Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Redskins OTAs

Redskins Locker Room


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #136
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Redskins OTAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
I think your perception of Davis blocking is based on old labels from 2 years ago.
I've seen David seal the edge in the running game and block DEs.
Is Davis inconsistent? Sure.
Does he miss blocks sometimes, sure who doesn't.
I have yet to see Paul seal the edge on or block a DE one-on-one or combo block with a Trent Williams on the outside stretch.


I'm not sure how I would collect after I won.
But, I'm sure we could ask someone to ask one the Skins coaches or people close to team if Paul is a better blocker then Davis.

Davis plays alot of snap and the reason he can be on the field so much is because of his blocking, his blocking makes him a complete TE.
And being a complete TE is part of the reason Davis was franchised tagged.

I think Paul has the tools to be good movement/match-up receiving threat TE.
And I can't wait to see him in game action.
But, I can't see him becoming an true in-line TE because of his blocking.
But then again, why would you take a movement TE and make them an in-line TE?
I would have a different opinion. FDavis was brought in cause they liked what he supposedly should be able to do. He was known to be a pass catching TE not a blocking TE. Which is why they picked up Paulsen a year or two later. Let us not forget FDavis didn't see the field hardly his first year if at all and only played marginally more his second.

The real reason Davis saw more playing time had more to do with match ups with opponants and what MS/KS wanted to put on the field. Look at the Patriots they run a lot of 2 TE sets. So I really don't think Davis was just sooo awsome that MS had to put him on the field. I think it had more to do with the team utilizing more 2 TE sets.

Personally I liked more of what I saw from Paulsen blocking and more from what I saw from him when he had the ball in his hands. He seemed to run over defenders and was hard to bring down with out the fumbles.
SBXVII is offline  

Advertisements
Old 06-01-2012, 06:50 PM   #137
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: Redskins OTAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
I would have a different opinion. FDavis was brought in cause they liked what he supposedly should be able to do. He was known to be a pass catching TE not a blocking TE. Which is why they picked up Paulsen a year or two later. Let us not forget FDavis didn't see the field hardly his first year if at all and only played marginally more his second.
Everyone is entitled to their opinions.
But, first I would say that if you narrow the TE groups only to "pass catching" vs "blocking" then you're basically ignoring most of the good NFL TEs that fall somewhere in between.
And Davis was a complete TE coming out of USC and he's a complete TE now.
"Pass catching" TEs" aren't considered top TE prospects like Davis was coming out of USC.
If a TE is either a pass catching or a blocker they're not projected as starting caliber players therefore are not gonna be top prospects nor are they gonna get drafted very high. (Where was Paulsen drafted again?)
And in the NFL simply put if an NFL TE can't be at least an adequate blocker then they can't play inline TE.
And we both know that Fred Davis can play inline TE.

I'm not gonna speculate or quibble about Davis playing time rookie/year 1 playing time.
Nor, am I gonna pretend that either of us know the exact factors that lead to drafting Paulsen.
My guess would be that Paulsen was the highest rated player on their board and they liked his skillset.

Quote:
The real reason Davis saw more playing time had more to do with match ups with opponants and what MS/KS wanted to put on the field. Look at the Patriots they run a lot of 2 TE sets. So I really don't think Davis was just sooo awsome that MS had to put him on the field. I think it had more to do with the team utilizing more 2 TE sets.
Oh, you know the reason why MS/KS make their decisions?
If Davis couldn't play he wouldn't play that much we know without mind reading the intentions of MS/KS.

Quote:
Personally I liked more of what I saw from Paulsen blocking and more from what I saw from him when he had the ball in his hands. He seemed to run over defenders and was hard to bring down with out the fumbles.
Paulsen is a good blocker and in the Panthers game showed he's a decent receiver with decent run after the catch.
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole

Last edited by 30gut; 06-01-2012 at 07:08 PM.
30gut is offline  
Old 06-01-2012, 07:12 PM   #138
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Redskins OTAs

OMG. I didn't say Davis sucked, I said I didn't see anything different then what Cooley has done. Some fans here seem to think Davis is 100X better then Cooley and Davis has not smelled the Pro Bowl yet.

