Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Colts Officially Release Peyton Manning (QB Thread #11)

Redskins Locker Room


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 10:27 AM   #721
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Colts Officially Release Peyton Manning (QB Thread #11)

Ok at the risk of not looking back I found this funny so sorry if it has been posted...

Denver “desperately” wants Peyton Manning | ProFootballTalk
SBXVII is offline  

Advertisements
Old 03-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #722
Playmaker
 
celts32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hackettstown NJ
Age: 43
Posts: 2,656
Re: Colts Officially Release Peyton Manning (QB Thread #11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Boooooo. oh yea no your right. On top of that I don't think you can start Rex, change him out for RGIII and if he struggles think of even changing back.

They are better off letting Rex go, (hate to say it) keep Beck for camp, keep Crompton for camp, pick up another Vet (Flynn, Orton), and draft some one like Tannehill, Cousins, Weeden. Then let the QB position play out in preseason. Then I'd cut Beck if we didn't prior and Crompton. Keep the new Vet and Rookie. If it's Orton/Rookie I'd hope Rookie starts and Orton is back up, If it's Flynn/Rookie then Rookie can be back up and develope cause as someone else said your not going to pay Flynn starting money which he will want and make him backup.

I still think RGIII is too expensive with all our needs. I'll take Flynn/Rookie and give MS the last 3 yrs to make the young QB's work out. Only other option I like would be trading back for more picks taking Rookie QB in the 1st, WR in 2nd, and picking up another Rookie QB somewhere and let them battle in preseason. Then play the best of the two. With this option we'd have two young QB's to develope over 3 yrs. If after 3 yrs we still suck MS will be gone anyway.
Flynn is not an option worth even discussing. The one thing that everyone in the football world agrees on is that the Redskins do not like Flynn.
__________________
Section 115 Row 23

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

http://victorybeer.com/
celts32 is offline  
Old 03-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #723
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Colts Officially Release Peyton Manning (QB Thread #11)

For those who are of the belief PM is broken.....

If Fusion Solid, Doctors Say Manning Safe To Play « CBS DC
SBXVII is offline  
Old 03-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #724
Playmaker
 
freddyg12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,540
Re: Colts Officially Release Peyton Manning (QB Thread #11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by celts32 View Post
I personally have no problem with Rex starting the 1st couple games if say RG3 is not ready. However, I think Rex starting the home opener will create a bad vibe in the stadium that we don't really need as we start a new season. The boo birds and chants of RG3 are going to start at the 1st incompletion let alone interception. For that reason it's safer to just start fresh with all new QB's...
I see your point, but look at it another way - Rex is the perfect expectation (not game) manager; he will be ready when the season starts whereas a rook will likely not be up to speed mentally, he can pull out a couple of wins if the rest of the team does well, and then he can be the fall guy cause, well, he already is!
freddyg12 is offline  
Old 03-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #725
Playmaker
 
celts32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hackettstown NJ
Age: 43
Posts: 2,656
Re: Colts Officially Release Peyton Manning (QB Thread #11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
I see your point, but look at it another way - Rex is the perfect expectation (not game) manager; he will be ready when the season starts whereas a rook will likely not be up to speed mentally, he can pull out a couple of wins if the rest of the team does well, and then he can be the fall guy cause, well, he already is!
The way he plays costs us wins. And what if the coaching staff thinks RG3 needs 6 or 8 games on the bench? Rex will end up washing another season down the drain. i just think they should aim a little higher then Rex as the stopgap and have him as the fallback plan. But at the end of the day if they have RG3 then i don't care who the heck the backup is...
__________________
Section 115 Row 23

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

http://victorybeer.com/
celts32 is offline  
Old 03-09-2012, 10:51 AM   #726
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,579
Re: Colts Officially Release Peyton Manning (QB Thread #11)

Honestly, if we were going to go the Orton/Tannehill route, I'd just assume not even bother with Orton and just keep Rex. You know it would probably cost the 'skins less, and personal opinion, I just don't see Orton as THAT much of an upgrade over Grossman.

