Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


We've got big trouble on the OL.

Redskins Locker Room


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 10:22 PM   #271
The Starter
 
REDSKINS4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Born and raised in D.C.....but I'm a New Yorker now....
Posts: 2,102
Re: We've got big trouble on the OL.

Reports have surfaced that Tyler Polumbus and Willie Smith have been inconsistent at training camp playing right tackle. The Redskins need assurance and insurance at this position. The team should sacrifice a 2nd or 3rd round draft selection for Ravens T Michael Oher. But unfortunately for us, Baltimore would never make that trade.
REDSKINS4ever is offline  

Advertisements
Old 08-04-2012, 10:29 PM   #272
Pro Bowl
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 7,301
Re: We've got big trouble on the OL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
Reports have surfaced that Tyler Polumbus and Willie Smith have been inconsistent at training camp playing right tackle. The Redskins need assurance and insurance at this position. The team should sacrifice a 2nd or 3rd round draft selection for Ravens T Michael Oher. But unfortunately for us, Baltimore would never make that trade.
From the WP:

●It will be interesting to see where new addition Tony Moll works his way into the offensive line equation. He has played guard and tackle but will be a guard for Washington. With Kory Lichtensteiger rehabbing and Maurice Hurt and Josh LeRibeus displaying inconsistent play, another guy is definitely worth considering. Moll took part in some drills today but won’t practice fully until Tuesday. Hard to envision him playing Thursday.

Meanwhile, Jordan Black and Willie Smith have both gotten work at right tackle on the second team. Black so far looks like you’d expect an underweight guy that has been out of football to look. Smith has had some good moments and some struggles. And interim starter Tyler Polumbus is inconsistent as well. The good news for the Redskins is the preseason is still young.
__________________
Joe Gibbs- The best coach of all time, Lombardi trophy should be renamed Gibbs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.


Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline  
Old 08-05-2012, 07:54 AM   #273
The Starter
 
REDSKINS4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Born and raised in D.C.....but I'm a New Yorker now....
Posts: 2,102
Re: We've got big trouble on the OL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
From the WP:

●It will be interesting to see where new addition Tony Moll works his way into the offensive line equation. He has played guard and tackle but will be a guard for Washington. With Kory Lichtensteiger rehabbing and Maurice Hurt and Josh LeRibeus displaying inconsistent play, another guy is definitely worth considering. Moll took part in some drills today but won’t practice fully until Tuesday. Hard to envision him playing Thursday.

Meanwhile, Jordan Black and Willie Smith have both gotten work at right tackle on the second team. Black so far looks like you’d expect an underweight guy that has been out of football to look. Smith has had some good moments and some struggles. And interim starter Tyler Polumbus is inconsistent as well. The good news for the Redskins is the preseason is still young.
The Redskins haven't has a true right tackle since Jon Jansen. The fact of the matter is Polumbus is the best guy for the starting job at right tackle based on how well he performed at the position last year. But next off season, the Redskins need to address this position once and for all if there's inconsistent play all throughout this season.
REDSKINS4ever is offline  
Old 08-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #274
Impact Rookie
 
ethat001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 688
Re: We've got big trouble on the OL.

Hope this doesn't end up like the Zorn year when we just ran left the entire year... Remember a couple of series where there were about 7 left-sided runs in a row, including 3 in a row at the goal line... Ugh.

My gut feeling is that these issues will work out over time, likely w Polumbus starting. Won't be great, but hopefully will be serviceable. We spend a lot of time worrying about the O-line, but Shanny usually figures it out by mid season, and has had a history of fixing the O-line with low-end prospects. Unfortunately, it may mean we'll get Hightower / Cooley to help with the right sided blocks, which could limit some of their respective offensive production until next year.
ethat001 is offline  
Old 08-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #275
Special Teams
 
whistler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 120
Re: We've got big trouble on the OL.

Polumbu and Smith can dothe job at RT. Every team has a weak spot, although I don't think that is the skins'. We need to grow our own players, they shouldn't bring in anyone els give one of those guy's some confidence and let him play. Somebody within this regime signed those player's now let's let em play. "Next man up" and go get em.
whistler is offline  
Old 08-05-2012, 05:24 PM   #276
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 8,919
Re: We've got big trouble on the OL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistler View Post
Polumbu and Smith can dothe job at RT. Every team has a weak spot, although I don't think that is the skins'. We need to grow our own players, they shouldn't bring in anyone els give one of those guy's some confidence and let him play. Somebody within this regime signed those player's now let's let em play. "Next man up" and go get em.
^^^^^^Sounds like a plan......
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
Win! Always win!
By fair means or foul, by soft words and hard deeds...
by treachery, by cunning, by malpractice...
but always win--Edward Teach
Hog1 is offline  
Old 08-05-2012, 05:34 PM   #277
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 10,597
Re: We've got big trouble on the OL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistler View Post
Polumbu and Smith can dothe job at RT. Every team has a weak spot, although I don't think that is the skins'. We need to grow our own players, they shouldn't bring in anyone els give one of those guy's some confidence and let him play. Somebody within this regime signed those player's now let's let em play. "Next man up" and go get em.
I can appreciate that plan of use our own guys to take care of the issue, which is what we gonna have to do at this point. But RT has been an ongoing issue and we obviously havent plan accordingly. Its very concerning to read that Polumbus and Smith are both struggling right off the bat. Even an average Tackle who gets cut will be worth signing for depth issues.
__________________
@RSherman_25 just make sure you stay in Seattle cause without that pass rush you are who we thought you were. 5th rd PK no speed good hands

— DeAngelo Hall (@DeAngeloHall23) March 14, 2014
Chico23231 is online now  
Old 08-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #278
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,484
Re: We've got big trouble on the OL.

