Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Shanahan Tells Banks He Better Learn to Play WR

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #181
The Starter
 
REDSKINS4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Born and raised in D.C.....but I'm a New Yorker now....
Posts: 2,177
Re: Shanahan Tells Banks He Better Learn to Play WR

Over the years with the Redskins team regardless who the coach was or what era it was, since the end of the first Joe Gibbs era, players have been drafted or either signed by the Redskins front office and lasted a few years and then they are waived only to be picked up by other teams. Before you know it, those players end up with Super Bowl rings or at least Super Bowl appearances. Essentially what I'm suggesting is it's happened so often that I wouldn't be at all surprised if Brandon Banks is cut and then is picked up by one of the other 31 NFL teams and flourishes into one of the best return men in the NFL.

Case in point the most recent Redskin to benefit from no longer being a Redskin was Devin Thomas, who everybody in Redskins Nation don't think is that good. If Mike Shanahan wasn't that much of a micro managing head coach and overlooked what Thomas was doing, he might have still been on the Redskins roster and never earned a Super Bowl ring with the NYG. The fact of the matter is being released and picked up by other teams and then moving on to do better elsewhere has happened with former Redskins players more than it should have.

Last edited by REDSKINS4ever; 07-13-2012 at 01:59 PM.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-13-2012, 02:02 PM   #182
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,963
Re: Shanahan Tells Banks He Better Learn to Play WR

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
Over the years with the Redskins team regardless who the coach was or what era it was, since the end of the first Joe Gibbs era, players have been drafted or either signed by the Redskins front office and lasted a few years and then they are waived only to be picked up by other teams. Before you know it, those players end up with Super Bowl rings or at least Super Bowl appearances. Essentially what I'm suggesting is it's happened so often that I wouldn't be at all surprised if Brandon Banks is cut and then is picked up by one of the other 31 NFL teams and flourishes into one of the best return men in the NFL.

Case in point the most recent Redskin to benefit from no longer being a Redskin was Devin Thomas, who everybody in Redskins Nation don't think is that good. If Mike Shanahan wasn't that much of a micro managing head coach and overlooked what Thomas was doing, he might have still been on the Redskins roster and never earned a Super Bowl ring with the NYG. The fact of the matter is being released and picked up by other teams and then moving on to do better elsewhere has happened with former Redskins players more than it should have.
And what I would suggest is more often than not players don't succeed after leaving here, it's just we remember the ones who do

And Devin Thomas getting a ring was just dumb luck. Not a product of him being so great. We don't miss Devin Thomas...do we?
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:03 PM   #183
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
Over the years with the Redskins team regardless who the coach was or what era it was, since the end of the first Joe Gibbs era, players have been drafted or either signed by the Redskins front office and lasted a few years and then they are waived only to be picked up by other teams. Before you know it, those players end up with Super Bowl rings or at least Super Bowl appearances. Essentially what I'm suggesting is it's happened so often that I wouldn't be at all surprised if Brandon Banks is cut and then is picked up by one of the other 31 NFL teams and flourishes into one of the best return men in the NFL.

Case in point the most recent Redskin to benefit from no longer being a Redskin was Devin Thomas, who everybody in Redskins Nation don't think is that good. If Mike Shanahan wasn't that much of a micro managing head coach and overlooked what Thomas was doing, he might have still been on the Redskins roster and never earned a Super Bowl ring with the NYG. The fact of the matter is being released and picked up by other teams and then moving on to do better elsewhere has happened with former Redskins players more than it should have.
Banks is a better return man than Thomas right? Well thats y he was cut because he's a horrible WR, he won a ring doing pretty much nothing with the giants
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:15 PM   #184
The Starter
 
REDSKINS4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Born and raised in D.C.....but I'm a New Yorker now....
Posts: 2,177
Re: Shanahan Tells Banks He Better Learn to Play WR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
And what I would suggest is more often than not players don't succeed after leaving here, it's just we remember the ones who do

And Devin Thomas getting a ring was just dumb luck. Not a product of him being so great. We don't miss Devin Thomas...do we?
Of a surety I don't miss seeing Devin Thomas in a Redskins uniform at all. Yes, the Giants playoff run through Green Bay and San Francisco was a fluke that never should have happened.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:17 PM   #185
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 11,009
Re: Shanahan Tells Banks He Better Learn to Play WR

I don't miss Devin Thomas. The guy still can't run a route. The Giants can have him and the tiny role that he plays on their team. He's still a waste of roster space.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #186
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 11,009
Re: Shanahan Tells Banks He Better Learn to Play WR

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
Of a surety I don't miss seeing Devin Thomas in a Redskins uniform at all. Yes, the Giants playoff run through Green Bay and San Francisco was a fluke that never should have happened.
So what's your argument here? You claim that if we cut Banks he will move on to tear it up with another team. As evidence for this claim, you cite...Devin Thomas? And then you say you don't miss Thomas?
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #187
The Starter
 
mbedner3420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,842
Re: Shanahan Tells Banks He Better Learn to Play WR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
I don't miss Devin Thomas. The guy still can't run a route. The Giants can have him and the tiny role that he plays on their team. He's still a waste of roster space.
He is a waste of a roster space for the Bears now if I'm not mistaken.
mbedner3420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #188
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 11,009
Re: Shanahan Tells Banks He Better Learn to Play WR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbedner3420 View Post
He is a waste of a roster space for the Bears now if I'm not mistaken.
You are correct, good catch.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #189
MVP
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Age: 26
Posts: 12,107
Re: Shanahan Tells Banks He Better Learn to Play WR

If your argument for post-Redskins success is Devin Thomas, you are setting the bar tremendously low.