Best case scenario, I'd rather the 'skins draft RGIII, keep Rex and let them battle for the starting job (in which we all know RGIII would eventually get) and replace Beck with Clausen.
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is online now  
Old 03-09-2012, 10:52 AM   #727
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 82,348
Re: Colts Officially Release Peyton Manning (QB Thread #11)

You don't give up a bunch of picks to move up to take a guy, and then proceed to sit him to start the season. If you believe in RGIII that much to give up all those picks, he's got to be your guy day 1 he enters the building.

Unless he's hurt, there's no reason he shouldn't be ready to play right away.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline  
Old 03-09-2012, 10:53 AM   #728
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,579
Re: Colts Officially Release Peyton Manning (QB Thread #11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
You don't give up a bunch of picks to move up to take a guy, and then proceed to sit him to start the season. If you believe in RGIII that much to give up all those picks, he's got to be your guy day 1 he enters the building.

Unless he's hurt, there's no reason he shouldn't be ready to play right away.
I agree, but I didn't think the Giants started Eli right away did they?
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is online now  
Old 03-09-2012, 10:55 AM   #729
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 82,348
Re: Colts Officially Release Peyton Manning (QB Thread #11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
I agree, but I didn't think the Giants started Eli right away did they?
They had Kurt Warner.

We have Rex Grossman.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline  
Old 03-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #730
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,579
Re: Colts Officially Release Peyton Manning (QB Thread #11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
They had Kurt Warner.

We have Rex Grossman.

LOL! Good point!
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is online now  
Old 03-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #731
Playmaker
 
freddyg12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,540
Re: Colts Officially Release Peyton Manning (QB Thread #11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
You don't give up a bunch of picks to move up to take a guy, and then proceed to sit him to start the season. If you believe in RGIII that much to give up all those picks, he's got to be your guy day 1 he enters the building.

Unless he's hurt, there's no reason he shouldn't be ready to play right away.
You also don't put a rookie in a position to fail. We've seen that Shanny won't play guys if they can't pass the playbook test. I'm certainly not saying that RGIII will not be a good student, I just think you have to acknowledge that a rookie QB faces a pretty steep learning curve. Sure, we can all look at Cam & big Ben as examples of great rookie years, but those are still the exception.

I'm willing to see Rex as starting qb until the rook is really ready. I would hope that would happen by mid season.
freddyg12 is offline  
Old 03-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #732
Playmaker
 
celts32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hackettstown NJ
Age: 43
Posts: 2,656
Re: Colts Officially Release Peyton Manning (QB Thread #11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
You don't give up a bunch of picks to move up to take a guy, and then proceed to sit him to start the season. If you believe in RGIII that much to give up all those picks, he's got to be your guy day 1 he enters the building.

Unless he's hurt, there's no reason he shouldn't be ready to play right away.
I agree completely but I think the fear comes from Shanny deciding to sit Cutler for like 6 or 7 games when he was a rookie. I would hope that Shanny would have in mind how quickly he envisions RG3 starting and tailoring the backup QB to that plan. At the end of the day I just want RG3 and I would still be happy if someone from this board was the backup.
__________________
Section 115 Row 23

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

http://victorybeer.com/
celts32 is offline  
Old 03-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #733
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 82,348
Re: Colts Officially Release Peyton Manning (QB Thread #11)

I'm just saying I don't see a reason why RGIII wouldn't be ready. He's extremely bright and talented. I just think it would be a disappointment if he's not ready to play right off the bat.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline  
Old 03-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #734
Playmaker
 
celts32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hackettstown NJ
Age: 43
Posts: 2,656
Re: Colts Officially Release Peyton Manning (QB Thread #11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I'm just saying I don't see a reason why RGIII wouldn't be ready. He's extremely bright and talented. I just think it would be a disappointment if he's not ready to play right off the bat.
Agree...RG3/Rex is probably fine.
__________________
Section 115 Row 23

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

http://victorybeer.com/
celts32 is offline  
Old 03-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #735
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,770
Re: Colts Officially Release Peyton Manning (QB Thread #11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by celts32 View Post
I personally have no problem with Rex starting the 1st couple games if say RG3 is not ready. However, I think Rex starting the home opener will create a bad vibe in the stadium that we don't really need as we start a new season. The boo birds and chants of RG3 are going to start at the 1st incompletion let alone interception. For that reason it's safer to just start fresh with all new QB's...
You are correct. If Griffin doesn't start day one, things will get ugly quickly.

But I think that Matty is right that Griffin starts day one.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.30247 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25