Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Should Mike Shanahan be fired?

Redskins Locker Room


View Poll Results: Should Mike Shanahan be fired?
Yes - fire him now 11 6.51%
Wait til after the season to decide 38 22.49%
No 120 71.01%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #841
JUST LIVIN
 
htownskinfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: houston,tx
Age: 52
Posts: 3,525
Re: Should Mike Shanahan be fired?

Redskins players not wild about Shanahan’s “evaluation” | ProFootballTalk
__________________
Ho
Lee
Chit
htownskinfan is offline  

Advertisements
Old 11-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #842
Registered User
 
44ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Fortune Teller
Posts: 2,512
Re: Should Mike Shanahan be fired?

What's wrong with stating the obvious? Should he have said everything is wonderful? Are the guys (girls) gonna stop playing now because they cant handle a little smack talk from their coach? None of the above. Thats just media spin!

I agree with Mike and I don't think he's putting players down. I think he's just saying he simply does not yet have what it takes to win and does not need to get to 4-10 to say so.

After evaluating the needs of the team, he can fill in the gaps starting with priority #2 since RG3 (priority #1) looks like he is working. With so many glaring needs, It's going to be tough to say what priority #2 really is. There are so many it seems... Being the HC of the Skins is not easy. There is no one guy that can walk in here and have immediate success.
44ever is offline  
Old 11-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #843
Pro Bowl
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 43
Posts: 6,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coff View Post
That's one of the reasons I'm saying it doesn't matter if we fire Shanahan. We're going to suck next with or without Shanahan, and probably suck the year after that and the year after that...

Yeah, I know I'm being reactionary, but here's a thinking exercise: imagine you're a Broncos fan and the Raiders had drafted RGIII. Would you be worried that the Raiders would be a better team for the next decade? No, you wouldn't be. Why? Because they're the Raiders; they'll always suck. If we fire Shanahan after this season (a move to which I'm not necessarily opposed) then we'll just be having this discussion again in three years.
Umm we will be having this discussion again if we hire the wrong guy - not if we hire the rite one.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
I'm living in yesterday's tomorrows.
punch it in is offline  
Old 11-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #844
JUST LIVIN
 
htownskinfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: houston,tx
Age: 52
Posts: 3,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44ever View Post
What's wrong with stating the obvious? Should he have said everything is wonderful? Are the guys (girls) gonna stop playing now because they cant handle a little smack talk from their coach? None of the above. Thats just media spin!

I agree with Mike and I don't think he's putting players down. I think he's just saying he simply does not yet have what it takes to win and does not need to get to 4-10 to say so.

After evaluating the needs of the team, he can fill in the gaps starting with priority #2 since RG3 (priority #1) looks like he is working. With so many glaring needs, It's going to be tough to say what priority #2 really is. There are so many it seems... Being the HC of the Skins is not easy. There is no one guy that can walk in here and have immediate success.
Well it sends wrong message to team,like he's given up
Mike n mike and Ron jaworski were discussing it this morning
They're shocked he would say what he said


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Ho
Lee
Chit
htownskinfan is offline  
Old 11-05-2012, 10:25 AM   #845
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by htownskinfan View Post
Well it sends wrong message to team,like he's given up
Mike n mike and Ron jaworski were discussing it this morning
They're shocked he would say what he said


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike is caving under the pressure
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline  
Old 11-05-2012, 10:56 AM   #846
Pro Bowl
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 43
Posts: 6,615
So on my Iphone - no internet here yet - i have tapatalk. It has different tabs for the different threads and sometimes due to the small screen it gets confusing. I punch the un-read tab and see a thread entitled "the walking dead- season three". I go oh man someone started another thread about Shanny. So i start reading it and Im going "what the hell is everyone talking about"- i was literally so confused.
I watch crap loads of TV but The Walking Dead isnt one of my shows. Thought that was pretty funny. Didnt want to get into it on that thread but had to share.
Also I guess its a pretty good show if it warrants a thread but I guess im probably too far behind at this point.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
I'm living in yesterday's tomorrows.
punch it in is offline  
Old 11-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #847
Pro Bowl
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 43
Posts: 6,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by htownskinfan View Post
Well it sends wrong message to team,like he's given up
Mike n mike and Ron jaworski were discussing it this morning
They're shocked he would say what he said


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In Shannys defense i am still not convinced he wasnt just saying that he wants to see which of his starters are going to fight through the rest of the season and not that he is going to play a bunch of rookies ala pre-season and throw in the towel.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
I'm living in yesterday's tomorrows.
punch it in is offline  
Old 11-05-2012, 11:05 AM   #848
JUST LIVIN
 
htownskinfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: houston,tx
Age: 52
Posts: 3,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
In Shannys defense i am still not convinced he wasnt just saying that he wants to see which of his starters are going to fight through the rest of the season and not that he is going to play a bunch of rookies ala pre-season and throw in the towel.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe he was but he needs to make that clear to the players because even they are saying they had a problem with it


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Ho
Lee
Chit
htownskinfan is offline  
Old 11-05-2012, 11:34 AM   #849
Pro Bowl
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 43
Posts: 6,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by htownskinfan View Post
Maybe he was but he needs to make that clear to the players because even they are saying they had a problem with it


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
I'm living in yesterday's tomorrows.
punch it in is offline  
Old 11-05-2012, 12:09 PM   #850
Impact Rookie
 
VegasSkinsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethat001 View Post
I agree, was disappointed the coach is throwing the towel in with almost half the season left. I realize he was upset. It is highly improbable we can fix the major problems, but if RG3 explodes, Garcon & Merriweather make us better -- there's a chance, a small chance, we could run the table.

