Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


NFL Prepared to Hire Replacement Refs

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 11:35 AM   #1
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,678
NFL Prepared to Hire Replacement Refs

NFL's talks with officials break off, sources say - ESPN

I suspect this will get resolved by the time the season rolls around
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 52
Posts: 10,517
Re: NFL Prepared to Hire Replacement Refs

you talk about something that will really screw up a game? they need to be full time....no more excuses
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #3
MVP
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Age: 26
Posts: 11,910
Re: NFL Prepared to Hire Replacement Refs

Oh how will we manage?! To think, they might have to hire replacements for the main reason we watch football! Won't someone think of Eddie "Guns" Hoculi?!
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: NFL Prepared to Hire Replacement Refs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
you talk about something that will really screw up a game? they need to be full time....no more excuses
Why do they need to be full time? Can you practice what they do? I guess they could target pratice throwing the flag so not to hit someone in the eye, I just don't see how going full time would change anything.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,731
Re: NFL Prepared to Hire Replacement Refs

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Why do they need to be full time? Can you practice what they do? I guess they could target pratice throwing the flag so not to hit someone in the eye, I just don't see how going full time would change anything.
I don't understand the logic of saying full-time wouldn't help anything. What do you mean they can't practice. I can think of several things that would help right off the bat:

All refs would be trained to see penalties the same way. For example: Through computer videos you can let them see 4 plays, 3 are PI, one is not, they select which one isn't.

Officials Teams could be varied in the off season, and evaluated and adjusted so that the strengths and weaknesses are better understood.

Officials would be able to watch OTA's and other team based functions providing feedback and also more on field experience for the officials.

Surely the more they see actual and video examples the better they would get.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
MVP
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Age: 26
Posts: 11,910
Re: NFL Prepared to Hire Replacement Refs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I don't understand the logic of saying full-time wouldn't help anything. What do you mean they can't practice. I can think of several things that would help right off the bat:

All refs would be trained to see penalties the same way. For example: Through computer videos you can let them see 4 plays, 3 are PI, one is not, they select which one isn't.

Officials Teams could be varied in the off season, and evaluated and adjusted so that the strengths and weaknesses are better understood.

Officials would be able to watch OTA's and other team based functions providing feedback and also more on field experience for the officials.

Surely the more they see actual and video examples the better they would get.
This. More time for training so it's universally understood what constitutes a penalty can only make the refs better. Think about all the film they could watch, all of the examples they could study, that could help them judge better in real time. I would definitely support refs working full time for the NFL. Pretty sure the NFL wouldn't though because paying the refs would take more money out of their profits, with no forseeable way to make up the difference.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #7
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,640
Re: NFL Prepared to Hire Replacement Refs

Since we always win the Super Bowl in strike seasons, does that include seasons when the refs strike?
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:47 PM   #8
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,951
Re: NFL Prepared to Hire Replacement Refs

Football players used to get off-season jobs until pay became enough that they could focus on being better players by training and/or practicing/playing year round. These refs surely make enough money to be able to focus on one job. Considering the importance of said job just in dollars it is silly to think they are part time.

How many multi-billion dollar companies hire part time workers who directly affect the products they sell? Hell the refs are as much part of the product as the players in a sense.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #9
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 52
Posts: 10,517
Re: NFL Prepared to Hire Replacement Refs

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Why do they need to be full time? Can you practice what they do? I guess they could target pratice throwing the flag so not to hit someone in the eye, I just don't see how going full time would change anything.
so if i came to you and said i think your job is only needed 6 months a year, but in those 6 months you better not make any mistakes, how would you feel/do?
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #10
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,501
Re: NFL Prepared to Hire Replacement Refs

The refs do a bad job imo. Too flag happy. Maybe the replacements will do a better job.
skinsfan69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #11
The Starter
 
Chief X_Phackter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lakewood, CO
Posts: 1,069
Re: NFL Prepared to Hire Replacement Refs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I don't understand the logic of saying full-time wouldn't help anything. What do you mean they can't practice. I can think of several things that would help right off the bat:

All refs would be trained to see penalties the same way. For example: Through computer videos you can let them see 4 plays, 3 are PI, one is not, they select which one isn't.

Officials Teams could be varied in the off season, and evaluated and adjusted so that the strengths and weaknesses are better understood.

Officials would be able to watch OTA's and other team based functions providing feedback and also more on field experience for the officials.

Surely the more they see actual and video examples the better they would get.
Well said.

I think there are a lot of potential positives having them at "full time". It would benefit their own knowledge base, tactics, techniques and procedures; and I think NFL teams would surely benefit from having refs present during on-the-field training before the season.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:14 PM   #12
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 27
Posts: 8,606
Didn't we have replacement refs a few years back?
__________________
Vacancy
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #13
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: NFL Prepared to Hire Replacement Refs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Football players used to get off-season jobs until pay became enough that they could focus on being better players by training and/or practicing/playing year round. These refs surely make enough money to be able to focus on one job. Considering the importance of said job just in dollars it is silly to think they are part time.

How many multi-billion dollar companies hire part time workers who directly affect the products they sell? Hell the refs are as much part of the product as the players in a sense.
A lot of board of directors are not full time employess of the corporation and just come in to give advise and help with disputes when needed. So it is very common.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:22 PM   #14
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: NFL Prepared to Hire Replacement Refs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
so if i came to you and said i think your job is only needed 6 months a year, but in those 6 months you better not make any mistakes, how would you feel/do?
I'd say hell yea and take a 6 month vacation. No one tells them to not make mistake. Its a given that mistakes will happen with full or partime refs. What other sports have full time refs that don't still make mistakes? I don't think the Refs are the problem the stupid rules like you cannot hit the QB's head even if its a little tap is the problem with the game.

Last edited by firstdown; 06-04-2012 at 05:30 PM.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:49 PM   #15
Playmaker
 
HailGreen28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,686
Re: NFL Prepared to Hire Replacement Refs

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
I'd say hell yea and take a 6 month vacation. No one tells them to not make mistake. Its a given that mistakes will happen with full or partime refs. What other sports have full time refs that don't still make mistakes? I don't think the Refs are the problem the stupid rules like you cannot hit the QB's head even if its a little tap is the problem with the game.
Agreed about the refs not being the problem. Goodell and the league have to go overboard on the helmet hits, or the league could get overwhelmed by legitimate lawsuits. I do think the officiating can be improved, though. And ought to be fairer to the officials.

I'd love to see the league support a cadre of professional officials. From the head referee to the replay officials. With no more vacation than the players get, with an offseason of tape and review. We couldn't eliminate mistakes from the officials, any more than the players. But we can at least make the officiating more consistent with more offseason training.

And pay the officials accordingly. $25K-$70K to referee a season involving multi-millionaire players in a sport worth billions, is ridiculous, IMO. Pay officials six figures at least.

Last edited by HailGreen28; 06-04-2012 at 09:57 PM.
HailGreen28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.28579 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25