Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Should Mike Shanahan be fired?

Redskins Locker Room


View Poll Results: Should Mike Shanahan be fired?
Yes - fire him now 11 6.51%
Wait til after the season to decide 38 22.49%
No 120 71.01%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 12:16 AM   #886
Special Teams
 
jdc65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 246
Re: Should Mike Shanahan be fired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
If you find out where exactly let me, GTripp, Mechanix, Goat, Alvin Walton, Slingin Sammy, and Okie know where so we can get a table near by and talk really loud.
Well, I don't know if Snyder will have a sit down with Griffin, but if he is even considering a possible HC change, he should at least get some feed back from RG before doing so. In other words, firing Shanahan if Griffin is 100% behind him would be a huge mistake in my opinion.

I think they would sit down and have a general discussion about life in DC, and Robert's overall thoughts about his first year. And then guage his impression of where the team is and where it is heading. Robert is the future here, Shanahan may or may not be.

It is common knowledge that Turner is still coaching because Rivers publicly and privately championed his return. Irsay said that he had sought Peyton's input to maintain continuity in Indy when Dungy retired. Jones did seek Romo's endorsement of Garrett before hiring him as HC, though that turned out to be a mistake. Certainly Kraft isn't discussing Belichick's future with Brady, but it's a good bet they do meet privately and talk about whatever is on Tom's mind.

It's just a smart business practice to keep your main guy happy, and communication is the best way to do it.
jdc65 is offline  

Advertisements
Old 11-06-2012, 12:18 AM   #887
Pro Bowl
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 42
Posts: 5,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
Yeah, that's exactly what this organization needs.. Listen to you crazies again. Reason why this team is in the boat it is now is because you were the poison that would pay so much for tickets to see Albert Haynesworth and Jason Taylor in Redskin Uniforms.
You have been a Redskin fan for five minutes rite?
__________________
"Coaches who can outline plays on a black board are a dime a dozen. The ones who win get inside their player and motivate." Vince Lombardi
punch it in is offline  
Old 11-06-2012, 12:23 AM   #888
Pro Bowl
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 42
Posts: 5,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins89moss View Post
Well said bro. Typical Redskins fan wants us to bring in another coach every 3 years like it's going to fix this culture. The culture is we don't keep HC long enough to truly change this shit show. Just like this country we go into a recession and we think 4 years later after the shit show it would be smelling like roses. Just saying stay the course it will get better if we have faith in SHANNY to fix this.
Dont get confused with that longevity nonsense. So if us "typical" redskins fans had faith in the likes of Steve Spurrier or Jim Zorn or even Gibbs 2.0 would we have been better served? Again - its not the change that hurts us its the wrong decisions. Eventually we will get it rite. Thought we finally did with Shanny but now I dont. Just because he sticks around doesnt mean we will get better.
__________________
"Coaches who can outline plays on a black board are a dime a dozen. The ones who win get inside their player and motivate." Vince Lombardi
punch it in is offline  
Old 11-06-2012, 12:33 AM   #889
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Dont get confused with that longevity nonsense. So if us "typical" redskins fans had faith in the likes of Steve Spurrier or Jim Zorn or even Gibbs 2.0 would we have been better served? Again - its not the change that hurts us its the wrong decisions. Eventually we will get it rite. Thought we finally did with Shanny but now I dont. Just because he sticks around doesnt mean we will get better.
That's what everyone is forgetting, Mike is in his 3 rd season as a HC for us and nothing has changed besides the phenom that is RG3, I give Mike props for the way they have groomed Griffin but he's the type of QB that can make it in any system. Other than griff this team is an embarrassment, people complain about the lack of talent but isn't that part of Mike's fault??
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline  
Old 11-06-2012, 12:38 AM   #890
Pro Bowl
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 42
Posts: 5,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
That's what everyone is forgetting, Mike is in his 3 rd season as a HC for us and nothing has changed besides the phenom that is RG3, I give Mike props for the way they have groomed Griffin but he's the type of QB that can make it in any system. Other than griff this team is an embarrassment, people complain about the lack of talent but isn't that part of Mike's fault??
Nope. Ask Bucket. If you bought a Jason Taylor jersey it is all your fault.
__________________
"Coaches who can outline plays on a black board are a dime a dozen. The ones who win get inside their player and motivate." Vince Lombardi
punch it in is offline  
Old 11-06-2012, 12:50 AM   #891
Pro Bowl
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 42
Posts: 5,224
I mean who besides possibly Marty Schottenheimer did we pull the plug on too fast in the last 20 years after Gibbs that leads so many of you to believe there needs to be a "culture change" with the revolving door of coaches?
Richie Petitbon?
Terry Robiskie?
Norv had forever.
Spurrier
Zorn
Gibbs 2.0 - wasnt sticking around anyway
None of those guys were shit. None of them would have won or changed the culture if we had kept them around. They were all bad choices. What kind of thought goes into a statement about pulling the plug on Shanny and what kind of detriment that will have on the team? Apparently it has nothing to do with the last 20 years even though this is "typical " Redskin fans unfaithful itchy trigger finger bullshit. Yeah I guess your rite - wish we had held onto Terry Robiskie or Steve Spurrier! What a mistake.
__________________
"Coaches who can outline plays on a black board are a dime a dozen. The ones who win get inside their player and motivate." Vince Lombardi
punch it in is offline  
Old 11-06-2012, 12:51 AM   #892
Playmaker
 
