Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Jerry Porter will test free agent waters

Redskins Locker Room


View Poll Results: You're Dan Snyder, which free agent WR do you go after?
Plaxico Burress 7 63.64%
Jerry Porter 1 9.09%
other (explain) 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2005, 01:34 PM   #16
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
Porter's upside is much higher than Gardner's. He really broke out once Kerry Collins took over. Didn't he convert to WR from QB or something? He's still coming in to his own at the position.
How do you figure his upside is bigger? I don't think he converted from QB. I think you're thinking of Ronald Curry.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-11-2005, 01:38 PM   #17
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown
I don't think that is how we should view this. Is he an upgrade over Gardner is the real question?
Look at their respective seasons this year:

Porter: 64 catches, 998 yards and 9 TD's. 17 catches from 20 yards or more, 5 from 40 or more.

Gardner: 51 catches, 650 yards and 5 TD's. 7 catches from 20 yards or more, 3 from 40 or more.

They're both similar as far as size, but Porter is faster and more of big play guy. Anybody remember when he lit up Champ Bailey for 135 yards and 3 scores?

I'm not saying I necessarily want him, but if given the choice of Porter or Burress I think I would lean towards Porter. And given the choice of Porter or Thrash/Jacobs, definitely Porter. Thrash is a solid #3/4 and is great on special teams, but he's not starting quality as we saw from his time in Philly. I like Jacobs potential but he's a total unknown at this point.
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 01:44 PM   #18
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by smootsmack
How do you figure his upside is bigger? I don't think he converted from QB. I think you're thinking of Ronald Curry.
Yeah I was probably thinking of Curry.

Looks like Porter did a bit of everything in college:

COLLEGE: Lettered three seasons at West Virginia...All-Big East Conference selection as an all-purpose back...Saw action as a free safety in the first five games, filled in as an emergency quarterback vs. Rutgers and then finished the second half of the season as a flanker...Recorded 28 tackles with a 68-yard interception return for a touchdown and a pass deflection...Caused a fumble and had a stop for a 4-yard loss...Also blocked a kick...Fifth on the team with 15 receptions for 311 yards (20.7 avg.) and four touchdowns...Gained 52 yards on six carries (8.7 avg)...Completed 3 of 6 passes (50.0 percent) for 20 yards...Also had a 16-yard kickoff return...Opened the season with 5 tackles, including one for a 4-yard loss against East Carolina and in the next week against Miami of Ohio, blocked a punt, returned an interception 68 yards for a touchdown and posted 8 tackles...Caught 3 passes for 64 yards, including a 44-yarder that set up game-winning score in a 20-17 decision over Temple...Vs. Miami, grabbed 5 passes for 75 yards, including a 43-yard touchdown on opening drive...Closed out his career by hauling in 3 passes for 139 yards with touchdowns of 77 and 54 yards against Pittsburgh...As a junior, All-Big East Conference selection after starting every game at free safety...In on 63 tackles with five interceptions and five passes defensed...Gained 129 yards on eight kickoff returns (16.1 avg)...Recovered an onside kickoff, returning the ball 29 yards, deflected a pass and came up with 12 tackles against Ohio State...Posted three straight six-tackle performances - against Rutgers, Miami of Florida and Temple...Appeared in every game, seeing action at free safety and flanker as a sophomore...Caught 13 passes for 280 yards and three touchdowns...Recorded 10 tackles...Gained 33 yards on 3 catches and blocked a field goal, which he recovered in the third overtime against Pitt...Vs. Georgia Tech in Carquest Bowl, hauled in 4 passes for 124 yards with touchdowns of 74 and 21 yards, and made 3 tackles...Also a member of the West Virginia Track team running in the 50- and 60-meter and also participating in the long jump...Ran indoor track as well...Education major.
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 02:15 PM   #19
Fight for old DC!
 
Redskins_P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Falls Church, VA
Age: 36
Posts: 4,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
Yeah I was probably thinking of Curry.

