Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Yet Another QB Rumors Thread (Volume 9)

Redskins Locker Room


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 09:32 PM   #721
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: Yet Another QB Rumors Thread (Volume 9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
*sighs*

I know Kaepernick is tall and athletic and throws a good bucket pass, but I'm going to say that lumping him in with Luck is worse than lumping Tannehill with Luck.

I do see Kaepernick and Tannehill though. Very different offensive schemes, but more similar than different in skills.
*sighs* Skill set is not the sum of a prospect.
2 QBs can have the same physical skill set yet grade out completely differently.
For some reason you struggle with the notion of physical skill set being part of a QBs profile yet not the sum of that propsect.
Kaepernik has a much bigger arm then Griffin, Luck and Tannehill and he's at least the athletic equal to Tannehill and superior to Luck.
He's on the same tier as Griffin although not his equal.

But, I guess I should expect this from you since for whatever reason you cannot admit that Tannehill is a better athlete then Luck.
http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-l...tml#post889702 (Yet Another QB Rumors Thread (Volume 9))
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole

Last edited by 30gut; 02-29-2012 at 09:35 PM.
30gut is offline  

Advertisements
Old 02-29-2012, 09:34 PM   #722
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 25
Posts: 11,899
Re: Yet Another QB Rumors Thread (Volume 9)

For Tannehill and Kaepernick to be equal or surperior athletes to Luck they would have to be equal or surperior to Cam Newton right?
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline  
Old 02-29-2012, 09:39 PM   #723
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: Yet Another QB Rumors Thread (Volume 9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
For Tannehill and Kaepernick to be equal or surperior athletes to Luck they would have to be equal or surperior to Cam Newton right?
Nope.
But I guess you would have to think that if you think Luck is an equal or superior athlete to Newton.
I know that is what they tried to push in the media at the combine by touting Luck's unofficial 40 vs Newton's official 40 and forgetting that Newton is also taller, bigger, stronger.
But, to each there own.

Scratching my head as to whether we're all talking about the same Tannehill that was the leading WR for the Aggies 2 years in a row?
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline  
Old 02-29-2012, 09:41 PM   #724
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,585
Re: Yet Another QB Rumors Thread (Volume 9)

Are we talking QB skillset or just pure athlete skillset? And will I regret asking this question?
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline  
Old 02-29-2012, 09:43 PM   #725
Registered User
 
GusFrerotte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Detroit area
Posts: 4,153
Re: Yet Another QB Rumors Thread (Volume 9)

Bleacher report is saying the Skins will give up multiple number ones of RG III. That would be utterly moronic. I like the last report about Shanny and the QB situation and that is to trade down to #20 and get Weedan and an extra pick or two. Too many holes to give away so many #1s for one player. Again, it is a 50/50 proposition if RG III can bring home the bacon. And even if he did, we wouldn't be able to surround him with top talent.
GusFrerotte is offline  
Old 02-29-2012, 09:46 PM   #726
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 28
Posts: 14,423
Re: Yet Another QB Rumors Thread (Volume 9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Redskin View Post
The big problem I see, is we would be out of position to grab Barkley. The guy is mostly likely gonna go #1 and if we're in the mid teens for our pick, imagine the ammo we would need to move up. I think at 6 this year we're in a perfect position to grab an elite QB at near the top.
After hearing about the concerns scouts have with Barkley I think it's pretty safe to say that he would have been the 3rd QB in this draft.

Don't get me wrong, Barkley is a quality prospect and certainly much more promising then the Tannehill's of the world. However he doesn't have the greatest arm and is athletically average if that. RG3 has both the arm and athleticism not to mention he can match Barkley on the intangibles front.

Another thing to remember is Barkley's supporting cast is miles better then what RG3 had at Baylor. I think had the two gone head to head in this draft class Griffin would have gone first.
__________________
"Hey baby, wake up from your a sleep." -Zlad

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is online now  
Old 02-29-2012, 09:46 PM   #727
Playmaker
 
redskins5044's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Schertz, Tx
Age: 34
Posts: 3,082
Re: Yet Another QB Rumors Thread (Volume 9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
Nope.
But I guess you would have to think that if you think Luck is an equal or superior athlete to Newton.
I know that is what they tried to push in the media at the combine by touting Luck's unofficial 40 vs Newton's official 40 and forgetting that Newton is also taller, bigger, stronger.
But, to each there own.