I just don't think the coach should be saying it's impossible, he's the leader.
I've been a big MD supporter. What he said just goes against every life lesson I try and teach my son.
VegasSkinsFan is offline  
Old 11-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #851
Registered User
 
44ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Fortune Teller
Posts: 2,512
Re: Should Mike Shanahan be fired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownskinfan View Post
Well it sends wrong message to team,like he's given up
Mike n mike and Ron jaworski were discussing it this morning
They're shocked he would say what he said


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think its about time someone finally had the nads to say it. DC needs a wake up call. This is it! Im all for Mike calling it as he sees it. If you don't like it, hit the f-ing road. If you can play, then f-ing play already. I'm tired of all the BS with this team. Im so glad he didn't say "well, give it a few more years" that just gives the guys more time to screw off. Its time guys know you dont come here for the paycheck any longer.

If you can't read between the lines, Mike is ready to clean house.
44ever is offline  
Old 11-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #852
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,521
Re: Should Mike Shanahan be fired?

I don't have a problem with what he said necessarily, only 3 teams have rallied from a 3-6 start to make the playoffs, so he's just stating the truth. I just think he should have saved that for when we're officially eliminated.

Not sure if he said it as a self serving measure, like hey can't fault me the rest of the way, we're playing for next year. Or did he said it to try to fire up the team. Either way, he shouldn't have said it.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline  
Old 11-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #853
Playmaker
 
Paintrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Age: 44
Posts: 4,959
Re: Should Mike Shanahan be fired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I don't have a problem with what he said necessarily, only 3 teams have rallied from a 3-6 start to make the playoffs, so he's just stating the truth. I just think he should have saved that for when we're officially eliminated.

Not sure if he said it as a self serving measure, like hey can't fault me the rest of the way, we're playing for next year. Or did he said it to try to fire up the team. Either way, he shouldn't have said it.
I can be a bit of a Shanny apologist so I've refrained from weighing in but I didn't really get 'I give up' from his comments. I got more of 'lets see what these guys are made of and who really wants to be here' but I get the other perspective. Probably shouldn't have been said the way he said it or given some additional clarification when it was out there and being dissected.
__________________
Challenge Greatness! Be A Leader! Make A Difference!
Paintrain is offline  
Old 11-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #854
Pro Bowl
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 43
Posts: 6,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44ever View Post
I think its about time someone finally had the nads to say it. DC needs a wake up call. This is it! Im all for Mike calling it as he sees it. If you don't like it, hit the f-ing road. If you can play, then f-ing play already. I'm tired of all the BS with this team. Im so glad he didn't say "well, give it a few more years" that just gives the guys more time to screw off. Its time guys know you dont come here for the paycheck any longer.

If you can't read between the lines, Mike is ready to clean house.
The first thing MS did when he got here supposedly was clean house - get rid of all the problems and bring in young players with good attitudes - supposedly. So now after three years if he has a bunch of slackers doesnt that fall squarely on his shoulders. I mean the team that literally did not show up for two weeks is his team. I will give him a pass because i think his words were misunderstood - i think he was saying we are going to take a look and see who is going to fight through this season. Regardless of the message he was trying to send though - the team he has built has become an epic fail and i will not give him a pass on that. No way. No how.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
I'm living in yesterday's tomorrows.
punch it in is offline  
Old 11-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #855
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,521
Re: Should Mike Shanahan be fired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
I can be a bit of a Shanny apologist so I've refrained from weighing in but I didn't really get 'I give up' from his comments. I got more of 'lets see what these guys are made of and who really wants to be here' but I get the other perspective. Probably shouldn't have been said the way he said it or given some additional clarification when it was out there and being dissected.
I think JK summed it up well

Quote:
Did Mike Shanahan raise the so-called white flag on the season? Sure sounded that way. I get what he was saying: at 3-6, this is no longer about being in the playoff hunt, but about fighting through adversity. Since 1990, only three teams have been 3-6 and made the playoffs – the 1994 Patriots, the ’95 Lions and the ’96 Jaguars. So, yeah, he’s right. At this point it’s not about the playoffs and that’s how many in the locker room took those comments. However, it still was an unusual comment for a coach. Very unusual.

To a degree, you’re always evaluating your talent to see who you like and don’t like for the future. And perhaps the message was simply: ‘We’re about to find out what we have.’ But having covered many seasons where the Redskins weren’t good at this point, I don’t think I’ve ever heard a coach talk about evaluating players and finding out “who is going to be on your team for years to come,” at this point in the season. That sounds like late December talk once you’re officially out of the playoff hunt. Shanahan was right that the Carolina game was a must-win. He’s also right that their season took a different turn Sunday. But my guess is that a number of coaches around the league were surprised by what he said. I know I heard from one on Sunday who definitely was – as was Tony Dungy, who said as much on NBC. I don’t know that I question the leadership among the players; your most important player on offense works as hard as anyone. Your best leader on defense works as hard as anyone. It should flow from there, right? If not, why is that? You have to question many things at this point: are guys not being used properly? Developed properly? The questions now become bigger than about a particular game.

Panthers 21, Redskins 13: Ten Observations | WashingtonExaminer.com
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31941 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25