Looks like Porter did a bit of everything in college:

COLLEGE: Lettered three seasons at West Virginia...All-Big East Conference selection as an all-purpose back...Saw action as a free safety in the first five games, filled in as an emergency quarterback vs. Rutgers and then finished the second half of the season as a flanker...Recorded 28 tackles with a 68-yard interception return for a touchdown and a pass deflection...Caused a fumble and had a stop for a 4-yard loss...Also blocked a kick...Fifth on the team with 15 receptions for 311 yards (20.7 avg.) and four touchdowns...Gained 52 yards on six carries (8.7 avg)...Completed 3 of 6 passes (50.0 percent) for 20 yards...Also had a 16-yard kickoff return...Opened the season with 5 tackles, including one for a 4-yard loss against East Carolina and in the next week against Miami of Ohio, blocked a punt, returned an interception 68 yards for a touchdown and posted 8 tackles...Caught 3 passes for 64 yards, including a 44-yarder that set up game-winning score in a 20-17 decision over Temple...Vs. Miami, grabbed 5 passes for 75 yards, including a 43-yard touchdown on opening drive...Closed out his career by hauling in 3 passes for 139 yards with touchdowns of 77 and 54 yards against Pittsburgh...As a junior, All-Big East Conference selection after starting every game at free safety...In on 63 tackles with five interceptions and five passes defensed...Gained 129 yards on eight kickoff returns (16.1 avg)...Recovered an onside kickoff, returning the ball 29 yards, deflected a pass and came up with 12 tackles against Ohio State...Posted three straight six-tackle performances - against Rutgers, Miami of Florida and Temple...Appeared in every game, seeing action at free safety and flanker as a sophomore...Caught 13 passes for 280 yards and three touchdowns...Recorded 10 tackles...Gained 33 yards on 3 catches and blocked a field goal, which he recovered in the third overtime against Pitt...Vs. Georgia Tech in Carquest Bowl, hauled in 4 passes for 124 yards with touchdowns of 74 and 21 yards, and made 3 tackles...Also a member of the West Virginia Track team running in the 50- and 60-meter and also participating in the long jump...Ran indoor track as well...Education major.

Just by reading that it looks like Porter would be a good fit in New England! He could take Troy Browns spot on offense, defense, and special teams.

Wow, I never knew he did so much in college!
Redskins_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 02:24 PM   #20
What will Shanny do this offseason?
 
diehardskin2982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,318
Porter is good, he may come for a cheaper $ than what u expect. He just wants to leave the Raiders, it similar to Champ because champ seemed not to care what we offered him he wanted to leave. I personly would draft williams and go after givens from the pats. I like porter he' s a great guy but I want a rookie youth to come in so they'll be here for more than just 2 years

he's an awesome athelet though i remember one year he went to a Giants benefit and hit a homer in MLB park, he has pure athletic talent
__________________
That got ugly fast
diehardskin2982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 04:23 PM   #21
The Starter
 
jamf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Diego Ca
Posts: 2,338
what the hell, is it fair just to compair porters best year to gardners worst year?

look at the whole pictures:
porter 5 year career ******** gardner 4 year career
32 games started ******* 62 games started
163 receptions ******* 227 receptions
2273 yards receiving ******* 2997 yards
19 TD's. ****** 22 tds.

whats so special about this guy again?
alot of you guys critisized gardner for being in the league 4 years and not developing,why arent you saying the same about porter and is 5 year career? hell, he even learned under brown and rice.

another thing, 20 MILLION DOLLARS!!!! where are all the guys that kept saying dont bring in anyone for big money? 5 million a year isnt breaking the bank but considering porters production, its alot of money to gamble on him "maturing".

thrash and jacobs are alot faster than porter. i would rather have them give it a go because we have nothing to lose with them.


btw sorry for the stats formating
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 04:29 PM   #22
Robert Griffin III
 
Monksdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Leesburg, VA
Age: 33
Posts: 1,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
Look at their respective seasons this year:

Porter: 64 catches, 998 yards and 9 TD's. 17 catches from 20 yards or more, 5 from 40 or more.

Gardner: 51 catches, 650 yards and 5 TD's. 7 catches from 20 yards or more, 3 from 40 or more.

They're both similar as far as size, but Porter is faster and more of big play guy. Anybody remember when he lit up Champ Bailey for 135 yards and 3 scores?

