Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Griffin's impact on the off-season FA/draft

Redskins Locker Room


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 06:12 PM   #211
Playmaker
 
NYCskinfan82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Queens, NYC
Age: 44
Posts: 3,306
Re: Griffin's impact on the off-season FA/draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
Why do we keep having to repeat this? Are we fans really that Griffin drunk? Luck has been that #1 pick since 2009, nothings changed. Luck will be a Colt, Griffin will be a Redskin, EARTHQUAKE2689 will be a member of The Warpath, and Mattyk will be The Ego. Like it was meant to be.
You promise.
NYCskinfan82 is offline  

Advertisements
Old 03-26-2012, 06:25 PM   #212
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,015
We all know luck is going 1, the colts want a QB similar to the Manning style. Rg3 is all but guaranteed a redskin unless we make the worst draft decision in league history or something
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline  
Old 03-26-2012, 06:28 PM   #213
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 28
Posts: 14,146
Re: Griffin's impact on the off-season FA/draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardskin2982 View Post
Updated draft hopes

Round 1 RG3
Round 2 Mike Adams OT Ohio State
Round 3 Traded for 2nd round pick
Round 4 Traded for 2nd round pick
Round 4 Philip Blake C Blaylor
Round 5 Eddie Pleasant, SS Oregon
Round 6 Ryan Broyles WR Oklahoma
Round 7 Vontaze Burfict ILB Ariz St.

UDFA: Kellen Moore, QB Boise St.

I do want an explosive running back but not as much as I want to protect RGIII. We should resign Hightower, then grab our explosive RB next year.
__________________
Charlie: Okay. Take off your seat belt.
Alan: Why?
Charlie: Because when I slam on the brakes I want to watch you go through the windshield.
Dirtbag59 is offline  
Old 03-26-2012, 06:35 PM   #214
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 28
Posts: 14,146
Re: Griffin's impact on the off-season FA/draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Luck is going #1.

Bank on it.
I still don't see why this concept is so hard for people to understand. For the millionith time Luck is the most complete and dynamic prospect since John Elway. Almost any other year Griffin would be the top QB however in terms of QB prospects (again keyword 'prospects') Luck is basically the football equivalentof Jesus Christ come back to Earth.

Now what happens after draft day is a different story and I genuinely believe that Griffin can turn out better than Luck, but on draft day, when all that matters is the big board, Luck will be the top prospect for all 32 teams.
__________________
Charlie: Okay. Take off your seat belt.
Alan: Why?
Charlie: Because when I slam on the brakes I want to watch you go through the windshield.
Dirtbag59 is offline  
Old 03-26-2012, 06:48 PM   #215
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 25
Posts: 11,710
Re: Griffin's impact on the off-season FA/draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCskinfan82 View Post
You promise.


I promise.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline  
Old 03-26-2012, 07:13 PM   #216
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,098
Re: Griffin's impact on the off-season FA/draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
For the millionith time Luck is the most complete and dynamic prospect since John Elway. Almost any other year Griffin would be the top QB however in terms of QB prospects (again keyword 'prospects') Luck is basically the football equivalent of Jesus Christ come back to Earth.
By the same token, why is it hard for you to understand that the Kipers and McShays of the world aren't actual scouts.
But, even if they were actual scouts doesn't mean that scouts grade are correct.
All you're doing is listening to the media scouts you like and turning a blind ear to the media scouts you don't agree with (Cosell, Hodge).
Your actually turning a blind ear to some former NFL coaches and one of most well respected GM/scouts in the league in Tony Dungy and Gil Brandt.

False media scouting can lead to the perception of certain players as 'reaches' like Jake Locker even though it much more likely that actual team scouts rated Locker as the No.2 prospect behind Cam Newton all along.
And speaking of Cam Newton, he's a prime example of how wrong media scouting can be.
The media scouts tried to sell Blaine Gabbert as the no.1 QB and did a good job of selling Newton as an unworthy no.1 overall pick.
Good thing the actual scouts for the Panthers did their homework and got it right.
And I have a hard time believing that actual team scouts would rate Andrew Luck ahead of Cam Newton.

Andrew Luck's main attribute that would make him the no.1 prospect is a coachable intangible and many GM's say you draft for tangibles.
The theory is that you can coach/teach a Griffin or a Locker or a Newton to close the gap and equal if not surpass Luck the execution of a pro-style offense (which is his cheif advantage as a prospect) but you can't coach/teach Luck to have thier elite arm strength or elite athleticism.

