Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


How much would you like to see the option offense?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #1
The Starter
 
Redskin Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 1,525
How much would you like to see the option offense?

Is it too much or not enough? Build on it or slowly pull away
__________________
WIN, LOSE OR DRAW I'M A DIE-HARD REDSKIN FAN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
First they ban winning...now this?
Redskin Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-18-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,217
Re: How much would you like to see the option offense?

This doesn't even make sense. They are running the option offense with some mixture of the normal offense.


No. Option offenses will not work in the NFL on a long term basis. Players are too fast, and defenses can adjust soon enough. Look at the Carolina Panthers for a prime example.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:57 PM   #3
Gamebreaker
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 12,595
Re: How much would you like to see the option offense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskin Warrior View Post
Is it too much or not enough? Build on it or slowly pull away
As RG3 learns the ins and outs of the passing game we should see less of it, so slowly pull away. But always have it so we can go to it to change up the game, dictate the tempo and the overall aggressiveness of the offense.
__________________
Boycott Rolling Stone Magazine
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
The Starter
 
Redskin Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 1,525
Re: How much would you like to see the option offense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
This doesn't even make sense. They are running the option offense with some mixture of the normal offense.


No. Option offenses will not work in the NFL on a long term basis. Players are too fast, and defenses can adjust soon enough. Look at the Carolina Panthers for a prime example.
I posted how MUCH option offense would you like to see them run? Or at least that's what I meant.
__________________
WIN, LOSE OR DRAW I'M A DIE-HARD REDSKIN FAN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
First they ban winning...now this?
Redskin Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #5
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,217
Re: How much would you like to see the option offense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskin Warrior View Post
I posted how MUCH option offense would you like to see them run? Or at least that's what I meant.


None. (exposes QB to too many hits)


Only exceptions are for special situations or downs.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:26 PM   #6
Playmaker
 
HailGreen28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,894
Re: How much would you like to see the option offense?

I like the zone read, used sporadically, along with the classic Shanny bootleg. Our base should be run Morris and play action.

I don't want to us run an actual QB option play, where the QB draws a defender to him and pitches to an RB on the OUTSIDE, ever again. You guarantee RG3 gets hit, that play. I feel like every time we run that, it subtracts a week off RG3's total playing career time.
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:36 PM   #7
Pro Bowl
 
SKINSnCANES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: New Jersey
Age: 32
Posts: 5,427
Re: How much would you like to see the option offense?

I don't like the option. At first I loved how it made the defenses off balance. But after seeing it more I think rGIIi is so talented passing that his biggest runs come off of passing plays. When they do the option it keeps everyone in the box. Running on pass plays gives them more options, no pun intended.
__________________
"I'm used to winning, coming from the University of Miami. " Clinton Portis
SKINSnCANES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:45 PM   #8
Playmaker
 
Bucket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Martinsburg, WV
Posts: 3,655
Re: How much would you like to see the option offense?

I think the did the option pitch twice? That will not work in the present day NFL.

The Option draw though will work in the NFL, and it can work a lot. RG3 has proved it for 9 weeks now. Although, we all know all these high paid arm chair coaches around here will disagree and have some reason or not to why it doesn't work.
__________________
I need something to cheer about
Redskin Fan since '88
Be friends on Twitter! @thecasualhero
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:07 PM   #9
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,217
Re: How much would you like to see the option offense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
The Option draw though will work in the NFL, and it can work a lot. RG3 has proved it for 9 weeks now. Although, we all know all these high paid arm chair coaches around here will disagree and have some reason or not to why it doesn't work.
Proving it for 9 weeks doesn't mean squat really. Panthers ran read option last year, and ran it this year. It's not working this year. Hell, it's not even as affective with us now as it was in the beginning.


I would like to take back to John Fox and Tim Tebow. They basically modified their offense to a read option/college type offense. Even goes as far to say Tebow would be screwed in a conventional offense.

Smart like a Fox: Broncos coach adapts to Tebow's strengths - NFL.com

Fox has been on record as saying that type of offense wasn't going to cut it for long in the NFL. Which is why you saw them jettison Tebow during the off-season.

I think the read option can work on occasions, but not as a main part of your offense.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:51 PM   #10
Playmaker
 
Bucket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Martinsburg, WV
Posts: 3,655
Re: How much would you like to see the option offense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Proving it for 9 weeks doesn't mean squat really. Panthers ran read option last year, and ran it this year. It's not working this year. Hell, it's not even as affective with us now as it was in the beginning.


I would like to take back to John Fox and Tim Tebow. They basically modified their offense to a read option/college type offense. Even goes as far to say Tebow would be screwed in a conventional offense.

Smart like a Fox: Broncos coach adapts to Tebow's strengths - NFL.com

Fox has been on record as saying that type of offense wasn't going to cut it for long in the NFL. Which is why you saw them jettison Tebow during the off-season.

I think the read option can work on occasions, but not as a main part of your offense.
So it doesn't mean squat that it's working? I fail to understand your argument.I didn't really see it run as our main offense today, but it is our backbone and being top 10 in offense in the NFL. Well, you can't really argue it doesn't work at this moment in time.

