Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Around the NFL...Offseason Style

Redskins Locker Room


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 01:21 PM   #181
The Starter
 
REDSKINS4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Born and raised in D.C.....but I'm a New Yorker now....
Posts: 2,111
Re: Around the NFL...Offseason Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Well, that's the point. Many things go into the winning of a championship. All that has been asserted is that SD had the talent to do so but was not able to have all the pieces come together at the right time to do so.

Winning the SB relies on more than athletic talent - a point you now seem to concede, but which you originally appearred to deny:



LT's San Diego teams will always be deemed a disappointment b/c, as you say, "they were what their record said they were" - a perennial favorite to go all the way based on their talent that simply never was able to make it to the SB. I would suggest they are on the short list of "Best Teams To Never Win The Superbowl".

Those San Diego Chargers teams would have never beat the Patriots, the Ravens, or the Steelers in the playoffs. Norv Turner had very good personnel on those Chargers teams but they would always lose in the playoffs to powerhouse teams in the AFC.
REDSKINS4ever is offline  

Advertisements
Old 06-18-2012, 02:40 PM   #182
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,384
Re: Around the NFL...Offseason Style

I think many of you guys are forgetting something in your tails of the Chargers in the playoffs.

NFL Videos: Top Ten Gutsiest Performances: Philip Rivers


Not to mention, that same game that LT could hardly run because he was badly hurt from the week prior.



Many things come into play in winning a Super Bowl, and quite frankly, luck plays a HUGE part in it. The Patriots have been one of the luckiest teams I've seen to date, in large part due to injuries and calls that always seem to go their way. That's not taking anything away from their coaching, but you have to have luck on your side.

Also, remember, the team that wins the Super Bowl (and NCAA basketball championship) is usually not the best team in the NFL.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline  
Old 06-18-2012, 03:03 PM   #183
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,472
Re: Around the NFL...Offseason Style

You had me right up until the end. The team that wins the SB is the best "team" of the year. Other teams may have had the opportunity to be the best, but, in any given year, the team that wins it all gets to claim the title of "Best Team of _____".

Otherwise, it's all just a beauty contest and we'll all argue over the Russian Judge's score.

It may be luck, skill or just the proper alignment of the constellations, but, ultimately, in sports, the "best team" is the team still standing at the end. The most anyone else can be is the "best team that didn't win".
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline  
Old 06-18-2012, 03:15 PM   #184
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,384
Re: Around the NFL...Offseason Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
You had me right up until the end. The team that wins the SB is the best "team" of the year. Other teams may have had the opportunity to be the best, but, in any given year, the team that wins it all gets to claim the title of "Best Team of _____".

I think you are arguing over semantics really. According to the trophy, they are the best team. In reality, they are not the best team. Very rare does the best team with the championship in the NFL and in college basketball. For one, it's a one game elimination. If they changed the NFL playoffs to to a 3 game format at each level, you'd see a different story to be quite honest.

You think the Giants beat the 2007 Patriots in a best out of 3? Hell no...lol Where they even the best team that year? **** no, they weren't even the best team in their division which is why the Cowboys won it. If they were truly the best team, they would win their division and have home field advantage throughout the playoffs. The regular season is a true indicator of the league's best team. That doesn't mean they are going to win the championship though.

Same with NCAA basketball. The last two teams that held the #1 rank at the end of the season and won it all were Kentucky and UNC. It's a very rare feat.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline  
Old 06-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #185
MVP
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Age: 26
Posts: 11,812
Re: Around the NFL...Offseason Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
I think you are arguing over semantics really. According to the trophy, they are the best team. In reality, they are not the best team. Very rare does the best team with the championship in the NFL and in college basketball. For one, it's a one game elimination. If they changed the NFL playoffs to to a 3 game format at each level, you'd see a different story to be quite honest.

You think the Giants beat the 2007 Patriots in a best out of 3? Hell no...lol Where they even the best team that year? **** no, they weren't even the best team in their division which is why the Cowboys won it. If they were truly the best team, they would win their division and have home field advantage throughout the playoffs. The regular season is a true indicator of the league's best team. That doesn't mean they are going to win the championship though.

Same with NCAA basketball. The last two teams that held the #1 rank at the end of the season and won it all were Kentucky and UNC. It's a very rare feat.
I agree with JR, the best team is the one that wins it all. On paper, who had the most talent last year between the Mavs and the Heat? And did they play one NBA Final game, or 6? 1 game, 3 game series, 5 game series, 7 game series, you're talking what if's here. The reality is they had 60 minutes, 4 quarters, 2 halves to take the lead and win the game. Did they? No.
mooby is offline  
Old 06-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #186
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,384
Re: Around the NFL...Offseason Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I agree with JR, the best team is the one that wins it all. On paper, who had the most talent last year between the Mavs and the Heat? And did they play one NBA Final game, or 6? 1 game, 3 game series, 5 game series, 7 game series, you're talking what if's here. The reality is they had 60 minutes, 4 quarters, 2 halves to take the lead and win the game. Did they? No.

So, you are saying the Detroit Lions at 2-14 were a better team than the Redskins who they beat in 2010? Do I even need to answer this?

So, you are saying the Giants who at 10-6 (didn't even win their division) were a better team than the Patriots at 16-0? Absolutely not.

