Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Should Mike Shanahan Be Canonized?

Redskins Locker Room


View Poll Results: Should Mike Shanahan Be Canonized?
Yes! Saint Shanny! 22 26.83%
Nah, Just Make Him the 5th President on "Mt. Rushmore" 16 19.51%
Not Unless You Mean Shot Out of a Canon 20 24.39%
I Have No Sense Of Humor and Don't Get This 24 29.27%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012, 06:17 PM   #61
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,738
Re: Should Mike Shanahan Be Canonized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
I really wanted to bump the "Should Mike be fired thread" but it's locked. Would of loved to re-live all those glorious opinions from the torch lighters who now are the same people rocking Mike Shanahan T-shirts

They should reopen that thread and let some of those peeps eat some crow.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline  

Advertisements
Old 12-16-2012, 06:21 PM   #62
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Should Mike Shanahan Be Canonized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
You were ready to fire him for his underachievement. (And called us morons for supporting him). Seems to me he should get commensurate praise for the over achievement.

Sorry, count me unimpressed woth your reasoning.
Just stop. No one called anyone a moron for supporting him. The specific comment you're refering to was directed at the idea that waiting five years (as opposed to three) was a wise move. Which remains every bit as moronic now as it was then.

The reason no one is talking about firing Mike Shanahan now is because he's winning games in year three, which is the baseline expectation for anyone who holds employment as an NFL head coach, including Zorn, Gibbs, Spurrier, Schottenheimer, and Turner. He's actually passed Zorn in winning percentage here, so good for him.

There's still a job to finish here, but the Redskins are back on the right track, so there's no imperative to make a change at the top right now.

The interesting discussion in the offseason will be where to go from here. And it will have to wait (hopefully) on the results of our playoff run.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline  
Old 12-16-2012, 06:24 PM   #63
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Should Mike Shanahan Be Canonized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
They should reopen that thread and let some of those peeps eat some crow.
Or you could start a new one.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline  
Old 12-16-2012, 06:30 PM   #64
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 11,637
Re: Should Mike Shanahan Be Canonized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Or you could start a new one.
some people just cant get enough of "i told you so"
__________________
Ditka for President
Chico23231 is offline  
Old 12-16-2012, 06:33 PM   #65
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Should Mike Shanahan Be Canonized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
some people just cant get enough of "i told you so"
Well, those who aren't right very much have a tendency to want to milk it.

If I really wanted to, I could spin the second half surge of the Redskins as something I was right on because I advocated patience for the remainder of the season with the coaching staff. But that would be claiming victory in the middle of a process that hasn't played itself out quite yet. I'm just happy the Redskins are back on track.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline  
Old 12-16-2012, 06:36 PM   #66
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,064
Re: Should Mike Shanahan Be Canonized?

Kevin Sheehan brings up a great point in indicators for the health of an organization. You lose your starting rookie QB and your BU rookie QB (that you drafted) brings it home. Not to mention that 11 draft picks that you drafted contribute meaningfully.
And you shift gears in your O to match your QB and down the road you go.
Mike and Co and BA deserve a huge Attaboy for the turnaround that is in progress in DC currently............HTTR
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
ďItís all the political correct idiots in America, thatís all it is. Itís got nothing to do with anything else.
-Mike Ditka
Hog1 is offline  
Old 12-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #67
Special Teams
 
SCRedskinsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 396
Re: Should Mike Shanahan Be Canonized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Just stop. No one called anyone a moron for supporting him. The specific comment you're refering to was directed at the idea that waiting five years (as opposed to three) was a wise move. Which remains every bit as moronic now as it was then.

The reason no one is talking about firing Mike Shanahan now is because he's winning games in year three, which is the baseline expectation for anyone who holds employment as an NFL head coach, including Zorn, Gibbs, Spurrier, Schottenheimer, and Turner. He's actually passed Zorn in winning percentage here, so good for him.

There's still a job to finish here, but the Redskins are back on the right track, so there's no imperative to make a change at the top right now.

The interesting discussion in the offseason will be where to go from here. And it will have to wait (hopefully) on the results of our playoff run.
GTripp I love the insight and analysis you provide this forum.

But there will be no discussion regarding the Shanahan's in the off season even if we were to lose out from here. And your "no imperative to make a change at the top right now" statement is self-righteous BS. Your ego is exceeding your grasp of what's going on here.

IMHO
SCRedskinsFan is offline  
Old 12-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #68
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Should Mike Shanahan Be Canonized?

I think the incredible results of the 2012 draft class have somewhat masked the fact that the 2011 draft class took a large step back this year (and that the 2010 class took a step forward). You can see that the Redskins depth is moving in a positive direction overall at a lot of positions.

But that was my argument in favor of the Cousins pick on the day it was made. It was a depth pick, and it got crucified. Defensively, the Redskins actually have less depth now than they did in 2010, but at least they aren't a disaster in spite of their weaknesses. And the offense just put up 38 on a decent defensive team without it's starting quarterback and with the team's top receiving target on injured reserve.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline  
Old 12-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #69
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Should Mike Shanahan Be Canonized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRedskinsFan View Post
GTripp I love the insight and analysis you provide this forum.