Quote:
Luck will be the top prospect for all 32 teams.
I believe Luck is the top prospect for many teams because he's a safer pick and teams tend to go the safer route.
But, lets not act like Griffin skillset is so far away from Luck to preclude an honest discussion about which QB is no.1
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline  
Old 03-26-2012, 07:18 PM   #217
The Starter
 
REDSKINS4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Born and raised in D.C.....but I'm a New Yorker now....
Posts: 2,102
Re: Griffin's impact on the off-season FA/draft

Most mock drafts I've seen since the regular season ended had the Colts taking Andrew Luck and the Redskins drafting RG3. I've only seen one mock draft showing the opposite.
REDSKINS4ever is offline  
Old 03-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #218
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 28
Posts: 14,146
Re: Griffin's impact on the off-season FA/draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
By the same token, why is it hard for you to understand that the Kipers and McShays of the world aren't actual scouts.
But, even if they were actual scouts doesn't mean that scouts grade are correct.
All you're doing is listening to the media scouts you like and turning a blind ear to the media scouts you don't agree with (Cosell, Hodge).
Your actually turning a blind ear to some former NFL coaches and one of most well respected GM/scouts in the league in Tony Dungy and Gil Brandt.

False media scouting can lead to the perception of certain players as 'reaches' like Jake Locker even though it much more likely that actual team scouts rated Locker as the No.2 prospect behind Cam Newton all along.
And speaking of Cam Newton, he's a prime example of how wrong media scouting can be.
The media scouts tried to sell Blaine Gabbert as the no.1 QB and did a good job of selling Newton as an unworthy no.1 overall pick.
Good thing the actual scouts for the Panthers did their homework and got it right.
And I have a hard time believing that actual team scouts would rate Andrew Luck ahead of Cam Newton.

Andrew Luck's main attribute that would make him the no.1 prospect is a coachable intangible and many GM's say you draft for tangibles.
The theory is that you can coach/teach a Griffin or a Locker or a Newton to close the gap and equal if not surpass Luck the execution of a pro-style offense (which is his cheif advantage as a prospect) but you can't coach/teach Luck to have thier elite arm strength or elite athleticism.


I believe Luck is the top prospect for many teams because he's a safer pick and teams tend to go the safer route.
But, lets not act like Griffin skillset is so far away from Luck to preclude an honest discussion about which QB is no.1
Keep in mind that McShay and Kiper, as well as many other reporters who cover the draft are asking NFL scouts who the top QB is and many are hard pressed to find anyone in the NFL that would rank RG3 over Luck.

And yes part of it is Luck is the safer pick, a big part of that is durability compared to Griffin as well as experience in a pro style offense.

However we have to remember that 80% of the time throughout his career Luck was going to the line of scrimmage with 3 plays and regularly calling audibles and protections. Griffin did some of that, but not even close to the extent that Luck did and certainly not in a pro style system. To be able to do that in college is HUGE among NFL scouts, but its something few fans seem to know.

By the way I never said there was a huge difference in talent between Luck and RG3, in fact I've gone out of my way not to make any of those sort of declarations.

They're actually relatively close in terms of how NFL scouts are grading them based on what has been reported by the media, but it appears 99% of the time Luck is that top rated prospect. Short of a major injury it's foolish to think that Griffin will overtake Luck anytime soon as the top prospect. Now he'll have probably 10 years to prove he should have been the top pick in the 2012 draft but as of April 2012 with all the games played and all the interviews conducted, it's just not going to happen.
__________________
Charlie: Okay. Take off your seat belt.
Alan: Why?
Charlie: Because when I slam on the brakes I want to watch you go through the windshield.

Last edited by Dirtbag59; 03-26-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Dirtbag59 is offline  
Old 03-26-2012, 08:01 PM   #219
Playmaker
 
NYCskinfan82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Queens, NYC
Age: 44
Posts: 3,306
Re: Griffin's impact on the off-season FA/draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
I promise.
I will sleep so much better tonight.
NYCskinfan82 is offline  
Old 03-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #220
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,098
Re: Griffin's impact on the off-season FA/draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
However we have to remember that 80% of the time throughout his career Luck was going to the line of scrimmage with 3 plays and regularly calling audibles and protections. Griffin did some of that, but not even close to the extent that Luck did and certainly not in a pro style system.
Where do you get that 80% number from? If were gonna have a discussion that throws out figures we should have some source.
Because as closely as I follow college football I've never heard/read that number.
I have read that this year coach Shaw allowed Luck more freedom at the LOS then ever before.
But, that freedom isn't unique to Luck many pro-styles QBs like Russell Wilson and Ryan Tannehill have a LOS audible system.

