Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


2012 NFL Free Agency Tracker

Redskins Locker Room


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #301
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 28
Posts: 16,636
Wow Dallas way overpaid for carr
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline  

Advertisements
Old 03-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #302
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,489
Re: 2012 NFL Free Agency Tracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Cowboys add Vickers and Carr
Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter

Cowboys sign CB Brandon Carr to a 5-year, $50.1 million deal




hahaha...10mil/yr for Carr???
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline  
Old 03-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #303
Fire Bruce NOW
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 11,434
Re: 2012 NFL Free Agency Tracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
b) was my point. Orton and Campbell were not-bottom-10 QBs last year who have already taken backup money (and in Campbell's case, a shot at the market next season). Garrard might go two weeks without a phone call (it's been like two months already). McNabb might not get a text until June, when Miami is that desperate.

And Flynn might have to re-up with Green Bay if Miami isn't willing to make him their starter.

The Flynn saga is interesting because two reports from his camp suggested that: 1) he's getting interest from Miami and Seattle and 2) he's getting interest from Cleveland and Miami. Ergo, the only interest he's actually getting is Miami. But you always need to give the impression of a second suitor.

Flynn might end up back as GB's backup in 2012 on a one year deal in the Campbell range for money.
C'mon GTripp. Are you really going to use DMac and Garrard as barometers for whether or not there is a market for QB's?

Orton and JC (at least after Palmer showed up) were both backups last year. To me it is therefore unremarkable that they signed as backups this year. Your argument would be stronger if it were someone like Flacco who could only get a backup gig.
__________________
Bruce Allen when in charge alone: 4-12 (.250)
Bruce Allen's overall Redskins record : 28-52 (.350)
Vinny Cerrato's record when in charge alone: 52-65 (.444)
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline  
Old 03-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #304
Playmaker
 
Alvin Walton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Holland, Michigan
Posts: 4,613
Re: 2012 NFL Free Agency Tracker

Gints get a TE.

Giants sign TE Martellus Bennett

Edit....looks like Monkeydude already reported this.
__________________
REDSKINS FAN SINCE 1968
Alvin Walton is offline  
Old 03-14-2012, 04:20 PM   #305
The Starter
 
vallin21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vienna Va
Posts: 1,029
Re: 2012 NFL Free Agency Tracker

Cowboys overspent for Carr... he's not worth 10 mil per
vallin21 is offline  
Old 03-14-2012, 04:20 PM   #306
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 27
Posts: 15,994
Re: 2012 NFL Free Agency Tracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
C'mon GTripp. Are you really going to use DMac and Garrard as barometers for whether or not there is a market for QB's?

Orton and JC (at least after Palmer showed up) were both backups last year. To me it is therefore unremarkable that they signed as backups this year. Your argument would be stronger if it were someone like Flacco who could only get a backup gig.
They are a part of the available veteran QB market, so, yes, interest in them would be dependent on the strength of the market overall.

Flynn was also a backup last year, which would make it very remarkable that anyone who didn't finish the year as the no. 1 guy in their organization isn't finding a no. 1 job this year. If he goes from GB to Miami/Seattle, that's one guy moving up the chain, and Henne to Seattle/Jacksonville might make a second.

Last year Tavaris Jackson and Rex Grossman got starting jobs. They had to compete, sure, but the competition wasn't exactly mind numbing. It seems inarguable to say the market isn't strong as it was last year, at least . And I would go as far as saying that there's basically no interest in (defined by competition to sign) capable QBs.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline  
Old 03-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #307
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 85,185
Re: 2012 NFL Free Agency Tracker

Well, we know of at least 2 teams that will be addressing their starting QB situation via the draft.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline  
Old 03-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #308
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,270
Re: 2012 NFL Free Agency Tracker

The last few offseasons have been very bad for Dallas. They're definitely on a decline.