I'm not saying I necessarily want him, but if given the choice of Porter or Burress I think I would lean towards Porter. And given the choice of Porter or Thrash/Jacobs, definitely Porter. Thrash is a solid #3/4 and is great on special teams, but he's not starting quality as we saw from his time in Philly. I like Jacobs potential but he's a total unknown at this point.
Did you honestly say Porter over Burress? Are you joking? Burress is 5 inches taller and nearly as fast with excellent hands. And I think he's younger. Listen guys, we can stack our entire wide receiving corp with shorties if you would like to. but that's not going to showcase Patrick's arm at all. Come on. The reason we had gardner was because of his size. You need one tall wide out. Porter, and Alstott stink.
__________________
Robert Griffin III
Monksdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 08:49 PM   #23
Special Teams
 
Shane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 277
What is the lesson you get from the New England Patriots? Going for team first players who work together - unselfishly - is the key. The team is more than the sum of the alleged talent of the parts.

So, if you get me first whiners who want to be catered to and given special treatment, you have a nursery school and not a football team.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...PGQVB8O8P1.DTL

From the SF Chronicle:

Porter conceded the Raiders' contract offer is very fair. "That's great money -- definitely more than I played for ($598,500 in '04)," said Porter. "But at the same time, why didn't they do this in October, when they knew I was going to become a free agent?''

His dissatisfaction with the organization dates back to the 2003 season, specifically the chaos that surrounded the season finale in San Diego, during which then-coach Bill Callahan dismissed cornerback Charles Woodson and running back Charlie Garner prior to the game for missing a team meeting the night before.

"There was a whole lot of nonsense that went into it, but that was the point where I just became, whatever happens, happens, I'm going to do the best for me now,'' said Porter, who also was infuriated by reports in October that the Raiders were open to trade offers for him....

..."I don't know how much longer I'm going to play. I could get a career-threatening injury and be out of football in no time."
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 11:57 PM   #24
Pro Bowl
 
SKINSnCANES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: New Jersey
Age: 32
Posts: 5,421
Porter just wants a big contract to get money and doesnt care about who he plays for, we dont need him in DC. And I dont know why everyone keeps saying they would rather have him than Plax. The cheapest, and perhaps best option at wide receiver would be Mike Williams.
__________________
"I'm used to winning, coming from the University of Miami. " Clinton Portis
SKINSnCANES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 04:54 AM   #25
Special Teams
 
Shane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 277
Porter may be headed to Philadelphia

Porter may be headed to Philadelphia...

Key Free Agents Ready To hit The Market
By Scout.Com
Date: Feb 9, 2005

The Raiders have a few keynote unrestricted free agents that will hit the market on March 2 unless the team reaches a contract agreement with them before hand. The two marquee players are cornerback Charles Woodson and wide receiver Jerry Porter.

Scout.com has learned that the Philadelphia Eagles have strong interest in soon to be unrestricted free agent wide receiver Jerry Porter. Porter, a Oakland Raider since he was selected in the second round in the 2000 NFL draft, will become a free agent on March 2 unless the team reaches a contract agreement with him before hand. Porter reached a playing time clause in his contract which has allowed him to void the final year of his contract.

Porter's agent Joel Segal had contract talks over the last month or so with the team but no deal is imminent. Porter said after their final game of the season that he would give the Raiders a chance to re-sign him.

The Eagles are looking for a young physical receiver that can also make catches down field and Porter fits the bill. The team, we're told, has liked Porter for years. Philadelphia has ample room under the salary cap (around $17-$18 million) to sign a few impact free agents so they would be able to sign Porter a lucrative deal while being able to pursue other name free agents.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 08:49 AM   #26
The Starter
 
wolfeskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: chesapeake,va.
Posts: 2,160
i really don't like porter and i'm not exactly sure why but i say the skins would be better off without him.
wolfeskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 10:43 AM   #27
Playmaker
 
skinsfanthru&thru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 34
Posts: 3,720
comparing career stats between gardner and porter is a bit of a farce in my opinion because for one thing didn't porter miss quite a bit of time a year ago because of an injury and correct me if I'm mistaken but for the early part of his career he played 3rd string because there were some guys named Jerry Rice and Tim Brown ahead of him on the depth chart. Despite that he finished 2002, his first year with decent playing time, with 50+ catches, 650+ yards, and 9 TDs. Garnder has been the number one or two recieving threat for the skins since he arrived so of course his career numbers and games started will be quite a bit higher than Porter but then again Gardner didn't have 2 future first ballot HOF wrs to compete with for playing time and looks either.

between the two big free agent wrs this year, I'd be happy with both if they come at somewhat of a similar price, but I think Buress would better compliment Coles a lot better than Gardner cuz Buress has shown himself to be a legitimate consistent deep threat with his hands also being a notch or 2 better than Gardners. For me it all depends on the price and if that story about porter going to phili is true then that's a pretty big step up for them from "the people's chump" and gator arms. of course I'd also like to hear how the up coming draftees do at the combine but that happen before free agency does it?
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 11:42 AM   #28
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,855
ESPN Insider now has the 2005 Free Agent Profiles up, here's what they have on Burress and Porter.