Bucket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Martinsburg, WV
Posts: 3,217
Re: Should Mike Shanahan be fired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Nope. Ask Bucket. If you bought a Jason Taylor jersey it is all your fault.
Now who's being sarcastic?

Truth hurts.. Iv'e said it before. Shanahan was handed the keys to a volvo and asked to win the Indy 500. That's the type of fan base we have here in Redskins Nation. He was doomed from the start, and never had a chance. Since the day he was hired people were making threads about

"Why not Bill Cowher?"
"Should of got Gruden"

etc
etc

I know everyone can't be happy, and Shanahan said it best in today's presser, and I qoute..

"When i got here this team was old, and had no depth. Out of all the players we released none of them played in the NFL anymore. That includes the whole offense in which not one player was from that era. Offense, Defense, Special Teams was all old and there was no depth."

That's a 53 man roster in which draft picks were slim, and free agency was worse. A 53 man roster in which he's had to build in a course of 2 offseasons, and you think he doesn't wan't to grab every A list guy available? Truth is.. You can't fill that many spots with all talent in such a short amount of time.

People talk like 2.5 years is a long time to turn a franchise around. Those same people are the SAME ones who wanted Gabbert, and the media included call the coaches/front office last year while Rex/Beck lost many games. Now, we are a young team with still below average depth who is injury riddled and most of Redskins Nation blames Shanahan for that too. Like he was walking around smashing players with hammers to put them on the IR.

People compare to other franchises, and don't realize that every franchise goes a different direction, plays different teams, and picks different players. We are not Green Bay, and we may NEVER be Green Bay or the Giants. Our franchise is not in the shape that those were when they suffered injuries.

The lack of patience in this community of Redskins fans is a main reason why we are in the state we are now. The man didn't LIE to anyone.. He didn't promise wins since day one. He didn't come in to the office and promise us Super Bowls in 2.5 years. He said he needed 5 years, and when we brought him in to bring in HIS system, and his style of coaching then we allowed him and said we UNDERSTOOD what state this team is in, and now as fans we are shitting and pissing in his face while not supporting him because you can't accept and handle the losses that have to come before the wins.

I'm giving the man his 5 years... I accepted his word that it would take that long at least.
__________________
HTTR
Redskin Fan since '88
Be friends on Twitter! @thecasualhero
Bucket is offline  
Old 11-06-2012, 12:57 AM   #893
Special Teams
 
jdc65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 246
Re: Should Mike Shanahan be fired?

I know as a fan it is disconcerting to start over with a new coach. New coach means new systems meaning new players brought in to fit the new systems. It does feel like starting all over from scratch again. On the surface, it would appear that 2 more years with Shanny is better than 2-3 years with a new guy.

But football is about good players playing with confidence, emotion, motivation, and belief in what they are doing. Players also need to feel the organization is doing the best job they can to bring in the right pieces to win. If they lose that confidence or start doubting the direction, it is virtually impossible to be successful.

As fans, we don't know exactly what the players are thinking, but typically when someone on the outside is asking questions, it's a good bet that those on the inside are asking them to. At this point, fans have a reason to ask if the team is heading in the right direction. It's only natural the players may be asking as well.

I take Shanahan's remarks as he isn't sure if players are still buying into what he is selling, and he is putting them on notice. That he is worried about losing the lockerroom, and the character issue is more about playing within the schemes than playing hard.

