Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


A Return of the Running Game?

Redskins Locker Room


View Poll Results: Do You Expect a More Balanced Offense in 2012?
Yes 80 72.73%
No 30 27.27%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 12:13 PM   #46
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,438
Re: A Return of the Running Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
I don't think he was dumb enough to show his cards and run it after a timeout though. He's not a dumb man, he was a successful NFL QB, which takes a brain. He's also a very good QB coach...but as a HC was in over his head.

I excuse the marroon and yellow and black comment as him spending too much time in Seattle...that place is REALLY OUT THERE and I'm not talking just geographically. I work with someone from Seattle too.
IMO yeah, he was (temporarily) dumb enough.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #47
The Starter
 
REDSKINS4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Born and raised in D.C.....but I'm a New Yorker now....
Posts: 2,111
Re: A Return of the Running Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
Thanks for your thoughts above.

I have a couple focused questions for you:

Do you expect the 2012 offense to be more balanced? (i.e. run the ball more then last year)

Do you want the 2012 Redskins to be more balanced?

Do you really think Kyle wants to run the ball more?
The Redskins haven't had a 1,000 yard rusher since 2008. I do expect them to run the ball a lot once they have the lead. But I expect them to throw it when the are trying to establish a lead. The NFL is a pass happy league so look for the Redskins to throw the ball more than they run.

Yes, I do expect the 2012 Washington Redskins offense to be more balanced. But being balanced means mixing in a certain number of passes with a mixture of runs.

I expect Kyle Shanahan to want to call more pass plays. He didn't have the 4th best offense in Houston in 2009 by running the ball. He wants to establish the Washington offense as an explosive offense. With Garcon, Hankerson, Morgan, and F. Davis to go along with a trimmed down Moss, I expect this season to be the Redskins most offensive explosion under Kyle Shanahan's direction yet.

Last edited by REDSKINS4ever; 06-20-2012 at 01:12 PM.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:31 PM   #48
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: A Return of the Running Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
The Redskins haven't had a 1,000 yard rusher since 2008. I do expect them to run the ball a lot once they have the lead. But I expect them to throw it when the are trying to establish a lead. The NFL is a pass happy league so look for the Redskins to throw the ball more than they run.

Yes, I do expect the 2012 Washington Redskins offense to be more balanced. But being balanced means mixing in a certain number of passes with a mixture of runs.

I expect Kyle Shanahan to want to call more pass plays. He didn't have the 4th best offense in Houston in 2009 by running the ball. He wants to establish the Washington offense as an explosive offense. With Garcon, Hankerson, Morgan, and F. Davis to go along with a trimmed down Moss, I expect this season to be the Redskins most offensive explosion under Kyle Shanahan's direction yet.
Based on your reply I'm gonna guess the answers to the questions (correct me if I'm wrong)

Do you expect the 2012 offense to be more balanced? (i.e. run the ball more then last year)
No

Do you want the 2012 Redskins to be more balanced?
? No

Do you really think Kyle wants to run the ball more?
No
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:49 PM   #49
Playmaker
 
SkinzWin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 2,693
Re: A Return of the Running Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
The Redskins haven't had a 1,000 yard rusher since 2008. I do expect them to run the ball a lot once they have the lead. But I expect them to throw it when the are trying to establish a lead. The NFL is a pass happy league so look for the Redskins to throw the ball more than they run.

Yes, I do expect the 2012 Washington Redskins offense to be more balanced. But being balanced means mixing in a certain number of passes with a mixture of runs.

I expect Kyle Shanahan to want to call more pass plays. He didn't have the 4th best offense in Houston in 2009 by running the ball. He wants to establish the Washington offense as an explosive offense. With Garcon, Hankerson, Morgan, and F. Davis to go along with a trimmed down Moss, I expect this season to be the Redskins most offensive explosion under Kyle Shanahan's direction yet.
But how do you have a great passing attack? By having to keep the defense honest with a great running attach and using play action. We have seen Shanny make diamonds out of thin air when it comes to running backs. If we can stay healthy, IF, on the offensive line I think we will have a serious ground threat that will definitely help the passing game with our new competent QB and WR's.

So do I think we will run more? Yes. But it will be to help the passing game as well. Do I think Shanny Jr. wants to run more? No. He seems like a pass happy kind of dude. But we aren't Houston. We don't have Andre Johnson. Find the balance. Win the game.
__________________
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Draft winners, not stars.

