Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Should Mike Shanahan Be Canonized?

Redskins Locker Room


View Poll Results: Should Mike Shanahan Be Canonized?
Yes! Saint Shanny! 22 26.83%
Nah, Just Make Him the 5th President on "Mt. Rushmore" 16 19.51%
Not Unless You Mean Shot Out of a Canon 20 24.39%
I Have No Sense Of Humor and Don't Get This 24 29.27%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #46
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Should Mike Shanahan Be Canonized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Dare I say Shanahan could get some coach of the year consideration if we win out and take the east.
Even given a seven game winning streak and a 10-6 finish, that's a tough sell. I mean, no matter what, Green Bay is doing something at least as impressive as the Redskins, but against tougher competition. Same with the Seahawks.

Today makes it clear that this team is about more than just Griffin though. For Alfred Morris to be running just as hard against the Browns in the fourth quarter of a December slugfest as he was in the preseason as a rookie trying to make the team: that's ridiculous.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline  

Advertisements
Old 12-16-2012, 05:17 PM   #47
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,694
Re: Should Mike Shanahan Be Canonized?

He should at least be mentioned in the conversation, all I'm saying.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline  
Old 12-16-2012, 05:17 PM   #48
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Should Mike Shanahan Be Canonized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
I wouldn't mind that if it was someone like Jim Zorn who we were talking about or Spurrier but with Shanahan it's a different story. I mean I'm not ready to give up dime a dozen 1,000 yard rushers and a blocking scheme that makes Offensive Lineman.... overachieve.

On top of that theres the roster turnover which happens with virtually any coaching change but seeing the troubles with Denvers offense after Shanny left makes me more hesitant to pull the plug. As many Denver fans will tell you their offensive line went from being a top 5 unit to a liability with virtually the same personnel in less then a year.
McDaniels was a disaster, but the talent was there. Denver is a truly elite team today.
The Goat is offline  
Old 12-16-2012, 05:18 PM   #49
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Should Mike Shanahan Be Canonized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
I wouldn't mind that if it was someone like Jim Zorn who we were talking about or Spurrier but with Shanahan it's a different story. I mean I'm not ready to give up dime a dozen 1,000 yard rushers and a blocking scheme that makes Offensive Lineman.... overachieve.

On top of that theres the roster turnover which happens with virtually any coaching change but seeing the troubles with Denvers offense after Shanny left makes me more hesitant to pull the plug. As many Denver fans will tell you their offensive line went from being a top 5 unit to a liability with virtually the same personnel in less then a year.
I really don't think Denver is lamenting the loss of Mike Shanahan right now. They look like a potential super bowl winner.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline  
Old 12-16-2012, 05:18 PM   #50
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Should Mike Shanahan Be Canonized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
He should at least be mentioned in the conversation, all I'm saying.
That would be a long conversation involving at least 12 other names. Including Bruce Arians, who didn't even begin the year as a HC.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline  
Old 12-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #51
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Should Mike Shanahan Be Canonized?

Needless, the Shanahan coaching prospectus is clearly a lot different than it was going into the bye week. At this point, the important coaching discussion centers around the best way to retain a staff for next year, not who will coach the team.

The staff overall has been hit and miss this year, and generally bad over the last three years. So it's an obvious spot for the Redskins to address in the offseason. But at least now the discussion about Haslett's future doesn't feel like a mere head coach self-preservation argument.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline  
Old 12-16-2012, 05:24 PM   #52
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,694
Re: Should Mike Shanahan Be Canonized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
That would be a long conversation involving at least 12 other names. Including Bruce Arians, who didn't even begin the year as a HC.
12 names?

I'd probably have a hard time naming more than 6.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline  
Old 12-16-2012, 05:24 PM   #53
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Should Mike Shanahan Be Canonized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Even given a seven game winning streak and a 10-6 finish, that's a tough sell. I mean, no matter what, Green Bay is doing something at least as impressive as the Redskins, but against tougher competition. Same with the Seahawks.

Today makes it clear that this team is about more than just Griffin though. For Alfred Morris to be running just as hard against the Browns in the fourth quarter of a December slugfest as he was in the preseason as a rookie trying to make the team: that's ridiculous.
Mike has to be given credit, for doing what he's supposed to do. Given the RG trade and salary cap situation, we're a win now team. Mike is (finally) winning some games now. It's exactly what should be expected, so no you can't take him serious as COY.

