Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Should Mike Shanahan be fired?

Redskins Locker Room


View Poll Results: Should Mike Shanahan be fired?
Yes - fire him now 11 6.51%
Wait til after the season to decide 38 22.49%
No 120 71.01%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 11:57 AM   #1501
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,400
Re: Should Mike Shanahan be fired?

RG3 and a ton of money could make Gruden and a lot of coaches change their minds about coming here.
__________________
"Cautiously And Optimistically... Looking Forward To Change"
53Fan is offline  

Advertisements
Old 11-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #1502
Gamebreaker
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 12,596
Re: Should Mike Shanahan be fired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Um...
I guess thats changed.

Replacing a Shanny with a Gruden, Cowher...just not a strong move imo. Doesnt make sense to me.

A move that I wouldnt mind (braces for attack) when it comes to retread at head coach would be Reid WITHOUT Marty Morningweg coming along.
__________________
Boycott Rolling Stone Magazine
Chico23231 is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 12:08 PM   #1503
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,400
Re: Should Mike Shanahan be fired?

I'm pretty tired of hiring retreads myself. At least for HC. Seems like they win a SB then take a few years off waiting to be paid like they're the best or waiting for the perfect situation to come along.
__________________
"Cautiously And Optimistically... Looking Forward To Change"

Last edited by 53Fan; 11-14-2012 at 12:15 PM.
53Fan is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #1504
The Starter
 
REDSKINS4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Born and raised in D.C.....but I'm a New Yorker now....
Posts: 2,190
Re: Should Mike Shanahan be fired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
I'm pretty tired of hiring retreads myself. At least for HC. Seems like they win a SB then take a few years off waiting to be paid like they're the best or waiting for the perfect situation to come along.
Bill Cower is a Marty Schottenheimer disciple who may be past his prime. If anyone recalls, the Pittsburgh Steelers went 7-9 the year after they won SB40. Jon Gruden would make a good coach but we have to look at why he was fired in Tampa Bay. The year he was fired the Bucs started off 9-3 and finished 9-7 to miss the playoffs. We need to be careful of who we want as our coach in the future.

I'd want a young coach like a John and Jim Harbaugh. Not hire a coach that has won SBs in the past. It always almost doesn't work out. Just look at George Seifert.
REDSKINS4ever is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 12:27 PM   #1505
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,400
Re: Should Mike Shanahan be fired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
Bill Cower is a Marty Schottenheimer disciple who may be past his prime. If anyone recalls, the Pittsburgh Steelers went 7-9 the year after they won SB40. Jon Gruden would make a good coach but we have to look at why he was fired in Tampa Bay. The year he was fired the Bucs started off 9-3 and finished 9-7 to miss the playoffs. We need to be careful of who we want as our coach in the future.

I'd want a young coach like a John and Jim Harbaugh. Not hire a coach that has won SBs in the past. QIt always almost doesn't work out. Just look at George Seifert.
I agree. I'm really interested in guys like Roman. The OC for SF that SFREDSKIN brought up.
__________________
"Cautiously And Optimistically... Looking Forward To Change"
53Fan is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 12:28 PM   #1506
Playmaker
 
Paintrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Age: 44
Posts: 4,957
Re: Should Mike Shanahan be fired?

If there is a move made against MS (which I still doubt until his contract is up for renewal barring a disaster in 2013) you have to consider the personnel implications of changing coaches, especially on offense. Let's just look at some players who probably won't fit into other schemes (power running game, vertical passing game, etc.) as much as they do our current scheme:
Alfred Morris-One cut, downhill, zone runner. He probably wouldn't be as effective in getting chunk yardage in a power game and wouldn't fit much at all in a spread passing game relying on speed and quickness.
Stieger, Chester, Monty-Playing pretty well as a unit but probably won't fit into a scheme requiring power blocking or pass blocking for a 5-7 step dropback passing game or spread passing game. Even T. Williams to a lesser extent whose strengths are his mobility and athleticism may not be as effective in a power scheme.
Morgan, Hankerson, Garcon- Arguments exist about how productive they are now but they are best suited for a WCO type, YAC passing game, not a spread (none are particularly quick) or vertical (none have blazing speed) passing attack.

Those are just off the top of my head but it's just to make a point that just changing the leadership isn't a magical cure to what ails this team.

While I get the frustration and angst with the results of the current regime, one of the reasons the Giants, Steelers and Packers remain competitive and at or near the top of the league every year is because they have philosophies that the organization is committed to and they draft and coach to those philosophies, not changing them every 2-3 years to suit a new master.
__________________
Challenge Greatness! Be A Leader! Make A Difference!
Paintrain is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #1507
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,400
Re: Should Mike Shanahan be fired?

