Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Redskins Sign K Billy Cundiff, Release Gano

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack (2) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 09:19 AM   #31
The Starter
 
mbedner3420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,827
Re: Redskins Sign K Billy Cundiff, Release Gano

Rackers cut... Cundiff signed... Gano Cut? Boy, that escalated quickly.

Last edited by mbedner3420; 08-28-2012 at 09:24 AM.
mbedner3420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-28-2012, 09:24 AM   #32
The Starter
 
mbedner3420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,827
Re: Redskins Sign K Billy Cundiff, Release Gano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
2 things..

1. Cundiff is pretty much automatic from inside 50 yards, which Gano was not. Cundiff is an automatic touchback, Gano could boom them as well but also had the propensity to kick it out of bounds in a poor attempt at a directional kick. Cundiff was considered a top 10 kicker, Gano was bottom third. It's an upgrade.

2. The fact that we are bemoaning a kicker move and the fate of Graham Gano speaks volumes to how stable and sane this offseason has been. It's nice to go into a season with little to no drama for once.
That is actually a really, really good point.
mbedner3420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:24 AM   #33
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,572
Re: Redskins Sign K Billy Cundiff, Release Gano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
2 things..

1. Cundiff is pretty much automatic from inside 50 yards, which Gano was not. Cundiff is an automatic touchback, Gano could boom them as well but also had the propensity to kick it out of bounds in a poor attempt at a directional kick. Cundiff was considered a top 10 kicker, Gano was bottom third. It's an upgrade.

2. The fact that we are bemoaning a kicker move and the fate of Graham Gano speaks volumes to how stable and sane this offseason has been. It's nice to go into a season with little to no drama for once.
Ok I'm buying what you're selling.

Gano is no huge loss, if Cundiff can be money inside the 50 that right there is a big deal.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:44 AM   #34
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Redskins Sign K Billy Cundiff, Release Gano

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
6. The best kicking leg in the league: whacked. You can look it up. Over the past two years, Billy Cundiff is a 90 percent field goal kicker inside the 50 (53 of 59), and no other kicker averaged more yards per kickoff (69.5) or had more touchbacks than his 84. But the Ravens, bugged more by his 1-of-7 from 50-plus in the last two seasons than his crucial miss in the AFC title game last January, cut him Sunday. They prefer to save $1.5 million on the cap and go with a four-year kickoff man from the University of Texas, Justin Tucker. Risky move for a Super Bowl contender.

Read more: Russell Wilson quiets critics in Seattle; Vontae Davis fallout - Peter King - SI.com
Super Bowl Contender, they don't even make the playoffs this year.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:46 AM   #35
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Redskins Sign K Billy Cundiff, Release Gano

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
This signing makes 0 sense.
Yeah, what the hell?

I expected this to be a joke thread by Smoot since he was asking for it yesterday.

I hate this move.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:49 AM   #36
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 28
Posts: 14,444
Re: Redskins Sign K Billy Cundiff, Release Gano

Take that you Chick Fil-a loving shanker

Graham Gano wades into Chick-fil-A debate - DC Sports Bog - The Washington Post
__________________
"Hey baby, wake up from your a sleep." -Zlad

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #37
Impact Rookie
 
Evilgrin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 621
Re: Redskins Sign K Billy Cundiff, Release Gano

Really nice move, the Ravens wanted the cap space, this is a good upgrade.
Evilgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:04 AM   #38
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,419
Re: Redskins Sign K Billy Cundiff, Release Gano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Cundiff over Rackers? Not sure I get this move.
I agree. WTF?????


I'd rather have Gano than Cundiff any day to the week. So if we are 40 yards out, we might as well be going for it.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #39
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,606
Re: Redskins Sign K Billy Cundiff, Release Gano

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Super Bowl Contender, they don't even make the playoffs this year.
I think they make the Super Bowl this year
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:07 AM   #40
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,419
Re: Redskins Sign K Billy Cundiff, Release Gano

@JohnKeim Surprised by this: Cundiff has attempted more than 25 kicks in a season five times; has made more than 80 percent of his kicks once.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:11 AM   #41
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,593
Re: Redskins Sign K Billy Cundiff, Release Gano

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I think they make the Super Bowl this year
Please enlighten us how?

Their old defense has gotten a year older and has lost their best playmaker for at least the majority of the regular season.

They have a difficult schedule.

And well their offense is still their offense. Good but not great.

I don't see it but everyone has their opinion.
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:14 AM   #42
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,606
Re: Redskins Sign K Billy Cundiff, Release Gano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
Yeah, what the hell?

I expected this to be a joke thread by Smoot since he was asking for it yesterday.

I hate this move.
Well, I wasn't asking for them to sign him and cut Gano. I just suggested they bring him in today (as today is a common day to bring in vets anyway) and try him out. I mean he's right up the street, just bring him in, let him kick some. See what's he got and keep him your back pocket if/when necessary.

I'm not the Gano fan that others are, but I do feel bad for him. Shanahan has never been a strong fan of Gano's either, but Danny Smith fought for him and he stayed on. I suspect MS' plan was that Gano could stay until he found someone better. For whatever reason, he felt that-basically sight unseen-Cundiff was that someone better.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:17 AM   #43
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,606
Re: Redskins Sign K Billy Cundiff, Release Gano

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Please enlighten us how?

Their old defense has gotten a year older and has lost their best playmaker for at least the majority of the regular season.

They have a difficult schedule.

And well their offense is still their offense. Good but not great.

I don't see it but everyone has their opinion.
Well I picked the Patriots last year and I didn't feel like picking them again, and I just don't see anyone else that really blows me away...but anyway, this is not the thread for that
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:17 AM   #44
The Starter
 
mbedner3420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,827
Re: Redskins Sign K Billy Cundiff, Release Gano

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Well, I wasn't asking for them to sign him and cut Gano. I just suggested they bring him in today (as today is a common day to bring in vets anyway) and try him out. I mean he's right up the street, just bring him in, let him kick some. See what's he got and keep him your back pocket if/when necessary.

I'm not the Gano fan that others are, but I do feel bad for him. Shanahan has never been a strong fan of Gano's either, but Danny Smith fought for him and he stayed on. I suspect MS' plan was that Gano could stay until he found someone better. For whatever reason, he felt that-basically sight unseen-Cundiff was that someone better.
He must have really disliked Neil Rackers then...
mbedner3420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:17 AM   #45
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,593
Re: Redskins Sign K Billy Cundiff, Release Gano

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
@JohnKeim Surprised by this: Cundiff has attempted more than 25 kicks in a season five times; has made more than 80 percent of his kicks once.

Stats, numbers, percents, etc... can be manipulated any way to either sound good or bad.

Look her it is manipulated to sound like Cundiff is good:

6. The best kicking leg in the league: whacked. You can look it up. Over the past two years, Billy Cundiff is a 90 percent field goal kicker inside the 50 (53 of 59), and no other kicker averaged more yards per kickoff (69.5) or had more touchbacks than his 84. But the Ravens, bugged more by his 1-of-7 from 50-plus in the last two seasons than his crucial miss in the AFC title game last January, cut him Sunday. They prefer to save $1.5 million on the cap and go with a four-year kickoff man from the University of Texas, Justin Tucker. Risky move for a Super Bowl contender.


Bottom line; Redskins said we need more accuracy inside 50 yards then we do outside of 50 yards. They are rolling the dice. They want to make sure they make the layups and take a chance of on their 3PT percentage. That is what Cundiff gives them over Gano.
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.28469 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25