Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


CSN: "The 53: OL starters look set, battles for reserve spots"

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2012, 05:12 PM   #46
Gamebreaker
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 12,616
Re: CSN: "The 53: OL starters look set, battles for reserve spots"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
It looks like we tried to spread the ball to the ends more than most teams. I am sure others can look at the numbers and align them to the reality, but overall, I think our line was better than most fans perception of it, and that given another year of familiarity, they will not be seen as our top weakness. (Safeties probably will claim that)
I think we can run the ball pretty well, which is cruicial. Helu and Royster ran very good for a rookie tandem and you gotta give credit to the line for some of that production.

I think we pass protect below average, which scares me a little more with a rookie back there this year. My questions in protection is this 1. Is JB gonna be a turnstile? (we will blame it on injury AGAIN if he is) 2. Can Kory L heal and return to the same level he was playing out at out the gate at year? 3. Is Silverblunt going to get serious about pass protection?

We need these 3 things to come through to say we have gotten better at pass protection...we added much need youth and depth, but you cant expect much at this point from them cause their green. I dont know if all 3 can come through, certainly we need a couple.
__________________
Boycott Rolling Stone Magazine
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-18-2012, 06:51 PM   #47
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,882
Re: CSN: "The 53: OL starters look set, battles for reserve spots"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I think we can run the ball pretty well, which is cruicial. Helu and Royster ran very good for a rookie tandem and you gotta give credit to the line for some of that production.

I think we pass protect below average, which scares me a little more with a rookie back there this year. My questions in protection is this 1. Is JB gonna be a turnstile? (we will blame it on injury AGAIN if he is) 2. Can Kory L heal and return to the same level he was playing out at out the gate at year? 3. Is Silverblunt going to get serious about pass protection?

We need these 3 things to come through to say we have gotten better at pass protection...we added much need youth and depth, but you cant expect much at this point from them cause their green. I dont know if all 3 can come through, certainly we need a couple.
Let's see if our pass protect doesn't look amazingly better with a qb, that can elude the first guy, and hit receivers in stride. (which we all hope that RGIII can). Also, a qb who can freeze a linebacker due to his speed. It may be that we see quite an improvement from those factors even with the same basic front.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:01 PM   #48
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: CSN: "The 53: OL starters look set, battles for reserve spots"

I wish we could have addressed the RT position via FA.
I tired of keeping my fingers crossed that Jamaal Brown (a) won't be injured (b) won't suck.
But, on the positive side Willie Smith showed well when he got his snaps/starts at RT.

Kory L is a good player if he's healthy, if he's not I feel pretty good about Maurice Hurt another rookie who flashed some ability when he got his starts

It would be cool if Josh LeRib could provide an upgrade somewhere along the interior OL (Chester? Will Montgomery?)
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:06 PM   #49
Registered User
 
CultBrennan59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,527
Re: CSN: "The 53: OL starters look set, battles for reserve spots"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
I wish we could have addressed the RT position via FA.
I tired of keeping my fingers crossed that Jamaal Brown (a) won't be injured (b) won't suck.
But, on the positive side Willie Smith showed well when he got his snaps/starts at RT.

Kory L is a good player if he's healthy, if he's not I feel pretty good about Maurice Hurt another rookie who flashed some ability when he got his starts

It would be cool if Josh LeRib could provide an upgrade somewhere along the interior OL (Chester? Will Montgomery?)
I wish we could have gotten Eric Winston, but Oh well! He clearly wanted money over contender (not that we are one now)
CultBrennan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:18 PM   #50
Gamebreaker
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 12,616
Re: CSN: "The 53: OL starters look set, battles for reserve spots"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Let's see if our pass protect doesn't look amazingly better with a qb, that can elude the first guy, and hit receivers in stride. (which we all hope that RGIII can). Also, a qb who can freeze a linebacker due to his speed. It may be that we see quite an improvement from those factors even with the same basic front.
This has been said several times this offseason and I just dont like that statement. Yes it will help with quick pass protection breakdowns where he should be quicker in a small space than Rex, but overall I dunno. I think the RG3 affect will be greater with wide receivers than Oline.
__________________
Boycott Rolling Stone Magazine
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:16 AM   #51
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
This has been said several times this offseason and I just dont like that statement. Yes it will help with quick pass protection breakdowns where he should be quicker in a small space than Rex, but overall I dunno. I think the RG3 affect will be greater with wide receivers than Oline.
Three questions:
Do you think our oline will ever allow a 10 sack game with Griffin as qb?

