Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


We've got big trouble on the OL.

Redskins Locker Room


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2012, 09:11 PM   #406
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusFrerotte View Post
That being said, it will be a good season for us. I am not going to predict a record, but whatever happens the future will look bright. Next draft better see a bunch of o linemen selected.
Honestly I'd say 8-8 would be a really good start for griff
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline  

Advertisements
Old 08-11-2012, 11:10 PM   #407
Playmaker
 
NYCskinfan82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Queens, NYC
Age: 44
Posts: 3,314
Re: We've got big trouble on the OL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Honestly I'd say 8-8 would be a really good start for griff
That's what I'm thinking. But I'm dreaming 10-6.
NYCskinfan82 is offline  
Old 08-11-2012, 11:30 PM   #408
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,098
Re: We've got big trouble on the OL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGIII View Post
This OL isn't built for the power running game. That's ok.
Um okay? We don't run power.
We run zone blocking scheme with an emphasis on stretch outside zone which they struggled to execute.
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline  
Old 08-12-2012, 01:11 AM   #409
Registered User
 
GusFrerotte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Detroit area
Posts: 4,153
Re: We've got big trouble on the OL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Honestly I'd say 8-8 would be a really good start for griff
I know Okie, but every year for the last shoot since Norv's final year I go to the old tried and true 8-8 to 10-6 routine and it usually doesn't work out that way, so I don't want to sound like a broken record all the time. Our schedule is brutal in November, but rather tame in my opinion in Sept and into October. Intradivisional games of course are always tough, but the beginning of the schedule maybe can be a tuning up period for Robert.
GusFrerotte is offline  
Old 08-12-2012, 12:55 PM   #410
Playmaker
 
HailGreen28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,528
Re: We've got big trouble on the OL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
Um okay? We don't run power.
We run zone blocking scheme with an emphasis on stretch outside zone which they struggled to execute.
And it always takes a while for a line to get good. Especially at ZBS. I'm not that upbeat on our OL after the Buffalo game. I think if we start the regular season now, opposing defenses keep pounding our line like Buffalo did the first two series.

Love how Griffin played, though. The kid looks more and more the real deal we're been hoping for. 'Course Rex and Beck looked good in preseason last year too. But RGIII played much better Thursday than they had last season.

Looking forward to seeing them open up the offense, as they move forward. Running more rollouts and options like they have in practice. As long as they don't expose Griffin too much. I'm really worried an uncovered DE is going to take him out.
HailGreen28 is offline  
Old 08-12-2012, 05:27 PM   #411
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,098
Re: We've got big trouble on the OL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailGreen28 View Post
And it always takes a while for a line to get good. Especially at ZBS. I'm not that upbeat on our OL after the Buffalo game. I think if we start the regular season now, opposing defenses keep pounding our line like Buffalo did the first two series.
I think regular they can scheme to make the OL more productive.
I think for the purposes of evaluation there was an emphasis on one-v-one blocking at the point and getting to the second level.
I think in a regular season game they can put greater emphasis on combination/double team blocks to drive the DL off the line then peel to get to the second level.

Also, I think there will/should be much more diversity to the run game then outside stretch zone right.


Quote:
Love how Griffin played, though. The kid looks more and more the real deal we're been hoping for. 'Course Rex and Beck looked good in preseason last year too. But RGIII played much better Thursday than they had last season.
I don't agree but I get your point.
Griffin certainly looked poised.
But he was very well managed with the playcalling and had clearly defined reads as result was playing simple pitch and catch.
Griffin also didn't face many blitz looks nor did he throw a high volume of passes.
But, yes I like the way Griffin looked, just would have liked to see him get more work.

