Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Vilma suing Goodell for defamation of character.

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2012, 11:26 AM   #16
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 36
Posts: 9,984
Re: Vilma suing Goodell for defamation of character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
Vilma claims he wasn't given enough evidence. We will see what comes out.

Also, Vilma is being made a huge scapegoat in this whole mess. His name is completely tarnished, despite numerous other current players who have done this.

I'm against bounties and all about player safety but I don't like the way the league has gone about this. It's very reactive, not proactive, to cover their rears. They don't give a crap about player safety. If they did they would do more impactful things, like shorten the season. Burning Vilma at the stake, for something a lot have done, is just negative reinforcement.
I couldn't disagree more. It can be argued their intentions aren't purely for the safety of their players but they certainly have made significant changes to the game in an attempt to increase player safety.

The logical extension of your argument about shortening the season is that they should just fold shop and football should never be played ever again. At what point is the season short "enough" to satisfactorily address the real concerns regarding player safety?

No, the debate as to season length is a silly one, both in regards to shortening and lengthening it. The way you make football safer is to eliminate the situations, in game, that cause injury.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-18-2012, 01:36 PM   #17
Special Teams
 
HoopheadVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 158
Re: Vilma suing Goodell for defamation of character.

I think there is zero chance that Vilma can win this lawsuit. He knows it, Goodell knows it, everybody knows it.

This is about forcing Goodell to release the evidence upon which he punished Vilma. He doesn't want to release it because he wants to protect the whistleblowers. The players want it released so they know what they're actually fighting against.

No idea who gets what they want here. Probably comes down to what it takes to prove defamation of character.

Question for the lawyers - the statements below are included in Vilma's complaint. Is he at any legal risk if Goodell produces evidence that show any of them to be obviously false?

38. Vilma never “pledged,” made or received payments of any kind encouraging or resulting from an opposing player being injured.

39. Vilma never “targeted” an opposing player in any manner that would violate NFL rules.

40. Vilma never engaged “in unsafe and prohibited conduct intended to injure players."

41.Vilma never “participate[d] in a program that potentially injured opposing players.”

42. Vilma never “embraced” a Bounty Program or any similar program in violation of NFL rules.
HoopheadVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #18
Playmaker
 
mlmpetert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 3,257
Re: Vilma suing Goodell for defamation of character.

Im not a fan of Vilma by anymeans but i dont like Goodell at all so i think this is great.


from pft:

Quote:
The argument likely will be that Goodell should have merely suspended Vilma without public commentary or accusation, saying nothing about what Vilma allegedly did to merit the suspension.

This is what i think might give the suit merrit. I know my company has a policy of only confirming basic info for past employees like start and end dates, when someone's new employer calls to verify past experience. I dont even think well say if the person was fired, quite or got laid off because fear of lawsuit. I think this is the way most companies act.

At a minimum i think this will be a wake up call to Goodell to make sure he never again mentions acts that could affect the reputations of players. And Vilma is clearly affected by this. He will probably never be able to get a post career job at places like ESPN, Fox, NFL Network.
__________________
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #19
Impact Rookie
 
Evilgrin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 746
Re: Vilma suing Goodell for defamation of character.

I think he does have a case outside of the CBA, because it's about defamation. I'm not saying anything about whether he will win or not. A big part of the suit has nothing to do with being allowed to play in the NFL.
Evilgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:11 PM   #20
Special Teams
 
HoopheadVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 158
Re: Vilma suing Goodell for defamation of character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
Im not a fan of Vilma by anymeans but i dont like Goodell at all so i think this is great.


from pft:




This is what i think might give the suit merrit. I know my company has a policy of only confirming basic info for past employees like start and end dates, when someone's new employer calls to verify past experience. I dont even think well say if the person was fired, quite or got laid off because fear of lawsuit. I think this is the way most companies act.