Scratching my head as to whether we're all talking about the same Tannehill that was the leading WR for the Aggies 2 years in a row?
I agree, and even RG3 combine results were overhyped. We already knew he was going to run a fast 40 time, have a good vertical, broad jump, and interview well. The kid is a smart with a good head on his shoulders, nothing new was learned at the combine, just the media needing something to talk about.
redskins5044 is offline  
Old 02-29-2012, 09:49 PM   #728
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: Yet Another QB Rumors Thread (Volume 9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Are we talking QB skillset or just pure athlete skillset? And will I regret asking this question?
lol it depends on which conversation.
Athletic skillset/athleticism is a part of physical skillset which is subset of QB skillset and we've been discussing all of them at different times I guess.
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole

Last edited by 30gut; 02-29-2012 at 09:52 PM.
30gut is offline  
Old 02-29-2012, 09:51 PM   #729
Registered User
 
GusFrerotte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Detroit area
Posts: 4,153
Re: Yet Another QB Rumors Thread (Volume 9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
I sure hope we are interested in Nate Potter OT/OG from Boise State. The dude could start at RT right away IMO.

We need RG3 simple as that. Quit trying to go after the lesser guys shanahan! Just give up the picks and get Griffin.
Why are you ready to give up the bank for one player? I wouldn't give up the bank for Luck either. This team has no depth and most of our starting O line would be backups for the better teams in the league. Yeah go ahead and break the bank for RG III and with no O line to block for him he will result to being Vick in ATL. No thanks. Build the team right for a change. We have broken the bank trying to get the "sexy" pick only to have it blow up in our face all the time. Not knocking RG III, but we have serious holes on our fav team, and giving up mulitple first rounders or even multiple second round picks would be detrimental. Go for Tannehill or Weeden, or even Moore if it means keeping picks or gaining them. We need fresh young talent. What happens to our D if Fletcher leaves, or other stalwarts decide to bolt? Then you are in a big hole without picks in the future. RG III is a very talented guy, but so is Cam Newton and I am not sure Cam is going to win a SB in the near future if at all. A QB can't win a game on his own.
GusFrerotte is offline  
Old 02-29-2012, 09:51 PM   #730
Playmaker
 
SkinzWin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 2,693
Re: Yet Another QB Rumors Thread (Volume 9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
2012 Kirk Cousins=2011 Colin Kaepernick
Kouz (Pronounced Cuzz) Krusader just doesn't have the same ring as Kaep Krusader...
__________________
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Draft winners, not stars.

Hail to the Redskins
Hail victory
Braves on the warpath
Block for RG3
SkinzWin is offline  
Old 02-29-2012, 09:55 PM   #731
Registered User
 
GusFrerotte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Detroit area
Posts: 4,153
Re: Yet Another QB Rumors Thread (Volume 9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahons21 View Post
Draft Breakdown Search Results Kirk Cousins

Some good footage of cousins for those of you with some spare time on their hands.

No to any MSU QB plain and simple. I am a Michigander and a Big Ten guy, and see MSU often. I like Cousins, but I don't see him any higher than the rest of the MSU Qbs in the NFL now, backups at best. MSU QBs do well because the program always seems to recruit TO type guys at WR.
GusFrerotte is offline  
Old 02-29-2012, 10:04 PM   #732
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: Yet Another QB Rumors Thread (Volume 9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redskins5044 View Post
I agree, and even RG3 combine results were overhyped. We already knew he was going to run a fast 40 time, have a good vertical, broad jump, and interview well. The kid is a smart with a good head on his shoulders, nothing new was learned at the combine, just the media needing something to talk about.
Flame suit on: I was actually dissappointed in Griffin's 40 time considering what he's capable of running.
We're talking about a rare specimen here.
A true to life Olympic caliber sprinter.