Why should we bring in an injured lineman?

It's tough to read much into Smith/Polumbus's struggles. Is it in one on one drills, or is it during actual plays. Because if it's the latter, it may be because RG3 (as we've been told) is holding the ball too long so the fault more so lies at his feet. Although, many people believe he's being told by Mike and Kyle to hold onto the ball and just go through all his reads and not worry so much right now about getting rid of the ball since he's not going to get touched anyway.

We'll know for sure on Thursday
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline  
Old 08-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #279
Playmaker
 
NYCskinfan82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Queens, NYC
Age: 44
Posts: 3,305
Re: We've got big trouble on the OL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Why should we bring in an injured lineman?

It's tough to read much into Smith/Polumbus's struggles. Is it in one on one drills, or is it during actual plays. Because if it's the latter, it may be because RG3 (as we've been told) is holding the ball too long so the fault more so lies at his feet. Although, many people believe he's being told by Mike and Kyle to hold onto the ball and just go through all his reads and not worry so much right now about getting rid of the ball since he's not going to get touched anyway.
We'll know for sure on Thursday
To me that makes alot of sense.
NYCskinfan82 is offline  
Old 08-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #280
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 79,431
Re: We've got big trouble on the OL.

I definitely buy the theory that he's holding the ball for the purpose of learning his progressions. That's why it's called practice.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline  
Old 08-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #281
The Starter
 
REDSKINS4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Born and raised in D.C.....but I'm a New Yorker now....
Posts: 2,102
Re: We've got big trouble on the OL.

I'm really not that big on those reserve free agent right tackles the Redskins have bought in the past few days. I understand Mike Shanahan wanting to give Jammal Brown the benefit of the doubt. He gave him a chance to get healthy, and Brown's hip remains a lingering problem. Within the first few days of free agency, Bruce Allen should have signed a quality right tackle. Willie Smith and Tyler Polumbus both did play well last year down the stretch, but the question is how capable are they both playing once the games count after preseason. Let's hope Shanahan didn't make a miscalculation by not cutting Brown.
REDSKINS4ever is offline  
Old 08-05-2012, 09:12 PM   #282
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,115
Re: We've got big trouble on the OL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I definitely buy the theory that he's holding the ball for the purpose of learning his progressions. That's why it's called practice.


So are you saying its too soon to call him Jason Campbell Jr.?
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline  
Old 08-05-2012, 10:40 PM   #283
The Starter
 
rypper11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Winston Salem, NC
Posts: 1,224
Re: We've got big trouble on the OL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
I'm really not that big on those reserve free agent right tackles the Redskins have bought in the past few days. I understand Mike Shanahan wanting to give Jammal Brown the benefit of the doubt. He gave him a chance to get healthy, and Brown's hip remains a lingering problem. Within the first few days of free agency, Bruce Allen should have signed a quality right tackle. Willie Smith and Tyler Polumbus both did play well last year down the stretch, but the question is how capable are they both playing once the games count after preseason. Let's hope Shanahan didn't make a miscalculation by not cutting Brown.
How? With the sanctions his hands were tied a little. And who?
__________________
Playing a kids game for a kings ransom.
rypper11 is offline  
Old 08-05-2012, 11:14 PM   #284
The Starter
 
REDSKINS4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Born and raised in D.C.....but I'm a New Yorker now....
Posts: 2,102
Re: We've got big trouble on the OL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypper11 View Post
How? With the sanctions his hands were tied a little. And who?
They did draft a tackle in the 6th round. But they still gave too much leeway to Brown. Mike Shanahan surely could have thought of the strong possibility that this man's hip wasn't going to ever heal. And through all of the rehab and the yoga, his hip didn't. That's a bad miscalculation by the head coach. Shanahan does think highly of Polumbus, but is Polumbus 16 game starting material? They should've gone after Bruce Campbell or perhaps made a trade. Now they are scrambling no names into camp to cover a position that doesn't look too solid at present.
REDSKINS4ever is offline  
Old 08-05-2012, 11:26 PM   #285
Pro Bowl
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 7,301
Re: We've got big trouble on the OL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
They did draft a tackle in the 6th round. But they still gave too much leeway to Brown. Mike Shanahan surely could have thought of the strong possibility that this man's hip wasn't going to ever heal. And through all of the rehab and the yoga, his hip didn't. That's a bad miscalculation by the head coach. Shanahan does think highly of Polumbus, but is Polumbus 16 game starting material? They should've gone after Bruce Campbell or perhaps made a trade. Now they are scrambling no names into camp to cover a position that doesn't look too solid at present.
Let Smith and Polumbus play the exhibition games before we say they can't play. Both showed promise and improvement last year (especially Smith) I'll panic after the 4th exhibition game if they both suck.
__________________
Joe Gibbs- The best coach of all time, Lombardi trophy should be renamed Gibbs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.


Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.30788 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25