Quote:
Looking forward to seeing them open up the offense, as they move forward. Running more rollouts and options like they have in practice. As long as they don't expose Griffin too much. I'm really worried an uncovered DE is going to take him out.
I'm worried about that too, not so much the roll-outs but the zone-read stuff.
At some point in preseason you would think they have to test their new concepts against a live defense.
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline  
Old 08-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #412
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,324
Re: We've got big trouble on the OL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
I think regular they can scheme to make the OL more productive.
I think for the purposes of evaluation there was an emphasis on one-v-one blocking at the point and getting to the second level.
I think in a regular season game they can put greater emphasis on combination/double team blocks to drive the DL off the line then peel to get to the second level.

Also, I think there will/should be much more diversity to the run game then outside stretch zone right.


I don't agree but I get your point.
Griffin certainly looked poised.
But he was very well managed with the playcalling and had clearly defined reads as result was playing simple pitch and catch.
Griffin also didn't face many blitz looks nor did he throw a high volume of passes.
But, yes I like the way Griffin looked, just would have liked to see him get more work.

I'm worried about that too, not so much the roll-outs but the zone-read stuff.
At some point in preseason you would think they have to test their new concepts against a live defense.
I agree. You can't show all of your plays in preseason but you can't go into New Orleans in week 1 with a bunch of untested stuff, either.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.

Last edited by Lotus; 08-12-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Lotus is offline  
Old 08-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #413
The Starter
 
44Deezel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Davidsonville
Posts: 1,605
Re: We've got big trouble on the OL.

The backup O-line gave up 10 sacks in the last 6 games and Helu and Royster had 4 or 5 100 yard games. 0h and Rex cement feet was our QB. Why is the O line so maligned again?
__________________
I am a system poster.
44Deezel is offline  
Old 08-12-2012, 11:23 PM   #414
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: We've got big trouble on the OL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooleyAsCanBe View Post
I saw on TV last night that the x-rays were negative, so Williams should be fine. He said he wasn't sure if he'd practice at the beginning of the week, but that there shouldn't be any long-term issues.

He was injured on the touchdown play and I have to say, both Garcon and RGIII owe him some beignets. Williams was 10 yards downfield and blocked two Bills players to clear the lane. Glad to see him moving closer to his potential.
I think it was Moss blocking on that play too...big props to teamwork
The Goat is offline  
Old 08-13-2012, 12:19 AM   #415
Playmaker
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 42
Posts: 4,910
Re: We've got big trouble on the OL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusFrerotte View Post
I know Okie, but every year for the last shoot since Norv's final year I go to the old tried and true 8-8 to 10-6 routine and it usually doesn't work out that way, so I don't want to sound like a broken record all the time. Our schedule is brutal in November, but rather tame in my opinion in Sept and into October. Intradivisional games of course are always tough, but the beginning of the schedule maybe can be a tuning up period for Robert.
If you consider New Orleans, Cincy, Giants, Pittsburgh, and Atlanta tame than I dont even want to see brutal...........

Eventually a team just HAS to turn the corner - even last year when we only won 5, we were actually within a stones throw from winning 7 more. If there is one thing this team has shown me over recent years is that we play to the level of our competition and usually our wins come against the better teams that go far into the playoffs, and lose to the teams that finish with worse records than we do. Its actually uncanny if you look at the results. I know RG-3 is a rookie but Ill be damned if he isnt better as a rookie than anything we have seen under center in some time. The Giants were 7-7 last year and dead in the water - than got hot and won it all. We can do the same thing, hell we beat them twice. QB play, QB play, QB play - how quickly we forget how Rex and Beck cost us so many crucial downs, throws, plays, and wins.
punch it in is offline  
Old 08-13-2012, 09:36 AM   #416
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,146
Re: We've got big trouble on the OL.

John Keim ‏@john_keim

#redskins announce they've signed OL Chris Campbell. Released WR Darius Hanks
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline  
Old 08-13-2012, 09:38 AM   #417
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,502
Re: We've got big trouble on the OL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
John Keim ‏@john_keim

#redskins announce they've signed OL Chris Campbell. Released WR Darius Hanks
Think we posted at the same time. I'm actually going to close this thread down and we'll start with a fresh one
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.36684 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25