Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Peyton Manning or RGIII your choice

Redskins Locker Room


View Poll Results: If you had to choose between the two...
Sign Peyton Manning 43 32.82%
Trade up for RGIII 88 67.18%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 07:33 PM   #961
Special Teams
 
biffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 137
Re: Peyton Manning or RGIII your choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Yeah he won't be easy to get, for sure
He won't, but my point was also about how good he must be for them to value him so. And that's not out of the blue, I thought he was a huge sleeper in the draft when he came out.
biffle is offline  

Advertisements
Old 02-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #962
Special Teams
 
biffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 137
Re: Peyton Manning or RGIII your choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
I don't think anyone is giving up 6 picks for Luck. The most I'd give for Luck is:

2012 1st rd.
2013 1st rd.
2014 2nd rd.

If you don't want it whatever
And when they stop laughing.....?
biffle is offline  
Old 02-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #963
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 25
Posts: 12,158
Re: Peyton Manning or RGIII your choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffle View Post
And when they stop laughing.....?
I would have hung up already.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline  
Old 02-17-2012, 07:54 PM   #964
Special Teams
 
biffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 137
Re: Peyton Manning or RGIII your choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
I would have hung up already.
Earlier in the thread you said you'd give up a better deal for Griffin, so I assume you like him more than Luck?
biffle is offline  
Old 02-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #965
Playmaker
 
los panda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: los angeles, ca
Age: 29
Posts: 4,140
Re: Peyton Manning or RGIII your choice

does anyone else buy the pro football weekly draft preview? i love carrying that around and reading about every player when i'm waiting in line or something of that nature
__________________
7 9 21 28 33 42 43 44 49 65 70 81
los panda is offline  
Old 02-17-2012, 08:05 PM   #966
Special Teams
 
biffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 137
Re: Peyton Manning or RGIII your choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by los panda View Post
does anyone else buy the pro football weekly draft preview? i love carrying that around and reading about every player when i'm waiting in line or something of that nature
I usually get theirs and the Sporting News'. Maybe another if I have extra money weighing me down.
biffle is offline  
Old 02-17-2012, 08:12 PM   #967
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 25
Posts: 12,158
Re: Peyton Manning or RGIII your choice

I'm not giving up 3 1st rounders for anyone, but to be honest I do like RGIII a little more than Luck. I think he has a higher ceiling but a lower floor if that makes sense. Plus with Luck you would have to pretty much give away your entire draft for. 3 1st rounders is the opening asking price and that's ridiculous but 5 to 10 years from now I think RGIII will be the better player.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline  
Old 02-17-2012, 10:49 PM   #968
The Starter
 
warriorzpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,659
Re: Peyton Manning or RGIII your choice

There are 2 question marks with Peyton Manning- is he healthy and how will he play after a year away from football? The first question is the easily most important.

The thing I don't get is - why are there no question marks being discussed with RGIII? Why is he the one qb that no one questions- with his talent and skill?

I would start off with - what usually makes a qb great in the nfl? And does he possess or have the likely potential to attain those qualities?

I'm not saying that he doesn't - I'm just saying I don't know. I'm just wondering what has a bunch of people convinced so early.

Last edited by warriorzpath; 02-17-2012 at 10:51 PM.
warriorzpath is offline  
Old 02-18-2012, 12:51 AM   #969
The Starter
 
warriorzpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,659
Re: Peyton Manning or RGIII your choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
Good question, but you could say the exact same thing about Luck.
That's true but one difference is - Luck first garnered his attention after last season, which basically put him under a microscope. Because of that attention - this past season, he was evaluated in every game he played.

RGIII got much of his attention in his pursuit of the heisman and then after he won it. So there weren't as many games that fans and media paid attention to up that point. And that's why there should be much less thats known with RGIII. And thats also why I think there should be more question marks with him.
warriorzpath is offline  
Old 02-18-2012, 03:47 AM   #970
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: Peyton Manning or RGIII your choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
The more I watch Tannehill the more I don't want him. He always starts games off well, and then falters awfully in them the later it is in the game. Why didn't he start at QB 2 years ago? I just don't trust a guy who was a WR 2 years ago and just got the starting job midway through last year, because of injury.
But how much of A&M's struggle are because of him vs the entire team struggling against a better opponent?

re:Why didn't he start at QB 2 years ago?

He didn't start 2 years ago because as a freshmen he lost the QB competition between a Sr. QB Stephen McGee who turned out to be an NFL prospect that was drafted by the Cowboys and Jerrod Johnson another pro prospect QB.
He was then asked to move to WR to help the team (which he did) because at the time he was the 3rd QB behind Jerrod Johnson who was arguably the best QB in the Big 12 (better then Colt McCoy) before he trashed his shoulder.
So long story short: Tannehill moved to WR because as a freshmen there were 2 NFL QBs ahead of him.

And to be clear he played all of last year at QB it was the previous year that he took over mid-season and it wasn't because of 'injury'; Johnson was physically able to play (he had surgery on his shoulder over the previous summer and opened the season as the starter).
The A&M staff thought Tannehill would be a better option following some tough loses where Johnson underperformed and it turns out the staff was right.
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole

Last edited by 30gut; 02-18-2012 at 08:48 AM.
30gut is offline  
Old 02-18-2012, 06:48 AM   #971
Special Teams
 
Brody81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 450
Re: Peyton Manning or RGIII your choice

Peyton Manning Update - 12th Man Rising - A Seattle Seahawks Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and more.