Do you think that with time running out Griffin will hold the ball and give up a sack fumble a la rex in the Cowboys game?

Do you think the line ain't gonna love getting homemade beignets(hell I would block for those LOL) for a 0 sack day?() (just RGIII's offering of this was an excellent tactic)

Clearly I say RGIII will improve both the first two, based on expectations of his speed and quicker/more accurate release. Line play in pass protect requires something from a qb and the fact we were 15th even with 3 john beck games means we WILL see an improvement no matter what.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #52
Gamebreaker
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 12,616
Re: CSN: "The 53: OL starters look set, battles for reserve spots"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Three questions:
Do you think our oline will ever allow a 10 sack game with Griffin as qb?

Do you think that with time running out Griffin will hold the ball and give up a sack fumble a la rex in the Cowboys game?

Do you think the line ain't gonna love getting homemade beignets(hell I would block for those LOL) for a 0 sack day?() (just RGIII's offering of this was an excellent tactic)

Clearly I say RGIII will improve both the first two, based on expectations of his speed and quicker/more accurate release. Line play in pass protect requires something from a qb and the fact we were 15th even with 3 john beck games means we WILL see an improvement no matter what.
1. Ugh dont bring that game up. Only time Ive seen the team completely not show up to a game in the Shanny era (as oppose to every other game under Zorn). I dont think so, fingers-crossed???
2. One thing I dont see with RG3 is indecisiveness, so no.
3. Ive never had a beignet but damn I want to try one. So great tactic. Id blocked for one.

One thing that strikes me with our line is the youth movement at depth. Im really liken the guys and plan we seemed to have developed there. My pick for young OL player to most likely shine in camp Compton. I think he could be starter material next year.
__________________
Boycott Rolling Stone Magazine
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:19 PM   #53
Playmaker
 
Alvin Walton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Holland, Michigan
Posts: 4,439
Re: CSN: "The 53: OL starters look set, battles for reserve spots"

You guys should be nicer to Reed Doughty.
He's a veteran and has been given the rice of patches.
__________________
REDSKINS FAN SINCE 1968
Alvin Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:46 PM   #54
The Starter
 
sdskinsfan2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Age: 31
Posts: 1,198
Re: CSN: "The 53: OL starters look set, battles for reserve spots"

My ideal starting 5 lineman (I'm generally always in favor of going with the younger guys 1st if there isn't much of a talent drop off from a veteran)

LT - Silverback
LG - Lichtensteiger
C - LeRibeus
RG - Hurt/Gettis (whoever is better in camp)
RT - Smith

Keep whoever doesn't start between Hurt and Gettis for depth, along with Compton. After those 2 I'm open to keeping any combo of the others for depth. Those are the core 7 lineman I want to go with.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:58 PM   #55
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: CSN: "The 53: OL starters look set, battles for reserve spots"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
LT - Silverback
LG - Lichtensteiger
C - LeRibeus
RG - Hurt/Gettis (whoever is better in camp)
RT - Smith
I like the way you think.
Although the right side of the line would be a tad bit inexperienced; it would be line-up I would be look forward to watching grow and gel.
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:53 PM   #56
The Starter
 
REDSKINS4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Born and raised in D.C.....but I'm a New Yorker now....
Posts: 2,208
Re: CSN: "The 53: OL starters look set, battles for reserve spots"

Will Montgomery isn't worth mentioning? Christ Forester definitely graded him above Casey Rabach. But I wouldn't be surprised if this Josh LeRibeus kid is starting to begin the season. But didn't the Redskins draft LeRibeus as a guard?
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:08 PM   #57
Registered User
 
CultBrennan59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,527
Re: CSN: "The 53: OL starters look set, battles for reserve spots"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
My ideal starting 5 lineman (I'm generally always in favor of going with the younger guys 1st if there isn't much of a talent drop off from a veteran)

LT - Silverback
LG - Lichtensteiger
C - LeRibeus
RG - Hurt/Gettis (whoever is better in camp)
RT - Smith

Keep whoever doesn't start between Hurt and Gettis for depth, along with Compton. After those 2 I'm open to keeping any combo of the others for depth. Those are the core 7 lineman I want to go with.
I'll tell you this, there is a fairly large drop off between Hurt/Gettis and Chris Chester. Chester was a very solid guard for us last year. Is he a probowler? No. But with what we have it doesn't make sense to not play him.

