Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Full Blown Mutiny

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2005, 11:26 PM   #46
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 33
Posts: 17,584
Re: Full Blown Mutiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryssg
Honestly if I were one of these guys I wouldnt give a damn how much money I made, as long as I was making a living playing football. The one job in the world that to this day I still wish that I could have. My attention would be on winning games as opposed to how many more millions I can get in a year, or how many catches, or how many yards. But I am not one of these players nor will I ever be.
I would say that those overpayed palyers should take some time out to think about the people who don't make as much money. Or even contemplate how much other people will (no matter how bad the team is)give almost anything just to be given the opportunity to play the game professionally. But, that is probly too much to ask. They have already walked in our shoes once and they are not comming back. Greed has taken over, and the team that gave you your first shot at the pros isnt good enough anymore. You have proved your worth, and you are going to get yours no matter what.
The one thing that I am gratefuly for is that our United States Service Men and Women do not often trade teams as often just because someone is flashing dollar signs in there faces. I am also glad tht they do not have greedy agents.
Amen to that. A few million more?! I mean people are SUPPOSED to be in this game for the love of it. I mean I would at LEAST hope that the love would at LEAST be 51% of the drive of a pro-athlete. If the desire for money outweighs the love of the game, then I don't see why there is any passion left in sports.
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-23-2005, 11:32 PM   #47
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,870
Re: Full Blown Mutiny

A lot of people in careers outside of sports are in it because they love it, yet they still try to maximize their worth monetarily when the opportunity arises
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 11:35 PM   #48
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 33
Posts: 17,584
Re: Full Blown Mutiny

I feel that when you're maximizing your worth at the expense of your word THAT is when the scales are tipped in favor of playing for money and not for the love of the game.
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 11:52 PM   #49
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: Full Blown Mutiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by smootsmack
A lot of people in careers outside of sports are in it because they love it, yet they still try to maximize their worth monetarily when the opportunity arises
And that is why the Japaneese are better businessmen than we are. Loyalty to the company as opposed to loyalty to self and money.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 12:21 AM   #50
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: Full Blown Mutiny

I'm of the opinion this guy should be made to play out the contract he signed two years ago and cry the blues all he wants when he's finished. Either he play out the cantract' or he shouldn't be allowed to play for anyone else.Personally I would not want the guy playing for me because what guarantee do I have that in two years he's not satisfied with the way I run my offense and decides he wants to cut a simular tune?

There's far too much of this kind of attitude in professional sports anymore and it should not be allowed, though I don't know what you do to stop it espically when a player can pull this kind of act and there's some other team just waiting to give him an opportunity to do the same thing to them.

I've been a fan of Pro-Football since 1948 and I have never seen the likes of many of the things that are allowed to go on in the game today. In the day when football was "Football" Mr. Coles would play for the Redskins or he "would not" play for anyone. Back to the day is the only way to rid the league of this type nonsense, because I would be afraid to think of what would happen to a team with 53 Mr. Coles on it. When you don't like the way things are going, hold the team hostage by making unreasonable demands. I would not even consider trading Mr. Coles, or allowing him out of his contract even if it cost me money. Because if you do this you open the door for a lot of other little Coles to do the same thing in the future. There's much too much of this kind of thing going on in the league now days anyway, and I just think someone should take a stand and say enough is enough.

Good Luck Skins!! Things will look up in 05
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 12:31 AM   #51
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,870
Re: Full Blown Mutiny

damn, a fan since 1948! You aren't kidding when you say longtimefan
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 12:32 AM   #52
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: Full Blown Mutiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan
I'm of the opinion this guy should be made to play out the contract he signed two years ago and cry the blues all he wants when he's finished. Either he play out the cantract' or he shouldn't be allowed to play for anyone else.Personally I would not want the guy playing for me because what guarantee do I have that in two years he's not satisfied with the way I run my offense and decides he wants to cut a simular tune?

There's far too much of this kind of attitude in professional sports anymore and it should not be allowed, though I don't know what you do to stop it espically when a player can pull this kind of act and there's some other team just waiting to give him an opportunity to do the same thing to them.