Well you do have guys out there like Roman who seems to be able to adapt his offense to his personell pretty well. He made David Carr look good..coached Luck at Stanford and has done a wonderful job with Alex Smith and SF's offense. Even Gibbs changed his style to a point when JKC told him to start running Riggins.
__________________
"Cautiously And Optimistically... Looking Forward To Change"
53Fan is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 12:53 PM   #1508
Pro Bowl
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 43
Posts: 6,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I wonder if there has ever been a losing team that doesn't have internal strife. Nobody likes to lose. It raises the level of stress and tension in any organization. Winning some games would quickly get things back in order.
Agreed. Beat the damn birds before we are a dang laughing stock. Finish the year strong - possible to be playing the Gints on Monday nite in a couple weeks for huge division crown implications and lets save the sorting out for the off season. I mean according to HTTR 24-7 even Haz is finishing the year so we are stuck with what we have. Beat the birds. Baby steps.
__________________
I'm living in yesterday's tomorrows.
punch it in is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 12:56 PM   #1509
Playmaker
 
Paintrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Age: 44
Posts: 4,957
Re: Should Mike Shanahan be fired?

What am I missing on Roman? For all of the love he's getting on here, SF is ranked lower than us in all statistical categories offensively. Their defense is top 3 but I never watch Niner games and think, 'wow I wish our offense was like that!'
__________________
Challenge Greatness! Be A Leader! Make A Difference!
Paintrain is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 01:05 PM   #1510
Franchise Player
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 7,897
Re: Should Mike Shanahan be fired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
What am I missing on Roman? For all of the love he's getting on here, SF is ranked lower than us in all statistical categories offensively. Their defense is top 3 but I never watch Niner games and think, 'wow I wish our offense was like that!'
Did you see what he did with Luck at Stanford? He can do the same with RGIII, currently with Smith his offense is dink and dunk which makes Smith Successful. He's the only out of 6 or 7 coordinators who has had success with Smith. Roman's style is like Gibbs, big physical OL, a tough pounding type RB and wide open offense with the right QB, in our case RGIII. He did it with Luck, don't go by his #'s look at his success with QB's. He knows to adapt to the type of QB he has.
__________________
Joe Gibbs- The best coach of all time, Lombardi trophy should be renamed Gibbs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.


Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 01:08 PM   #1511
Pro Bowl
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 43
Posts: 6,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
If there is a move made against MS (which I still doubt until his contract is up for renewal barring a disaster in 2013) you have to consider the personnel implications of changing coaches, especially on offense. Let's just look at some players who probably won't fit into other schemes (power running game, vertical passing game, etc.) as much as they do our current scheme:
Alfred Morris-One cut, downhill, zone runner. He probably wouldn't be as effective in getting chunk yardage in a power game and wouldn't fit much at all in a spread passing game relying on speed and quickness.
Stieger, Chester, Monty-Playing pretty well as a unit but probably won't fit into a scheme requiring power blocking or pass blocking for a 5-7 step dropback passing game or spread passing game. Even T. Williams to a lesser extent whose strengths are his mobility and athleticism may not be as effective in a power scheme.
Morgan, Hankerson, Garcon- Arguments exist about how productive they are now but they are best suited for a WCO type, YAC passing game, not a spread (none are particularly quick) or vertical (none have blazing speed) passing attack.

Those are just off the top of my head but it's just to make a point that just changing the leadership isn't a magical cure to what ails this team.

While I get the frustration and angst with the results of the current regime, one of the reasons the Giants, Steelers and Packers remain competitive and at or near the top of the league every year is because they have philosophies that the organization is committed to and they draft and coach to those philosophies, not changing them every 2-3 years to suit a new master.
Yes but the other thing those teams have in common is great qb play which the offenses were built around. We have one now too. It starts there. The D is going to be the big question mark going forward. 4-3 or 3-4?
__________________
I'm living in yesterday's tomorrows.
punch it in is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 01:09 PM   #1512
Playmaker
 
los panda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: los angeles, ca
Age: 29
Posts: 4,182
Re: Should Mike Shanahan be fired?

shanny stated that he plans on subcontracting the head coaching position. he's currently accepting proposals/bids
__________________
7 9 21 28 33 42 43 44 49 65 70 81
los panda is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 01:12 PM   #1513
Pro Bowl
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 43
Posts: 6,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
What am I missing on Roman? For all of the love he's getting on here, SF is ranked lower than us in all statistical categories offensively. Their defense is top 3 but I never watch Niner games and think, 'wow I wish our offense was like that!'
I think the fact that he has no qb speaks volumes about him and their ability to win so many games. Their d has been sort of off lately dont you think?
__________________
I'm living in yesterday's tomorrows.
punch it in is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 01:12 PM   #1514
Playmaker
 
redskins5044's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Schertz, Tx
Age: 35
Posts: 3,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
RG3 and a ton of money could make Gruden and a lot of coaches change their minds about coming here.
That's what's wrong with redskins, quit throwing money at coaches with big egos. Go get a young up an coming GM and coach, who want to prove themselves.
__________________
Spider 2 Y Banana Jr. is the new Head Coach.
redskins5044 is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 01:13 PM   #1515
Pro Bowl
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 43
Posts: 6,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by los panda View Post
shanny stated that he plans on subcontracting the head coaching position. he's currently accepting proposals/bids
I bid one dollar. Works on the price is rite?
__________________
I'm living in yesterday's tomorrows.
punch it in is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.29655 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25