Quote:
To be able to do that in college is HUGE among NFL scouts, but its something few fans seem to know
I think you overstate this point in the eyes of scouts.
Sure its very impressive that Luck given and able to handle that level of control at the LOS.
But, its also important to remember that those audibles were part of a system that was taught to him.
Its not an innate part of his skillset.
Like I was saying in the previous post a common scouting mantra is: you draft for tangibles.
Luck's main advantage is an intangible skills he learned because of the system Harbaugh installed at Stanford.
One could make the argument that Harbaugh superior (NFL caliber) coaching created a situation that gave Luck equal or better coaching then he'll receive in the NFL whereas all the other prospects are going to be exposed to the best coaching of their lives.
One could also argue this situation causes Luck to be closer to his potential and therefore has a lower ceiling then other top prospects.
On the whole being more 'pro-ready' is a relatively short lived advantage it may last a few years or it might not last through training camp.

Quote:
By the way I never said there was a huge difference in talent between Luck and RG3, in fact I've gone out of my way not to make any of those sort of declarations.
Then my mistake, but that is surely the implication that comes across in your posts when you attempt to shout down people who suggest that Griffin could go no.1.
If Luck and Griffin aren't far apart that why can't Griffin go no.1?

Quote:
Now he'll have probably 10 years to prove he should have been the top pick in the 2012 draft but as of April 2012 with all the games played and all the interviews conducted, it's just not going to happen.
How can believe they are close as prospects and at the same time claim its impossible that Griffin is being considered for the 1st pick?
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline  
Old 03-26-2012, 08:17 PM   #221
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,098
Re: Griffin's impact on the off-season FA/draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
For the millionith time Luck is the most complete and dynamic prospect since John Elway. Almost any other year Griffin would be the top QB however in terms of QB prospects (again keyword 'prospects')
Oh, btw I know Kiper keeps making the Luck/Elway comp. but can you compare them as prospects when Luck clearly lacks Elways arm talent?
Luck to me is a more athletic Matt Ryan.
If you wanna talk about over the top evaluations, you can stop at Cam Newton he's the best QB prospect I've ever seen.

BTW-
How did this thread turn into another Luck vs Griffin thread?
What of Griffin's impact on the offseason FA/draft?

If Burfict falls to the 7th round I'm drafting him all day.
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline  
Old 03-26-2012, 08:22 PM   #222
Impact Rookie
 
Jontrem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 608
Re: Griffin's impact on the off-season FA/draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post

If Burfict falls to the 7th round I'm drafting him all day.
i would too without a doubt. however comparisons (here and elsewhere) to Ray Lewis have got to stop, do you remember how fast Lewis was when he was in college? He was chasing down WRs back then seemed like and obviously his instincts were/are second to none.
Jontrem is offline  
Old 03-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #223
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 28
Posts: 14,146
Re: Griffin's impact on the off-season FA/draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
Where do you get that 80% number from? If were gonna have a discussion that throws out figures we should have some source.
Because as closely as I follow college football I've never heard/read that number.
I have read that this year coach Shaw allowed Luck more freedom at the LOS then ever before.
But, that freedom isn't unique to Luck many pro-styles QBs like Russell Wilson and Ryan Tannehill have a LOS audible system.
You're not going to like the answer, but First Draft Podcast with Mel Kiper and Todd McShay.

I'll have to go back but they got that either from talking to the Stanford coaching staff or NFL scouts.

Quote:
I think you overstate this point in the eyes of scouts.
Sure its very impressive that Luck given and able to handle that level of control at the LOS.
But, its also important to remember that those audibles were part of a system that was taught to him.
Its not an innate part of his skillset.
Like I was saying in the previous post a scouting mantra is: you draft for tangibles.
Luck's main advantage are skills he learned because of the system Harbaugh installed at Stanford.
One could make the argument that Harbaugh superior (NFL caliber) coaching created a situation that gave Luck equal or better coaching then he'll receive in the NFL whereas all the other prospects are going to be exposed to the best coaching of their lives.
One could also argue this situation causes Luck to be closer to his potential and therefore has a lower ceiling then other top prospects.
On the whole being more 'pro-ready' is a relatively short lived advantage it may last a few years or it might not last through training camp.
Part of being the better prospect on draft day is having that better floor. On top of that as stated before Griffin has torn an ACL and left a game with concussion like symptoms, Luck's only injury in college was a broken finger.