At a minimum i think this will be a wake up call to Goodell to make sure he never again mentions acts that could affect the reputations of players. And Vilma is clearly affected by this. He will probably never be able to get a post career job at places like ESPN, Fox, NFL Network.
According to wikipedia, the standard for libel is:

For example, in the United States, the person first must prove that the statement was false. Second, that person must prove that the statement caused harm. And, third, they must prove that the statement was made without adequate research into the truthfulness of the statement. These steps are for an ordinary citizen. In the case of a celebrity or public official trying to prove libel, they must prove the first three steps, and must (in the United States) prove the statement was made with the intent to do harm, or with reckless disregard for the truth.

If that's the correct standard, good luck proving #3 and #4. I think the only thing he's hoping to get out of this is to force Goodell to release the evidence.
HoopheadVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:28 PM   #21
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Vilma suing Goodell for defamation of character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
Im not a fan of Vilma by anymeans but i dont like Goodell at all so i think this is great.


from pft:




This is what i think might give the suit merrit. I know my company has a policy of only confirming basic info for past employees like start and end dates, when someone's new employer calls to verify past experience. I dont even think well say if the person was fired, quite or got laid off because fear of lawsuit. I think this is the way most companies act.

At a minimum i think this will be a wake up call to Goodell to make sure he never again mentions acts that could affect the reputations of players. And Vilma is clearly affected by this. He will probably never be able to get a post career job at places like ESPN, Fox, NFL Network.
Well I'm guessing that when a player signs an NFL comtract it has wording that gives the NFL rights to do certain thing in public unlike other employment. If you guys don't think Goodell does nto consult lawyers before making these moves your dreaming. The case goes no where.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #22
Playmaker
 
mlmpetert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 3,257
Re: Vilma suing Goodell for defamation of character.

Hoophead - i dont know anything about law (stop reading here) and it appears its gonna be a uphill fight for Vilma but i think there is much greater scrutiny when it comes to an employer doing something that affects your ability to work.

FD- I think Goodell is an extremely smart guy and im pretty sure hes even a lawyer, but i think he also has a ridiculous ego. And even if youre a entertainer your employer can just go around affecting your right to prosperity and employment. This is America for God's sake!
__________________
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #23
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,246
Re: Vilma suing Goodell for defamation of character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyRedskin View Post
Go get him Vilma!! I heard Vilma's even got Jackie Chiles representing him!! Godell your azz is grass!!

LOL....Vilma is dead in the water,he should have acted before this when all they wanted was to talk to him.He's toast!
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:09 PM   #24
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,470
Re: Vilma suing Goodell for defamation of character.

I don't think Roger is afraid......
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
“God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.” – Joe Gibbs
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:45 PM   #25
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,246
Re: Vilma suing Goodell for defamation of character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsk1 View Post
Goodell is running the NFL like a dictatorship. He's supposed to work for the owners.

1)The NFL (ANY PRO LEAGUE)=dictatorship

2) Vilma ain't an owner

Fans are screaming for Goodell 's head ,why....I would honesty like to know why,to much power ....he is in charge, the head man ,yes the head Dick, so what, he's keeping the NFL from turning into the NBA.He has the same power every commissioner before him has had.On one hand he has 1500 former players suing becuase they got hurt playing a game they had played since grade school and now want to sue someone,and on the other hand you have a team ,coachs and player paying people to go out of their way to just not hit another player but to injure another player so he does'nt return to the game...for money and all he did was tell them to stop,over and over and over again.....and they didn't!Do I agree with everything no but I think he has done a hell of a job if you look at some of the stupid things people in the NFL are doing.
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:52 PM   #26
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,246
Re: Vilma suing Goodell for defamation of character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopheadVII View Post
I think there is zero chance that Vilma can win this lawsuit. He knows it, Goodell knows it, everybody knows it.

This is about forcing Goodell to release the evidence upon which he punished Vilma. He doesn't want to release it because he wants to protect the whistleblowers. The players want it released so they know what they're actually fighting against.

No idea who gets what they want here. Probably comes down to what it takes to prove defamation of character.

Question for the lawyers - the statements below are included in Vilma's complaint. Is he at any legal risk if Goodell produces evidence that show any of them to be obviously false?