It's like when people try to give/take credit for doing exactly what's reasonably expected..."I work hard at my job." "I take good care of my kids." We're supposed to do that stuff lol.

But yeah if Seattle wins a playoff game you gotta give Pete serious consideration (and I don't even like the guy). Same for McCarthy.
The Goat is offline  
Old 12-16-2012, 05:28 PM   #54
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,694
Re: Should Mike Shanahan Be Canonized?

I thought most experts had our expectation at 8-8 (at the very best) or so coming into this year, most fans did too. Going worst to first in the east would be a bit more than expected if you ask me. Add in a potential 7 game streak after being left for dead at 3-6. All with 2 rookie QBs and a rookie RB.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline  
Old 12-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #55
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Should Mike Shanahan Be Canonized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I thought most experts had our expectation at 8-8 (at the very best) or so coming into this year, most fans did too. Going worst to first in the east would be a bit more than expected if you ask me. Add in a potential 7 game streak after being left for dead at 3-6.
Yeah but it's not like we activated Mike and Kyle off IR to save the team after Haslett led us to a disastrous 3-6 start. That was merely the fan perception around the situation at the time.

We're where we are today because the defense has been closer to average than awful in the last four games and the offense stopped the free fall it took into the bye week and has developed a pretty efficient passing game which was not there prior to the bye week.

The one coach that deserves the most credit for that, I believe, is Kyle Shanahan, but it is ultimately a full team effort.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline  
Old 12-16-2012, 05:31 PM   #56
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 11,123
Re: Should Mike Shanahan Be Canonized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Mike has to be given credit, for doing what he's supposed to do. Given the RG trade and salary cap situation, we're a win now team. Mike is (finally) winning some games now. It's exactly what should be expected, so no you can't take him serious as COY.

It's like when people try to give/take credit for doing exactly what's reasonably expected..."I work hard at my job." "I take good care of my kids." We're supposed to do that stuff lol.

But yeah if Seattle wins a playoff game you gotta give Pete serious consideration (and I don't even like the guy). Same for McCarthy.
horribly weak arguement. Rookie QB, tough division, injuries, and a team that was bad last year and not expected to do shit. Mike is clearly in the convo, give me an effing break.
__________________
@RSherman_25 just make sure you stay in Seattle cause without that pass rush you are who we thought you were. 5th rd PK no speed good hands

DeAngelo Hall (@DeAngeloHall23) March 14, 2014
Chico23231 is offline  
Old 12-16-2012, 05:32 PM   #57
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 34
Posts: 9,858
Re: Should Mike Shanahan Be Canonized?

This game had me worried but it turned out to be an exercise in play calling. Props to Kyle for a magnificent game plan and play calling.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline  
Old 12-16-2012, 05:36 PM   #58
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,617
Re: Should Mike Shanahan Be Canonized?

7 wins in a row? Two rookie QBs? Rookie RB? Missing the top WR for most of the year. Davis, Helu, Carriker, Orakpo also gone for much of the year...of course he'd get consideration.

That said I give to Carroll
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline  
Old 12-16-2012, 05:36 PM   #59
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Should Mike Shanahan Be Canonized?

What happens to that 8-8 expectation when the division-favorite Eagles turn into a full-season disaster who we play twice a season?

We always had the talent for 9-10 wins this year. It looked real dismal at 3-6, but it turns out the team was underachieving at that point. They've overachieved the last five games. And the end result is now a two-game season against Philadelphia and Dallas to determine the NFC East. We're right where we're supposed to be.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline  
Old 12-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #60
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
What happens to that 8-8 expectation when the division-favorite Eagles turn into a full-season disaster who we play twice a season?

We always had the talent for 9-10 wins this year. It looked real dismal at 3-6, but it turns out the team was underachieving at that point. They've overachieved the last five games. And the end result is now a two-game season against Philadelphia and Dallas to determine the NFC East. We're right where we're supposed to be.
You were ready to fire him for his underachievement. (And called us morons for supporting him). Seems to me he should get commensurate praise for the over achievement.

Sorry, count me unimpressed woth your reasoning.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.29540 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25