Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


The Legitimacy of Super Bowls 17 & 22

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 07:20 PM   #61
Playmaker
 
Alvin Walton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Holland, Michigan
Posts: 4,433
Re: The Legitimacy of Super Bowls 17 & 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
helmet catch schmelmet catch
Yea, where is he now?
__________________
REDSKINS FAN SINCE 1968
Alvin Walton is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-25-2012, 10:09 PM   #62
Pro Bowl
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 43
Posts: 6,604
Re: The Legitimacy of Super Bowls 17 & 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
Whether we had better scabs than they did or not, that's a front office problem that falls on the general manager. If they weren't able to assemble a team with the best players that could be located then that's their fault. Bobby Beathard was like 10 GMs in one. He's truly the reason why the Redskins were so successful during that era.
Dont remember enough about it to know how much work/scouting/effort went into the scabs.
__________________
I'm living in yesterday's tomorrows.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:56 PM   #63
Playmaker
 
SouperMeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Leesburg, VA
Age: 50
Posts: 3,143
Re: The Legitimacy of Super Bowls 17 & 22

Those Super Bowls produced two of the most legendary performances in NFL history. John Riggins set a then Super Bowl record with 166 yards rushing, including the iconic 4th down go ahead 43 yard TD run in Super Bowl XVII. Doug Williams quarterbacked the single greatest offensive explosion, Super Bowl or otherwise, in the 2nd quarter of Super Bowl XXII - 18 plays, 356 yards, and 35 points, including 4 TD passes. Those performances are more memorable than any the Giants have produced in their four winning Super Bowls.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #64
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,809
Re: The Legitimacy of Super Bowls 17 & 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
Being from Washington D.C. and living in NYC, a lot of NY Giants fans like to claim that the Redskins victories over the Miami Dolphins and the Denver Broncos in Super Bowls 17 and 22 are not legit simply because they happened only because NFL players strikes shortened those seasons. What they don't realize is that that 1982 team was good enough to not only amass the most points in a season in NFL history the next season and return to the Super Bowl, had it won it would have been considered the greatest team off all time.

As far as the 1987 team, they had made it to the NFC championship game and lost against the NYG the previous year. To be good enough to go that far and then go back the next season not only reveals how good a team the 1987 team was, but like the 1982 team, proves it's legitimacy.

The Giants fans are drunk with their chest poked out only because they've won 2 Super Bowls in the past 5 years. Their arrogance blinds them to reality, I often tell them. But their day is coming when under Coach Coughlin they will endure a miserable losing season.

I seek the true insight of Redskins Nation on this topic. Thoughts?
Not much we can say cause 07 and 11 they had to win 4 games in order to lift the trophy. But to me it's stupid to discredit the 82 and 87 years. Actually in 87 SF and Chicago were the two best teams. SF was upset by Minn and of course everyone remembers the upset against Chicago where D. Green ran back the punt in the freezing cold. We still had to beat quality teams to just get to the SB. In 82 we had to win 4 games and again...had to beat the best teams in the playoffs, including Dexter knocking out D.White! Great memories!
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:24 PM   #65
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,809
Re: The Legitimacy of Super Bowls 17 & 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Yeah I agree with Giantone on this, and yes Eli will be a HOFer
I don't think Eli is a HOF type QB. He's still not on the level of Brady or Brees or Rogers. He's pretty damn good but not in that class. He still makes throws that rookies make and he made a few of them last week. But at this point of his career the good outweighs the bad.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:54 PM   #66
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,240
Re: The Legitimacy of Super Bowls 17 & 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I don't think Eli is a HOF type QB. He's still not on the level of Brady or Brees or Rogers. He's pretty damn good but not in that class. He still makes throws that rookies make and he made a few of them last week. But at this point of his career the good outweighs the bad.
LOL, so 2super bowls and 2 MVPs aren't good enough for you.Wanna bet you would take them right now???
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:58 PM   #67
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,240
Re: The Legitimacy of Super Bowls 17 & 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
Only if those Washington teams were great 14-2/13-3/12-4 etc. The NYG teams that won Super Bowls 42 & 46 were not great teams. They were 10-6 and 9-7 going into the playoffs those years. Especially the 2011 NYG team that at one point had a 4 game losing streak and a little luck within the post season. Their credibility in the SB comes from already have beaten the Patriots in New England during the regular season that year. But I don't see how a fan base can brag and boast about a lowly above average team that were fortunate to win out. They were nothing like the Saints and Packers in 2011.

wow, I now understand why you are having problems up in NY,I'm done.
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:17 AM   #68
The Starter
 
REDSKINS4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Born and raised in D.C.....but I'm a New Yorker now....
Posts: 2,177
Re: The Legitimacy of Super Bowls 17 & 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
wow, I now understand why you are having problems up in NY,I'm done.
Do you really? The Packers, 49ers, Saints and other NFC playoff teams were indeed good. The NYG on the other hand were lucky.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:44 AM   #69
Special Teams
 
coggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: staten island
Age: 38
Posts: 457
Re: The Legitimacy of Super Bowls 17 & 22

As a Giants fan, I have never once questioned the legitimacy of the 82 and 87 titles. Had the 87 strike continued and they league used replacement players for the play-offs and Super Bowl, then there is an asterik.

