Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Should Mike Shanahan Be Canonized?

Redskins Locker Room


View Poll Results: Should Mike Shanahan Be Canonized?
Yes! Saint Shanny! 22 26.83%
Nah, Just Make Him the 5th President on "Mt. Rushmore" 16 19.51%
Not Unless You Mean Shot Out of a Canon 20 24.39%
I Have No Sense Of Humor and Don't Get This 24 29.27%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 12:02 AM   #91
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Should Mike Shanahan Be Canonized?

So, wait, I'm confused: are all 32 teams in a youth movement because they employ players who are young? Or should we do this by something more objective?
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline  

Advertisements
Old 12-17-2012, 12:05 AM   #92
The Starter
 
donofriose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,959
Re: Should Mike Shanahan Be Canonized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
So, wait, I'm confused: are all 32 teams in a youth movement because they employ players who are young? Or should we do this by something more objective?
By stating that Griffin was the youth movement you implied that Griffin was the only young player on the skins, but the numbers would prove that to be false.
donofriose is offline  
Old 12-17-2012, 12:08 AM   #93
Playmaker
 
HailGreen28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,894
Re: Should Mike Shanahan Be Canonized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
The average age of the Redskins roster is still on the older side. The idea of the youth movement is real, but a lot of those players are at the end of their rookie contracts now and will be expensive to retain (or already are expensive, such as Garcon or Morgan).

Here's the youth movement: Griffin is 22. That's it. That's the youth. Five years from now, Aaron Rodgers will be 34, Peyton Manning will be 41, and Drew Brees will be 38. Griffin will be 27.
Well, we have other young players drafted and signed that are pretty young too. Just compared the 2012 roster to the 2009 roster. LINK LINK

At the bottom of the page links, Avg age in 2009: 27.6, Avg age in 2012: 26.5.

Looking at the starters though, upper part of pages, there's a lot more starters over 27 in 2009, than in 2012. Even with fewer starting players being listed for 2012 (I guess because it's a work in progress?), the 2009 starting roster looks a lot older than 2012, to me.

I think Shanny's doing a great job rebuilding with youth, after the Cerrato disaster.
HailGreen28 is offline  
Old 12-17-2012, 12:08 AM   #94
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Should Mike Shanahan Be Canonized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by donofriose View Post
By stating that Griffin was the youth movement you implied that Griffin was the only young player on the skins, but the numbers would prove that to be false.
No. I never implied anything like that.

Griffin is the youngest starting quarterback in the league. But that's also the only position on the Skins where we are measurably younger than everyone else in the league. But when you considered that we traded future draft picks for that one player...then it's not a stretch to point out the absurdity of calling one player a youth movement.

It's fair to say that the Shanahan-Redskins have been youth-conscious. But to suggest they are actually young goes against the numbers.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline  
Old 12-17-2012, 12:12 AM   #95
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Should Mike Shanahan Be Canonized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailGreen28 View Post
Well, we have other young players drafted and signed that are pretty young too. Just compared the 2012 roster to the 2009 roster. LINK LINK

At the bottom of the page links, Avg age in 2009: 27.6, Avg age in 2012: 27.

Looking at the starters though, upper part of pages, there's a lot more starters over 27 in 2009, than in 2012. Even with fewer starting players being listed for 2012 (I guess because it's a work in progress?), the 2009 starting roster looks a lot older than 2012, to me.
I think we were 31st in the league in av. age in 2009. We're like 23rd or something now.

But it's not like they could have reasonably trended anywhere but where they did go, just simple regression towards the mean. If the Redskins suddenly get really young in the next two years, then, yeah, we can call it a youth movement. But that's not where I suspect this roster is headed.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline  
Old 12-17-2012, 12:16 AM   #96
Impact Rookie
 
Bushead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 780
Re: Should Mike Shanahan Be Canonized?

My mind hurts.
Bushead is offline  
Old 12-17-2012, 12:17 AM   #97
The Starter
 
donofriose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,959
Re: Should Mike Shanahan Be Canonized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
No. I never implied anything like that.

Griffin is the youngest starting quarterback in the league. But that's also the only position on the Skins where we are measurably younger than everyone else in the league. But when you considered that we traded future draft picks for that one player...then it's not a stretch to point out the absurdity of calling one player a youth movement.

It's fair to say that the Shanahan-Redskins have been youth-conscious. But to suggest they are actually young goes against the numbers.
"Here's the youth movement: Griffin is 22. That's it. That's the youth."

