Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Around the NFL...Week 4 Style

Redskins Locker Room


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #121
The Starter
 
Mechanix544's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Fort Bliss, TX
Posts: 2,273
Re: Around the NFL...Week 4 Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by los panda View Post
my dad grew up in orlando before their were any fl teams. the browns games were broadcast most, how could you now be a fan of jim brown? so he's a die-hard browns fan. i call them my 2nd favorite team. i'm always pulling for them, they've been wallowing in the muck (of avarice - according to jake the snake) since byner got stripped.

they had a good draft this year, have several solid pieces, things are looking up. i'm just glad i picked them last night
Id rather be the 30th most valuable team in revenue, and the number one most valuable team in playoff and superbowl wins. who gives a shit about net worth of your franchise. That might mean something in baseball, not in this sport.
__________________
Ain't Nothin Like a Good B Western.

YEEHAW
Mechanix544 is offline  

Advertisements
Old 09-28-2012, 04:55 PM   #122
New HC, new hope!
 
RedskinRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: I'm in LA, trick!
Posts: 8,702
Re: Around the NFL...Week 4 Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanix544 View Post
Id rather be the 30th most valuable team in revenue, and the number one most valuable team in playoff and superbowl wins. who gives a shit about net worth of your franchise. That might mean something in baseball, not in this sport.
Agreed. It's not like we get a share of the revenue, we do get to enjoy the wins though.

HTTR!
RedskinRat is offline  
Old 09-28-2012, 04:55 PM   #123
The Starter
 
Mechanix544's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Fort Bliss, TX
Posts: 2,273
Re: Around the NFL...Week 4 Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinzman View Post
The problem with this line of thinking is that Walsh only won with Montana, Noll only won with Bradshaw, Jimmy Johnson only won with Aikman, Belichik only won with Brady, ect... The list goes on. And a lot of people believe that those teams could have won as constructed with a lot of other coaches at the helm.

If the point is that Joe Gibbs was a great coach because of 3 SB's with 3 different QB' and RB's, then im with you 100%.

If the point is that the only coaches who are considered good coaches have to have won SB's with high schoolers to prove that they can outcoach the other sideline. Under that scenario, there is no such thing as a good coach, they are all terrible.

I dont believe the problem is Shanny the coach. I believe the problem is Shanny the GM. Its easy to look outcoached when other teams are more talented than yours. I figured it would take several years after Vinny left office to make up for his mistakes, but its year 3, and we still have massive holes all over the place. Allen needs to have that final say on player acquisition imo.
Some might say Gibbs should have never returned to DC to coach the second time, but completely different circumstances.

Mike Shanahan won 2 super bowls, yes. Those 2 super bowls with a STUD qb like Elway. After Elway, he ran the Broncos organization in the ground. Not so bad the first 2 or 3 years after Elway, but then they REALLY started to go downhill. I lived in Colorado Springs at the time. I heard the talk radio around there. Noone thought Shanahan deserved the job after 2004. He completely screwed that defense. He has shown nothing but the same tendencies here, and I just hope that our stud QB can do everything in his power to get us to a superbowl in spite of a HC and OC that prefers to have him run a dozen designed runs a game against linebackers that eat glass for breakfast. I really hope his plan is better than that, cause Griffin is the ONLY reason we were even competitive in any of the games this year. I doubt anyone will attribute any of our success to any schemes or gameplan. I just hope the young fella stays healthy.
__________________
Ain't Nothin Like a Good B Western.

YEEHAW
Mechanix544 is offline  
Old 09-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #124
Pro Bowl
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 42
Posts: 5,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanix544 View Post
Some might say Gibbs should have never returned to DC to coach the second time, but completely different circumstances.

