Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


How will our defense hold up next year?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 10:14 PM   #61
Impact Rookie
 
ethat001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 719
Re: How will our defense hold up next year?

2011 Reg Season:
32nd defense - Green Bay Packers
31st defense - New England Patriots
27th defense - New York Giants
24th defense - New Orleans Saints
13th defense - Washington Redskins

2011 Offenses
1) New Orleans Saints
2) New England Patriots
3) Green Bay Packers
8) New York Giants
16) Washington Redskins

2011 Defense Rankings



Okay, clearly there's always talk about defense winning championships. And defense is clearly important and we need to address this. BUT before we get carried away, our defense was GOOD ENOUGH to compete with the top teams in the league above.

The more important point is, our offense is traditionally what has lost games. And the risky moves for #1 picks and overpaying WR's -- I believe they were well spent for high risk-high reward franchise QB and #1-2 WR. I would say that RG3-Garcon will do more for our team than the best secondary in the planet. For example, if we became the best defense in the league, we'd give up 8 less points per game. If we became the best offense in the league, we'd score 17 more points per game, much more impact.


* Baltimore, San Francisco and Denver had great defenses, but inevitably collapsed

Last edited by ethat001; 03-15-2012 at 10:21 PM.
ethat001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-15-2012, 10:16 PM   #62
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,104
We were the 16th ranked offense with Rex ad beck. Imagine what RGIII will do
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:57 PM   #63
Special Teams
 
fanarchist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 106
Re: How will our defense hold up next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Yes, that fanarchist guy who ad nauseum made the brilliant argument, "Beck couldn't be worse than Grossman." That guy was certainly proven correct.
Haha! The blossom is still losing his pedals, and relativity is still a labyrinth to be navigated.
fanarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:08 PM   #64
The Starter
 
44Deezel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Davidsonville
Posts: 1,660
Re: How will our defense hold up next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinster View Post
It seems to me like we lost ALOT of our defense. Being 21st in pts and 24th in turnovers last year, its not like its a solid rock for us to fall back on before we started losing guys.

Landry, Atogwe, and (looks like) Fletcher/Rocky are gone. I'd say Deangelo will be cut as well if we manage to sign another Free Agent...which it seems we are looking to do. But not just any free agents, it seems like we're looking more for offensive players as we are targeting eddie royal, pushing hard for Grubbs, and looking at Winston/others.

I hope we somehow find the cap space to fix this without pushing too much money into the future, but it's not looking likely (especially if we get another offensive FA). I think that its even worse that every position we have of need is a pass coverage position. We are in need of 2 starting safeties, a coverage LB, and IMO at least one corner.

Any thoughts/solutions on this matter? If you offer a solution via free agents, please try to look at our cap situation first while taking into account we also have to give RGIII a few million.
If the Offense is better, the Defense will be better. The strength of our Defense is the front 7. Kerrigan should be better, Orakpo as well and Jenkins will be back. If our Offense can get a lead and put other teams in obvious passing situations, the sack and turnover numbers should go up. We're not going to have studs at every position. No one does. The Giants secondary wasn't very good, but they had an Offense that controlled the clock and put points on the board and they got to the other team's QB.

Our Defense will be fine as long as the Offense doesn't constantly put them in bad situations like it did last year and as long as our front 7 can stay healthy.
__________________
I am a system poster.
44Deezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:10 PM   #65
The Starter
 
44Deezel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Davidsonville
Posts: 1,660
Re: How will our defense hold up next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethat001 View Post
2011 Reg Season:
32nd defense - Green Bay Packers
31st defense - New England Patriots
27th defense - New York Giants
24th defense - New Orleans Saints
13th defense - Washington Redskins

2011 Offenses
1) New Orleans Saints
2) New England Patriots
3) Green Bay Packers
8) New York Giants
16) Washington Redskins

2011 Defense Rankings



Okay, clearly there's always talk about defense winning championships. And defense is clearly important and we need to address this. BUT before we get carried away, our defense was GOOD ENOUGH to compete with the top teams in the league above.

The more important point is, our offense is traditionally what has lost games. And the risky moves for #1 picks and overpaying WR's -- I believe they were well spent for high risk-high reward franchise QB and #1-2 WR. I would say that RG3-Garcon will do more for our team than the best secondary in the planet. For example, if we became the best defense in the league, we'd give up 8 less points per game. If we became the best offense in the league, we'd score 17 more points per game, much more impact.


