Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Redskins rookie signing thread

Redskins Locker Room


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #121
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: Redskins rookie signing thread

You don't give up what our FO gave up for Griffin then haggle over language.
I'm putting this on FO to get this deal done.
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline  

Advertisements
Old 07-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #122
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 11,013
Re: Redskins rookie signing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
You don't give up what our FO gave up for Griffin then haggle over language.
I'm putting this on FO to get this deal done.
I'll bet that Griff's agent is making exactly the same argument.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is online now  
Old 07-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #123
Playmaker
 
HailGreen28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,889
Re: Redskins rookie signing thread

If teams are waiting around for each other to hold fast or bend, on letting players make more money on their own in endorsements and such, is it wrong to think: "Danny can afford it. Let's give the other team owners the middle finger for Capgate."

Supposedly the reason most owners were mad at Snyder and Jerrah Jones, is not just that the Skins and Cows were using the uncapped year to dump salary. It was because 1.) The Skins and Cows were in essence paying their players more than most teams were willing to or could, by opening their checkbooks the uncapped year and still spending as much as they could in cap years. And 2.) The big money that Wash and Dallass were paying out, made contract negotiations between other teams and their players at that time harder to reach. In effect, the Skins and Cows were shaking their wealth at other teams' faces.

Well, since the league gave us the middle finger with the cap penalty, with an overwhelming majority of owners voting to screw us, I'd like to see the Skins sign Griffin to a deal where not only do they not restrict Griffin making extra money, they help all our players to get more appearances and more advertising deals to help themselves and sometimes the Skins outside of NFL business.

Jerrah Jones did this to some extent with his Pepsi deal back in the mid '90s. Let's do it with outside-the-nfl endorsements to give our players more money, make our team more attractive to free agents, and shoot back a middle finger at the owners that screwed us.

Yes it's another reason for other owners to hate us, and some owners may really be going through tough times. But after Capgate, I'd say those owners have some apologizing to do to Snyder and Jones, for breaking their own rules over Mara's screwjob. And if push comes to shove, the league would be just as good with say 28 teams rather than 32 teams if some of those teams go under.

Does this make sense? Is it petty? Would it backfire?
HailGreen28 is offline  
Old 07-15-2012, 09:45 PM   #124
The Starter
 
InsaneBoost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: DC
Age: 26
Posts: 1,300
Re: Redskins rookie signing thread

It'll be done by tomorrow no worries. Hell, I wouldn't even throw out by the end of tonight to be honest.
__________________

InsaneBoost is offline  
Old 07-15-2012, 11:53 PM   #125
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: Redskins rookie signing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneBoost View Post
It'll be done by tomorrow no worries. Hell, I wouldn't even throw out by the end of tonight to be honest.
That would be cool.
Although its only rookie camp (no pads, no contact) if Griffin shows up you gotta expect the entire focus will be getting him up to or ahead of the guys showing up on the July,25.
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline  
Old 07-16-2012, 12:35 AM   #126
The Starter
 
InsaneBoost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: DC
Age: 26
Posts: 1,300
Re: Redskins rookie signing thread

Eh, may not happen as I thought. Still should be sometime soon, but maybe a couple days. Still would say this week for sure. Originally heard Monday though (as he's confirmed).
__________________

InsaneBoost is offline  
Old 07-16-2012, 08:47 AM   #127
The Starter
 
REDSKINS4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Born and raised in D.C.....but I'm a New Yorker now....
Posts: 2,177
Re: Redskins rookie signing thread

The Redskins didn't draft Griffin III and give up so much for him if they didn't intend to make him a franchise quarterback and give him pay equivalent to that role. He'll be in camp on time.

Last edited by REDSKINS4ever; 07-16-2012 at 09:01 AM.
REDSKINS4ever is offline  
Old 07-16-2012, 08:57 AM   #128
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,877
Re: Redskins rookie signing thread

if it is the offset that is stopping these top draft picks from signing, that sure seems like a bizarre spot to pick a fight. I didn't really think it would drag into one day of RGIII, Luck, or any of the others missing a day, rookie report or otherwise.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline  
Old 07-16-2012, 09:01 AM   #129
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 11,013
Re: Redskins rookie signing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
if it is the offset that is stopping these top draft picks from signing, that sure seems like a bizarre spot to pick a fight. I didn't really think it would drag into one day of RGIII, Luck, or any of the others missing a day, rookie report or otherwise.
I agree. I wonder if the drama isn't agent-driven. If there is nothing to fight about, there's no real reason to have an agent...so perhaps agents will pick any battle that they can find, no matter how small.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is online now  
Old 07-16-2012, 09:22 AM   #130
Registered User
 
lockeroomman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 95
Re: Redskins rookie signing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
I'll bet that Griff's agent is making exactly the same argument.
Yah +1
lockeroomman is offline  
Old 07-16-2012, 10:06 AM   #131
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: Redskins rookie signing thread

My 2 cents...