LT-Trent
LG-LeRibeus
C- Montgomery
RG-Chester
RT- Smith

Trents obvious. LeRibeus will start since Lichtensteiger isn't healthy (ACL recovery). Montgomery was rated in the top half last year of best centers in the NFL. He is definitely a Center only though IMO, I didn't like him when he was at Guard. I already mentioned chester above. Now to RT. The position makes me want to throw up. You have a former pro-bowler at LT removed from Hip surgery, a 2nd year undrafted guy who can fill in for a few games but hasn't shown starter material--aka consistency, then you have Tyler Polumbus. I put Willie Smith down, because he will play the most at RT for us this year, but Jamal Brown starts and yes we see either Compton or Polumbus, I'll go with Compton.
CultBrennan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:50 PM   #58
The Starter
 
REDSKINS4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Born and raised in D.C.....but I'm a New Yorker now....
Posts: 2,208
Re: CSN: "The 53: OL starters look set, battles for reserve spots"

It looks as if the same offensive line that started the season last year, will do so this year. Trent Williams has shown potential the last two seasons, but he's truly nowhere near where Chris Samuels was at going into his third season. Williams, I think, is going to have a pro bowl year.

Kory Lichtensteiger is coming from off a terrible knee injury. He's in my opinion, and many others, the best overall offensive lineman the REDSKINS have. He's done well and is solid at left guard.


Will Montgomery is solid. He's not Jeff Saturday or Mangold of the Jets, but he's dependable and serviceable. He should start all 16 games.

Chris Chester is pretty good at right guard. He got criticized a little last season for not staying with his blocks and allowing too much penetration on his side. But last year was his first in Mike Shanahan's zone blocking scheme. He should be much better heading into his second season with the team.

Jamaal Brown rehabilitated his injured hip all offseason. He did lots of yoga and he says because of it, his hip has felt better than it has in a long time. Does this guarantee that he'll stay healthy for 16 games for the first time as a Redskin? No. Even if he doesn't stay healthy the full season, Brown should play far more games in a season than he has in the previous two.

Last edited by REDSKINS4ever; 07-24-2012 at 10:18 PM.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:21 PM   #59
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 11,042
Re: CSN: "The 53: OL starters look set, battles for reserve spots"

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
It looks as if the same offensive line that started the season last year, will do so this year. Trent Williams has shown potential the last two seasons, but he's truly nowhere near where Chris Samuels was at going into his third season. Williams, I think, is going to have a pro bowl year.

Kory Lichtensteiger is coming from off a terrible knee injury. He's in my opinion, and many others, the best overall offensive lineman the REDSKINS have. He's done well and is solid at left guard.


Will Montgomery is solid. He's not Jeff Saturday or Mangold of the Jets, but he's dependable and serviceable. He should start all 16 games.

Christ Chester is pretty good at right guard. He got criticized a little last season for not staying with his blocks and allowing too much penetration on his side. But last year was his first in Mike Shanahan's zone blocking scheme. He should be much better heading into his second season with the team.

Jamaal Brown rehabilitated his injured hip all offseason. He did lots of yoga and he says because of it, his hip has felt better than it has in a long time. Does this guarantee that he'll stay healthy for 16 games for the first time as a Redskin? No. Even if he doesn't stay healthy the full season, Brown should play far more games in a season than he has in the previous two.
He's been promoted to Messiah.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:18 PM   #60
The Starter
 
REDSKINS4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Born and raised in D.C.....but I'm a New Yorker now....
Posts: 2,208
Re: CSN: "The 53: OL starters look set, battles for reserve spots"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
He's been promoted to Messiah.
I just edited that. Thanks for pointing that out.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31261 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25