Good Read...
Brody81 is offline  
Old 02-18-2012, 07:04 AM   #972
The Starter
 
#56fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Charlotte NC
Age: 40
Posts: 1,789
Re: Peyton Manning or RGIII your choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanix544 View Post
And this is the sad reality we live in. With rex grossman, john beck and donovan Mcnabb, either of those options sound absolutley wonderful. Just shows you how bad the Shanahans have screwed the pooch when it comes to the QB position. Sorry, but if a coach has been in control for over 2 years, and there is absolutely NO answer of any sort, and by that I mean NO YOUNG TALENT or anything that even resembles a qb that will give you chances to win games, then he needs to be held accountable. Ignoring the most important position on the squad, and adding marginally better young talent in two years, well, lets hope he really flashes his genius this year.

If he doesn't, then maybe some difficult decisions need to be made. Lesser coaches have done WAY more with just as little talent, and also done it in a much shorter span than having over 24 months. Noone shanahan has brought in has knocked my socks off. Noone. he has made some solid acquisitions, but put in a situation, you have 53 chances to show that you are adding talent, and making the team better. When looked at as a whole, the only reason i feel ANY reason to be optimistic is that our team is on average 2.1 years younger on average at the end of this past season than two seasons ago. That is the only reason. There has to be a palpable show of proof, and having two years with both 1st and 2nd rounders each of his drafts, well, like I said, Im not astonished.

Here is to hoping he doesnt screw the pooch this year, and does what it takes to get a quarterback for our team.

I think you are WAY off base. if you remember last years draft we were in position to draft Blain Gabbert, and for what ever reason Shanahan didn't like him (i was hoping to draft him) and out of all the rookies that played last year Gabbert looked freaking horrible. So I think he was left with the fact he had no choice but to suck it up and try and win some games with Rex and go after a QB this year. I think he knew the "franchise" QB was going to come out of this years draft, and he was/is going to be willing to throw a few picks away to get his guy. I think it was a fantastic move thinking Luck, Griffin, and probably at the time Barkely was coming out and we'd get one of them.

Now, as far as adding talent, I have no idea what team you are watching. The draft last season was spectacular in tems of adding more picks, adding young talent and the talent actually contributing on the field. If Jenkins had not been hurt, 11 or all 12 of the picks would have played and contributed. Helu, Royster seem to be pretty decent. Kerrigan, Gomes, Hurt, Hankerson, Jenkins, Neild - dont see your reasoning. Then the free agent grabs in Cofield and Bowen have absolutely helped, plus the drafting of Perry Riley the year before.(he is going to be a stud)

I dont think (in my opinion) this is a make and break year for Shanahan. It is his 3rd year, and there will be some improvement, hopefully a lot of improvement from the standpoint of wins and losses that is. As far as competing on the field, we were competative all year last year. Played down to the opponent, up to the opponent, so its just a matter of getting to a consistant level of play. WE are headed in the right direction.
#56fanatic is offline  
Old 02-18-2012, 08:12 AM   #973
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,120
I disagree with shanny losing his touch but I also disagree that he's safe with another 5 or 6 win season. IMO if we don't win at least 8 games then he should be gone.. Mike shanahan is a guy that u put trust in to be competitive and win games he's not Jim Zorn., heck even he won 8 games one year.
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is online now  
Old 02-18-2012, 08:39 AM   #974
The Starter
 
44Deezel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Davidsonville
Posts: 1,679
Re: Peyton Manning or RGIII your choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorzpath View Post
There are 2 question marks with Peyton Manning- is he healthy and how will he play after a year away from football? The first question is the easily most important.

The thing I don't get is - why are there no question marks being discussed with RGIII? Why is he the one qb that no one questions- with his talent and skill?

I would start off with - what usually makes a qb great in the nfl? And does he possess or have the likely potential to attain those qualities?

I'm not saying that he doesn't - I'm just saying I don't know. I'm just wondering what has a bunch of people convinced so early.
I hear you. I look at the last 10 QBs to win the Super Bowl and wonder if RGIII has similar traits. Maybe, but it's not glaringly obvious to me. I don't get the "lock" sentiment with him. That said, I'd love to have him, but not at an exorbitant cost.
__________________
I am a system poster.
44Deezel is offline  
Old 02-18-2012, 08:58 AM   #975
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: Peyton Manning or RGIII your choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Deezel View Post
I hear you. I look at the last 10 QBs to win the Super Bowl and wonder if RGIII has similar traits. Maybe, but it's not glaringly obvious to me. I don't get the "lock" sentiment with him. That said, I'd love to have him, but not at an exorbitant cost.
I think Griffin's physical profile and skill set are strikingly similar to Aaron Rodgers.
Similar build (almost the exact same build), both excellent runners (Griffin is obviously better), both good throwing on the move outside the pocket, both can evade/elude pressure/sacks, both are excellent deep ball passers, both throw with above average velocity.

I think Griffin's playing style is similar to these Super Bowl winning QBs:
Steve Young
Aaron Rodgers
John Elway
Roger Staubach
Brett Favre
Ben Roethlisberger

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
I disagree with shanny losing his touch but I also disagree that he's safe with another 5 or 6 win season. IMO if we don't win at least 8 games then he should be gone.. Mike shanahan is a guy that u put trust in to be competitive and win games he's not Jim Zorn., heck even he won 8 games one year.
I agree.
I think the only ways the team goes below .500 and Mike Shanahan isn't on the hot seat are:
o draft and play a rookie QB

o sign/trade for a QB that plays well above yet have a losing season despite good QB play
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole

Last edited by 30gut; 02-18-2012 at 09:02 AM.
30gut is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31207 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25