Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Peyton Manning or RGIII your choice

Redskins Locker Room


View Poll Results: If you had to choose between the two...
Sign Peyton Manning 43 32.82%
Trade up for RGIII 88 67.18%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 02:15 AM   #121
Playmaker
 
los panda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: los angeles, ca
Age: 29
Posts: 4,122
Re: Peyton Manning or RGIII your choice

between the two i chose rg3
__________________
7 9 21 28 33 42 43 44 49 65 70 81
los panda is offline  

Advertisements
Old 02-11-2012, 02:24 AM   #122
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: Peyton Manning or RGIII your choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffle View Post
When you use the percentage of first round QBs who have worked out, you are using all of them, including Russell and Leaf, whom I used as examples of prospects who drag down that percentage.

Is that really so far beyond your ability to comprehend?
C'mon that's where you're gonna go with this?

For someone who suggests that others don't understand stats why is it hard for you to comprehend that when you look at a stat for an entire group you don't get to discard or exclude any subjects based on your whim?

By your logic the hit rate for all prospects at any position should be sorted to include only the prospects that 'biffle' thinks are similar.
Unfortunately that's not how it works and historically the success rate is right around 50/50 its even lower when using the 'franchise' QB or 'elite' QB label as the measure of success. or
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Numbers are what they are. Since 1998 (till 2009), there is a 41% success chance of landing a very good QB in the top 5 of the NFL draft.

Griffin or Luck chances at becoming a successful draft pick are still the same. They still have a 41% chance.
And the larger point, which is lost on you, is that Peyton Manning has already proven himself to be what we hope Griffin will become.
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole

Last edited by 30gut; 02-11-2012 at 02:26 AM.
30gut is offline  
Old 02-11-2012, 02:27 AM   #123
Special Teams
 
biffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 137
Re: Peyton Manning or RGIII your choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Irrelevant point because the fact that they are high first round picks supersedes any perceived differences between Griffin and some more notable busts from that group.

NFL types, despite concerns about character makeup, valued Russell and Leaf as top picks. If Griffin gets valued as a top pick, it is because NFL types feel similarly about him.
Actually, Griffin will be drafted so high precisely because NFL teams don't listen to anything as silly as these percentages. Because they don't think Griffin has anything in common with the likes of Russell and Leaf.

This is how statistical analysis changed baseball. Teams figured out how to compare players by production and body type, among other things. They used that to project how players would produce in the future. Teams won titles by understanding how to use stats in context like that. What they didn't do was use something as laughably simplistic as "x percentage of players at y position don't work out."
biffle is offline  
Old 02-11-2012, 02:36 AM   #124
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: Peyton Manning or RGIII your choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffle View Post
What they didn't do was use something as laughably simplistic as "x percentage of players at y position don't work out."
Citing the hit rate is much different then saying prospect X will fail because of the hit rate.

You understand that right?
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline  
Old 02-11-2012, 02:38 AM   #125
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Peyton Manning or RGIII your choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffle View Post
Actually, Griffin will be drafted so high precisely because NFL teams don't listen to anything as silly as these percentages. Because they don't think Griffin has anything in common with the likes of Russell and Leaf.

This is how statistical analysis changed baseball. Teams figured out how to compare players by production and body type, among other things. They used that to project how players would produce in the future. Teams won titles by understanding how to use stats in context like that. What they didn't do was use something as laughably simplistic as "x percentage of players at y position don't work out."
Well, sure, there are a hundred ways to project Robert Griffin to the NFL better than historical bust rates, but that doesn't make your prior point any less irrelevant.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline  
Old 02-11-2012, 02:48 AM   #126
Special Teams
 
iRepDMV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: 9 Minutes from FedEx Field
Age: 27
Posts: 132
Re: Peyton Manning or RGIII your choice

Robert Griffin iii for the win!
iRepDMV is offline  
Old 02-11-2012, 02:48 AM   #127
Special Teams
 
biffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 137
Re: Peyton Manning or RGIII your choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
Citing the hit rate is much different then saying prospect X will fail because of the hit rate.