(1) The Colts realize that the language of their contract with Luck will set the precedent for the language in the other top contracts.
The Colts don't open camp until July 28.
They gain nothing by signing Luck before the 28th and also get to put the teams waiting on them at a competitive disadvantage.

(2) The specualtion is the contract hinges on offset language within the contract.
Especially in our case it makes no sense to haggle over such contract language.
We gave up alot to get Griffin everyone knows he's our guy.
If we end up cutting Griffin a few million is the least of our problems.
And the Panthers (who also have an early camp) already signed their 9th pick without the offset language.

(3) We cannot/must not wait on Luck.
Its up to the FO to get this deal done, asap.
They need to think for themselves and set their own precedent.
If they wait on Luck, Griff might not be at camp til the 28/29.
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline  
Old 07-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #132
Robert Griffin III
 
Monksdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Leesburg, VA
Age: 34
Posts: 1,495
Re: Redskins rookie signing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailGreen28 View Post
If teams are waiting around for each other to hold fast or bend, on letting players make more money on their own in endorsements and such, is it wrong to think: "Danny can afford it. Let's give the other team owners the middle finger for Capgate."

Supposedly the reason most owners were mad at Snyder and Jerrah Jones, is not just that the Skins and Cows were using the uncapped year to dump salary. It was because 1.) The Skins and Cows were in essence paying their players more than most teams were willing to or could, by opening their checkbooks the uncapped year and still spending as much as they could in cap years. And 2.) The big money that Wash and Dallass were paying out, made contract negotiations between other teams and their players at that time harder to reach. In effect, the Skins and Cows were shaking their wealth at other teams' faces.

Well, since the league gave us the middle finger with the cap penalty, with an overwhelming majority of owners voting to screw us, I'd like to see the Skins sign Griffin to a deal where not only do they not restrict Griffin making extra money, they help all our players to get more appearances and more advertising deals to help themselves and sometimes the Skins outside of NFL business.

Jerrah Jones did this to some extent with his Pepsi deal back in the mid '90s. Let's do it with outside-the-nfl endorsements to give our players more money, make our team more attractive to free agents, and shoot back a middle finger at the owners that screwed us.

Yes it's another reason for other owners to hate us, and some owners may really be going through tough times. But after Capgate, I'd say those owners have some apologizing to do to Snyder and Jones, for breaking their own rules over Mara's screwjob. And if push comes to shove, the league would be just as good with say 28 teams rather than 32 teams if some of those teams go under.

Does this make sense? Is it petty? Would it backfire?
The other owners may have seen it that way. However, our approach to the uncapped year wasnt done out of spite to the other owners. It was the first big pill needed to 'correct' the ship. It enabled current management(Allen) to move the organization forward while being fiscally responsible. IMO, Allen represents a focus on long term wins, not ticket sales. We're still obviously feeling the side effects of that medicine, but it is more likely to work than the previous model.

In that light, i cant see Allen deciding to make poor business decisions just to shake their collective burgundy fists at other owners. He's smarter than that. (minus the Garcon contract)
__________________
Robert Griffin III
Monksdown is offline  
Old 07-16-2012, 10:21 AM   #133
Registered User
 
RGIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 626
Re: Redskins rookie signing thread

RGIII will miss one practice session, if any. It's the spirit of negotiating...
RGIII is offline  
Old 07-16-2012, 10:28 AM   #134
Robert Griffin III
 
Monksdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Leesburg, VA
Age: 34
Posts: 1,495
Re: Redskins rookie signing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGIII View Post
RGIII will miss one practice session, if any. It's the spirit of negotiating...
That's right. Low stress. Negotiating is fun. It's very human.
__________________
Robert Griffin III
Monksdown is offline  
Old 07-16-2012, 11:06 AM   #135
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,877
Re: Redskins rookie signing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
I agree. I wonder if the drama isn't agent-driven. If there is nothing to fight about, there's no real reason to have an agent...so perhaps agents will pick any battle that they can find, no matter how small.
Yup, also if there is an offset clause, I would imagine if it ever is invoked that means the agent is the one really losing out, so I can see them fighting tooth and nail to keep it out.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.28256 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25