But there will be no discussion regarding the Shanahan's in the off season even if we were to lose out from here. And your "no imperative to make a change at the top right now" statement is self-righteous BS. Your ego is exceeding your grasp of what's going on here.

IMHO
Agreed, but that's been the problem all along: a lack of accountability.

When you're winning games, accountability is something you talk about in a positive light. That's the difference now.

And this really isn't about me at all, but whatever.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline  
Old 12-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #70
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 11,637
Re: Should Mike Shanahan Be Canonized?

bruce and Mike have done it the right way. Aside from a couple bumps {McNabb}, stuck to the draft and was patient in finding the right QBs to run his system. Anybody who thought this woulda been in first two years is certifiable insane. Glad we are finally reaping the benifits of a cohesive plan
__________________
Ditka for President
Chico23231 is offline  
Old 12-16-2012, 06:58 PM   #71
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,064
Re: Should Mike Shanahan Be Canonized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
bruce and Mike have done it the right way. Aside from a couple bumps {McNabb}, stuck to the draft and was patient in finding the right QBs to run his system. Anybody who thought this woulda been in first two years is certifiable insane. Glad we are finally reaping the benifits of a cohesive plan
In one of Mike's first presser's he stated this was a 5 year deal and thinking differently was foolish.........
Seems to be working out.
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
ďItís all the political correct idiots in America, thatís all it is. Itís got nothing to do with anything else.
-Mike Ditka
Hog1 is offline  
Old 12-16-2012, 07:01 PM   #72
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Should Mike Shanahan Be Canonized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
bruce and Mike have done it the right way. Aside from a couple bumps {McNabb}, stuck to the draft and was patient in finding the right QBs to run his system. Anybody who thought this woulda been in first two years is certifiable insane. Glad we are finally reaping the benifits of a cohesive plan
I want to see them sustain it. If they can build up around Griffin without the benefit of any first round picks the next two years, then they've done a really good job.

Or if they win the Superbowl this year, I don't give a crap if they sustain it.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline  
Old 12-16-2012, 08:14 PM   #73
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Should Mike Shanahan Be Canonized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
horribly weak arguement. Rookie QB, tough division, injuries, and a team that was bad last year and not expected to do shit. Mike is clearly in the convo, give me an effing break.
Wrong. Rookie QB we bet the farm on because he's arguably the most dynamic athlete in pro football and actually been better than anyone expected. We're actually one of the healthier teams right now, and have been remarkably healthy across the oline this season. And finally, the last two years have been atrocious (Zorn-line in wins) because we were rebuilding, right? We're a win now team. Next year we're likely to see defenses catch up to us a bit, most QBs experience some kind of sophomore slump, and again we're not in any position to add significant talent in the next two years UNLESS we bet the farm in the next decade lol.

Unless you think Mike has suddenly become a defensive expert, as in he took the scheming away from Haslett, I don't know how you even put Mike as the most improved coach on the team, let alone the league. Haslett, who seemed overwhelmed the first half of the season, has schemed his way back into respectability. Kyle, who flashed genius early, is putting whole games together now instead of just series and quarters.

Where Mike gets credit is not buckling under the intense pressure of being 3-6 when he's coaching a win now team. It's not a small thing IMO, takes some real brass.
The Goat is offline  
Old 12-16-2012, 09:24 PM   #74
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Wrong. Rookie QB we bet the farm on because he's arguably the most dynamic athlete in pro football and actually been better than anyone expected. We're actually one of the healthier teams right now, and have been remarkably healthy across the oline this season. And finally, the last two years have been atrocious (Zorn-line in wins) because we were rebuilding, right? We're a win now team. Next year we're likely to see defenses catch up to us a bit, most QBs experience some kind of sophomore slump, and again we're not in any position to add significant talent in the next two years UNLESS we bet the farm in the next decade lol.

Unless you think Mike has suddenly become a defensive expert, as in he took the scheming away from Haslett, I don't know how you even put Mike as the most improved coach on the team, let alone the league. Haslett, who seemed overwhelmed the first half of the season, has schemed his way back into respectability. Kyle, who flashed genius early, is putting whole games together now instead of just series and quarters.

Where Mike gets credit is not buckling under the intense pressure of being 3-6 when he's coaching a win now team. It's not a small thing IMO, takes some real brass.
so much wrong...

we aren't one of the healthier teams.. its on you to prove an obviously wrong statement

qb slumps are highly overblown. Newton's stats are better this year, Flacco and Ryan have had highly productive seasons every year. I looked at stats for a bunch of qbs at one point and the drop in passer rating was mostly 1 or 2 points or non-existent. QBs in good schemes don't generally suddenly slump.

We are short 1 draft pick next year, so far we have found several good late round picks so I don't think suddenly we will find no talent to keep building. We are winning now, but not a "win now" team mode. We have youth infused on both sides of the team, and will keep adding througb FA AND the draft.

I do agree both coordinators have stepped up during this winning streak.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is online now  
Old 12-16-2012, 10:04 PM   #75
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,705
Re: Should Mike Shanahan Be Canonized?

I am not going to cry if Haslett is gone, but when you think about how this D has taken control in the 2nd half since the Dallas game, and we should get more talent on that side of the ball in the off season, plus our guys back I could be ok if he stays as well.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is online now  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.32466 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25