If players decide the coach is a goner or the scheme is broke or other players aren't cutting it, they'll play for themselves. Which means bypasssing specific assignments and taking risks to make a big play. That very well is what appears to me to be happening, and a justifiable reason to consider making a change.
jdc65 is offline  
Old 11-06-2012, 01:00 AM   #894
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,093
Problem is most fans have just gotten so used to losing that shanny isn't any different than previous coaches so why make a change?
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline  
Old 11-06-2012, 01:03 AM   #895
Pro Bowl
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 42
Posts: 5,224
Bucket lets not blame the fan base for anything. Shanny is a big boy - i dont think some thread about Gruden ever made it to his desk but if it had im pretty sure it didnt affect his work. Lol. Snyder wants to give him his five years that is fine. I get all the stuff about this team was shit. It was. He inherited a big stinky pile of shit. The problem is that it is not getting incrementally better. It is getting incrementally worse. Do u know what I base that opinion on? Football games. I know - strange rite - to base your opinion of a head coach on how his team performs on the field ( that was big sarcasm). Last week against the Steelers and this week against the Panthers are two of the worst games Ive seen in a while. After this season - which imo is 6 wins - AT BEST - give him two more years. Just so I never have to hear another person say - two more years again.
Edit: also Bucket - you seem to be under this impression that if we shower MS with love and praise he will coach better - i have news for you - he diesnt give a shit what me or you thinks about him. Trust me. Do you really think personnel decisions , etc are based on the court of public opinion? Its the NFL not American ****ing Idol.
__________________
"Coaches who can outline plays on a black board are a dime a dozen. The ones who win get inside their player and motivate." Vince Lombardi

Last edited by punch it in; 11-06-2012 at 01:22 AM.
punch it in is offline  
Old 11-06-2012, 01:33 AM   #896
Playmaker
 
Bucket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Martinsburg, WV
Posts: 3,217
Re: Should Mike Shanahan be fired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Bucket lets not blame the fan base for anything. Shanny is a big boy - i dont think some thread about Gruden ever made it to his desk but if it had im pretty sure it didnt affect his work. Lol. Snyder wants to give him his five years that is fine. I get all the stuff about this team was shit. It was. He inherited a big stinky pile of shit. The problem is that it is not getting incrementally better. It is getting incrementally worse. Do u know what I base that opinion on? Football games. I know - strange rite - to base your opinion of a head coach on how his team performs on the field ( that was big sarcasm). Last week against the Steelers and this week against the Panthers are two of the worst games Ive seen in a while. After this season - which imo is 6 wins - AT BEST - give him two more years. Just so I never have to hear another person say - two more years again.
Edit: also Bucket - you seem to be under this impression that if we shower MS with love and praise he will coach better - i have news for you - he diesnt give a shit what me or you thinks about him. Trust me. Do you really think personnel decisions , etc are based on the court of public opinion? Its the NFL not American ****ing Idol.
I'm not saying praise the man. Everyone wants him on the chopping block when the man was nothing but honest.

Can you actually say that our team wouldn't be doing better with at least 1-2 or our players on the field? I guess we will find out against the Eagles.

I know Shanahan doesn't give two shits about what we say, but the other realistic fans here do. No, i'm not including you.
__________________
HTTR
Redskin Fan since '88
Be friends on Twitter! @thecasualhero
Bucket is offline  
Old 11-06-2012, 01:36 AM   #897
Special Teams
 
jdc65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 246
Re: Should Mike Shanahan be fired?

It does matter what the fans say or think. Yesterday was a big game for Washington, at home with the 80th anniversary hoopla, playing an apparently inferior opponent in a declared must win situation. They didn't just lose, they lost with unenthusiastic and uninspired play. The stands appeared darn near empty well before the final gun went off. That's money coming out of Snyder's pocket. Uninspired play produces an uninspired fanbase affecting ticket sales, tv and radio ratings, concessions and merchandise sales.

It's still a business, and more than wins or losses, it's about making money. Empty stands and an unhappy, nonspending fanbase are a surefire way to see changes made. November, December, and January is when the big money is made, and for the 3rd year under Shanny, football is irrelevant in DC. Expecting playoff contention in the 3rd year was reasonable, but showing improvement is an absolute must. At least sell hope. Who is going to keep spending money watching this crap?
jdc65 is offline  
Old 11-06-2012, 05:53 AM   #898
The Starter
 
