Warpath  

Home | Forums | Shop | Donate




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Peyton Manning or RGIII your choice

Redskins Locker Room


View Poll Results: If you had to choose between the two...
Sign Peyton Manning 43 32.82%
Trade up for RGIII 88 67.18%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #451
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Peyton Manning or RGIII your choice

By the way, for you fans who are against PM because he can't throw....

Polian adamantly denies reports of Manning's poor arm strength

Quote:
Polian refuted comments made Wednesday by Indianapolis Star reporter Bob Kravitz on Tony Kornheiser’s radio show, calling them simply “untrue.” He went further, saying that he saw Manning throw on New Year’s Eve and Manning showed, "quick release, good zip, but it was capped at about 25 yards.”
Quote:
Polian said Manning is showing progress and that “his range of motion between his right arm and his left arm are almost the same at this point."
SBXVII is offline  

Advertisements
Old 02-13-2012, 03:13 PM   #452
Playmaker
 
NYCskinfan82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Queens, NYC
Age: 48
Posts: 3,597
Re: Peyton Manning or RGIII your choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
First Don Cornelius, then Whitney Houston and now this? Damn, worst Black History Month ever.
Ain't that the truth.
NYCskinfan82 is offline  
Old 02-13-2012, 03:39 PM   #453
Impact Rookie
 
Skins4L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 871
Re: Peyton Manning or RGIII your choice

I say draft up for RGIII.

but Peyton isnt the worst option lol
I think Peyton will be just find and propell whatever team he plays for.
If it wasnt for Newton boosting a guy like RGIIIs draft status we wouldnt be having this convo.
__________________
ALL HAIL
Skins4L is offline  
Old 02-13-2012, 03:39 PM   #454
Pro Bowl
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Peyton Manning or RGIII your choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Yes, but the only one with a chip on their shoulder would be Manning. I am willing to give MS the benefit of the doubt with McNabb (I still think it was a terrible idea, but whatever). But our entire FO deserves to fired if they signed an unhealthy Manning or if MS is not able to fit his defense to a healthy Manning.

As it has been mentioned before, signing Manning will only cost us money. Regardless of whether we get Manning or not, the key will be for his FO to get their QB of the future. Either by trading up for RG3 or getting a Tannehill/Cousins/Osweiller/etc.
Truer words...

In the (longshot) case of signing Peyton and RGIII falling to 6 and we take him, it will be very interesting to see what kind of QB RGIII becomes under Manning's tutelage. Griifin has such superior physical ability by all accounts if he could learn to be the OC type QB Peyton is holy sh!t what a phenom!!
__________________
24-34
The Goat is offline  
Old 02-13-2012, 06:22 PM   #455
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 29
Posts: 15,994
Re: Peyton Manning or RGIII your choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffle View Post
For the record, why don't you look at GTripp's breakdown of our cap space. People keep throwing these numbers around and thinking that we are going to have trouble figuring out what to do with all the cap space. Once we re-sign our own and our draft picks, that space turns into a much more pedestrian number.
If you throw a ton of front loaded cap space at Peyton Manning, I think you are right that the $48 million figure can look a lot bigger than it really is. That $48 million can become $12 million really quickly and without guaranteed roster improvement. Look at how much the Redskins spent last year and what they got out of it.

But I do want to say this: Schneed is right when he says there are very limited ways to improve your team with available cap space. I believe the best use of the cap is to have as much available as possible for a day where you have so many critical veteran pieces to your team that you actually need to use that cap space to keep those guys together, but if you pay Peyton Manning mostly through 2012 and 2013 guaranteed roster bonuses, all that cap space spent to get Manning will still be there in 2014, and it limits the room to make bad signings just because you want to dispel the illusion that you are being cheap.

Marginal wins are almost impossible to buy in football with cash, whereas in baseball, you have pretty accurate estimates of a marginal win costing $4.8 million.

I buy your argument that Peyton is in decline, but I think if you strip out the Colts-offense related decline, Peyton's personal decline is much less steep, and you still have a pretty dominant player who is a better quarterback than Eli Manning and Michael Vick in the NFC East.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline  
Old 02-13-2012, 06:31 PM   #456
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 29
Posts: 15,994
Re: Peyton Manning or RGIII your choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
As for GTripp's breakdown, you probably don't realize it but you've stepped into my wheelhouse - salary cap analysis. GTripp's breakdown post is one I used to do for this site. He did it this year for whatever reason, I chose not to make an issue of it, but that doesn't mean I agree with the analysis. He's right in saying we need a portion of our cap space to resign our own players or replace them with other players. But I don't agree with the conclusion that there is only $15 million of flexibility. You may be able to assume same cap value when considering replacement cost of departing players, but that doesn't mean those replacements won't be talent upgrades.
And there was no cap rollover in the analysis I posted.