As for the Giants in 07 and 11, no they were not a dominant 14-2, 13-3 type team. However, in both seasons they went on the road to beat the #1 and then #2 seed in the NFC and in both years beat the AFC's #1 seed. In 07, they even played their first play-off game on the road. Can't get a much tougher road to the title then what the Giants did.

Secondly, ANY fan who claims they wouldn't celebrate or get a big head over Championships like the Giants won because they didnt dominate the regular season, is more full of $h!t than a politician.
__________________
"Everyone is talking about their dynasty. Well, OUR DYNASTY STARTS TONIGHT."--Michael Strahan, pre-game huddle Pep talk, February 3rd, 2008.
coggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:46 AM   #70
Special Teams
 
coggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: staten island
Age: 38
Posts: 457
Re: The Legitimacy of Super Bowls 17 & 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
Do you really? The Packers, 49ers, Saints and other NFC playoff teams were indeed good. The NYG on the other hand were lucky.
And, the Giants walked into Green Bay and totally dominated the Packers. If not for two horrendous calls the Giants win that game 50-0, then walked into San Fran and won.
__________________
"Everyone is talking about their dynasty. Well, OUR DYNASTY STARTS TONIGHT."--Michael Strahan, pre-game huddle Pep talk, February 3rd, 2008.
coggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:50 AM   #71
Special Teams
 
coggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: staten island
Age: 38
Posts: 457
Re: The Legitimacy of Super Bowls 17 & 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
Only if those Washington teams were great 14-2/13-3/12-4 etc. The NYG teams that won Super Bowls 42 & 46 were not great teams. They were 10-6 and 9-7 going into the playoffs those years. Especially the 2011 NYG team that at one point had a 4 game losing streak and a little luck within the post season. Their credibility in the SB comes from already have beaten the Patriots in New England during the regular season that year. But I don't see how a fan base can brag and boast about a lowly above average team that were fortunate to win out. They were nothing like the Saints and Packers in 2011.
In that case the 87 Redskins were nothing like the 85 Bears, 86 Giants, 84 Niners, 89 Niners, 90 Giants, 83 Raiders, 92 Cowboys, 93 Cowboys, 94 Niners, 95 Cowboys and so forth. What is your point? Seems like it is you who needs the convincing about the legitimacy of the Skins titles, not the Giants fans. In fact, I have never in my life ever heard a Giants fan make the claim to which you are accusing.
__________________
"Everyone is talking about their dynasty. Well, OUR DYNASTY STARTS TONIGHT."--Michael Strahan, pre-game huddle Pep talk, February 3rd, 2008.
coggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:53 AM   #72
Pro Bowl
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 43
Posts: 6,604
Lets just say that every team who has ever won a superbowl was awesome and end this insanity. If you want to stake a claim of which was better that is one thing but to say any of them were lucky or not legitimate is sour grapes, jealous, and just dumb.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
I'm living in yesterday's tomorrows.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:10 AM   #73
Registered User
 
44ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Fortune Teller
Posts: 2,512
Re: The Legitimacy of Super Bowls 17 & 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Lets just say that every team who has ever won a superbowl was awesome and end this insanity. If you want to stake a claim of which was better that is one thing but to say any of them were lucky or not legitimate is sour grapes, jealous, and just dumb.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree, Great teams find a way to win when they need to win. Giants are a great team and have been for some time now. I hate the MFs but its the truth.
44ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:17 PM   #74
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,809
Re: The Legitimacy of Super Bowls 17 & 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
LOL, so 2super bowls and 2 MVPs aren't good enough for you.Wanna bet you would take them right now???
So Eli won them by himself? I guess Eli played defense huh? Eli's clutch, but I just don't put him in the class of the guys I mentioned. And sorry, that first SB, they should've given the MVP to the entire Giants D-line, not Eli. But as I said, when the games on the line, Eli's been money. Does that put him in the HOF? Probably since he's QB'd two SB winners. I just don't put him in the class of guys like ...Marino, Montana, Moon, ..he's a very good QB but not quite a great one.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:19 PM   #75
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,809
Re: The Legitimacy of Super Bowls 17 & 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by coggs View Post
As a Giants fan, I have never once questioned the legitimacy of the 82 and 87 titles. Had the 87 strike continued and they league used replacement players for the play-offs and Super Bowl, then there is an asterik.

As for the Giants in 07 and 11, no they were not a dominant 14-2, 13-3 type team. However, in both seasons they went on the road to beat the #1 and then #2 seed in the NFC and in both years beat the AFC's #1 seed. In 07, they even played their first play-off game on the road. Can't get a much tougher road to the title then what the Giants did.

Secondly, ANY fan who claims they wouldn't celebrate or get a big head over Championships like the Giants won because they didnt dominate the regular season, is more full of $h!t than a politician.
Agreed. G-men are mentally tough road warriors. They earned it the hard way. Enough said.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.29219 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25