You saying the a 7-9 Seahawks were a better team than a 11-5 Saints? **** no...lol

Well hell, lets just have a 1 game elimination from the get go and forgo any and all regular season. Last man standing!! After all, that's basically what you are equating.

It's not a hard concept to realize that the best team doesn't always win, but that's what makes the NFL (and NCAA tourny) so awesome, it's because it is a single game elimination and YOUR team has a shot in the playoff no matter how shitty they were in the regular season.

If what you are saying is true, then by default, we are super bowl winners since we in fact beat the Giants and Green Bay the past couple years!!! MAKE ROOM IN THE TROPHY CASE GUYS!!! After all, one game apparently means you are the best according to your logic.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline  
Old 06-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #187
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,472
Re: Around the NFL...Offseason Style

You're ignoring the central point of my argument ... the only team that can claim to be the "best" in any given year is the team that won it all and is standing at the end. All the preliminaries to that game are just that - Preliminiaries. We beat the Giants! Yay!! The Giants played well enough, long enough to win it all. No one else did.

You want to claim you were the best team in any given year? Do what it takes to play in and win the championship. Everyone else is just "The best team that didn't win the Championship" and that is a beauty contest.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline  
Old 06-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #188
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,472
Re: Around the NFL...Offseason Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I agree with JR, the best team is the one that wins it all. On paper, who had the most talent last year between the Mavs and the Heat? And did they play one NBA Final game, or 6? 1 game, 3 game series, 5 game series, 7 game series, you're talking what if's here. The reality is they had 60 minutes, 4 quarters, 2 halves to take the lead and win the game. Did they? No.
I have always thought that you were a man of impeccable wisdom.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline  
Old 06-18-2012, 04:24 PM   #189
Camp Scrub
 
dppredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2
Re: Around the NFL...Offseason Style

Hey guys I thought you might be interested in this eBay thing I found. I was trying to post it in a more prominent place but the forum rules don't allow that (probably for the best).

Anyway this thing gets you 4 VIP passes into the training camp to meet players and such.

ebay (dot) com/itm/110900054329?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649
dppredskins is offline  
Old 06-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #190
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,384
Re: Around the NFL...Offseason Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
You're ignoring the central point of my argument ... the only team that can claim to be the "best" in any given year is the team that won it all and is standing at the end. All the preliminaries to that game are just that - Preliminiaries. We beat the Giants! Yay!! The Giants played well enough, long enough to win it all. No one else did.

You want to claim you were the best team in any given year? Do what it takes to play in and win the championship. Everyone else is just "The best team that didn't win the Championship" and that is a beauty contest.
Mike Tyson lost to Buster Douglas. Was Buster Douglas a better fighter than Mike Tyson? Nope.

I understand winning the championship gives said team the bragging rights of "being the best team that year", but it doesn't really mean the were the best when it comes down to it, which generally shows by their course of work though out the year. The Redskins can't claim to be the best team since they also beat the Packers, who were supposedly the best team according to them winning the Super Bowl. We are arguing semantics in the end and we'll agree to disagree on this particular topic.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline  
Old 06-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #191
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,438
Re: Around the NFL...Offseason Style

I'm with JR and mooby.

The Lombardi Trophy is essentially the "Best Team Award." Only the team with a Lombardi for a certain year can claim to be "Best Team." Anything else that happens in the season is just a lead-up to that award. And any claim that another team deserved the award is pure speculation.

A Lombardi in hand beats two speculations in the bush every time.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline  
Old 06-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #192
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,384
Re: Around the NFL...Offseason Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
I'm with JR and mooby.

The Lombardi Trophy is essentially the "Best Team Award." Only the team with a Lombardi for a certain year can claim to be "Best Team." Anything else that happens in the season is just a lead-up to that award. And any claim that another team deserved the award is pure speculation.

A Lombardi in hand beats two speculations in the bush every time.

Well then. According to that logic, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, and Eli Manning are better QBs than Dan Marino. TROPHIES MEAN YOU ARE THE BEST AFTER ALL AMIRITE??

Body of work.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline  
Old 06-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #193
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,586
Re: Around the NFL...Offseason Style

Aqib Talib's case dismissed | Tampa Bay Buccaneers blog: Bucs Beat | tampabay.com & Tampa Bay Times

One step closer to the B & G
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline  
Old 06-18-2012, 04:45 PM   #194
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,438
Re: Around the NFL...Offseason Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Well then. According to that logic, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, and Eli Manning are better QBs than Dan Marino. TROPHIES MEAN YOU ARE THE BEST AFTER ALL AMIRITE??

Body of work.
No. The Lombardi Trophy, as stated, is the "best TEAM award," not the "best QB award." They are different things.

Tell me, if the best team does not win the championship, what objective measure do we use to determine who the best team is?

If there is no objective measure, then determining the best-team-not-to-win-the-championship is just subjective speculation. Or, as JR put it, a beauty contest.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline  
Old 06-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #195
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,472
Re: Around the NFL...Offseason Style

Now your just being obtuse. Individuals don't get to claim they were the best in any given year b/c their team won and that simply wasn't the point I was making. Your "Team" wins the championship, your "Team" is the best that year. Period.

[As to Buster beating Tyson - For a time, Buster was the best - he beat the best and, until he lost, he was the best.]
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.32259 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25