It's a moot point for the 2012 season because the Redskins aren't even going to get close to spending to the cap unless they have like a $20 million roster bonus for Manning in the middle of the season. Anything else, and only a cap analysis of 2013 or 2014 could produce a meaningful barrier to new contracts.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline  
Old 02-13-2012, 06:33 PM   #457
Pro Bowl
 
artmonkforhallofamein07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Charleston , SC
Posts: 5,000
Re: Peyton Manning or RGIII your choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skins4L View Post
I say draft up for RGIII.

but Peyton isnt the worst option lol
I think Peyton will be just find and propell whatever team he plays for.
If it wasnt for Newton boosting a guy like RGIIIs draft status we wouldnt be having this convo.
Can we have that option please. I don't care how you cut but there is a risk in either of the top two rookie QBs, and it will be a few years before we see a rookie come out and play like Cam Newton did this year. RGIII will not put up Cam Newton #s. It has been years since a rookie came out and played like Cam, it will be years till the next.
__________________
Just win.
artmonkforhallofamein07 is offline  
Old 02-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #458
Pro Bowl
 
artmonkforhallofamein07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Charleston , SC
Posts: 5,000
Re: Peyton Manning or RGIII your choice

This is an interesting read regarding Steve Young's view of MS and how Peyton could thirve here.

Steve Young thinks Peyton Manning to the Redskins is a fit - DC Sports Bog - The Washington Post

I for one want to see this team win. NOW! LOL
__________________
Just win.
artmonkforhallofamein07 is offline  
Old 02-13-2012, 06:50 PM   #459
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 29
Posts: 15,994
Re: Peyton Manning or RGIII your choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
Manning is no more of an injury risk than any other QB. The neck isn't an issue, it's the nerves in his arm that are preventing him from being considered 100%. The neck has been fine since the fall.
Correction on one point: Manning may not be any more of an injury risk because of his cervical fusion, but he's a 36+ year old NFL starting quarterback. That's a group that, in it's entirety, is two guys: Manning and Hasselbeck. All else equal, Manning is more of an injury risk than 30 other starting QBs based on his age alone.

I still think Manning is capable of throwing together back to back 16 start seasons, but I would not predict that he will.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline  
Old 02-13-2012, 07:04 PM   #460
Special Teams
 
biffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 137
Re: Peyton Manning or RGIII your choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
If you throw a ton of front loaded cap space at Peyton Manning, I think you are right that the $48 million figure can look a lot bigger than it really is. That $48 million can become $12 million really quickly and without guaranteed roster improvement. Look at how much the Redskins spent last year and what they got out of it.

But I do want to say this: Schneed is right when he says there are very limited ways to improve your team with available cap space. I believe the best use of the cap is to have as much available as possible for a day where you have so many critical veteran pieces to your team that you actually need to use that cap space to keep those guys together, but if you pay Peyton Manning mostly through 2012 and 2013 guaranteed roster bonuses, all that cap space spent to get Manning will still be there in 2014, and it limits the room to make bad signings just because you want to dispel the illusion that you are being cheap.

Marginal wins are almost impossible to buy in football with cash, whereas in baseball, you have pretty accurate estimates of a marginal win costing $4.8 million.

I buy your argument that Peyton is in decline, but I think if you strip out the Colts-offense related decline, Peyton's personal decline is much less steep, and you still have a pretty dominant player who is a better quarterback than Eli Manning and Michael Vick in the NFC East.
Well, I certainly agree with you on re-signing your own being the smartest way to spend cap room. But I think there is plenty of good that can be done in the FA market. Just using last year's class of our own, the 2012 costs for the vet FAs we brought in (Cofield, Bowen, Atogwe, Wilson, Chester, Rocca) is right around 24 mil. Is that not a wise use of resources? Is there no way we can envision a repeat of that as a smart way to add to our depth? Or, we could probably sign a couple of guys like Ben Grubbs and Mario Manningham for about the same per year cost as Manning. Just dismissing the other uses of the cap space is not a fair way to look at the two sides of this.

And again, the rollovers mean even if we stayed below the cap, those become dollars we can spend in the future. So an argument centered around an implication that if we don't sign Manning or the dollars go to waste in some way is not really valid, imo.

The problem with arguing this is that it feels like debating arguments built around conflicting points:
A) that we should sign Manning because of the surety of how it will improve us. while at the same time dismissing the cap space argument because there's nothing you can do on the FA market that can really help the team.
B) that we shouldn't draft a QB because the odds are so against finding a star in the draft, while at the same time acting as if whatever else we would do with the draft picks is a sure bet to succeed.


