, but I just think it is not the direction we should be going.

Let's say this happens:

1) We sign Peyton Manning and draft Tannehill in the draft.
2) Peyton starts game 1 of the season, takes a big hit and is knocked out for the season and possibly career because of his previous history with neck issues.
3) Tannehill or possible other QB on the roster starts? Tannehill would not be ready, and a back up would most likely not be able to sustain what is necessary to win many games.

Where are we now? Out a lot of cash and not in a position to have a viable QB leading our team once again. And I'm not saying I am only for trading up and giving away picks for a top level QB, I am just saying I'm not for taking a risk on Manning.

You can use that same scenario with ANYBODY. Any player in the NFL has a chance to get knocked out of the game in one play. Peyton has been playing with this neck injury since 2004 so not sure why he's so fragile now. The guy hasn't missed a single game, now all of a sudden, we have him going out in 1 game.

You draft RGIII and use a ton of picks. He tears his ACL on first game, we didn't have the adequate talent on our team to carry on because we gave up all of our draft picks this year and some of next. See, I can do the same scenario. That high draft pick we would have had the following year is now some other teams because we decided to sell the farm.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty

Last edited by NC_Skins; 02-03-2012 at 01:22 PM.
NC_Skins is offline  

Advertisements
Old 02-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #62
Camp Scrub
 
goskins424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2
Re: Peyton manning cleared to play

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
I will punch a hole through Shanny's face if we end up with Colt McCoy. He was a 3rd round pick then and has done nothing to warrant us giving a 5th for him let alone 2nd or 3rd.
HAHAHAHA.......I was thinking the same thing.
goskins424 is offline  
Old 02-03-2012, 01:31 PM   #63
Playmaker
 
SkinzWin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 2,693
Re: Peyton manning cleared to play

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
You can use that same scenario with ANYBODY. Any player in the NFL has a chance to get knocked out of the game in one play. Peyton has been playing with this neck injury since 2004 so not sure why he's so fragile now. The guy hasn't missed a single game, now all of a sudden, we have him going out in 1 game.

You draft RGIII and use a ton of picks. He tears his ACL on first game, we didn't have the adequate talent on our team to carry on because we gave up all of our draft picks this year and some of next. See, I can do the same scenario. That high draft pick we would have had the following year is now some other teams because we decided to sell the farm.
But that's not my point. Yes any player can have a career ending injury on any play at any point in a game. Peyton Manning has a substantially higher risk for getting a career ending injury than a fully healthy player. He has had three neck surgeries in the last 10 months. Not in 2004. His spinal stenosis is a degenerative disease that gets worse, not better.

You have to agree that with his spinal stenosis and three spinal fusions, the chances of him getting knocked out permanently on ANY hit, not necessarily a vicious hit, are exponentially increased.
__________________
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Draft winners, not stars.

Hail to the Redskins
Hail victory
Braves on the warpath
Block for RG3

Last edited by SkinzWin; 02-03-2012 at 01:42 PM.
SkinzWin is offline  
Old 02-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #64
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,431
Re: Peyton manning cleared to play

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinzWin View Post
Peyton Manning has a substantially higher risk for getting a career ending injury than a fully healthy player.
Base on what evidence?
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline  
Old 02-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #65
Playmaker
 
SkinzWin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 2,693
Re: Peyton manning cleared to play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
We sure have a lot of doctors in the house eh?

lol

The Dr. who performed his surgery cleared him, of course he still has to keep rehabbing to get the strength back in his arm, but regardless it sounds like he's on the right track.
I'm not a Dr. but I think it is fairly safe to say that a high profile player who has a strong desire to come back and play the game that he loves could find a Dr. that was willing to grant him the medical clearance he desired. Even if that player knew playing again could end his career or worse. You can't tell me that has never happened before in professional sports.
__________________
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Draft winners, not stars.