Plaxico Burress
Grade: 84
Burress possesses a great combination of size and speed but he has yet to maximize his potential and can be inconsistent at times. He has very good, deceptive speed for his size and is a vertical threat on every snap. He has rare height and can adjust to the ball while it's in the air and is capable of making acrobatic catches in traffic. He does a nice job of using his hands at the line of scrimmage and has the upper body strength to consistently get a clean release when working against press coverage and rarely gets muscled around. Provides a big target on slant routes and skinny posts and does a great job of shielding the ball from the defender. Will catch the ball over the middle and has proven to be a tough receiver in traffic. However, Burress has not been a consistent "pro", will take plays off and has not become the great red zone threat that he should be. He lacks a great work ethic and does not play hard on every snap, particularly if he is not the primary target. He will display bad body language if things aren't going his way and the look on his face is worth a thousand words. He is not yet a polished route runner and often just gets by with his imposing size and strength. He will drop some passes that he should catch and occasionally turns up field before securing the ball. He is an inconsistent blocker and does not always give great effort in this area and considering his size, he should be a dominant blocker. His physical presence and playmaking ability create some mismatches, but he has not possessed the commitment and focus of the elite receivers in the league.

Jerry Porter
Grade: 75
Porter has good speed, he shows a second gear when tracking the ball and he has the leaping ability to compete for jump balls downfield. He shows adequate awareness and he does a nice job of locating balls thrown over shoulder. He reads defenses fairly well and he generally locates the soft spots in zone coverage. He has the upper body strength to maintain separation from defenders, he has the quick feet to avoid contact and he rarely gets caught up at the line of scrimmage. However, he isn't a great short-to-intermediate route runner and he still drops some passes that he should catch. His footwork is inconsistent and he doesn't show great doubles moves. He will look upfield before securing the ball at times and he needs to show better focus. Overall, he isn't a sharp route-runner and he is inconsistent but he is a playmaker with excellent natural ability.
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 01:36 PM   #29
Thank You, Sean.
 
Gmanc711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Age: 28
Posts: 7,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane
Porter may be headed to Philadelphia...

Key Free Agents Ready To hit The Market
By Scout.Com
Date: Feb 9, 2005

The Raiders have a few keynote unrestricted free agents that will hit the market on March 2 unless the team reaches a contract agreement with them before hand. The two marquee players are cornerback Charles Woodson and wide receiver Jerry Porter.

Scout.com has learned that the Philadelphia Eagles have strong interest in soon to be unrestricted free agent wide receiver Jerry Porter. Porter, a Oakland Raider since he was selected in the second round in the 2000 NFL draft, will become a free agent on March 2 unless the team reaches a contract agreement with him before hand. Porter reached a playing time clause in his contract which has allowed him to void the final year of his contract.

Porter's agent Joel Segal had contract talks over the last month or so with the team but no deal is imminent. Porter said after their final game of the season that he would give the Raiders a chance to re-sign him.

The Eagles are looking for a young physical receiver that can also make catches down field and Porter fits the bill. The team, we're told, has liked Porter for years. Philadelphia has ample room under the salary cap (around $17-$18 million) to sign a few impact free agents so they would be able to sign Porter a lucrative deal while being able to pursue other name free agents.

I'll tell you what, if he goes to Philly, they are going to have one of the leagues most dangerous reciving cores. TO, Porter and the new kid Greg Lewis, would be a pretty nasty combo. I hope Porter dosent go to Philledalphia.

I wouldnt mind having Porter here, or Burress, but I would choose other. I would really like to see us get a WR via the draft. Obviously Edwards, Williams and Williamson or Clayton are going to be your top 3/4 recivers, and I would be happy with any of them (pending we traded down for Williamson or Clayton. I'd be pissed if we took them w/ #9, unless they have a amazing combine.)
__________________
#21
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 01:42 PM   #30
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,697
If I'm Philadelphia I'd be devoting my time and money to getting Shaun Alexander in an Eagles uniform. Or trying to swing a trade for Edge or Travis Henry.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.38155 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25