38. Vilma never “pledged,” made or received payments of any kind encouraging or resulting from an opposing player being injured.

39. Vilma never “targeted” an opposing player in any manner that would violate NFL rules.

40. Vilma never engaged “in unsafe and prohibited conduct intended to injure players."

41.Vilma never “participate[d] in a program that potentially injured opposing players.”

42. Vilma never “embraced” a Bounty Program or any similar program in violation of NFL rules.
I don't think you can perjure in a complant only on sworn testimony.
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:27 PM   #27
The Starter
 
Chief X_Phackter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lakewood, CO
Posts: 1,077
Re: Vilma suing Goodell for defamation of character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
I couldn't disagree more. It can be argued their intentions aren't purely for the safety of their players but they certainly have made significant changes to the game in an attempt to increase player safety.

The logical extension of your argument about shortening the season is that they should just fold shop and football should never be played ever again. At what point is the season short "enough" to satisfactorily address the real concerns regarding player safety?

No, the debate as to season length is a silly one, both in regards to shortening and lengthening it. The way you make football safer is to eliminate the situations, in game, that cause injury.
Not a logical extension of the argument...that is just taking it to a ridiculous extreme.

I don't think the debate is silly. These guys putting their bodies on the line week in week out are definitely at more risk with a longer season. The human body can only take so much, even athlete's in top shape. My vote is to keep it as is. No longer, no shorter.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:07 PM   #28
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,811
Re: Vilma suing Goodell for defamation of character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
1)The NFL (ANY PRO LEAGUE)=dictatorship

2) Vilma ain't an owner

Fans are screaming for Goodell 's head ,why....I would honesty like to know why,to much power ....he is in charge, the head man ,yes the head Dick, so what, he's keeping the NFL from turning into the NBA.He has the same power every commissioner before him has had.On one hand he has 1500 former players suing becuase they got hurt playing a game they had played since grade school and now want to sue someone,and on the other hand you have a team ,coachs and player paying people to go out of their way to just not hit another player but to injure another player so he does'nt return to the game...for money and all he did was tell them to stop,over and over and over again.....and they didn't!Do I agree with everything no but I think he has done a hell of a job if you look at some of the stupid things people in the NFL are doing.
Please explain? The NFL was fine when Paul T. was in charge. Now it's headed in the wrong direction if you ask me. Vilma deserves the suspension. But a year? C'mon.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:34 PM   #29
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,246
Re: Vilma suing Goodell for defamation of character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Please explain? The NFL was fine when Paul T. was in charge. Now it's headed in the wrong direction if you ask me. Vilma deserves the suspension. But a year? C'mon.
Sorry no sympathy from me,I wish he would crack down harder on some things.
Paul T , didn't have any of this to deal with.As for Vilma IMHO...if and I will say" if" what the..."INVESTIRGATORS" have found out to be true...I would have banned him from football for life and Williams also!

To me the NBA isn't much of a league,the owners are winps ,the players are thugs...the refs ....what refs,guns in the locker rooms ,etc.

Goodell is taking a stand nobody in the NFL is above the game itself,the NFL stands above all other leagues in this country and he wants it to remain that way with class and dignity.
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:37 PM   #30
Impact Rookie
 
Evilgrin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 746
Re: Vilma suing Goodell for defamation of character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Sorry no sympathy from me,I wish he would crack down harder on some things.
Paul T , didn't have any of this to deal with.As for Vilma IMHO...if and I will say" if" what the..."INVESTIRGATORS" have found out to be true...I would have banned him from football for life and Williams also!

To me the NBA isn't much of a league,the owners are winps ,the players are thugs...the refs ....what refs,guns in the locker rooms ,etc.

Goodell is taking a stand nobody in the NFL is above the game itself,the NFL stands above all other leagues in this country and he wants it to remain that way with class and dignity.
LOL, not sure what else to say, I'm pretty sure you just post here to troll and start arguements though, but if your serious then how long since your last actual sin?
Evilgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.34429 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25