Look I don't make the titles. The media puts TE's in two catagories.... pass catching TE's and blocking TE's. Some do well at both. However I can remember many of fans here wondering why we picked up another "pass catching TE" on this message board. I can remember many of media wondering why we picked up a second "pass catching TE". I honestly don't recall Davis being the "all around TE" that you claim him to be. I'm not saying he hasn't gotten better, all players get better over time and even MS has mentioned that Davis was playing better each year. Lest you forget all 3 of our picks that year Thomas, Kelly, and Davis really didn't come into the league making much noise and all were reported to have some issue's. We know Kelly's was his injury, Thomas and Davis were a combination of lazyness and learning their routes.

I'd say something idiotic like Paulsen saw the field his first year as a Rookie but that reason was because Cooley went down.
SBXVII is offline  
Old 06-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #139
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: Redskins OTAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
OMG. I didn't say Davis sucked, I said I didn't see anything different then what Cooley has done. Some fans here seem to think Davis is 100X better then Cooley and Davis has not smelled the Pro Bowl yet.
Look dude, it seems you're on here to have some sort of Cooley/Davis argument and that's fine but I'm not your huckleberry on that argument.
I didn't mention anything about Davis in relation to Cooley that's all you.

My point is simple, Davis is a good TE.
Part of being a good TE is being at minimum an adequate blocker.
And in asmuch as Davis is a decent inline blocking TE he's a better blocker then a newly converted WR.

-also the media rarely has a clue when it comes to football, the implication of a "pass catching TE" is that they can't block just as the implication for a "blocking TE" is that they can't catch. Good TEs are found somewhere in the middle under the label "complete TE".
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline  
Old 06-01-2012, 07:50 PM   #140
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Redskins OTAs

No I'm not on a Cooley/Davis arguement. Simply saying I like having both Cooley and Davis... and Paulsen. I've seen Paul first hand and he's pretty big right now. To me he almost looked LB big or close to it. Maybe a small LB but he was almost 2 to 3 times bigger then the other WR's we already have on the team. I thought I was looking at Landry when I first saw him.

All I said was I don't get the cult for Davis and the Cooley bashing. Both are nice to have. I mentioned that both are pass catching TE's and you kinda jumped on the bandwagon that Davis is an all around TE like I bashed him too much for your taste. Sorry. I'll add this for partial proof:

Quote:
Fred Davis, TE, USC
Fred Davis is one of the top three tight end prospects in Division One football this year. What Davis lacks in straight line speed, he more than makes up for with his ability to read defenses and quickness. Davis finished the 2007 season with 62 receptions for 881 yards (an amazing 14.2 ypc from the tight end position) and he also finished with 8 touchdowns. Davis was the lone bright spot in the underachieving pass offense at USC. Davis has a knack for getting open, even with the double coverage he has seen as USC's only viable receiving option this year. Davis does not have the game breaking speed of a Jeremy Shockey or Vernon Davis, but he has the big frame NFL quarterbacks love to find in the red zone. Davis is an adequate blocker, but can get pushed around a little bit by bigger defensive ends and strong side linebackers. Davis creates mismatches no matter where he lines up in the passing game. He has excellent body control for his size and great hands and he has shown great run after catch ability this year at USC. Davis has wowed scouts at Senior Bowl practice with his catching ability and ability to get position against defenders. Davis does not have prototypical tight end size, but he just gets the job done at an incredibly high level. Davis ran well at the combine, recording forty yard dash times of 4.6 and 4.65 officially. Davis will likely be a late first/early second round prospect and is the highest rated tight end by many rating services. He will likely be the first or second tight end taken in the draft.
Now I'll admit I'm probably reading too much into that review but most of the talk of him was his catching ability and how he was the lone bright spot for his college team catching balls for them. The majority of the write up talks about his yards after catch, TD's, receptions etc.

Don't get me wrong I like Davis, glad we got him, he was leading all our WR's in catches last year.... although I think that says more about our WR's and QB then it does about Fred. Why do I say that.... a lot of his balls I feel were thrown too high or too low or behind him. Thats a knock on the QB. The only knock I have with him is his fumbles. He needs to secure the ball better. Fumbles is something we hardly see from Cooley when he's playing and not injured.