Now this has nothing to do with football, its not coming from that persepective at all but from a track prospective.
Marshall Faulk hinted at it but stopped short of explaining it.
I have a little bit of background in track myself and knowing that Griffin ran a 21.46/200m (IIRC) 2 years ago when he was a finalist for the Olympic trials, suggests using simple track logic that he should be around around a low 4.4 without breaking a sweat really.
If Griff really wanted to (i.e. trained) he could/should be capable of a lower 40 time, I'm talking low 4.3's.
And who knows he might put up that number at Baylor's pro day where the track will undoubtedly be faster.
BTW Vick's 4.33 was not ran at the combine so I'm not sure why he gets credit for that as his 'official' time.

end track specific rant back to football....
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole

Last edited by 30gut; 02-29-2012 at 10:06 PM.
30gut is offline  
Old 02-29-2012, 10:15 PM   #733
Playmaker
 
redskins5044's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Schertz, Tx
Age: 34
Posts: 3,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
Flame suit on: I was actually dissappointed in Griffin's 40 time considering what he's capable of running.
We're talking about a rare specimen here.
A true to life Olympic caliber sprinter.

Now this has nothing to do with football, its not coming from that persepective at all but from a track prospective.
Marshall Faulk hinted at it but stopped short of explaining it.
I have a little bit of background in track myself and knowing that Griffin ran a 21.46/200m (IIRC) 2 years ago when he was a finalist for the Olympic trials, suggests using simple track logic that he should be around around a low 4.4 without breaking a sweat really.
If Griff really wanted to (i.e. trained) he could/should be capable of a lower 40 time, I'm talking low 4.3's.
And who knows he might put up that number at Baylor's pro day where the track will undoubtedly be faster.
BTW Vick's 4.33 was not ran at the combine so I'm not sure why he gets credit for that as his 'official' time.

end track specific rant back to football....
I just don't get why it was big news and all the talk was about how he improved his stock. To sort of quote Dennis green " he is who we thought he was". I am just tired of all these rumors and arguing about who we should draft or sign as QB. I don't even know who i prefer they get anymore, I change my mind everyday. I am glad I don't have to make the decision.
__________________
Spider 2 Y Banana Jr. is the new Head Coach.
redskins5044 is offline  
Old 02-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #734
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,993
Re: Yet Another QB Rumors Thread (Volume 9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
*sighs* Skill set is not the sum of a prospect.
2 QBs can have the same physical skill set yet grade out completely differently.
For some reason you struggle with the notion of physical skill set being part of a QBs profile yet not the sum of that propsect.
Kaepernik has a much bigger arm then Griffin, Luck and Tannehill and he's at least the athletic equal to Tannehill and superior to Luck.
He's on the same tier as Griffin although not his equal.

But, I guess I should expect this from you since for whatever reason you cannot admit that Tannehill is a better athlete then Luck.
http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-l...tml#post889702 (Yet Another QB Rumors Thread (Volume 9))
Pushing falsehoods is not the same as grading quarterbacks. Of course Andrew Luck is a better athlete than Tannehill.

It's an irrelevant argument since you're the only guy here who starts the quarterback discussion with athleticism, and then gets involved in this quarterback virtual reality where Andrew Luck is this unremarkable first round quarterback who anyone with a good build and a good arm gets compared to.

I thought comparing Tannehill and Kaepernick was a useful way to make your point about Kaepernick being undervalued last year, but your desire to make Luck seem like "one of the guys" undermined the argument you were actually trying to make.

I disagree that NFL Network is pushing a conspiracy to compare Luck and Newton as athletes. But Luck is in that kind of class as an athlete. Whether or not he'll be a better QB than Newton is up for debate and won't be answered for many years. But we already know that this is the kind of athlete we're talking about here.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline  
Old 02-29-2012, 10:36 PM   #735
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: Yet Another QB Rumors Thread (Volume 9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redskins5044 View Post
I just don't get why it was big news and all the talk was about how he improved his stock. To sort of quote Dennis green " he is who we thought he was". I am just tired of all these rumors and arguing about who we should draft or sign as QB. I don't even know who i prefer they get anymore, I change my mind everyday. I am glad I don't have to make the decision.
I hear yah.
But at the end of the day its the media's job to sell things.
Yelling about Griffin/Luck is an easy way to sell the combine to the casual fan.
Fact of the matter is that coaches/exec/scouts all a test to the fact that the 2 most important events at the combines don't occur on the field: medical and interviews.
The whole 'player X stock rose' is hot air.
And I'm sure real scouts hate it.
They literally work all year round tracking these players, talking to their coaches, friends, girlfriends, watching film, going to practices the idea that all their work is less important then a few ours in Indy is silly.

The only 'stock' that jumps at the combine is media 'scout' perceptions which are feed by the same coaches/execs/scouts and enter player agents lying throw their teeth to the media 'scouts' to get their message/agenda out there.
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.32530 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25