They're probably destined for last-place finish in the division.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline  
Old 03-14-2012, 04:26 PM   #309
Playmaker
 
NYCskinfan82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Queens, NYC
Age: 45
Posts: 3,538
Re: 2012 NFL Free Agency Tracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
The last few offseasons have been very bad for Dallas. They're definitely on a decline.

They're probably destined for last-place finish in the division.
Let's not say that to soon IMO. You are probably right.
NYCskinfan82 is offline  
Old 03-14-2012, 04:26 PM   #310
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 27
Posts: 15,994
Re: 2012 NFL Free Agency Tracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Well, we know of at least 2 teams that will be addressing their starting QB situation via the draft.
It's probably more like six, at least by my count.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline  
Old 03-14-2012, 04:28 PM   #311
Finally... The Offseason!!

 
CrazyCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,907
Re: 2012 NFL Free Agency Tracker

Finnegan to the Rams:

Rams agree to terms with CB Cortland Finnegan - NFL - Yahoo! Sports
CrazyCanuck is offline  
Old 03-14-2012, 04:28 PM   #312
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,270
Re: 2012 NFL Free Agency Tracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCskinfan82 View Post
Let's not say that to soon IMO. You are probably right.
Their cap space was next to nothing before blowing their load on Carr.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline  
Old 03-14-2012, 04:45 PM   #313
The Starter
 
REDSKINS4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 2,249
Re: 2012 NFL Free Agency Tracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallin21 View Post
Cowboys overspent for Carr... he's not worth 10 mil per
And Jerry Jones will find that out when Carr is getting scorched consistently. For what it's worth, they could have agreed to a one year deal to re-sign Terrence Newman.
REDSKINS4ever is offline  
Old 03-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #314
Gamebreaker
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 38
Posts: 13,311
Re: 2012 NFL Free Agency Tracker

Carr? that dude cant hold RG3 down. Cowboys in for a rude awaking come next season.
__________________
“Nobody’s going to be handed a job; not my standpoint, and I know Jay feels that way and I know Bruce feels the same way. You have to earn it. That’s what the NFL is about. Prove to me that you deserve to be on the field,’ and that’s the way it has to be in the NFL.”- McC
Chico23231 is offline  
Old 03-14-2012, 04:57 PM   #315
Fire Bruce NOW
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 11,434
Re: 2012 NFL Free Agency Tracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
They are a part of the available veteran QB market, so, yes, interest in them would be dependent on the strength of the market overall.

Flynn was also a backup last year, which would make it very remarkable that anyone who didn't finish the year as the no. 1 guy in their organization isn't finding a no. 1 job this year. If he goes from GB to Miami/Seattle, that's one guy moving up the chain, and Henne to Seattle/Jacksonville might make a second.

Last year Tavaris Jackson and Rex Grossman got starting jobs. They had to compete, sure, but the competition wasn't exactly mind numbing. It seems inarguable to say the market isn't strong as it was last year, at least . And I would go as far as saying that there's basically no interest in (defined by competition to sign) capable QBs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
It's probably more like six, at least by my count.
You and I don't disagree on the facts but we do disagree on their meaning.

Your original point was that there is not a shortage of quality QB's in the NFL. Yet by your own admission:
1) Jackson and Grossman both were starters last year
2) as many as 6 teams seek rookie starters this year

To me these facts say that there is, in fact, a shortage of quality quarterbacks in the NFL. Otherwise things would shake out differently. If there were no shortage of quality QB's, every team in theory could have quality QB play, but we know that this is not the case.

As for Flynn, the fact that he is not being sought by many teams as an instant starter may reflect the fact that Kolb, Cassel, and others have failed to make the backup-to-starter transition smoothly. If this perspective is correct, it further supports the argument that there is a shortage of quality QBs in the NFL.
__________________
Bruce Allen when in charge alone: 4-12 (.250)
Bruce Allen's overall Redskins record : 28-52 (.350)
Vinny Cerrato's record when in charge alone: 52-65 (.444)
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.34028 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25