Mike Shanahan won 2 super bowls, yes. Those 2 super bowls with a STUD qb like Elway. After Elway, he ran the Broncos organization in the ground. Not so bad the first 2 or 3 years after Elway, but then they REALLY started to go downhill. I lived in Colorado Springs at the time. I heard the talk radio around there. Noone thought Shanahan deserved the job after 2004. He completely screwed that defense. He has shown nothing but the same tendencies here, and I just hope that our stud QB can do everything in his power to get us to a superbowl in spite of a HC and OC that prefers to have him run a dozen designed runs a game against linebackers that eat glass for breakfast. I really hope his plan is better than that, cause Griffin is the ONLY reason we were even competitive in any of the games this year. I doubt anyone will attribute any of our success to any schemes or gameplan. I just hope the young fella stays healthy.
Gibbs went to the playoffs twice. Shanny hasnt even sniffed em yet.
__________________
"Coaches who can outline plays on a black board are a dime a dozen. The ones who win get inside their player and motivate." Vince Lombardi
punch it in is offline  
Old 09-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #125
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,606
Re: Around the NFL...Week 4 Style

I think it's a bit unfair to assume Elway, Yoing, Plummer, Griese, Cutler, etc had success in spite of Shanahan. And it's too early to write off the young OL talent we just drafted this year. And how much better do you expect TW to be than when he was drafted? He wasn't exactly drafted as a developmental prospect. And are we just going to overlook all the Browns flaws? And why are we even talking about the Redkins vs Browns yet anyway?
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline  
Old 09-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #126
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,606
Re: Around the NFL...Week 4 Style

And people have to stop acting like all RG3 has done and all he will do is run. And stop putting the blame in Mike and Kyle when the offense is struggling yet not give them an iota of credit when the offense is successful. And don't botch about our coaches not playing to their players' strengths and then whine when they do.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline  
Old 09-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #127
The Starter
 
Mechanix544's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Fort Bliss, TX
Posts: 2,273
Re: Around the NFL...Week 4 Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Gibbs went to the playoffs twice. Shanny hasnt even sniffed em yet.
Thats my point m8. Some people say he made a mistake coming back. But he had a break in service, and still came back and took a rag tag team to the playoffs. Shanny hasn't been to the playoffs, in what, 9 years???????
__________________
Ain't Nothin Like a Good B Western.

YEEHAW
Mechanix544 is offline  
Old 09-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #128
Impact Rookie
 
Skinzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 667
Re: Around the NFL...Week 4 Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanix544 View Post
Some might say Gibbs should have never returned to DC to coach the second time, but completely different circumstances.

Mike Shanahan won 2 super bowls, yes. Those 2 super bowls with a STUD qb like Elway. After Elway, he ran the Broncos organization in the ground. Not so bad the first 2 or 3 years after Elway, but then they REALLY started to go downhill. I lived in Colorado Springs at the time. I heard the talk radio around there. Noone thought Shanahan deserved the job after 2004. He completely screwed that defense. He has shown nothing but the same tendencies here, and I just hope that our stud QB can do everything in his power to get us to a superbowl in spite of a HC and OC that prefers to have him run a dozen designed runs a game against linebackers that eat glass for breakfast. I really hope his plan is better than that, cause Griffin is the ONLY reason we were even competitive in any of the games this year. I doubt anyone will attribute any of our success to any schemes or gameplan. I just hope the young fella stays healthy.
If its about winning without a stud qb, then Brian Billick is the greatest coach ever. Although you removed the "wrong" from Joe Gibbs return line, what does that have to do with my point.

As for Denver going downhill after Elway, was Shanny the GM there as well. If so, thats why they went down, not because of Shanny the coach. He took Jake the snake and made him into a pro bowler. Jake Plummer was a terrible QB.

Elway leaves, they drop from SB champ to 6-10. Then go on to have several 10 win seasons including a 13 win season. He had two losing seasons in Denver, one of those following a massive 2 SB hangover AND losing a STUD QB. If losing a STUD QB such as Elway, then rebuilding that 6-10 team into a 13 win team at one point means he ran it into the ground, then what exactly do you call a good coach? When the expectation is 21 undefeated seasons and 14 SB's IN A ROW, such as Denver fans expected after 2 with Elway, of course they are going to complain about a 13 win season that doesnt end in a SB victory. Would you as a Redskin fan complain right now over a 13 win season and a playoff run? I say yes, because taking a team that had lost 10 games a couple of season before and turning them into a 13 win team is apparently your definition of running them into the ground.

