Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Art Monk vs. NFL

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2012, 09:45 PM   #46
Camp Scrub
 
Mayor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 56
Re: Art Monk vs. NFL

I think they should just give them all leather helmets again. That will keep the players from leading with their head.
Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-14-2012, 11:01 PM   #47
The Starter
 
REDSKINS4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Born and raised in D.C.....but I'm a New Yorker now....
Posts: 2,111
Re: Art Monk vs. NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor View Post
I think they should just give them all leather helmets again. That will keep the players from leading with their head.
Concussions were apart of the game even in the days of leather helmets. But in those days a lot of the players who sustained concussive injury played without a leather helmet.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:10 PM   #48
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,401
Re: Art Monk vs. NFL

You don't even need to hit your head on anything to sustain a concussion. The helmets aren't the problem, it's the high speed collisions.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:35 AM   #49
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,339
Re: Art Monk vs. NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
^ Got some stats to back that up?
I don't need stats. It's common sense.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:52 AM   #50
Playmaker
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,956
Re: Art Monk vs. NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
how many former players actually have brain damage from playing football? a very very small number. it's just that the guys that actually did or do have it, it's been overplayed by the media. what about the thousands of guys that had numerous head hits and are fine?

....Not trying to be smartass here but did you ever play orginized football,high school or higher?Point is that we only see the games how many do you think got these concussions in practice or in scrimages etc?
First one one I got(from football) was in 7th grade playing for a rec team according to the coach..."I just got my bell rung".If you have played contact full tackle football over any amount of time you have had a concussion my be a small one ,might just seem like a small headach but you have had one.This is why I ask the question why blame and how do you prove it was all the NFL's fault I have no qualms with the players saying they have this condition at all.
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:29 AM   #51
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,401
Re: Art Monk vs. NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I don't need stats. It's common sense.
Brilliant.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:31 AM   #52
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 8,980
Re: Art Monk vs. NFL

I used that in my last interview.......
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
Win! Always win!
By fair means or foul, by soft words and hard deeds...
by treachery, by cunning, by malpractice...
but always win--Edward Teach
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:39 AM   #53
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,378
Re: Art Monk vs. NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
You don't even need to hit your head on anything to sustain a concussion. The helmets aren't the problem, it's the high speed collisions.
This.

Not sure why people keep saying some of the stuff they do.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:40 AM   #54
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,913
Re: Art Monk vs. NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
You don't even need to hit your head on anything to sustain a concussion. The helmets aren't the problem, it's the high speed collisions.
The helmets are part of the problem. Not that they are insufficient but they are in fact too good. They entice players to make big hits because they offer a sense of security that players in yester-years didn't have.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:43 AM   #55
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,339
Re: Art Monk vs. NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
....Not trying to be smartass here but did you ever play orginized football,high school or higher?Point is that we only see the games how many do you think got these concussions in practice or in scrimages etc?
First one one I got(from football) was in 7th grade playing for a rec team according to the coach..."I just got my bell rung".If you have played contact full tackle football over any amount of time you have had a concussion my be a small one ,might just seem like a small headach but you have had one.This is why I ask the question why blame and how do you prove it was all the NFL's fault I have no qualms with the players saying they have this condition at all.
Yes I did....for many years. I got a concussion, took some smelling salt and was fine. Football is dangerous, these guys could've done something else w/ their lives. IF we know what we know now everys single one of the people that are suing would've still played. So I guess next we're going to see boxers, UFC fighters, firefighters and so on...start suing? Give me a break. So tired of this entire concussion deal. The trickle down effect is killing football.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:57 AM   #56
Playmaker
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,956
Re: Art Monk vs. NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Yes I did....for many years. I got a concussion, took some smelling salt and was fine. Football is dangerous, these guys could've done something else w/ their lives. IF we know what we know now everys single one of the people that are suing would've still played. So I guess next we're going to see boxers, UFC fighters, firefighters and so on...start suing? Give me a break. So tired of this entire concussion deal. The trickle down effect is killing football.

lol... I actually think we agree but our reasons are different.
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #57
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,478
Re: Art Monk vs. NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
The helmets are part of the problem. Not that they are insufficient but they are in fact too good. They entice players to make big hits because they offer a sense of security that players in yester-years didn't have.
Exactly. Kind of gives the players a since of invincibility. Seems like I do remember a player saying those exact words a couple of years ago when all this stuff about concussions really started becoming a huge topic.
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:17 AM   #58
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 8,980
Re: Art Monk vs. NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
The helmets are part of the problem. Not that they are insufficient but they are in fact too good. They entice players to make big hits because they offer a sense of security that players in yester-years didn't have.
Mike Ditka has been proclaiming this for several years now. Take away the helmet and the guys cannot "use it as a weapon".........
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
Win! Always win!
By fair means or foul, by soft words and hard deeds...
by treachery, by cunning, by malpractice...
but always win--Edward Teach
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:20 AM   #59
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,401
Re: Art Monk vs. NFL

You could put guys out there with no helmets and there's still going to be concussions.

It's not getting at the root of the problem.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:30 AM   #60
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,913
Re: Art Monk vs. NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
You could put guys out there with no helmets and there's still going to be concussions.

It's not getting at the root of the problem.
They're hitting each other...there's always going to be concussions no matter what.

It's probably impossible to ever know but I wonder if there are more now or less? And are they worse now than they used to be?
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.27216 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25