I've been a fan of Pro-Football since 1948 and I have never seen the likes of many of the things that are allowed to go on in the game today. In the day when football was "Football" Mr. Coles would play for the Redskins or he "would not" play for anyone. Back to the day is the only way to rid the league of this type nonsense, because I would be afraid to think of what would happen to a team with 53 Mr. Coles on it. When you don't like the way things are going, hold the team hostage by making unreasonable demands. I would not even consider trading Mr. Coles, or allowing him out of his contract even if it cost me money. Because if you do this you open the door for a lot of other little Coles to do the same thing in the future. There's much too much of this kind of thing going on in the league now days anyway, and I just think someone should take a stand and say enough is enough.

Good Luck Skins!! Things will look up in 05
I love it when veteran fans tell there war stories. I agree with him. Screw the whiny little sissy Coles get some real men who want to play.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 12:37 AM   #53
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 8,317
Re: Full Blown Mutiny

In all fairness angryssg, loyalty to one's football team isn't the same as loyalty to one's country.

And, while it's easy for us to say we'd all pay for nothing, or even pay to wear a 'Skins' uniform, it's probably a whole different story once you are a professional athlete. I don't believe that greed is something new to people - it's been around as long as people have been around.

Coles will be playing football whether he's a Redskin, Jet, Giant, Cowboy, etc. So, don't you think it's simply realistic for him to want to play for a team where he gets to play to his abilities?
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 12:38 AM   #54
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 8,317
Re: Full Blown Mutiny

BTW, angryssg, do you know a Col. Bruce Haverty? He was stationed at Ft. Gordon before he shipped out in support of Iraqi Freedom.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 12:52 AM   #55
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: Full Blown Mutiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramseyfan
BTW, angryssg, do you know a Col. Bruce Haverty? He was stationed at Ft. Gordon before he shipped out in support of Iraqi Freedom.
No, sorry I don't. I've only been here since OCT. I was overseas prior.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 01:17 AM   #56
Puppy Kicker
 
Daseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Age: 31
Posts: 8,224
Re: Full Blown Mutiny

This is somewhat off topic, one thing I thought was odd is football is so often compared to war and the players are seen as soliders. A soldier called a radio station I was listening to, and I've since forgotten the topic, but what stuck with me is how he compared all the people in his squadron, or whatever the small ones are called to players on a football team. I found it somewhat ironic.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 02:28 AM   #57
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 8,317
Re: Full Blown Mutiny

BTW, squadrons are usually (some special forces have squadrons) either aircraft/helicopter units or armored forces. Soldiers/marines are grouped into teams, squads, platoons, etc.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 11:27 AM   #58
Puppy Kicker
 
Daseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Age: 31
Posts: 8,224
Re: Full Blown Mutiny

yeah - I always get the terminology mixed up.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 02:47 PM   #59
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: Full Blown Mutiny

You touched on a very interesting topic when you say Mr. Coles will be playing for someone, Jets, Cowboys, ect. That's the problem, he in all likelehood will be playing with someone else, and I blame that someone else for giving him that opportunity when he's failed to uphold the last obligation he signed on to do.

When "Football was Football" as opposed to this money making circus that,s going on today, he would not play for anyone else because no one else would touch him. That,s the advantage players have today, the can mess over a team and move on elsewhere and get another opporyunity to do the same thing to that team.

Unfortunately, we dont share that same luxary in the real world.

Te Redskins will be fine with, or without Mr. Coles.

Hail Skins!! It's "UP" in 05
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 03:43 AM   #60
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,278
Re: Full Blown Mutiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramseyfan
Second, as you correctly point out, Coles was given a large signing bonus as security. But now, the team apparently wants back the signing bonus (or a portion thereof). I don't think on the one hand you can honestly say that he accepted the CBA and should be held to it, but he should ALSO give back the signing bonus (if you in fact believe that).
He wants to void the contract, they have no obligation to void it, so adding such conditions seems perfectly valid. He's held to the CBA, and under that agreement he cant quit his job AND keep collecting paychecks, or else everyone would do that.

about the spurs comments - they gave up money, but THEY WIN GAMES... A LOT OF THEM. The patriot have also had good luck paying players below performance due to their record.

part of the problem is that LC's injury slowed him down some, and he's still being paid as if he were 100%. The other problem is that gibbs has used lots of short passing routes and likes letting his WRs block.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.29360 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25