Who knows, maybe in NFL war rooms safer means better provided theres enough upside left to justify the evaluation.

Quote:
Then my mistake, but that is surely the implication that comes across in your posts when you attempt to shout down people who suggest that Griffin could go no.1.
Yeah, my whole angle with being a Luck apologist came about because there were a few people on this forum talking about how they were worried the Colts were going to take Luck over Griffin.

Ironically enough I hate being a Luck apologist because a lot of the time it sounds like I'm putting down Griffin, or in some cases that I don't even think he'll be a good NFL QB and that couldn't be further from the truth.


Quote:
If Luck and Griffin aren't far apart that why can't Griffin go no.1?

How can you claim there close as prospects and at the same time claim its impossible that Griffin is being considered for the 1st pick?
He could but everything I've heard and read suggest that virtually every scout has Luck as the undisputed number 1 prospect on the board. I'm not making my own judgement as an armchair scout, it's just that I can't find many places besides shock jocks that say Griffin over Luck. Greg Cossell is the most respectable opinion I can find on record that says Griffin is a better prospect then Luck, other then that it's slim pickins.

This segment from an article on SBNation basically sums up my opinion.

Yes, Andrew Luck Is Still A Better QB Prospect Than Robert Griffin III - Stampede Blue
Quote:
Andrew Luck has been the de facto No. 1 overall pick since December of 2009. It's just a boring, uncompelling fact. The Panthers would have taken him No. 1 overall last year over Cam Newton (yes, they would have Panthers fans), and if the Redskins had the No. 1 pick over the Colts this year, they too would take Luck. There's a reason that pretty much every scout and talent evaluation expert says Luck is No. 1:
__________________
Charlie: Okay. Take off your seat belt.
Alan: Why?
Charlie: Because when I slam on the brakes I want to watch you go through the windshield.
Dirtbag59 is offline  
Old 03-26-2012, 08:41 PM   #224
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,098
Re: Griffin's impact on the off-season FA/draft

These aren't some unknown scouts telling Kiper and McShay these are actual NFL decision makers.

There are others but when it comes to credibility does it get any better then Gil Brandt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Brandt
The workout that Robert Griffin III had Wednesday at Baylor was outstanding. I’m not sure whether he or Andrew Luck should be the No. 1 overall draft pick.

How about the guy that actually coached and won a superbowl w/ Peyton Manning? (btw did you know that Dungy was a college QB?)

Quote:
Dungy, though, thinks RGIII, the Heisman Trophy winner from Baylor who has yet to announce his draft plans, brings more to the game. On Dan Patrick’s radio show, he said he is “not sure you have to have the can't-miss guy.” He admits he’d take Aaron Rodgers over Tom Brady and Drew Brees because of “the pressure he puts on defenses with his running ability.”
“I like those mobile guys,” Dungy told Patrick, saying he thinks they supply an “extra dimension....they are intriguing to me...I like Robert Griffin.”
Tony Dungy would take Robert Griffin III over Andrew Luck - The Early Lead - The Washington Post
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline  
Old 03-26-2012, 08:50 PM   #225
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 28
Posts: 14,146
Re: Griffin's impact on the off-season FA/draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
These aren't some unknown scouts telling Kiper and McShay these are actual NFL decision makers.

There are others but when it comes to credibility does it get any better then Gil Brandt?




How about the guy that actually coached and won a superbowl w/ Peyton Manning? (btw did you know that Dungy was a college QB?)


Tony Dungy would take Robert Griffin III over Andrew Luck - The Early Lead - The Washington Post
Well technically Brandt didn't say Griffin over Luck, he just alluded to it, and to make such a declaration due to a workout, especially the day before Lucks workout would undermine his credibility.

Dungy, I give you Dungy, that certainly counts as a respectable opinion but for the sake of this debate I'm going to play my "Dungy is a defensive guy" card.
__________________
Charlie: Okay. Take off your seat belt.
Alan: Why?
Charlie: Because when I slam on the brakes I want to watch you go through the windshield.
Dirtbag59 is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.36112 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25