Oh btw, that 13 win season, was in 05'. Ya know, the year that Broncos fans say Shanny should have never been there. 04' 10-6, 03' 10-6. So Shanny went 10-6, 10-6, 13-3 in consecutive seasons. And then you use these 3 seasons as absolute undeniable proof of the Broncos being ran into the ground... Really?
Skinzman is offline  
Old 09-28-2012, 05:20 PM   #129
The Starter
 
Mechanix544's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Fort Bliss, TX
Posts: 2,273
Re: Around the NFL...Week 4 Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
And people have to stop acting like all RG3 has done and all he will do is run. And stop putting the blame in Mike and Kyle when the offense is struggling yet not give them an iota of credit when the offense is successful. And don't botch about our coaches not playing to their players' strengths and then whine when they do.
You want to go along and have blind faith in a guy that was 47-17 with Elway, and then barely .500 without, and had one of the leagues worst defenses for going on 5 years his last seasons in Denver, go right ahead. I thought baseball was the only sport that gave jobs and big contracts for past performances, I guess I was wrong, because Shanahan did absolutely NOTHING in his last 10 years with the Broncos to warrant his hire (one playoff victory). I want to have faith in Shanahan, and I try to, but I believe that there are better people, or should I say better coaches out there than him, and ones that would do a better job. Not saying that I have all the answers, but I believe that there are many people that could be doing a much better job than he is. Sucks that its gonna take 4 or 5 years of below .500 football to figure out that RG3 might have been the only good decision he made during his tenure in Washington.
__________________
Ain't Nothin Like a Good B Western.

YEEHAW

Last edited by Mechanix544; 09-28-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Mechanix544 is offline  
Old 09-28-2012, 05:25 PM   #130
The Starter
 
Mechanix544's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Fort Bliss, TX
Posts: 2,273
Re: Around the NFL...Week 4 Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinzman View Post
If its about winning without a stud qb, then Brian Billick is the greatest coach ever. Although you removed the "wrong" from Joe Gibbs return line, what does that have to do with my point.

As for Denver going downhill after Elway, was Shanny the GM there as well. If so, thats why they went down, not because of Shanny the coach. He took Jake the snake and made him into a pro bowler. Jake Plummer was a terrible QB.

Elway leaves, they drop from SB champ to 6-10. Then go on to have several 10 win seasons including a 13 win season. He had two losing seasons in Denver, one of those following a massive 2 SB hangover AND losing a STUD QB. If losing a STUD QB such as Elway, then rebuilding that 6-10 team into a 13 win team at one point means he ran it into the ground, then what exactly do you call a good coach? When the expectation is 21 undefeated seasons and 14 SB's IN A ROW, such as Denver fans expected after 2 with Elway, of course they are going to complain about a 13 win season that doesnt end in a SB victory. Would you as a Redskin fan complain right now over a 13 win season and a playoff run? I say yes, because taking a team that had lost 10 games a couple of season before and turning them into a 13 win team is apparently your definition of running them into the ground.

Oh btw, that 13 win season, was in 05'. Ya know, the year that Broncos fans say Shanny should have never been there. 04' 10-6, 03' 10-6. So Shanny went 10-6, 10-6, 13-3 in consecutive seasons. And then you use these 3 seasons as absolute undeniable proof of the Broncos being ran into the ground... Really?
The guy was 1-4 in the playoffs after Elway. He did NOTHING during a very long stretch. And he had some of the worst defenses in the league during his tenure. Joe Gibbs won twice as many victories in his short time back than SHanahan did in, what, 10 or 11 years with a program that HE built? Sorry, your not gonna tell me because Shanahan was not the GM, that he didn't make the personell decisions in Denver. I lived there, and the guy had the last word, every Bronco fan knew it. Its just he couldn't do squat with the team that he himself built, and after 3 years here, name something other than RG3 that he has accomplished.