I'll correct myself on one thing though.... I said Paulsen was listed as a blocking TE which in fact reading his scouting review I noticed they also complimented his pass catching ability very similar to Davis's. So I might have been wrong there but I could have sworn I read that he was more of a blocking TE and would probably be lined up opposite Cooley/Davis.
SBXVII is offline  
Old 06-01-2012, 08:21 PM   #141
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: Redskins OTAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
No I'm not on a Cooley/Davis arguement. Simply saying I like having both Cooley and Davis... and Paulsen. I've seen Paul first hand and he's pretty big right now. To me he almost looked LB big or close to it. Maybe a small LB but he was almost 2 to 3 times bigger then the other WR's we already have on the team. I thought I was looking at Landry when I first saw him.

All I said was I don't get the cult for Davis and the Cooley bashing. Both are nice to have. I mentioned that both are pass catching TE's and you kinda jumped on the bandwagon that Davis is an all around TE like I bashed him too much for your taste. Sorry. I'll add this for partial proof:
No worries, but you did start your last response on a diatribe about Cooley and again in this response you bring up Cooley despite the fact that I haven't mentioned him.

Well then I have no idea what your point is because unless you mean something different, when media you refer to call someone a 'pass catching TE' they mean they can't block.
All I'm saying is that if Davis couldn't block he wouldn't play nor would he have been considered a top TE prospect.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong I like Davis
Its hard to tell from the way you've been posting about him; just giving you a hard time bro I'm sure you like him.

I honestly don't know what exactly you're disagreeing with anymore...
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline  
Old 06-05-2012, 09:16 AM   #142
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 11,707
Re: Redskins OTAs

Any new word outta OTAs? InsaneBoost you going back or anything to report? Want see how the rookies (other than RG3), udfas are playing.
__________________
Ditka for President
Chico23231 is offline  
Old 06-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #143
The Starter
 
InsaneBoost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: DC
Age: 26
Posts: 1,300
Re: Redskins OTAs

Had planned on making it out today, but was notified last minute that they had closed OTA's to the media. Not sure why. I would assume Larry would have still had access with Redskins Nation, so possibly tune into the show tonight for some stuff.

Plan to be out there for mini camps and training camp.
__________________

InsaneBoost is offline  
Old 06-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #144
The Starter
 
InsaneBoost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: DC
Age: 26
Posts: 1,300
Re: Redskins OTAs

Looks like Thursday now? I'll see if I can make it, kind of busy that day.
__________________

InsaneBoost is offline  
Old 06-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #145
The Starter
 
mbedner3420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,833
Re: Redskins OTAs

Weren't otas closed to the media this whole week?
mbedner3420 is offline  
Old 06-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #146
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Redskins OTAs

Something pretty funny,

Seahawks violate contact rules, lose two OTA days | ProFootballTalk
SBXVII is offline  
Old 06-05-2012, 09:32 PM   #147
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,278
Re: Redskins OTAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
I wonder where we've seen that before... oh yeah, redskins.com.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline  
Old 06-05-2012, 09:42 PM   #148
The Starter
 
InsaneBoost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: DC
Age: 26
Posts: 1,300
Re: Redskins OTAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbedner3420 View Post
Weren't otas closed to the media this whole week?
From what I was told, they were open today, but then closed. However Thursday they will be open. This is the last week they're open till the Mini Camps.
__________________

InsaneBoost is offline  
Old 06-06-2012, 12:34 AM   #149
Special Teams
 
iRepDMV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: 9 Minutes from FedEx Field
Age: 27
Posts: 132
Re: Redskins OTAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
Look dude, it seems you're on here to have some sort of Cooley/Davis argument and that's fine but I'm not your huckleberry on that argument.
I didn't mention anything about Davis in relation to Cooley that's all you.

My point is simple, Davis is a good TE.
Part of being a good TE is being at minimum an adequate blocker.
And in asmuch as Davis is a decent inline blocking TE he's a better blocker then a newly converted WR.

-also the media rarely has a clue when it comes to football, the implication of a "pass catching TE" is that they can't block just as the implication for a "blocking TE" is that they can't catch. Good TEs are found somewhere in the middle under the label "complete TE".
That part had me dyingg
__________________
RIP SEAN TAYLOR. It's very rare that your favorite player passes away.

Robert Griffin III keeps me optimistic. P.s. we share the same birthday. #Aquarius

Hope to witness the Washington Redskins win a Super Bowl before my eyes . . . HTTR!
iRepDMV is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.32626 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25