The only way I see you saying it wont work is if it ever stops working for us. Which it hasn't.. You can't compare Panthers vs Redskins.. They don't have the QB we do.
__________________
I need something to cheer about
Redskin Fan since '88
Be friends on Twitter! @thecasualhero
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:12 PM   #11
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,217
Re: How much would you like to see the option offense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
So it doesn't mean squat that it's working? I fail to understand your argument.I didn't really see it run as our main offense today, but it is our backbone and being top 10 in offense in the NFL. Well, you can't really argue it doesn't work at this moment in time.

The only way I see you saying it wont work is if it ever stops working for us. Which it hasn't.. You can't compare Panthers vs Redskins.. They don't have the QB we do.

It wasn't run as our main offense today. Proving it works for 9 weeks doesn't mean it's proven to work in the years to come. Ask Denver and John Fox that. Also, my argument was very clear.

Quote:
I think the read option can work on occasions, but not as a main part of your offense.
The implication here is that it's not going to work long term as a main offense, not that it wouldn't work in spells or that it wouldn't work now. I pointed out how it worked great for Carolina the first year, but not so much the second year.

That said, I highly doubt in the future that read option will be run with the type of frequency as it's being run now. I'm still in favor of using it (even in the future) on special occasions and downs. The main issue with read option is that it exposes your QB to hits on every play. He becomes that runner so to speak, and as you saw in the Cincinnati game, it wasn't pretty. Our QB (no matter how fantastic he is) will never last long enough if it's ran with frequency for a long time.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:05 PM   #12
Playmaker
 
Bucket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Martinsburg, WV
Posts: 3,655
Re: How much would you like to see the option offense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
It wasn't run as our main offense today. Proving it works for 9 weeks doesn't mean it's proven to work in the years to come. Ask Denver and John Fox that. Also, my argument was very clear.



The implication here is that it's not going to work long term as a main offense, not that it wouldn't work in spells or that it wouldn't work now. I pointed out how it worked great for Carolina the first year, but not so much the second year.

That said, I highly doubt in the future that read option will be run with the type of frequency as it's being run now. I'm still in favor of using it (even in the future) on special occasions and downs. The main issue with read option is that it exposes your QB to hits on every play. He becomes that runner so to speak, and as you saw in the Cincinnati game, it wasn't pretty. Our QB (no matter how fantastic he is) will never last long enough if it's ran with frequency for a long time.
You're argument is that it doesn't work for one team, so it wont work for another.. Just because the 3-4 doesn't work for Washington atm, does that mean that it wont work for other teams? Obviously not..

Although, I know it works and it is working.. Comparing an offense run by Tim Tebow, and a offense run by RG3 is like comparing fish to birds.

If it works now, and works next week, and even next year.. When do you start changing your opinion? This league develops everyday.. There is no "staple"
__________________
I need something to cheer about
Redskin Fan since '88
Be friends on Twitter! @thecasualhero
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:21 PM   #13
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,217
Re: How much would you like to see the option offense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
You're argument is that it doesn't work for one team, so it wont work for another.. Just because the 3-4 doesn't work for Washington atm, does that mean that it wont work for other teams? Obviously not..

Although, I know it works and it is working.. Comparing an offense run by Tim Tebow, and a offense run by RG3 is like comparing fish to birds.

If it works now, and works next week, and even next year.. When do you start changing your opinion? This league develops everyday.. There is no "staple"
No. My argument is that it'll work on occasions and sporadically, it's just not going to work long term as a base offense (not that we run it as a base). I just presented 2 examples and a NFL head coach basically telling you that it's not going to work long term. Again, our QB won't be around long enough if it was ran as a base offense.


Your hypothetical about next year is a straw man argument because we have no plans of running the read option as a base offense. I already said that it would work on occasions and special occasions. If you think you can run read option as a primary offense for long term, then there is nothing more to be said here. You believe what you want to believe.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:27 PM   #14
Registered User
 
CultBrennan59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,527
Re: How much would you like to see the option offense?

We should do the option as much as other teams in the nfl do a 'trick' play.

So 2-3 times a game. It gets your QB killed. We do the option now way, Way, WAY too much.

I'd much rather have RG3 in the pocket, bombing passes down the field like he was doing today, than optioning him 10+ times a game, or like what we did in the bengals game, getting him killed.
CultBrennan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:03 AM   #15
Playmaker
 
Bucket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Martinsburg, WV
Posts: 3,655
Re: How much would you like to see the option offense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
No. My argument is that it'll work on occasions and sporadically, it's just not going to work long term as a base offense (not that we run it as a base). I just presented 2 examples and a NFL head coach basically telling you that it's not going to work long term. Again, our QB won't be around long enough if it was ran as a base offense.


Your hypothetical about next year is a straw man argument because we have no plans of running the read option as a base offense. I already said that it would work on occasions and special occasions. If you think you can run read option as a primary offense for long term, then there is nothing more to be said here. You believe what you want to believe.
How do you know we have no plans of running it next year? Obviously you know more then me because you already know whats happening next year.
__________________
I need something to cheer about
Redskin Fan since '88
Be friends on Twitter! @thecasualhero
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.29525 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25