Last edited by mooby; 07-13-2012 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Because Herp Derpson told me to.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #190
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,431
Re: Shanahan Tells Banks He Better Learn to Play WR

This thread...

wtf
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:46 PM   #191
JUST LIVIN
 
htownskinfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: houston,tx
Age: 52
Posts: 3,523
Re: Shanahan Tells Banks He Better Learn to Play WR

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
Over the years with the Redskins team regardless who the coach was or what era it was, since the end of the first Joe Gibbs era, players have been drafted or either signed by the Redskins front office and lasted a few years and then they are waived only to be picked up by other teams. Before you know it, those players end up with Super Bowl rings or at least Super Bowl appearances. Essentially what I'm suggesting is it's happened so often that I wouldn't be at all surprised if Brandon Banks is cut and then is picked up by one of the other 31 NFL teams and flourishes into one of the best return men in the NFL.

Case in point the most recent Redskin to benefit from no longer being a Redskin was Devin Thomas, who everybody in Redskins Nation don't think is that good. If Mike Shanahan wasn't that much of a micro managing head coach and overlooked what Thomas was doing, he might have still been on the Redskins roster and never earned a Super Bowl ring with the NYG. The fact of the matter is being released and picked up by other teams and then moving on to do better elsewhere has happened with former Redskins players more than it should have.
Desmond Howard would be a lot better example than Devin Thomas,but Shanahan didnt cut Howard so we cant blame him for that
__________________
Ho
Lee
Chit
htownskinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:48 PM   #192
Playmaker
 
Alvin Walton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Holland, Michigan
Posts: 4,432
Re: Shanahan Tells Banks He Better Learn to Play WR

Mike Shanahan just told me I need to learn how to hyper-classify Chesterfield oysters.
__________________
REDSKINS FAN SINCE 1968
Alvin Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:56 AM   #193
The Starter
 
REDSKINS4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Born and raised in D.C.....but I'm a New Yorker now....
Posts: 2,177
Re: Shanahan Tells Banks He Better Learn to Play WR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
So what's your argument here? You claim that if we cut Banks he will move on to tear it up with another team. As evidence for this claim, you cite...Devin Thomas? And then you say you don't miss Thomas?
No, I don't miss Thomas. What did he ever do while he was in Washington? He only had one productive game for the Redskins, catching 6 passes for 101 yards in a 2009 game against New Orleans. I mentioned Thomas because he was the last Redskin to be waived only to end up on a Super Bowl team. If the Redskins give up on Banks, whose to say Banks won't become a dangerous return man with another NFL team or win a Super Bowl ring with another team?
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:18 AM   #194
Playmaker
 
CrustyRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: RatherbeinDC, TX
Posts: 2,677
Re: Shanahan Tells Banks He Better Learn to Play WR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Walton View Post
Mike Shanahan just told me I need to learn how to hyper-classify Chesterfield oysters.
I needed that this morning, thanks Alvin!! I can always count on you
__________________
Lafayette, we're here.

HTTR. You wern't a bunch of losers on 10-27-14.
CrustyRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:32 AM   #195
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 31
Posts: 12,514
Post Re: Shanahan Tells Banks He Better Learn to Play WR

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
Over the years with the Redskins team regardless who the coach was or what era it was, since the end of the first Joe Gibbs era, players have been drafted or either signed by the Redskins front office and lasted a few years and then they are waived only to be picked up by other teams. Before you know it, those players end up with Super Bowl rings or at least Super Bowl appearances. Essentially what I'm suggesting is it's happened so often that I wouldn't be at all surprised if Brandon Banks is cut and then is picked up by one of the other 31 NFL teams and flourishes into one of the best return men in the NFL.

Case in point the most recent Redskin to benefit from no longer being a Redskin was Devin Thomas, who everybody in Redskins Nation don't think is that good. If Mike Shanahan wasn't that much of a micro managing head coach and overlooked what Thomas was doing, he might have still been on the Redskins roster and never earned a Super Bowl ring with the NYG. The fact of the matter is being released and picked up by other teams and then moving on to do better elsewhere has happened with former Redskins players more than it should have.
Name former skins who have played a significant role in the success of their following teams not named Antonio Pierce
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.29068 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25