You understand that right?
LOL. Really not worth my time to continue with you. Have a good night.
biffle is offline  
Old 02-11-2012, 02:53 AM   #128
Special Teams
 
biffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 137
Re: Peyton Manning or RGIII your choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Well, sure, there are a hundred ways to project Robert Griffin to the NFL better than historical bust rates, but that doesn't make your prior point any less irrelevant.
My point was simply you can't assign some percentage chance of success on any player because of what other, completely different, players did. Both history and common sense should tell us that. I'm not sure how that is "irrelevant".
biffle is offline  
Old 02-11-2012, 02:59 AM   #129
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: Peyton Manning or RGIII your choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffle View Post
LOL. Really not worth my time to continue with you. Have a good night.
That's too bad.
I thought that once you realized or stopped to trying to argue a point I wasn't making that we would actually talk about Manning vs Griffin.

anyhow, cheers
HTTR
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole

Last edited by 30gut; 02-11-2012 at 03:00 AM.
30gut is offline  
Old 02-11-2012, 03:21 AM   #130
Playmaker
 
los panda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: los angeles, ca
Age: 29
Posts: 4,122
Re: Peyton Manning or RGIII your choice

next time i have to come in here i'm crackin' skulls

is it too late to add a poll? a poll would be a nice visual aid
__________________
7 9 21 28 33 42 43 44 49 65 70 81
los panda is offline  
Old 02-11-2012, 04:42 AM   #131
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 25
Posts: 12,143
Re: Peyton Manning or RGIII your choice

Here's a question: We all agree that QB/WR/OL are the three biggest holes on the team right? So let's say we re-sign our main FAs Fletch/Davis. Now we have cap space. What if we go out and sign Dwayne Bowe, Eddie Royal, and Ben Grubbs. I think it's safe to say that makes our team better and fills two holes (RT is another story) NC Skins, would you still be against the 3 picks for 1 deal for RGIII? I think FA will have a big say in whether or not we trade up.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline  
Old 02-11-2012, 05:35 AM   #132
Registered User
 
Pigskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 537
Re: Peyton Manning or RGIII your choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffle View Post
My point was simply you can't assign some percentage chance of success on any player because of what other, completely different, players did. Both history and common sense should tell us that. I'm not sure how that is "irrelevant".
You could make a case for redskins free agent qb's too!!! Manning could be the next, Mcnabb, Jeff George, brunell, it's the nfl no one is a guarantee, if it were everyone would win the sb every year, it's a lot to do with "luck"
Pigskins is offline  
Old 02-11-2012, 06:05 AM   #133
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
Here's a question: We all agree that QB/WR/OL are the three biggest holes on the team right? So let's say we re-sign our main FAs Fletch/Davis. Now we have cap space. What if we go out and sign Dwayne Bowe, Eddie Royal, and Ben Grubbs. I think it's safe to say that makes our team better and fills two holes (RT is another story) NC Skins, would you still be against the 3 picks for 1 deal for RGIII? I think FA will have a big say in whether or not we trade up.
I think we will do some big things in FA, guys like bowe, Wayne and garcon could be guys to go get.. Vincent jax also. Add Manning or RG and we are in great shape
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline  
Old 02-11-2012, 08:15 AM   #134
The Starter
 
44Deezel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Davidsonville
Posts: 1,679
Re: Peyton Manning or RGIII your choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
I think we will do some big things in FA, guys like bowe, Wayne and garcon could be guys to go get.. Vincent jax also. Add Manning or RG and we are in great shape
Don't like Garçon. Average WR who Manning made look better than he actually was. He's a dime a dozen guy.
__________________
I am a system poster.
44Deezel is offline  
Old 02-11-2012, 09:02 AM   #135
Playmaker
 
Alvin Walton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Holland, Michigan
Posts: 4,322
Re: Peyton Manning or RGIII your choice

Hmmmm....
An old man that cant throw to his left or the next Randall Cunningham?
I'll go with Buddys boy.
__________________
REDSKINS FAN SINCE 1968
Alvin Walton is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31883 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25