- That is what you stated in your previous post. We are also young at RB, TE (we signed cooley because Davis got injured more of a desperation move) and OLB. Yes we do still have a lot of older players but to say Griffin/quarterbacks is the only young depth chart we have I believe is inaccurate.
donofriose is offline  
Old 12-17-2012, 12:20 AM   #98
Playmaker
 
HailGreen28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,894
Re: Should Mike Shanahan Be Canonized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
I think we were 31st in the league in av. age in 2009. We're like 23rd or something now.

But it's not like they could have reasonably trended anywhere but where they did go, just simple regression towards the mean. If the Redskins suddenly get really young in the next two years, then, yeah, we can call it a youth movement. But that's not where I suspect this roster is headed.
Can't deny the direction Shanny has taken the team though. Towards youth, especially our starters. And that's with 39 year old Sav Rocca on the team. (Lol had no idea he was older than Fletch)
HailGreen28 is offline  
Old 12-17-2012, 12:21 AM   #99
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,880
Re: Should Mike Shanahan Be Canonized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
The average age of the Redskins roster is still on the older side. The idea of the youth movement is real, but a lot of those players are at the end of their rookie contracts now and will be expensive to retain (or already are expensive, such as Garcon or Morgan).

Here's the youth movement: Griffin is 22. That's it. That's the youth. Five years from now, Aaron Rodgers will be 34, Peyton Manning will be 41, and Drew Brees will be 38. Griffin will be 27.
7 players are over 30:
Rocca 39
Fletcher 37
Moss 33
Jordan Black 32
Grossman 32
J Brown 31
Madieu Williams 31

Everyone else is 30 or under.

23 are 22 -24 yo, and that includes:
2 qbs and our starting:
RB, LT, MLB(Riley), OLB
and key but not necessarily starting:
WR(2), CB, TE, DE, RB

The roster currently shows solid youth, and some solid "aged" veterans.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline  
Old 12-17-2012, 12:25 AM   #100
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Should Mike Shanahan Be Canonized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by donofriose View Post
"Here's the youth movement: Griffin is 22. That's it. That's the youth."

- That is what you stated in your previous post. We are also young at RB, TE (we signed cooley because Davis got injured more of a desperation move) and OLB. Yes we do still have a lot of older players but to say Griffin/quarterbacks is the only young depth chart we have I believe is inaccurate.
Youth movement!

Quarterback is the spot on the field where we are measurably younger than the rest of the NFL. We're "not old" at a whole bunch of other places, but so is every team.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline  
Old 12-17-2012, 12:28 AM   #101
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
No. I never implied anything like that.
BS... that is exactly what you said.!
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline  
Old 12-17-2012, 12:30 AM   #102
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,880
Re: Should Mike Shanahan Be Canonized?

Also, If a team is making a youth movement, I think the positions you would like to fill are exactly what we have. QB, RB (since they age "faster" obviously), LT, and MLB. We have, Griffin(22), Morris(24), Williams(24) and Riley(24), all under contract and reasonably certain we will be able to resign them when they come up.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline  
Old 12-17-2012, 12:34 AM   #103
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Should Mike Shanahan Be Canonized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
BS... that is exactly what you said.!
Completely false.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline  
Old 12-17-2012, 12:37 AM   #104
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Should Mike Shanahan Be Canonized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Also, If a team is making a youth movement, I think the positions you would like to fill are exactly what we have. QB, RB (since they age "faster" obviously), LT, and MLB. We have, Griffin(22), Morris(24), Williams(24) and Riley(24), all under contract and reasonably certain we will be able to resign them when they come up.
Well sure, adding key players at key positions through the draft is a major reason why we're enjoying this recent run of success.

I just don't understand why people think that the Redskins getting returns on their draft suddenly makes them unique or young when the numbers say otherwise.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline  
Old 12-17-2012, 12:45 AM   #105
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Well sure, adding key players at key positions through the draft is a major reason why we're enjoying this recent run of success.

I just don't understand why people think that the Redskins getting returns on their draft suddenly makes them unique or young when the numbers say otherwise.
Who's saying we are "unique". We are, at least I am simply crediting MS and BA for adding youth and depth in a manner we haven't seen in the last 15 years at least.

You have consistently criticized both the talent acquisition of MS and the usage of that talent. I simply posit, regardless of how other teams build their roster, I am pleased with MS's roster and his usage of the same.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.30115 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25