Mechanix544's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Fort Bliss, TX
Posts: 2,273
Re: Should Mike Shanahan be fired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
I mean who besides possibly Marty Schottenheimer did we pull the plug on too fast in the last 20 years after Gibbs that leads so many of you to believe there needs to be a "culture change" with the revolving door of coaches?
Richie Petitbon?
Terry Robiskie?
Norv had forever.
Spurrier
Zorn
Gibbs 2.0 - wasnt sticking around anyway
None of those guys were shit. None of them would have won or changed the culture if we had kept them around. They were all bad choices. What kind of thought goes into a statement about pulling the plug on Shanny and what kind of detriment that will have on the team? Apparently it has nothing to do with the last 20 years even though this is "typical " Redskin fans unfaithful itchy trigger finger bullshit. Yeah I guess your rite - wish we had held onto Terry Robiskie or Steve Spurrier! What a mistake.
The difference between the above mentioned and the atrocity called Mike Shanahan is that the above guys didn't have the luxury of being handed the best QB in the history of the game (arguably, top 5 no argument), riding him and Terell Davis to two Super Bowls, and then in 14 years after that man retires, said coach wins ONE playoff game. ONE!!!!!!!!! But the above mentioned didnt have the success in 96-98, so Mike gets a pass, cause he has proven in the subsequent 14 years that he knows how to team build. He didn't even have to build a majority of the team in Denver, they had been to plenty of playoffs before Mike.

Face it kids, the longer mike grinds the gears here in DC, the longer its gonna take for WHOEVER to fix it. (RG3. Too bad he cannot overcome mount shanahan for a shot at being competitive now)
__________________
Ain't Nothin Like a Good B Western.

YEEHAW
Mechanix544 is offline  
Old 11-06-2012, 05:56 AM   #899
The Starter
 
Mechanix544's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Fort Bliss, TX
Posts: 2,273
Re: Should Mike Shanahan be fired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
Now who's being sarcastic?

Truth hurts.. Iv'e said it before. Shanahan was handed the keys to a volvo and asked to win the Indy 500. That's the type of fan base we have here in Redskins Nation. He was doomed from the start, and never had a chance. Since the day he was hired people were making threads about

"Why not Bill Cowher?"
"Should of got Gruden"

etc
etc

I know everyone can't be happy, and Shanahan said it best in today's presser, and I qoute..

"When i got here this team was old, and had no depth. Out of all the players we released none of them played in the NFL anymore. That includes the whole offense in which not one player was from that era. Offense, Defense, Special Teams was all old and there was no depth."

That's a 53 man roster in which draft picks were slim, and free agency was worse. A 53 man roster in which he's had to build in a course of 2 offseasons, and you think he doesn't wan't to grab every A list guy available? Truth is.. You can't fill that many spots with all talent in such a short amount of time.

People talk like 2.5 years is a long time to turn a franchise around. Those same people are the SAME ones who wanted Gabbert, and the media included call the coaches/front office last year while Rex/Beck lost many games. Now, we are a young team with still below average depth who is injury riddled and most of Redskins Nation blames Shanahan for that too. Like he was walking around smashing players with hammers to put them on the IR.

People compare to other franchises, and don't realize that every franchise goes a different direction, plays different teams, and picks different players. We are not Green Bay, and we may NEVER be Green Bay or the Giants. Our franchise is not in the shape that those were when they suffered injuries.

The lack of patience in this community of Redskins fans is a main reason why we are in the state we are now. The man didn't LIE to anyone.. He didn't promise wins since day one. He didn't come in to the office and promise us Super Bowls in 2.5 years. He said he needed 5 years, and when we brought him in to bring in HIS system, and his style of coaching then we allowed him and said we UNDERSTOOD what state this team is in, and now as fans we are shitting and pissing in his face while not supporting him because you can't accept and handle the losses that have to come before the wins.

I'm giving the man his 5 years... I accepted his word that it would take that long at least.

I am so tired of people bringing excuses that Mike Shanahan says to use in his defense.

If anything, he is making the haters point for him. He is blaming everyone else, and buying more time (5 years, again, bullshit). He is almost like Obama, who keeps blaming Bush. Enough already, and do something for yourself, or please crawl away somewhere with your non accountable ass.
__________________
Ain't Nothin Like a Good B Western.

YEEHAW
Mechanix544 is offline  
Old 11-06-2012, 06:06 AM   #900
The Starter
 
Mechanix544's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Fort Bliss, TX
Posts: 2,273
Re: Should Mike Shanahan be fired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
I'm not saying praise the man. Everyone wants him on the chopping block when the man was nothing but honest.

Can you actually say that our team wouldn't be doing better with at least 1-2 or our players on the field? I guess we will find out against the Eagles.

I know Shanahan doesn't give two shits about what we say, but the other realistic fans here do. No, i'm not including you.
Wow Bucket, never figured you for a finger pointer nanee nanee boo boo name caller. Nice to know. It's also nice to know that if you are content with continual failure and a sub par product, you are now labeled as being "realistic"

I for one would like to keep my "Unrealistic" banner, wave it from high on the mountain, and hope and pray that my team becomes relevant again.
__________________
Ain't Nothin Like a Good B Western.

YEEHAW
Mechanix544 is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.36805 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25