* Baltimore, San Francisco and Denver had great defenses, but inevitably collapsed
What he just said. Although San Fran was done in by one guy on special teams and Baltimore had a Lee Evans/kicker problem
__________________
I am a system poster.
44Deezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:13 PM   #66
The Starter
 
44Deezel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Davidsonville
Posts: 1,660
Re: How will our defense hold up next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
Our defense will be interesting next year with almost a new secondary. If we keep Fletcher I like our chances to be better. Jarvis Jenkins being healthy will be interesting if he's anything like his rookie year. The dude better be wearing a knee brace on both knees. It alose depends on Griffin, because if he is anything close to as advertised, that makes our Team better cause the defense will be more motivated.
Motivated? How about more rested? 2 turnovers a game by their own QB is about the worst thing the Defense had to deal with. I'd temper the expectations for RGIIi as a rookie though. There are going to be growing pains.
__________________
I am a system poster.
44Deezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:18 PM   #67
Special Teams
 
fanarchist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 106
Re: How will our defense hold up next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
So where have you been for the past 5 months?
Are questions like this intended to gauge devotion, and loyalty? And then when you infer that I'm disloyal does my voice lose all volume? Seems like a very domineering approach to human interaction.
fanarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:22 PM   #68
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,753
Re: How will our defense hold up next year?

Or maybe he was just sayin', hey where you been?
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:27 PM   #69
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: How will our defense hold up next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinster View Post
...Any thoughts/solutions on this matter? If you offer a solution via free agents, please try to look at our cap situation first while taking into account we also have to give RGIII a few million.
o Re-sign Fletcher

o Sign another sign another Free Agent
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:30 PM   #70
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,753
Re: How will our defense hold up next year?

I think it's a little premature to be down on the D.

LL and Atogwe were hardly on the field last year, so is there really much of a loss there?

Still a good chance Fletcher returns.

Jenkins is back, that's a plus.

Hall is still here last I checked.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:33 PM   #71
Special Teams
 
fanarchist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 106
Re: How will our defense hold up next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Or maybe he was just sayin', hey where you been?
You're right Matty. I'm sure that's all he was saying. We're such close friends he wants to know what's been happening in my personal life over the past 5 months. He can just send me a private message, and we'll catch up on all of my wild worldly adventures.
fanarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:38 PM   #72
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,753
Re: How will our defense hold up next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanarchist View Post
You're right Matty. I'm sure that's all he was saying. We're such close friends he wants to know what's been happening in my personal life over the past 5 months. He can just send me a private message, and we'll catch up on all of my wild worldly adventures.
So are you back to bang the Beck drum some more?

Don't worry, a lot of us were wrong on that one.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:50 PM   #73
Special Teams
 
fanarchist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 106
Re: How will our defense hold up next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
So are you back to bang the Beck drum some more?

Don't worry, a lot of us were wrong on that one.
It had a very harmonious tone before they cracked the shell.
fanarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:50 PM   #74
Pro Bowl
 
SirClintonPortis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,052
Re: How will our defense hold up next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Deezel View Post
Motivated? How about more rested? 2 turnovers a game by their own QB is about the worst thing the Defense had to deal with. I'd temper the expectations for RGIIi as a rookie though. There are going to be growing pains.
Rest is a minor factor compared to playing with the lead. After all, if 2 extra minutes of playing is already exhausting your players....something is amiss.
__________________
Analysis using datasets (aka stats) is an attempt at reverse-engineering a player's "goodness".

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:52 PM   #75
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,278
Re: How will our defense hold up next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethat001 View Post
2011 Reg Season:
32nd defense - Green Bay Packers
31st defense - New England Patriots
27th defense - New York Giants
24th defense - New Orleans Saints
13th defense - Washington Redskins

2011 Offenses
1) New Orleans Saints
2) New England Patriots
3) Green Bay Packers
8) New York Giants
16) Washington Redskins

2011 Defense Rankings



Okay, clearly there's always talk about defense winning championships. And defense is clearly important and we need to address this. BUT before we get carried away, our defense was GOOD ENOUGH to compete with the top teams in the league above.

The more important point is, our offense is traditionally what has lost games. And the risky moves for #1 picks and overpaying WR's -- I believe they were well spent for high risk-high reward franchise QB and #1-2 WR. I would say that RG3-Garcon will do more for our team than the best secondary in the planet. For example, if we became the best defense in the league, we'd give up 8 less points per game. If we became the best offense in the league, we'd score 17 more points per game, much more impact.


* Baltimore, San Francisco and Denver had great defenses, but inevitably collapsed
very good point.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.29555 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25