Hail to the Redskins
Hail victory
Braves on the warpath
Block for RG3
SkinzWin is offline  
Old 02-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #66
Playmaker
 
los panda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: los angeles, ca
Age: 29
Posts: 4,051
Re: Peyton manning cleared to play

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
This PR battle between Irsay and Manning has to be turning off potential suitors.
for what reasons?
__________________
7 9 21 28 33 42 43 44 49 65 70 81
los panda is offline  
Old 02-03-2012, 01:45 PM   #67
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,616
Re: Peyton manning cleared to play

Quote:
Originally Posted by goskins424 View Post
HAHAHAHA.......I was thinking the same thing.
man...first post over 4 years after joining. Earthquake and Colt have quite an effect on people
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline  
Old 02-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #68
Playmaker
 
SkinzWin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 2,693
Re: Peyton manning cleared to play

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Base on what evidence?
Based on the evidence of spinal stenosis being a narrowing of the spine that deteriorates over time and that three spinal fusions in the same place over a 10 month period is not reassuring in the fact that it is getting better, more likely that it is getting worse.

Although I am not a Dr. or medical expert, I am fairly confident from what I have looked into the matter that a typical spinal fusion is only needed on a specific vertebrae once. People often have multiple fusions if they have a neck and spinal disorder, but on different vertebrae. The fact that he has had three surgeries on the same area is, IMO, a very telling outcome and not in a positive way.
__________________
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Draft winners, not stars.

Hail to the Redskins
Hail victory
Braves on the warpath
Block for RG3
SkinzWin is offline  
Old 02-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #69
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,431
Re: Peyton manning cleared to play

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinzWin View Post
could find a Dr. that was willing to grant him the medical clearance he desired.

None of those doctors are going to stake their reputation like that. It would also be grounds for a huge lawsuit if they cleared him on false grounds. These guys are some of the best in the business AND one of the doctors is the team neurosurgeon for the Colts.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline  
Old 02-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #70
Camp Scrub
 
Higskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Metro area
Posts: 74
Re: Peyton manning cleared to play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
We sure have a lot of doctors in the house eh?

lol

The Dr. who performed his surgery cleared him, of course he still has to keep rehabbing to get the strength back in his arm, but regardless it sounds like he's on the right track.
I'm not a Dr. but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Does that count?

Seriously though, the nerves that fire to his tricep are what's holding things up. Problem is you get muscular atrophy because muscles need nerve stimulation to exist. There's treatments like steriods (LOL), electrical stimulation, rigorous exercises trying to jump start those nerves, etc.

His neck is what all the Doc's are okaying.
__________________
The future is now ~ George Allen
Higskin is offline  
Old 02-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #71
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,672
Re: Peyton manning cleared to play

lol I'm not a Dr. but, here's my medical opinion.

Hilarious.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline  
Old 02-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #72
Playmaker
 
SkinzWin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 2,693
Re: Peyton manning cleared to play

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
None of those doctors are going to stake their reputation like that. It would also be grounds for a huge lawsuit if they cleared him on false grounds. These guys are some of the best in the business AND one of the doctors is the team neurosurgeon for the Colts.
Just like a Dr. wouldn't stake their reputation writing prescriptions for illegal performance enhancing HGH steroids for professional baseball players? Deception and illegal actions in medicine are just as prevalent as in all other industries. I believe it would be naive to think otherwise.
__________________
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Draft winners, not stars.

Hail to the Redskins
Hail victory
Braves on the warpath
Block for RG3
SkinzWin is offline  
Old 02-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #73
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,758
Re: Peyton manning cleared to play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
lol I'm not a Dr. but, here's my medical opinion.

Hilarious.
People are acting like this guy cleared Manning...

__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline  
Old 02-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #74
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,431
Re: Peyton manning cleared to play

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinzWin View Post
Just like a Dr. wouldn't stake their reputation writing prescriptions for illegal performance enhancing HGH steroids for professional baseball players? Deception and illegal actions in medicine are just as prevalent as in all other industries. I believe it would be naive to think otherwise.
lol foreign doctors? That particular doctor was in Canada, and most went to him because he would prescribe HGH. This wasn't some big time doc like Dr. Andrews with the Redskins. Notice he wasn't giving out HGH to players.


Also, your point is invalid the moment the Colts neurosurgeon cleared him as well. Even if he got some random doctor to clear him, the team doctor wouldn't have. In fact, it would have been in the Colts best interest if he hadn't cleared.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline  
Old 02-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #75
Playmaker
 
SkinzWin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 2,693
Re: Peyton manning cleared to play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
lol I'm not a Dr. but, here's my medical opinion.

Hilarious.
Glad I could fill that prescription for you. That will be $10 for your co-pay.
__________________
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Draft winners, not stars.

Hail to the Redskins
Hail victory
Braves on the warpath
Block for RG3
SkinzWin is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.30010 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25