Hail to the Redskins
Hail victory
Braves on the warpath
Block for RG3
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:33 PM   #50
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: A Return of the Running Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinzWin View Post
...So do I think we will run more? Yes. But it will be to help the passing game as well. Do I think Shanny Jr. wants to run more? No. He seems like a pass happy kind of dude. But we aren't Houston. We don't have Andre Johnson. Find the balance. Win the game.
I'm hoping we run more also.
But like you said Kyle is a pass happy OC.
He'll have more weapons in the passing game then ever before since he's been in DC. (Griff, Garcon, Hankerson, Morgan, Paul)


If Kyle is a pass happy OC (like he's shown himself to be) then I'm not sure what would compel him to run the ball more.
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole

Last edited by 30gut; 06-22-2012 at 09:26 AM.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:14 PM   #51
The Starter
 
REDSKINS4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Born and raised in D.C.....but I'm a New Yorker now....
Posts: 2,111
Re: A Return of the Running Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinzWin View Post
But how do you have a great passing attack? By having to keep the defense honest with a great running attach and using play action. We have seen Shanny make diamonds out of thin air when it comes to running backs. If we can stay healthy, IF, on the offensive line I think we will have a serious ground threat that will definitely help the passing game with our new competent QB and WR's.

So do I think we will run more? Yes. But it will be to help the passing game as well. Do I think Shanny Jr. wants to run more? No. He seems like a pass happy kind of dude. But we aren't Houston. We don't have Andre Johnson. Find the balance. Win the game.
The way Mike Shanahan and Kyle Shanahan calls plays, it's not far fetched to think that they will keep the defense honest by having RG3 do a lot of rollouts and bootlegs much like Gibbs used to have Joe Theismann and Jay Schroeder do. The Redskins have the wide receivers to not only go deep, but also to get open anywhere on the field. It's my opinion, but I can see Garcon emerging as a respected NFL WR in this offense. He, Hankerson, Moss, and Morgan will be the primary targets in the passing game all year. Figure Chris Cooley, Niles Paul, and Fred Davis into that passing game also. The running game will take care of itself. Both Helu and Royster are hungry for success after getting a taste of the NFL as rookies last season. Add Tim Hightower to that mix also. The Redskins are overdue for a 1,000 yard rusher. One of these three will be it.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:32 AM   #52
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: A Return of the Running Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
...The running game will take care of itself...
So you think Kyle will change his philosophy/play calling tendencies?
If so why?
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:16 AM   #53
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,438
Re: A Return of the Running Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
I'm hoping we run more also.
But like you said Kyle is a pass happy OC.
He'll have more weapons in the passing game then ever before since he's been in DC. (Griff, Garcon, Hankerson, Morgan, Paul)


If Kyle is a pass happy OC (like he's shown himself to be) then I'm not sure what would compell him to run the ball more.
I agree. This is especially true since he now has a strong-armed QB toy to play with.

I just can't see us running the ball more with Griffin than we did with Wrecks/Beck.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #54
Playmaker
 
SkinzWin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 2,693
Re: A Return of the Running Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
I'm hoping we run more also.
But like you said Kyle is a pass happy OC.
He'll have more weapons in the passing game then ever before since he's been in DC. (Griff, Garcon, Hankerson, Morgan, Paul)


If Kyle is a pass happy OC (like he's shown himself to be) then I'm not sure what would compel him to run the ball more.
Answer: Shanny Sr. I think Big Mike Shanahan likes to run the ball in that ZBS of his. We have seen the fruits of his labor in the past. I think Shanny Sr. will have some say so over Jr. in the "we need to run the ball some more" department. I agree with the idea that bootlegs and rollouts may be a staple in the run attack to keep defenses honest but I think we can be a threat with just our running backs (provided the Oline can stay healthy). That is a big asterisk right there...
__________________
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Draft winners, not stars.

Hail to the Redskins
Hail victory
Braves on the warpath
Block for RG3
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:44 PM   #55
The Starter
 
REDSKINS4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Born and raised in D.C.....but I'm a New Yorker now....
Posts: 2,111
Re: A Return of the Running Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
So you think Kyle will change his philosophy/play calling tendencies?
If so why?
Namely because he has a new quarterback who is capable of making dynamic plays inside the pocket and on the run. Wouldn't that change the way that you call your offensive game plan?
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #56
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,438
Re: A Return of the Running Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
Namely because he has a new quarterback who is capable of making dynamic plays inside the pocket and on the run. Wouldn't that change the way that you call your offensive game plan?
Yes, it would make me change my game plan. I would call more pass plays than before and hand it off to a running back less.