Anyway, I probably won't be around the board much the next few days, so thanks for the convo guys.
biffle is offline  
Old 02-13-2012, 07:11 PM   #461
Playmaker
 
NYCskinfan82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Queens, NYC
Age: 48
Posts: 3,597
Re: Peyton Manning or RGIII your choice

My picks are PM or Bradford, PM allows us to trade back & get more picks lasts years draft spoilled me this whole tradeing back and getting more picks and good talent is a BRILLIANT! idea.
NYCskinfan82 is offline  
Old 02-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #462
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 32
Posts: 14,750
Re: Peyton Manning or RGIII your choice

I see it two ways.

Offseason Plan with Peyton:
Sign Peyton
Sign Reggie Wayne
Trade Down and pickup a Stanford lineman in the first (G - David DeCastro or OT Jonathan Martin)
Pick the best second tier QB in the 2nd (Tannehill, Foles, Osweiler)
BPA with the other Second Round pick with a slight favor towards the offensive side of the ball. Or Better yet try to trade down again for a 3rd and fourth.

Offseason Plan with RGIII
Sign Vincent Jackson, Dwayne Bowe, or Marques Colston
Trade 2012 and 2013 First for RGIII
Use Second Round pick on Offensive Lineman
Use third round pick on BPA preferably offense

Granted this is kind of more what I would do but it gives you an idea of what our options are under both scenarios.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG

Last edited by Dirtbag59; 02-13-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Dirtbag59 is offline  
Old 02-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #463
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 10,675
Re: Peyton Manning or RGIII your choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmonkforhallofamein07 View Post
This is an interesting read regarding Steve Young's view of MS and how Peyton could thirve here.

Steve Young thinks Peyton Manning to the Redskins is a fit - DC Sports Bog - The Washington Post

I for one want to see this team win. NOW! LOL
GREAT find!
Nice to have the opinion of an actual player with HOF skills, rather than the endless...blather of blowhard player wannabe's....gone sportscaster and armchair quarterbacks.

“Well first of all, no one is doubting my love affair with Mike Shanahan,” Young said. “I mean, the two of us, for three of four years, the guy was unbelievable. He can call plays like no one I’ve ever seen. He was just amazing in my professional career. So first of all, when you talk about quarterbacks and who could really do something with Peyton Manning, in my mind it’s Mike Shanahan....It’s one of those places where it seems like it’s all in place.”
Then Thom Loverro speculated that Shanahan’s quarterback guru reputation has taken a hit in recent seasons.
“Let me just tell you this: Mike is a phenomenal playcaller, but he wants a quarterback that will protect his incredible ability to call plays,” Young said. “In other words, I’m gonna call a series of plays, I’m gonna put combinations together that are a little bit outlandish, but you need to protect me. Most playcallers have to go the other way — I’ve got to call plays because my quarterback’s not gonna protect me and I’m gonna protect him. That relationship is vital.
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
“God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.” – Joe Gibbs
Hog1 is offline  
Old 02-13-2012, 07:18 PM   #464
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 18,501
Re: Peyton Manning or RGIII your choice

I'm going to steal your scenarios Dirt and add a few things...

Offseason Plan with Peyton:
Sign Peyton
Sign Marques Colston
Trade Down and pickup DeCastro (OG) in the first
Pick the best second tier QB in the 2nd (Tannehill, Foles, Osweiler)
BPA with the other Second Round pick with a slight favor towards the offensive side of the ball (tackle or WR).

Offseason Plan with RGIII
Sign Vincent Jackson
Sign FA Vet QB bridge
Sign Ben Grubbs (OG)
Get an upgrade from Brown at RT.
Trade 2012 and 2013 First, 2012 second for RGIII (I don't think two firsts is going to cut it)
Use third round pick on BPA preferably offense
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried - Agianst

"If you have to debate which of your 3 QBs is your best, you don't have a QB. Say it with me now... it... doesn't... matter." Schneed

Last edited by Ruhskins; 02-13-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Ruhskins is offline  
Old 02-13-2012, 07:29 PM   #465
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 29
Posts: 15,994
Re: Peyton Manning or RGIII your choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
I'm going to steal your scenarios Dirt and add a few things...

Offseason Plan with Peyton:
Sign Peyton
Sign Marques Colston
Trade Down and pickup DeCastro (OG) in the first
Pick the best second tier QB in the 2nd (Tannehill, Foles, Osweiler)
BPA with the other Second Round pick with a slight favor towards the offensive side of the ball (tackle or WR).

Offseason Plan with RGIII
Sign Vincent Jackson
Sign FA Vet QB bridge
Sign Ben Grubbs (OG)
Get an upgrade from Brown at RT.
Trade 2012 and 2013 First, 2012 second for RGIII (I don't think two firsts is going to cut it)
Use third round pick on BPA preferably offense
Why Marques Colston with Peyton, but Vincent Jackson with RG3? Just variety? Or something more design-oriented?
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.21417 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25