I guess there is Larry Johnson and OJ Atogwe.
__________________
Ain't Nothin Like a Good B Western.

YEEHAW
Mechanix544 is offline  
Old 09-28-2012, 05:28 PM   #131
Impact Rookie
 
Skinzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 667
Re: Around the NFL...Week 4 Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanix544 View Post
The guy was 1-4 in the playoffs after Elway. He did NOTHING during a very long stretch. And he had some of the worst defenses in the league during his tenure. Joe Gibbs won twice as many victories in his short time back than SHanahan did in, what, 10 or 11 years with a program that HE built? Sorry, your not gonna tell me because Shanahan was not the GM, that he didn't make the personell decisions in Denver. I lived there, and the guy had the last word, every Bronco fan knew it. Its just he couldn't do squat with the team that he himself built, and after 3 years here, name something other than RG3 that he has accomplished.

I guess there is Larry Johnson and OJ Atogwe.
Learn to read... I asked if he was the GM, and went onto state that if he was, that was the problem.

So try again after you reread what I typed because even though you quoted me, you didnt respond to what I had typed.

Editing to add: Stud qb... bad defenses... Kinda sounds like Belichik the last few years
Skinzman is offline  
Old 09-28-2012, 05:28 PM   #132
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 8,989
Re: Around the NFL...Week 4 Style

Is it some......other Skins team putting up 30+ points a game?
The same team, avg like.....16-18 a game last year?
....just sayin'
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
Win! Always win!
By fair means or foul, by soft words and hard deeds...
by treachery, by cunning, by malpractice...
but always win--Edward Teach
Hog1 is offline  
Old 09-28-2012, 05:30 PM   #133
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,606
Re: Around the NFL...Week 4 Style

Really, the only thing he's accomplished here is adding RG3? This conversation just got pointless.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline  
Old 09-28-2012, 05:33 PM   #134
The Starter
 
Mechanix544's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Fort Bliss, TX
Posts: 2,273
Re: Around the NFL...Week 4 Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinzman View Post
Learn to read... I asked if he was the GM, and went onto state that if he was, that was the problem.

So try again after you reread what I typed because even though you quoted me, you didnt respond to what I had typed.
You claimed that the GM in Denver was the problem, not Shanahan. At least that was the tone I got from it. All Denver personell decisions were Shanahans, and you cannot argue otherwise, cause it just ain't true m8. I dont care if there was a GM there, every player on that squad had the Mike Shanahan seal of approval.

Just think of it like this. Okay, the Broncos were like 6 games over .500 for 11 seasons after Elway left. Okay, great.

But the fact is that the Redskins won more playoff games than the Broncos did during that stretch. That is pathetic. I think the cowgirls did as well. Again, pathetic. THE RAIDERS won 5 playoff games during that span. Mike shanahan only had 3 appearances..........

I just think that people give him a little more credit than he is due.
__________________
Ain't Nothin Like a Good B Western.

YEEHAW
Mechanix544 is offline  
Old 09-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #135
Impact Rookie
 
Skinzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 667
Re: Around the NFL...Week 4 Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanix544 View Post
You claimed that the GM in Denver was the problem, not Shanahan. At least that was the tone I got from it. All Denver personell decisions were Shanahans, and you cannot argue otherwise, cause it just ain't true m8. I dont care if there was a GM there, every player on that squad had the Mike Shanahan seal of approval.

Just think of it like this. Okay, the Broncos were like 6 games over .500 for 11 seasons after Elway left. Okay, great.

But the fact is that the Redskins won more playoff games than the Broncos did during that stretch. That is pathetic. I think the cowgirls did as well. Again, pathetic. THE RAIDERS won 5 playoff games during that span. Mike shanahan only had 3 appearances..........

I just think that people give him a little more credit than he is due.
was Shanny the GM there as well. If so, thats why they went down, not because of Shanny the coach

The above is the exact line I typed. How do you claim that that line puts the blame on everyone but Shanny?
Skinzman is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.33995 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25