Which, to go back to the title of the thread, would hardly be a return of the running game.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:54 PM   #57
Special Teams
 
SkinItup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 155
Re: A Return of the Running Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinzWin View Post
Answer: Shanny Sr. I think Big Mike Shanahan likes to run the ball in that ZBS of his. We have seen the fruits of his labor in the past. I think Shanny Sr. will have some say so over Jr. in the "we need to run the ball some more" department. I agree with the idea that bootlegs and rollouts may be a staple in the run attack to keep defenses honest but I think we can be a threat with just our running backs (provided the Oline can stay healthy). That is a big asterisk right there...
I'm not sure if we will run more but I certainly do expect the run to be more effective because of RG3. All the the play action rollouts will keep the back side defenders in place since one of the fast guys will be the QB and all the roll outs can quickly turn into qb keepers.
SkinItup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:34 PM   #58
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: A Return of the Running Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
Wouldn't that change the way that you call your offensive game plan?
We're not talking about some generalized or ambiguous "change".
We're talking specifically about whether or not the offense will/should become more balanced in the playcalling philosophy.
If Kyle's philosophy/playcalling were to become more balanced he would need to run the ball more.

So to answer your question directly: Certainly, having Griff as opposed to Rex/Beck would make change my offensive game plan.
But, having a dynamic QB, one of the best QB prospect in recent memory as opposed to Rex/Beck (near league worst QBs) wouldn't make me pass less.
It would make me maintain my pass first focus if not increase my pass first tendencies.

I have a direct question for you: Would having a QB who is capable of making dynamics plays in the passing game and running the ball cause you to pass less?
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole

Last edited by 30gut; 06-22-2012 at 11:52 PM.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:05 AM   #59
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: A Return of the Running Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinzWin View Post
Answer: Shanny Sr. I think Big Mike Shanahan likes to run the ball in that ZBS of his. We have seen the fruits of his labor in the past. I think Shanny Sr. will have some say so over Jr. in the "we need to run the ball some more" department....
Well we know Mike Shanahan likes to a balanced offense as evidenced by his career pass/run ratio which is almost exactly 50/50 pass/run. <--heck that ratio now is probably considered run heavy.

But, I don't think Mike dictates the philosophy or gameplan to Kyle or any of his previous OCs.
Surely, if Mike was the OC last year we would have run the ball more often and more effectively much sooner in the year and maintained it all through the season.
Kyle threw the ball 591 times with Rex/Beck as his QBs, despite having a QB situation thatt warranted leaning on the running game if not at a minimum a more balanced attack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinswin
I agree with the idea that bootlegs and rollouts may be a staple in the run attack to keep defenses honest but I think we can be a threat with just our running backs (provided the Oline can stay healthy). That is a big asterisk right there
Well the boot action (bootlegs, nakeds, 'rollouts') and the zone stretch run go hand-in-hand they're complementary plays.
The success of the stretch run is made possible because the boot-action limits the backside pursuit, which creates cutback lanes.
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:16 PM   #60
The Starter
 
REDSKINS4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Born and raised in D.C.....but I'm a New Yorker now....
Posts: 2,111
Re: A Return of the Running Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
We're not talking about some generalized or ambiguous "change".
We're talking specifically about whether or not the offense will/should become more balanced in the playcalling philosophy.
If Kyle's philosophy/playcalling were to become more balanced he would need to run the ball more.

So to answer your question directly: Certainly, having Griff as opposed to Rex/Beck would make change my offensive game plan.
But, having a dynamic QB, one of the best QB prospect in recent memory as opposed to Rex/Beck (near league worst QBs) wouldn't make me pass less.
It would make me maintain my pass first focus if not increase my pass first tendencies.

I have a direct question for you: Would having a QB who is capable of making dynamics plays in the passing game and running the ball cause you to pass less?
They positive thing about Griffin is that he can be used in more than one way. He can pass the ball. He can also run for long gains as we know. I've even seen highlights of him catching the ball in Baylor's offense. Passing less depends on how much yardage you are gaining on offense with the running game or if the run is consistently effective.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.52676 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25